Best seller for the Bafang BBS01B?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
A guy on ES has grafted an HD motor and controller onto an 02 gear casing with minimal work, but he's distroying nylon gears last time I looked, so anything is poss. I think Bafang would do whatever you asked if you ordered 2000 units.:D

• Informative
Reactions: tommie

sparkysx

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2019
A guy on ES has grafted an HD motor and controller onto an 02 gear casing with minimal work, but he's distroying nylon gears last time I looked, so anything is poss. I think Bafang would do whatever you asked if you ordered 2000 units.:D
So it doesn't really fit then?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
So it doesn't really fit then?
Yes, it fits fine, but the 02's componts were engineered(if that's the right word to describe it) to work at the power level it was intended to run at. When you start modifying stuff to run higher power, then there is ALWAYS a weak link, a component that isn't up to the job your asking of it. The HD motor is an over-engineered beast that will happily run at 2 1/2 times the power it was intended to without much complaint, BUT any higher and the nylon gear shreads it's teeth. The comments I have made about the way the ETM has been modified are pure speculation, based on my knowledge of the BBS range and in no way am I knocking it, or trying to put you off it, it sounds great. If you have any doubts about it, contact the guys at Brighton Ebikes, Darren I think is the owner, and ask them how they have built it. From what I've read, they are one of the few proper ebike shops that actually have a good knowledge of the stuff they sell and are also willing to fit kits and carry out repairs.

sparkysx

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2019
I wasn't talking about the ETM, I've got no worries about that, spoken to Darren a few times, he's a good guy. I meant the BBS02 with the HD inners, as you said he was chewing through gears, I thought you meant that was because of putting it in the wrong housing.

Will be ordering the ETM from Darren in the next day or so as he had some stuff to get done today. Looking forward to installing it on my bike.

I'm glad I went with a diy install rather that the scott bike I test rode, that thing felt like it was doing nothing, even on full assist, and the riding position wasn't optimal for me at all, as it's a proper hybrid rather than a mountain bike.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What mm spiral wrapping do people use for bikes?
Depends on the diameter of wires to cover.
That said on my hub kits with approx. 4 wires ( lcd, brake, throttle, lights
) encased I still only used 6mm spiral and it does a good job.

Reactions: sparkysx

sparkysx

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2019
right, I've now heard that the bbs01b can be programmed to 18 amps, could it be some can and some can't?

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
i have 2 different makes of narrow wide chainring ,neither are actual lekies.dont think because the lekie is the most advertised its the best.the others are EXACTLY the same quality and cheaper.i personally think any price over £20-£30 is a cheek considering the huge amount they make. but its a case of pay it or do without. the ones that come with the kits are seriously **** lumps of steel and too big.

if you want a bbs01 to have that legal 250w printed on it but want 18-20amps ur out of luck.the early ones i believe could be re programmed ,but not any more.they are hard set to 15 max.the 350w can be programmed from 20 max to anything less.

i seriously suggest you use others advice gained from experience to make the right choice. i can see from your undecidedness u really want more power available than the governments legal allowance.most probably choose legal without much thought and settle for that.most people giving you advice in forums have multiple bikes inc higher power ones.
i see it as the nanny state treating us like children.not trusting us to be responsible. yet they trust us to drive at 30 ish in 30mph limits,even though our cars can do 100mph and we generally do.
so i personally ignore the law and ride my bikes sensibly for the relevent situation.always being considerate,to pedestrians ,dog walkers ,horse riders etc.

if you are buying one bike only and are struggling with wanting to be legal vs what you really want.then just go for a more powerful machine or you will regret it. you can ride it as you please then,full power,half power whatever.but MY OPINION from experience is 250w is marginal. Even the 350w still requires effort on hills. A 750-1000w is the best bet.

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
If you are buying one bike only and are struggling with wanting to be legal vs what you really want.then just go for a more powerful machine or you will regret it. you can ride it as you please then,full power,half power whatever.but MY OPINION from experience is 250w is marginal. Even the 350w still requires effort on hills. A 750-1000w is the best bet.
+1

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you are buying one bike only
then make it a legal one.
It's not only more economical and lightweight, but also you'll work out in good time how far / how fast you want to go for the next bike.
Take the BBS01B for example. If derestricted, it can hit 23mph on a flat road. It can't climb stairs on throttle alone but would you do that with your bike?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Take the BBS01B for example. If derestricted, it can hit 23mph on a flat road. It can't climb stairs on throttle alone but would you do that with your bike?
My wife beat me for leaving tyre marks on the carpet :(

sparkysx

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2019
Great responses from everyone and although the allure of a powerful motor is high, I have to agree with Woosh and go with the legal option. I tend to get anxiety issues and spending a chunk on a motor that I'm worried about taking out on the road will probably send that feeling up quite high, I understand that I likely won't have any problems, but what if..................

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Just order the ETM motor PLEEEEEASE!!!
if you have anxiety about legality and want high torque for hill climbing than this looks your best bet to be sure.

If its brighton bikes own creation id be concerned the bbs01b wiring can take 25 amps without serious care.the bbs02 has the 25amp controller,but thicker wiring. Although my 350w bbs01b says 20amp max,it comes set at 18 which is where i leave it.i saw somewhere 20 is more risky.I think the 02 controller has more mosfets tho.Any thoughts anyone?

Just looked at brighton bikes website.Says upgraded wiring so i guess its ok .Tho how do they find room in there for thicker wiring,the bbs02 has a slightly bigger case for that reason.

Last edited: