Bosch Battery Service Centre Recommendations - mail order?

D

Deleted member 25121

I'm not familiar with either airport so you missed me with that one.

By "cheap Chinese crap" I'm referring to the monstrosities you see advertised in the papers or on eBay for < £400 or so. The things being imported by Del Boy individuals who provide no backup or expertise.

Also the components designed by and made by unknown Chinese companies, motors from "Smiley Motors Inc", brakes whose cables snap when you pull too hard, that sort of thing....

Absolute garbage.

• Disagree
Reactions: Amoto65

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Chinese companies are flexible.
They sell you what you want.
They make carbon fibre bikes for everyone for example, from $500 to $5,000 a bike.
One thing though, they don't rip you off for spares.

Reactions: mike killay

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I agree that there are Chinese rubbish products; but your posts suggest all Chinese designed motors are rubbish ... which is rubbish.

The new Beijing airport was build on time and on budget, and from all I have heard (never seen it) of excellent quality. The new Berlin airport has a record that makes Crossrail look good.

I must admit that there are many rather ruthless polices in China that enabled that efficiency; I'd probably rather rub along with good old German inefficiency.

construction began in 2006. Originally planned to open in October 2011, the airport has encountered a series of delays and cost overruns. These were due to poor construction planning, execution, management, as well as corruption.[11][12][13] Late 2020 became the new target for the official opening date[14][15][16] as 2019 became too improbable.[17][18] A TÜV report published in November 2017 suggested that the opening could be delayed until 2021.[19][20][21][22]

or https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-48527308 The airport with half a million faults

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 25121

I agree that there are Chinese rubbish products; but your posts suggest all Chinese designed motors are rubbish ... which is rubbish.
No, as I said: "Also the components designed by and made by unknown Chinese companies, motors from "Smiley Motors Inc"".

Heathrow's Terminal 5 was built on time and on budget. Best not to talk about Crossrail and HS2 eh...

• Disagree
D

Deleted member 25121

Chinese companies are flexible.
They sell you what you want.
They make carbon fibre bikes for everyone for example, from $500 to $5,000 a bike.
One thing though, they don't rip you off for spares.
Absolutely, you can get good Chinese stuff if you know what you're doing.

But you have to admit, there is some Chinese rubbish around.

• Disagree
D

Deleted member 25121

like what?
A 30s search on eBay revealed this little beauty:

I can't believe you haven't come across any rubbish Chinese ebikes and ebike parts.

• Disagree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
A 30s search on eBay revealed this little beauty:
I can't believe you haven't come across any rubbish Chinese ebikes and ebike parts.
it says on the webpage: UK made!

D

Deleted member 25121

like what?
Here's another beut on eBay:

It's much better than the Whirlwind, it's a Dohiker with "fenders", "stab proof tires" and a long lasting battery.

All for a bargain £389, do you do anything to match that?

• Disagree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I know, it keeps the duties down. Aren't your bikes "made in the UK"?
I have never badged my bikes as 'made in the UK' nor stick any flag on them.
Even the logo is modest.
Assembled yes but not made. I made the spec sheet and when the shipment arrives, screw the parts together.

D

Deleted member 25121

I have never badged my bikes as 'made in the UK' nor stick any flag on them.
Even the logo is modest.
Assembled yes but not made. I made the spec sheet and when the shipment arrives, screw the parts together.
So you really think the magnificent Whirlwind is made in the UK?

Can you match the superb Dohiker on price and performance?

These quality bikes with mostly, if not all, quality Chinese parts are really something else aren't they.

• Disagree
D

Deleted member 25121

I see the Rambletta is £849, that's over twice as expensive at the incredible Dohiker at £389 and both are supposidly using quality Chinese parts.

• Disagree
D

Deleted member 25121

More research shows that he truly remarkable, high Chinese quality, Dohiker bike has in total 66 gears, 52 at the front and 14 at the rear and is fully EAPC compliant in the UK.
The Woosh Rambletta, costing over twice as much, has just 7 gears and is "UK and European compliant" but no mention of EAPC so it's not clear as to which standard it complies with.
Isn't that right Woosh? You ask me to provide this info so here it is, would you like me to continue with the comparison or are you going to respond to my answer?

• Disagree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Isn't that right Woosh? You ask me to provide this info so here it is, would you like me to continue with the comparison or are you going to respond to my answer?
The Dohiker is 'made' in Poland.

• Disagree
Reactions: ebiker99
D

Deleted member 25121

The Dohiker is 'made' in Poland.
You agree it's a fantastic piece of machinery then.

The seller of the ultra fantastic Dohiker lives in Poland, that doesn't mean the bike is made in Poland does it. Here's one being sold from Germany:

Is that one made in Germany?

• Disagree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the seller lives in China, Shenzhen in fact, but the bike is 'made' in Poland.
Just read the advert.

D

Deleted member 25121

Exactly, the bikes use Chinese parts but assembled in Europe to avoid the tariffs.

I'm surprised you didn't know about that, aren't you doing the same thing?

Irrespective of where it's assembled, do you think it's using high quality Chinese parts and if so why is your Rambetta over twice as expensive?

• Disagree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
why is your Rambetta over twice as expensive?
As you know, battery is the most expensive component.
my rambletta has a battery whose capacity is twice as large, using more expensive Samsung cells and I fitted a monoshock suspension fork instead of a U-tube.
The basic material is the same, you can select what you like.
So instead of saying this bike made in Poland/UK is rubbish, you said Chinese bikes are rubbish.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I think we all agree:
  • Some poor parts (motors/batteries) are designed and made in China
    • and very likely used on the Dohiker
  • Some good parts (motors/batteries) are designed and made in China
    • and used by Woosh and many others
  • Some good parts (motors/batteries) are designed in Europe and made in China
    • including Bosch
  • Relatively few bikes for European market are assembled in China (due to tariffs).

• Agree
Reactions: ebiker99