Brake lever cut off.

ding-dong

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2011
Costa Blanca Spain
Hello again,
I have seen some forum debates on brake lever cut offs. Would it be a good idea to have the cut off just on one lever (the one you use most). Just thinking it's one less wire to try and hide???
Byeeeeee, ding-dong, Eddie.

TwoBikes

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2011
One of our trikes has a cut-off on just one lever, because the other lever has a built in parking brake that we wanted to keep. This arrangement doesn't seem to cause any problems, but when a visitor wants to have a go, I always tell them to apply both brakes to stop, so that they don't have to remember which brake will cut out the motor and which will not.

Our other trike has no brake lever cut-offs at all, but I'm not suggesting that's a good idea!

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I am not sure for pedelec but IMHO for thumb throttle controlled setups, a minimum of one cut out brake is essential.

The only thing I have noticed on two bikes where I have fitted cutout brakes, is that if you let the brake go and still have the thumb throttle pushed the motor will spin up.

A nice system would be where you have to reset (let go) the throttle before it operates again having used a cutout brake.

PS are cutout brakes mandatory under law now ?

Regards

Jerry

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes they are, at least one.
Not on pedelecs though, only with throttle bikes. Models with the Panasonic system for example don't have them and there is no design provision to fit them. In places like the Netherlands where most bikes are pedelecs, brake cutouts are rarely seen.

A pedelecs cutout is of course the act of stopping pedalling, which is always done when braking!

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
We've just received a batch of brake levers with Hall effect switches - non-contact, more robust. If the vulnerability of mechanical switches on brake levers is the issue, then perhaps sourcing contact-less sensor switches could be the answer.
We're trying these as part of a hydraulic brake upgrade for our Juicy Sport model.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
I didn't bother fitting the brake cut-outs to my conversion at all. After all, 200Kmiles of riding motorcycles taught me to use a throttle. It's not exactly difficult.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
All well and good if you have throttle only but with the classic simple pedelec sensor the motor tends to be powered for a few seconds after you stop pedalling which can be a bit of a liability. A brake cut -out kills the motor instantly and is a good safety feature.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I didn't bother fitting the brake cut-outs to my conversion at all. After all, 200Kmiles of riding motorcycles taught me to use a throttle. It's not exactly difficult.
With a twist throttle I would agree, but thumb throttles are easily knocked plus the build quality of these thumb throttle concerns me should it get stuck on or break.

I also have a kill switch which I can reach when riding and just push to isolate the battery.

Regards

Jerry