Bosch Nyon Performance System / Sat Nav for 2015

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Assuming that the UK mapping system is going be OS, why would you not expect to have to pay for the licence to use the product..
I can't see the OS settling for a piddling fee like this.
If it is OS mapping, it's a real bargain.
I'm on my second £15 'worth of 1/25,000 map data just for mid-Cornwall.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
There are also the cycling apps which are getting better all the time, some now include route planning and live mapping whilst riding, which is where I found the heat maps.. If the nyon is like the intuvia it will have a usb power out to charge your phone as you go. I bought a short lead to connect the intuvia to my Samsung phone so I can keep the display on for hours... I bought a very neat little bag that straps to the cross bar with a clear slot for the phone.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
There's no way anyone can be charged for using OSM - the developers will not allow it. Goes against it's whole raison d'etre.

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
I am not sure the charge is to use the OSM, more over the charge is likely to be to get the NYON system to "direct/navigate" you outside of a 20km circle of you home address. I have the NYON system, if the iPhone App was available I could tell you for sure, but, earlier on in the thread people have suggested the same as my summary above, so, time will tell. The cost is for advanced features, which we are suggesting is the navigation element.

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
I have played around with the unit today as I found when reading the manual that you can configure the unit via a wifi connection and also creating an account online via a computer. I have managed to download the whole of UK map, with about a third of the memory still available. I also did not know that the Nyon unit has its own inbuilt battery also, which is convenient when required.
I am still in doubt what it is you are meant to pay for with the premium features as I think they can only be purchased via the phone app which is not available yet for the IOS devices. The manual says under the "shop" options - "you can use this menu to download additional map material or purchase premium features"
There are a number of settings where you can alter standard stuff on the Nyon unit and so far I have not found something that I want to change that is not available.
The unit has a switch on it to turn of the bike lights for those that have them, this is a really nice touch.
So far so good,
Once you have created an account and set it all up on both your PC and smartphone, there is the ability to do software updates to the device which is good as I am sure that Bosch will use that to give additional features and bug fixes etc, much like IOS works I guess.
The manual is 55 pages long, and goes into detail on many of the features like fitness, custom screens, joystick and home buttons,
There is a micro USB socket on the side of it to charge a mobile device, I have not tried this yet as I do not have the correct lead to convert to the iPhone lead, but, I do hope that it is able to charge the iPhone 6 as in the back of my mind I am sure I have read somewhere that pervious ebike head units have not had the power output to charge one (limited to 500ma I believe), so, look forward to seeing if this has changed with the new Nyon unit
More to follow as I get used to it.
Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: Wander

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Thanks for the write up Dave.

There is a micro USB socket on the side of it to charge a mobile device, I have not tried this yet as I do not have the correct lead to convert to the iPhone lead, but, I do hope that it is able to charge the iPhone 6 as in the back of my mind I am sure I have read somewhere that pervious ebike head units have not had the power output to change one (limited to 500ma I believe), so, look forward to seeing if this has changed with the new Nyon unit.
I've had no problem charging my Nexus phone with the Intuvia head using one of Martin's Bosch USB Head Unit Converter leads.

Note also that the old units had a switch to turn lights on & off however if your bike doesn't actually come with lights then it requires a visit to a Bosch dealer with the necessary diagnostics software to activate this function. Something to do with it being illegal in Germany to power lights from the main battery.

Last edited:

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Thanks Wander, this lead is exactly what I have purchased, so, I will know when it arrives......Been out on a proper test ride today and I think the one thing that will annoy me if it cannot be changed is the direction the sat nav shows as "up", it seems to be locked on North and I like it to show up as the direction of travel, I wonder if this is something that can be changed within advanced features? Time will tell, I will have another read of the manual tonight.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I also have read somewhere that it won't work with an iPhone.... It's an apple thing as you need a very specific cable. Having said that if anyone has connected their iPhone to one I am sure they will ad a comment.

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Thanks, I do have the correct Apple lightning lead, its just that it will need to go into the converter lead from the USB end of the apple lead down to the Micro USB of the Nyon unit, so, I predict that will not be an issue as the lightning lead is the correct one, but, the new iPhones 5S and above are very fussy with cables.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
  • You only get maps of 20km around a particular address for free - you have to pay for anything more
  • Limited memory capacity (500Mb)
  • Limited performance without connection to a smartphone
  • No iOS app until mid Dec (latest estimate)
  • "Unusable" GPS and mapping capabilities
Michael
Just to eliterate as I have had Nyon for some time and have Nyon bikes in stock right now...

• You only get maps of 20km around a particular address for free - you have to pay for anything more
I can connect to Wifi and download regional maps as well as the whole of the UK. No where does it cost extra.
Enough memory to store everything, not yet had any memory issues. Its not like it storing photos of videos..
Not every user will have a smart phone, I have been using all functions and yet to connect smartphone, all it does not have is the text message come up on screen etc.
Yes delayed due to iOS8. Germans redesigned the front end of the app. Expected out at xmas. Seeing as most of you don't have Nyon yet, I don't think it will be a problem? ;)
Not sure what this even means, the Nyon has inbuilt GPS. Doesnt need anything but itself to connect to GPS and follow a route.

Regards
Martin

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Thanks, I do have the correct Apple lightning lead, its just that it will need to go into the converter lead from the USB end of the apple lead down to the Micro USB of the Nyon unit, so, I predict that will not be an issue as the lightning lead is the correct one, but, the new iPhones 5S and above are very fussy with cables.
Yep just plug your apple cable into one of these.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Just to eliterate as I have had Nyon for some time and have Nyon bikes in stock right now...

I can connect to Wifi and download regional maps as well as the whole of the UK. No where does it cost extra.
Enough memory to store everything, not yet had any memory issues. Its not like it storing photos of videos..
Not every user will have a smart phone, I have been using all functions and yet to connect smartphone, all it does not have is the text message come up on screen etc.
Yes delayed due to iOS8. Germans redesigned the front end of the app. Expected out at xmas. Seeing as most of you don't have Nyon yet, I don't think it will be a problem? ;)
Not sure what this even means, the Nyon has inbuilt GPS. Doesnt need anything but itself to connect to GPS and follow a route.

Regards
Martin
Thanks Martin, especially for the clarification regarding the 20km radius. It seems it is just routing outside the 20km radius that you have to pay for, as others deduced in this thread.

That and the other points were summaries of issues people raised on the French Cyclurba forum. To be more specific about the issues (again as reported by users - I don't have one myself):
  • People felt that 500Mb was insufficient in this day and age. The maps of France and of Germany are greater than 500Mb in size (no idea about UK), although it is possible to only load regions to fit them on the Nyon.
  • Smartphone connectivity seems to be needed for:
    • Purchasing premium features (routing outside the home 20km radius, creating and assigning customised power levels for example)
    • Downloading map information if you move outside the stored area whilst out and about
  • The comments about the Nyon GPS and mapping capabilities being "unusable" were not that it doesn't work at all but that it isn't as good as people expected. Issues reported:
    • Cannot add waypoints to a journey
    • No loading of GPX trails
    • Entering routes via www.ebike-connect.com (the Nyon portal) works on maybe 1 out of 5 attempts.
    • One report of Nyon refusing a route saying it was not "realistic" (this was a 64km route when Nyon was saying it had enough charge for 120km).
    • Haphazard routing, avoiding paths and sometimes imposing detours of several kilometres to use roads
    • The OpenStreetMaps on the Nyon seem to be more limited than normal, with some paths missing
Michael

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
The good thing about all this is that we are starting to get to know this product more and some people have started to get them on bikes. So, this thread should grow as we get more experienced. Having said that, I would really miss the opportunity to load GPX trails if this facility does turn out not to be available. The truth is at this stage nobody can tell us what these premium features are that we can purchase, lets hope we find out soon!!! Thanks, Dave

Got my Haibike Xduro Cross Pro 2015 today, great bike btw :)
I can`t download the app from Google Play to my Android phone. My dealer contacted Bosch and they told him that the app. doesn`t work in Denmark yet, but it will soon (12-14 days).
I have a lot of problems getting the site ebike-connect.com working with
Internet Explorer latest version, however it works with Firefox.
I found this FAQ
with

Attachments

Last edited:

Hugh Leighton

Just Joined
Oct 30, 2014
Hi Guys,

As always here to keep people updated to the progress in the Crank Drive ebike market.
Bosch are releasing a new system in 2015 which is part of their new Performance line. The new product incorporates Bluetooth connection between the head unit and the users phone to play multimedia, view text messages coming in etc. It also has a rather nifty 3D Sat Nav system on board.. This will be know as: Nyon.

View attachment 6666

Nyon is an ebike controller, navigation device and fitness trainer all in one and at the same time provides smartphone features and music control. Nyon is the universal interface between technology, environment, community and the eBiker. Many new apps, updates and functions within the Bosch online portal will continue to expand the world of eBiking.
Its modern design won it this year’s Red Dot Award for product design. From Spring 2014 several bicycle brands will offer Bosch Performance Line eBikes with Nyon. From the 2015 model year this modern on-board computer will be available with many other eBikes.

View attachment 6667

Bosch Nyon Performance - all functions in one device

First all-in-one eBike cycle computer with separate remote control unit
With ebike, navigation, fitness and Internet features
Bicycle-optimised navigation system with moving map in 2D and 3D
Heart rate chest strap connection enables many additional training functions
Through Smartphone connection, SMS messages and calls are displayed plus music player control is possible
High-tech highlights:
Large 4.3-inch colour display
Intelligent remaining range calculation takes into account topography and riding behavior
Micro-USB interface
Waterproof with closed USB cap
Customisation:
Customisable individual screen layout
Motor support for 5 riding modes can be set individually

With Nyon Bosch eBike Systems is striking out in a new direction: With Nyon you can check your elevation profile and battery range, set your assistance level and view the route to take you back home – all on one device. You decide which information is shown on the screen and where.
You can set your own favourite screen in addition to the so-called Ride screen by using the Bosch app on your smartphone. You can also set the eBike motor’s assistance models to suit you. So the new on-board computer enables eBikers for the first time to fine-tune the motor comfortably for their individual needs.
The 4.3-inch Nyon display is easy to read in all light conditions due to its transreflective technology. Intuitive to use, it is remote-controlled from the handlebars. On the road, eBikers keep their smartphones safely and comfortably in their pockets, connected to Nyon by Bluetooth as required. The mobile phone’s music player can be remote controlled from the unit on the handlebars. Calls and messages are shown on the Nyon display. Texts can even be read on the display when the bike is stationary. When it is on the move this function is disabled for safety’s sake.

View attachment 6668

Bosch eBike Navigation: A new take on navigation
Nyon’s navigation system is specially designed for the eBike with bicycleoptimised route calculation based on the Wiki Open Street Map (OSM). The GPS with Moving Map in 2D and 3D calculates the best eBike route. An optional extra is a smart remaining range calculator. Instead of a distance in kilometres environmental conditions such as topography and cycling behaviour are taken into account and the remaining range is shown clearly and comprehensibly on a map.

Bosch eBike Fitness: Training with Nyon
Connect heart rate chest straps to Nyon by Bluetooth and it becomes a fitness and training control centre. Heart rate and pedalling cadence, cycling performance, calorie consumption and training efficiency are shown graphically on the display. En route and afterward, you can follow activities and training progress on the Bosch Online Portal and share them with others.

Alongside this there will be a new on-line portal where you can upload results, move data into graphs and share with others.

Like I said above this will become more readily available on certian models throughout the 2015 season.

Regards
Martin
Any idea if this is going to be able as a retrofit replacing intuvia head unit, and if so, cost?

Hugh Leighton

Just Joined
Oct 30, 2014
Asked about this a while ago and was told no... Unfortunately.. If that has changed I want one..
Bosch website says
http://www.connect-your-way.com/the-ebike-system/
"The Performance Line from Bosch impeccably equips your eBike for any challenge. Consisting of a dynamic drive unit, high-performance rechargeable batteries and a clever onboard computer, this advance system sets the highest standards in ride, range, ergonomics and design. Depending on its manufacturer, the eBike is equipped with either the Nyon or Intuvia onboard computer. In future, the Nyon will also be available as a retrofit solution."
which suggested to me it could be although no indication of when and how much. Would make sense, and I too want one.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
and I too want one.
Judging by the various threads, I don't think you want one just yet.

Looks as if Bosch has released a test bed, they should be paying the public for the development work, not charging the public to do it.

Reactions: triumph_st