Bosch Nyon Performance System / Sat Nav for 2015

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
You only get maps of 20km around a particular address for free - you have to pay for anything more
I read this in the spec a while ago and I thought it must have been a joke, as, who would do that? It certainly does need clarification as its madness with that as an outcome? I am also slightly doubtful that the words used above are correct, as, I thought it would not "direct you" outside of a certain limit for free?
Col, are you able to get clarity from Bosch please as there is no direct facility for punters to contact them?

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
I read this in the spec a while ago and I thought it must have been a joke, as, who would do that? It certainly does need clarification as its madness with that as an outcome? I am also slightly doubtful that the words used above are correct, as, I thought it would not "direct you" outside of a certain limit for free?
Col, are you able to get clarity from Bosch please as there is no direct facility for punters to contact them?
From a Bosch Press release, June 2014, definitely routing within 20km, maps, well it's not clear:-

Nyon as a guide – navigation, route planning, and evaluationThe user can also adjust the navigation display according to his preferences. Views are possible in 2D or 3D. Routes recorded by Nyon are automatically synchronized on demand with smartphone and online portal and can be retrieved there later. Those who prefer the classic navigation style can allow themselves to be actively guided from point A to point B (“routing”) by Nyon – thanks to the OSM map basis, the best bike route is always available. The bike-optimized route calculation helps to avoid busy roads and detours. Within a predefined home radius of 20 km, the routing function is free of charge; for nationwide or worldwide eBike trips, a license can be obtained with a fee-based app upgrade. Additional up-grades are planned, giving Nyon users more and more additional functions on the screen.

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
thanks Phill, interesting, time will tell I guess. I think I would not have a problem paying a small fee for a years advanced features etc, but, per occasion charges (if that is what it turns out to be) do concern me greatly.....all I would want it to be able to do is to load simple "pre built" routes onto it and it direct me......

triumph_st

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
Leuven, Belgium
When I read on the German forum about Nyon; man Bosch really f**ked up with Nyon.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I am all for developers giving free apps out and then charging extra for premium functions if you want them.. After all we all have to make a buck to live, but if I had spent a couple of grand on the hardware, I wouldn't expect to have to pay extra for some software.. Another thing touched on earlier.. big maps with detail need a lot of storage space.. .....

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I can see that for some, the Nyon is going to end up being the sole focus of owning and using a bike. The enjoyment of actually riding, is going to be taken over by constant pratting around with the display. It'll end up being like car sat nav units, with people turning it on, just to go to the neighbouring corner shop. So much for the freedom that cycling has to offer.
Okay my next bike has it, but it wasn't even on the scale of priorities for me, and I very much doubt that I'll do anything more than use it in the same way as I did the old system. Turn it on and forget it, and then just do what I set out to do with each ride, enjoy the simplicity of being out cycling.

Last edited:

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Sat Nav does have some uses on a bike though.

Okay not for going to the shops in the next village, but those off road trails that I've mentioned in another thread have been FAR more enjoyable since I managed to work out how to upload the routes into my phone's Sat Nav.

I can set off around a 25-30 mile off road trail I don't know without getting worried about getting lost nor having to constantly get the map out.

Faff for me is setting the phone up properly on the bike. Also looks a bit Tackleberry so for those reasons, personally I'd welcome a Nyon unit.

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Thats exactly what I want the Nyon for Wander, it will be good for that purpose providing it does not cost the earth to do outside 20km from your home. Also, I intend to do the Lands End to JOG at some stage and uploading the routes will be perfect

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
I think I would not have a problem paying a small fee for a years advanced features etc, but, per occasion charges (if that is what it turns out to be) do concern me greatly.......
Just downloaded the App. Can't do much with it without pairing it with a Nyon unit however the T's & C's do say:-

2014-10-23 20.27.17.png

From that it should mean fees are one off & not 'per occasion'.

Full T's & C's go on for pages & are in German!

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sat Nav does have some uses on a bike though.

Okay not for going to the shops in the next village, but those off road trails that I've mentioned in another thread have been FAR more enjoyable since I managed to work out how to upload the routes into my phone's Sat Nav.

I can set off around a 25-30 mile off road trail I don't know without getting worried about getting lost nor having to constantly get the map out.

Faff for me is setting the phone up properly on the bike. Also looks a bit Tackleberry so for those reasons, personally I'd welcome a Nyon unit.
I fully agree here, it makes you feel much more confident setting of into the wilds if you have some sort of guidance system! I recently spotted a thing called heat maps which shows where everyone else has been on the trails.

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Interesting, thanks Wander, so, it does appear to be a one off "upgrade cost" shall we call it. I will know more when the iPhone app is out but as has been said on here already, that is not for some while. In Android, what was the app called exactly please Wander? lol re the t's and c's being in German,...............

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
On the German forums they are reporting the cost as 15 euros for routing for Germany, 25 for Europe and 30 for the world. That is pretty cheap, and if it really is a one-time cost it does make you wonder why you have to pay this nominal figure when you've just spent somewhere over 2 grand on the bike! I'm sure there is logic there somewhere.

Yes, on the German forums the majority seem to be less than impressed with Nyon.

Michael

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
What issues do they have with it please Michael?
Apologies nashdm2, I'm a bit busy just at the mo so can't go through and pick out the salient points. However you can read through to your heart's content by following the link here - Google Translate works, although it's not as good at translating German as it is French!

Michael

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Assuming that the UK mapping system is going be OS, why would you not expect to have to pay for the licence to use the product.

I fully agree here, it makes you feel much more confident setting of into the wilds if you have some sort of guidance system!
Doesn't the system rely on the phone? If it does, then why not just use an app like ViewRanger, or even Google mapping for free. And if the system does rely on the phone, what are you going to do if the phone gives up. :)

The logic that I can't understand is making the point about spending 2k on bike, when a £300.00 Satmap would have been a better all round option when it comes to mapping.

The Nyon has many useful settings, but I'd certainly not add the GPS into that equation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gubbins