bike laws

lyndavies1966

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 13, 2019
hello anyone know whether i can still ride my electric e rider because it has a twist and go throttle and the police have stopped me riding it because according to them its against the law to ride without insurance etc

lyndavies1966

Jun 13, 2019
hello there thanks for getting back to me unfortunately im still none the wiser,iv purchased a model 18 e rider from the above company and according to the police my model 18 e rider cannot be driven without insurance etc due to it being a throttle twist and ago which the police say can go without pedal assist,realy confusing and annoying as the bike is for my disabled partner and he have not been able to go out until this matter is sorted,the bike has no plate either

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
When was it purchased?

‘Twist and gos’ – electric bikes manufactured with the capability of being powered by a throttle alone – have required type approval since January 2016. ‘Grandfather rights’ apply to ‘twist and go’ e-bikes prior to January 2016. (This is entirely separate to ‘walk assist mode’ throttles that power the bike to a 6kmh top limit i.e. walking speed, to help you push the bike along, which are not affected by this law update.)

E-bikes controlled by a throttle where there is no need for the pedals to be turning to engage the motor – so-called ‘twist and go’ machines. New models of these kind are now classified under EU law under the L1e-A ‘powered cycles’ category that allows power up to 1000w, with power assistance cutting out at 15.5mph. Twist and gos are potentially very helpful for those with any kind of condition that severely limits a pedalling action, but the procedure and exact requirements for registering them remain unclear. Note twist and go e-bikes bought before the introduction of the new laws and limited to a 250W motor rating remain effectively legal and so can be legally purchased and used as second hand models.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

lyndavies1966

Jun 13, 2019
thankyou for getting back to me unfortunately the company i bought the bike from which is e rider uk wont tell me if the bike was manufactured before 2016 and we bought the bike 2 months ago on their website it says its legal to ride without ant insurance ect i feel as if im stuck in the middle the police wont budge and said if the bike is used they will confiscate it and destroy and im 1700 out of pocket just dont know what to do

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Its a bit of a tangled web where technically you've bought a moped due to the throttle

Electric mopeds

When intended for road use, an electric bicycle or speed pedelec over 250W and not over 4kW is classified as a moped (L1e-A or L1e-B). Speed pedelecs fall into the L1e-B category. That means any such vehicles must meet all the requirements that a moped and moped rider need to comply with:
  • Be 16 years of age or over
  • Have a moped entitlement on car license or a valid CBT
  • Wear a helmet
  • Fix ''L' plates if appropriate
  • The rider needs insurance, road tax and an MOT

Hopefully flecc can give his input - Have 'e Rider' had the type of bike you bought MSVA certificated for exemption? Otherwise you might be able to do it yourself.

lyndavies1966

Jun 13, 2019
e rider uk has said they cant give out that information to me but they have offered to refund maybe that could be the best option, i asked the manager of e rider if it had a regestration and he said he cant give me the info

lyndavies1966

Jun 13, 2019
also the police think e rider uk has used misleading information on their website which says you are buying an electric bicycle and not a moped very disappointed

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Other that a 'twist & go' throttle, the bike looks UK legal. Why not just disconnect the throttle if you're that worried?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
So this is what happens when you get caught riding an illegal bike. They don't lock you up and throw the key away. They tell you to ride the bike home and not use it again. They tell you that if you're caught again, they will take the bike and crush it - still no mention of jail.

I've heard this story several times.

Reactions: daveboy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Like Gringo, I suggest you return the bike asap and get your money back while you can.
Seconded, definitely get your money back. Trying to register this will probably be very difficult and it will be classed as a motor vehicle with all that implies, since it has no pedals.

The information on their website is definitely misleading and inaccurate.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
So this is what happens when you get caught riding an illegal bike. They don't lock you up and throw the key away. They tell you to ride the bike home and not use it again. They tell you that if you're caught again, they will take the bike and crush it - still no mention of jail.

I've heard this story several times.
It may well depend on how obviously you knew you were riding an illegal bike. Ignorance of the law may be no excuse, but is still a mitigating circumstance. Jail would be very unlikely unless really badly ridden ... it is not even common for reckless driving of an uninsured car.

OP: I certainly agree with the others on getting your money back a.s.a.p..

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Get an e-bike that has pedals, you can buy a Wisper bike and they will get type approval for it so you can use the twist and go/throttle.

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
So this is what happens when you get caught riding an illegal bike. They don't lock you up and throw the key away. They tell you to ride the bike home and not use it again. They tell you that if you're caught again, they will take the bike and crush it - still no mention of jail. I've heard this story several times.
Not necessarily....