Best place to buy Tongxin motors ?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Dan,

Interesting. Using google translate it looks like the order has already been placed though.

I have given up trying to email Tongxin directly (sent loads of emails, filled out the spread sheet even tried to by 6+), but I guess if we could get another reseller to get them for us then I would be interested.

I would almost certainly buy two 36V 260RPM 80mm ones and another 36V 175RPM 100mm spare for my Cytronex.

PS I have found the company they are dealing with and have emailed them.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Wow

They replied promptly and have given me a price for a kit plus delivery to fit to my Brompton :eek:

I may order one kit to see if they deliver and we could then do a bulk order for this forum :p

Regards

Jerry

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I work it out at around £150 incl delivery for a full kit i.e. motor controller, throttle, brakes, pedlec etc..

The motor itself is down at about $78 ex delivery :eek:

Obviously there is also import duty/tax when it arrives this end etc.

It might be an idea to get a few of us together to do it, though I am not sure I would want to take the risk on a large order before I prove first that I could get a sample kit to make sure all was ok.

At around £150 I might be prepared to take the risk for myself, but would certainly not want to risk other peoples money for them.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Member johnp bought some in this way from Tongxin with a view to supplying them for forum members, but the response wasn't all that good and he isn't doing it any more. Last I knew was that he had one Brompton suitable one left, but that was some while ago.

Here's his last September post about this in reply to my mentioning this:

johnp's experiences with importing Tongxin motors

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Thanks Flecc,

I have trawled through all those post a few times now :p

I guess this is my last ditch attempt to buy one as a DIY kit, before I go to either EWC or Freedom E.

Both of them are currently awaiting stock so I have nothing to lose, well except maybe £150 I suppose :(

Regards

Jerry

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Hi Jerry

Good luck with this. I'd be interested too. I exchanged emails with Johnp a few months ago. He said that he stopped doing it because of the problem of returns. It may be that we'd avoid this by using the motors in small wheels and perhaps having a better controller.

All the best

Andy

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Nice product listing Jerry :D

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Andy,

You could certainly use the Cytronex battery the problem is determining the pin outs on the connector.

It took a while but I have identified and can source what connector they use HERE

Using a volt meter on the battery I have established that there are two pairs of pins powered at 36v. I am guessing one is for the lights and one is for the motor power but I am not sure which pair powers which yet. Taking the connector plug apart on the bike should reveal which, in that the motor ones will probably be heavier gauge leads. The problem is I will have to cut away the heat shrink/water proofing on the connector to establish this :(

As I plan to use this kit on the Brompton I will likely build my own A123 packs of 6s1p connecting them in series for 36v and parallel them up, in increments of 2.3Ah depending on distance I want to travel.

That said I might start off by using the Cytronex bottle battery once I figure out the above.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Andy,

You could certainly use the Cytronex battery the problem is determining the pin outs on the connector.

It took a while but I have identified and can source what connector they use HERE

Using a volt meter on the battery I have established that there are two pairs of pins powered at 36v. I am guessing one is for the lights and one is for the motor power but I am not sure which pair powers which yet. Taking the connector plug apart on the bike should reveal which, in that the motor ones will probably be heavier gauge leads. The problem is I will have to cut away the heat shrink/water proofing on the connector to establish this :(

As I plan to use this kit on the Brompton I will likely build my own A123 packs of 6s1p connecting them in series for 36v and parallel them up, in increments of 2.3Ah depending on distance I want to travel.

That said I might start off by using the Cytronex bottle battery once I figure out the above.

Regards

Jerry
I thought I read somewhere the Cytronex battery contains a voltage regulator to supply the lights - if this is the case you should see a 7V output somewhere...

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Good point.

Actually I stopped checking after I found the two 36v pairs, maybe there is another pair that supply 7v :confused:

Its confusing that they would have two 36v pairs.

I don't really want to mess about with the Cytronex battery as I said and will probably build specific A123 ones for my Brompton conversion.

Regards

Jerry

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Good point.

Actually I stopped checking after I found the two 36v pairs, maybe there is another pair that supply 7v :confused:

Its confusing that they would have two 36v pairs.

I don't really want to mess about with the Cytronex battery as I said and will probably build specific A123 ones for my Brompton conversion.

Regards

Jerry
Could it be for the two seperate boost control buttons for high and low speed,if the system still operates in this way.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Interesting you may have something there mine is the older model with the two buttons, but then I would expect one of the voltages to be lower unless the two speed related buttons work via reducing the current ?

I suspect that is all handled in the controller though.

I will check the other pins for a lower 7v output.

Regards

Jerry

emissions-free

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2009
Shanghai
Gents,

I live in China and I'm very involved with ebike. I'm also British originally from London but have lived all over. My father still lives in London, Sister's in Southampton. Anyway, I'm already in contact with various suppliers of all ebike components as well as bicycle manufacturers and I'm willing to work with whoever is interested to put together a nice kit for whichever application is required with the parts that you want. Will also have battery pack manufacturing equipment very soon, but custom packs are no problem from my supplier. If there's any particular brand that is especially required I will be able to obtain parts. I already have a supplier for 26650 A123 cells and they are quite reasonably priced too, but there's much cheaper ways to do a workable pack which also have greater energy density too.

Nobody needs to send me money for 5 kits or any kits for that matter initially. Just work with me and it can be looked upon as a bit of a group buy for a custome kit and I'm sure you'll find I could likely do it cheaper than you could by going direct and without all the headaches that come with trying to deal with some of these companies direct. You should also consider that Dahon bikes are manufactured in Shenzhen in Southern China, so there is the possibility to source a fork and have it modified for a 100mm motor, or just source a compatable fork if available. There are many 100mm motors that have excellent performance, relatively low cost and do not have any question marks regarding their reliability. I already have several examples of small 100mm geared hub motors that could be used in small wheel applications.

The only thing I would say is that things do take time in China so please understand that the parts will not arrive next day and the more involved the kit is, the more time it will take to get everything together so that I'm happy it's a good product and above all safe. Parts can be consolidated with existing seafreaight shipments at very low shipping costs or sent airmail but it's quite expensive that way.

I already have a sample of a really nice, tiny little folder that does 25kph, weighs 14kgs, with a full size 250W hub motor and lithium batteries that are integrated into the frame, that could be officially supplied in UK with VAT paid for significantly lot less than I've seen an e bike kit including batteries only. I'm not really interested in shipping stuff direct to avoid tax and duty but could if that's what you really want.

Drop me a PM if you're interested or just chat here. By the way my name is Paul :)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Thanks for the heads up Paul.

I already have a Brompton arriving next week but that little folder looks nice. What size wheels are on it ?

Regards

Jerry