Bosch Nyon Performance System / Sat Nav for 2015

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Not me - Always been a gadget freak - Although the gps/phone goes in a pocket now rather than on the bars...
No room, now that the "fuel guage" is in the phone waterproof holder pending the arrival of the new watt-meter from HK :rolleyes:

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Quick Question from the blurb where it states: "You can also set the eBike motor’s assistance models to suit you"

In the marketing vid is shows the bike accelerating from 21.0kmh and then at 24.9kmh (15.4mph) an important incoming message (conveniently?) interrupts the display.

Are these controller assistance models predefined within legal parameters or can you, under the bonnet, go for broke? ;-)

triumph_st

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
Leuven, Belgium
Rumours at German bike shops go that Nyon delivery is, due to software problems, postponed until at least september.

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
so if you can read texts while on the road, does that part of it make it technically illegal for road use ? Me being law abiding.......

Reactions: jackhandy

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Thanks Martin, is there any chance of a quick review from you please Sir? I have one coming with my KTM in the next week and the first thing you need to do is to download the correct "app" for your smart phone, BUT, I cannot find the app for the iPhone at all? Thanks Martin......

triumph_st

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
Leuven, Belgium
Thanks Martin, is there any chance of a quick review from you please Sir? I have one coming with my KTM in the next week and the first thing you need to do is to download the correct "app" for your smart phone, BUT, I cannot find the app for the iPhone at all? Thanks Martin......
No app yet for Iphone, only for Android. Smart chaps them Germans.
They even 'forgot' Belgium in the maps!

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Thanks Martin, is there any chance of a quick review from you please Sir? I have one coming with my KTM in the next week
Even I think that one is cheeky. :D
Second that!

BUT, I cannot find the app for the iPhone at all? Thanks Martin......
App for iOS will be out just after xmas. It was supposed to be out now, but Apple changed to iOS 8 so it has to be revised. The Germans want to do it right first time round!

Martin

Reactions: EddiePJ

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
so if you can read texts while on the road, does that part of it make it technically illegal for road use ? Me being law abiding.......
Just watched this video & it looks like it initially displays:-

"Text from {Persons name}"
"Please stop riding in order to read the full message"

then gives the option to discard.

Knowing that the Germans tend to be quite safety concious wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't actually display the message unless the wheels had stopped turning.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just watched this video & it looks like it initially displays:-

"Text from {Persons name}"
"Please stop riding in order to read the full message"

then gives the option to discard.

Knowing that the Germans tend to be quite safety concious wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't actually display the message unless the wheels had stopped turning.
Yep got it in one :)

Mat McAdams

Just Joined
Jun 30, 2014
Second that!

App for iOS will be out just after xmas. It was supposed to be out now, but Apple changed to iOS 8 so it has to be revised. The Germans want to do it right first time round!

Martin
Hi Martin.

Does that mean that Nyon can't be used at all (until the app is released) if you have an iphone?

Thanks

Mat

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Good thread here on Cyclurba, a French language pedelecs forum about Nyon. Google translate is useful for reading it. It looks like many users aren't entirely happy with it yet. Particular bugbears include:
  • You only get maps of 20km around a particular address for free - you have to pay for anything more
  • Limited memory capacity (500Mb)
  • Limited performance without connection to a smartphone
  • No iOS app until mid Dec (latest estimate)
  • "Unusable" GPS and mapping capabilities
One of the comments is that the Bosch / Nyon ecosystem is far from mature, with constraints and difficulties on a new product being discovered through customer feedback.

Michael