bike laws

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I would take the refund. I have debated the misleading if not downright lies of erider on Facebook on numerous occasions but they still continue to advertise in the same way. It is totally wrong of them and the fact they offer refunds to those who get caught seems to indicate they are perfectly aware of that fact.

D

Deleted member 25121

Very poor reviews on Amazon:

And also Trustpilot:

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Capt Sisko

Pedelecer
May 5, 2018
Shropshire
Mmmm, this is interesting. Several months ago a friend of mine very nearly bought one of these so called 'legal' ebikes. Fortunately as I was known as the resident cycling expert he asked my opinion and I talked him out of it pointing out that he was risking fines and his driving licence if he got pulled by the Police. It narked me a bit that a dealer was misleading customers so complained to the Advertising Standards Agency. Their reply was a little dissapointing.

Your complaint: E-Rider Ltd - ASA Ref: A19-562001

Dear Mr xxx,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write to us about E-Rider advertising.
We’ve considered your complaint carefully and all the issues raised. We will keep a record of it on our system and take your views into account if we receive more complaints about this or similar issues.

We will also take your complaint into account in our regular proactive ‘intelligence gathering’ sweeps, where we analyse a range of information – including complaints made to us – to spot significant or emerging issues, which we might want to tackle.

While we won’t be taking any other specific action on your complaint at this time, I want to thank you for contacting us. Complaints like yours are extremely important to us as they help us to build a picture on the issues that we should tackle.
Yours sincerely,
Ruth

Ruth Piper
Complaints Executive

Direct line 020 7492 2120

Advertising Standards Authority
Mid City Place, 71 High Holborn
London WC1V 6QT
Telephone 020 7492 2222
www.asa.org.uk

In other words they either didn't care that a dealer was blatently misleading potential customers (which I thought they were here to protect from) or just couldn't be bothered to take action. Oh well, another useless & toothless Government Quango.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In other words they either didn't care that a dealer was blatently misleading potential customers (which I thought they were here to protect from) or just couldn't be bothered to take action. Oh well, another useless & toothless Government Quango.
I think the ASA is more concerned with advertising and may not view a company website as that. An added factor is that is isn't in any way illegal to sell non compliant vehicles, only the usage is illegal.

You might have had a better result with your trading standards department since this is very much an issue of poor trading standards. Your local authority will have their contact details.

• Agree
Reactions: ebiker99

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I think the ASA is more concerned with advertising and may not view a company website as that. An added factor is that is isn't in any way illegal to sell non compliant vehicles, only the usage is illegal.

You might have had a better result with your trading standards department since this is very much an issue of poor trading standards. Your local authority will have their contact details.
It should be illegal to advertise an illegal bike as legal; I don't know whether it is. I'm not sure of the role of ASA and whether it covers websites ... it should as that is clearly a very common form of advertising. Maybe the local trading standards officer is someone to contact as flecc suggests; though issues like this are not 'local'.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Maybe the local trading standards officer is someone to contact as flecc suggests; though issues like this are not 'local'.
It doesn't matter, although trading standards are based locally, they can and do sometimes act on national issues, since their effect is also local. For example they were the first to act on the issue of dangerous toys coming in from China, prompting government action.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
There do seem to be a few of these around - there is a common one on Groupon for a 'commuter scooter' - no pedals or any pretense of being an ebike - clearly not allowed on UK roads - but the description gives the impression that you can use it to get to work -

Think I might look at how to complain to trading standards or whoever although I can see the law changing in the near future due to number of electric 'things' appearing on the market

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I remember another case about someone using an illegal vehicle. I can't remember the details, but IIRC, the Road Traffic Act only applies to vehicles that are designed to be used on the road. That self-balancing thing is clearly not designed to be used on the road, so, while it might be illegal, the guy shouldn't have got points on his licence. When my neighbour was caught on an illegal electric scooter on the pavement, he was given a section 59 public nuicance notice, which stated that it would be confiscated if he was caufght on it again.

Can someone confirm the rule about vehicles not designed for road use?

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
Problem with some of these things is that there are no brakes (or are there????) - I know I can stop my bike quickly if something happens - but things like hoverboards or that unicycle don't look capable of stopping from 15 mph at all quickly

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Can someone confirm the rule about vehicles not designed for road use?
Two laws apply here. The first is the Type Approval law for motor vehicles that has exemptions from being considered a motor vehicle:

Exemption (g) is for Off Road, but limits it to vehicles designed for travel on unpaved surfaces, so that doesn't apply.

Exemption (i) is for self balancing vehicles, so that does apply, it's not a motor vehicle.

But here's the UK snag, it doesn't mean one can be used. The Highway Act 1837 bans any form of motorised vehicle, and that's been ruled to be any public place, not just roads. Since then any form of motorised vehicle has to have a specific permission in law to be used in any public place.

That's why Segways, motorised pavement scooters, mini motos and the like are banned, they have no specific permission for use.

• Informative
Reactions: ebiker99

lyndavies1966

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 13, 2019
Its a bit of a tangled web where technically you've bought a moped due to the throttle

Electric mopeds

When intended for road use, an electric bicycle or speed pedelec over 250W and not over 4kW is classified as a moped (L1e-A or L1e-B). Speed pedelecs fall into the L1e-B category. That means any such vehicles must meet all the requirements that a moped and moped rider need to comply with:
  • Be 16 years of age or over
  • Have a moped entitlement on car license or a valid CBT
  • Wear a helmet
  • Fix ''L' plates if appropriate
  • The rider needs insurance, road tax and an MOT

Hopefully flecc can give his input - Have 'e Rider' had the type of bike you bought MSVA certificated for exemption? Otherwise you might be able to do it yourself.

i asked the company owner e rider.com if it had msva certified but he could not answer me the motor is 250 watt and the cutoff speed is 15.5

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
also on their website it comes under electric bike and not moped this is why it was bought
Yes, I noticed that, but it's definitely incorrect. The model 15 with pedals has a chance of being classified as a bike, but the 18 with no pedals has no chance. It is a moped in law.

lyndavies1966

Jun 13, 2019
Yes, I noticed that, but it's definitely incorrect. The model 15 with pedals has a chance of being classified as a bike, but the 18 with no pedals has no chance. It is a moped in law.
mine is the model 18 and does have pedels im still fighting the police lol i have asked for a refund which takes about 10 days but im holding on to a glimmer of hope that my beloved bike will be saved lol

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
mine is the model 18 and does have pedels im still fighting the police lol i have asked for a refund which takes about 10 days but im holding on to a glimmer of hope that my beloved bike will be saved lol
Thanks for that information, they need to correct the photos on their website.

However, the police are correct, with a fully acting throttle it is not a pedelec. The DfT have a concession for Great Britain only that it will be considered one if it has MSVA . With that you will not need insurance, though the police might think you do. Referring them to the DfT will straighten that out. But you can't refer them if you haven't got MSVA, since the DfT will just tell them to prosecute if you use it.

Given the difficulty of getting MSVA, I'd recommend you take the refund.

lyndavies1966

Jun 13, 2019
Thanks for that information, they need to correct the photos on their website.

However, the police are correct, with a fully acting throttle it is not a pedelec. The DfT have a concession for Great Britain only that it will be considered one if it has MSVA . With that you will not need insurance, though the police might think you do. Referring them to the DfT will straighten that out. But you can't refer them if you haven't got MSVA, since the DfT will just tell them to prosecute if you use it.

Given the difficulty of getting MSVA, I'd recommend you take the refund.
it looks as if i have lost my beloved bike and when i get my refund im going to get a pedal assist bike that looks like a bike not a moped and they cant (police) stop me lol

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
hello anyone know whether i can still ride my electric e rider because it has a twist and go throttle and the police have stopped me riding it because according to them its against the law to ride without insurance etc
Hi are you still on this group. My freinds has same issue.
Erider guy Ken claims never had issue with police
They are still selling this bike today its a Am moped so needs license ect I have see the certificate they are mis selling and it must end

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
So this is what happens when you get caught riding an illegal bike. They don't lock you up and throw the key away. They tell you to ride the bike home and not use it again. They tell you that if you're caught again, they will take the bike and crush it - still no mention of jail.

I've heard this story several times.
One in pound first offence pound won't release it with insurance can't get insurance cause not registered. Vin insurance won't allow release

• Agree
Reactions: flecc