Best retro fit mid drive unit

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
I have a Bafang/8Fun mid drive unit and on the whole it has been great but sourcing parts for it is a nightmare!
Any thoughts on other makes of retro fit mid drives?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Which parts are you after? When I've researched spares, as a just in case scenario, I managed to source virtually everything.

Is it a BBS01, BBS02 or BBSHD?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I would double check with the seller though, to make sure it comes with the sensor ring.

Also, it might be worth browsing through their parts list and buying any other spares you think you could need in the future. Parts are usually cheap, but postage can be expensive for small items, so pile it all in one order.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
Have already been in touch with them and dozens of other companies at home and around the world!, Anna Lee their sales manager replied they do not sell the ring on its own and they are checking to see if the drive shaft has the ring fitted, £60 with postage for the shaft just for a magnetic ring!
Bafang Europe and China were completely dis-interested!

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
I would double check with the seller though, to make sure it comes with the sensor ring.

Also, it might be worth browsing through their parts list and buying any other spares you think you could need in the future. Parts are usually cheap, but postage can be expensive for small items, so pile it all in one order.
The postage price is relative to how many parts you buy, more parts = more postage

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Have already been in touch with them and dozens of other companies at home and around the world!, Anna Lee their sales manager replied they do not sell the ring on its own and they are checking to see if the drive shaft has the ring fitted, £60 with postage for the shaft just for a magnetic ring!
Bafang Europe and China were completely dis-interested!
Electric bikes have never been a cheap hobby, although my wife thinks it is ;)

Seriously though, I don't think you would find as many spare parts for other manufacturer's products, than you can for the Bafang.

£60 isn't too bad considering that's delivered. Plus you get a brand new clutch and final drive cog included. Yours is looking a little on the rusty side.

D

Deleted member 4366

Bafang BBSxx outnumbers other CD kits by about 100:1, so the chance of getting spares for other kits is close to zero. The best thing would be to make your own usung a hub-motor and a Cyclone or Eclipse freewheeling crank, then you can get spares for everything.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
The postage price is relative to how many parts you buy, more parts = more postage
They must have changed their delivery policies. It used to be based on weight, so you could add a few cheap, lightweight parts and not pay any extra in postage.

It was handy for adding nuts, bolts, bearings etc, that you might have needed sometime in the motor's life.

Reactions: nigel610

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
They must have changed their delivery policies. It used to be based on weight, so you could add a few cheap, lightweight, parts and not pay any extra in postage.

It was handy for adding nuts, bolts, bearings etc, that you might have needed sometime in the motor's life.
The shaft cost is £33 + £27.68 postage if I add a bearing set on for the shaft at £12.29 the postage goes up to £35.29 total so an increase of £7.61 postage just for a couple of bearings

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I don't so much mind the £60 and can well afford it but I begrudge paying that when just the ring is broken, the rusty looking shaft was caused by water ingress emulsifying with whatever grease was in there, look at pics now it has been cleaned, its like new.
The shaft cost is £33 + £27.68 postage if I add a bearing set on for the shaft at £12.29 the postage goes up to £35.29 total so an increase of £7.61 postage just for a couple of bearings
That's a shame, not like the good old days. I blame Brexit :p

It's getting to be the same with cars. Used to pay a tenner for a wheel bearing. Now they all seem to be incorporated into the hub assembly and you have to buy the whole lot. Kerching kerching :(

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
That's a shame, not like the good old days. I blame Brexit :p

It's getting to be the same with cars. Used to pay a tenner for a wheel bearing. Now they all seem to be incorporated into the hub assembly and you have to buy the whole lot. Kerching kerching :(
I know I used to work as an engineer in the car manufacturing world, the best I had was £39 for a 8 x 60 bolt for my Mercedes, I replied is it gold plated and he replied thats for fitting as well!!!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Thanks for your help
Its a BBS01 the part is a magnetic pedal assist sensor ring fitted to the main drive shaft
How does it work? I can understand several magnets going past a sensor but your ring has me stumped.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
OK. Explains a lot about the brutal start un programmed BBSs seem to have. Trex told me the GSM has the same PAS system and that it is very hard to source parts.

Cant you just weld the ring? Or epoxy the magnetic bits into the slots on your shaft?

it is a normal PAS magnet disk and since so many brocken motor at the dealers I guess you can buy this disk at any serious BBS seller in the uk

The two magnetic lugs that you mentioned are actually just to melt the magnetring solid to the e plastic disk

btw, this are not two magnets the ring is the magnet with 24 pole if I remember correctly about the 24 or 32 or what ever you can see them under a special lens

Attachments

Last edited:

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
OK. Explains a lot about the brutal start un programmed BBSs seem to have. Trex told me the GSM has the same PAS system and that it is very hard to source parts.

Cant you just weld the ring? Or epoxy the magnetic bits into the slots on your shaft?
Heating or welding magnets can destroy there properties, epoxy is going to temporarily be the way I think