Brexit,actually the UK has come out rather well.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I didn't. I said "Brexiters know so little of the subject", that means the Brexit subject in general. We've repeatedly been getting this false assumption about our liability for eurozone debts, when no such liability exists. And it's far from the only false assumption about our EU membership status.
It's the generalisation.. it's like saying all remainers want to overturn the result when most seem to have accepted it..

I'll reply to your question about business in a minute...

I am glad you can smile. But look at it from his point of view.. Its what he has campaigned for for years. Can you imagine how the morning after must have felt for him?
Yes... one would have expected him to want to lead the party through this glory time. Maybe ride the glorious wave he started for the next couple of years. Perhaps become an MP, hold the government to account etc etc.

Oh no wait... he crapped himself and ran from the mess he started.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'll reply to your question about business in a minute...

Yes... one would have expected him to want to lead the party through this glory time. Maybe ride the glorious wave he started for the next couple of years. Perhaps become an MP, hold the government to account etc etc.

Oh no wait... he crapped himself and ran from the mess he started.
OH dear there you go again .. Started well but ended poorly with a bit more remoning..
Nigel Farage is his own worst enemy.. He says all the things that other think but dare not say.. but then goes too far with it so I doubt many would vote for him anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: tillson

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Its what he has campaigned for for years. Can you imagine how the morning after must have felt for him?
He was delighted and triumphant when the result was announced.

But I bet the following day he had a feeling of anti-climax after so many years of campaigning. The contest can often be more enjoyable than a successful outcome.

• Agree
So KTM.. I understand that all thia sffects your bussines but if you coukd set aside all this toung in cheek argybargy.
Honestly, without any blibberblabber or other opinionated claptrap...
What do you think the eventual outcome will be... will we end up in or out?
You've asked a decent question and made a reasonable point, so I'll repond :)

I honestly don't think it'll have a massively negative impact on my business. I'm comfortable our business model can adapt and the way we work will mean we continue to take market share from the big players in the UK. We can survive at a smaller size than we currently are, but I expect us to continue to grow as the bigger players who aren't as flexible and work on tighter margins have different and possibly more challenging issues.

The negative impact it will have I know about though my work in a few fields. currently import. So the reason I'm fairly comfortable that it won't impact my company too strongly is that I know the negative effects will effect all our imports. If we leave the single market that will mean everything we currently buy being sat in customers for clearance, having a handling fee charged and taking longer to get to market. This means the end consumer will pay more, even without a tariff or without continued decline in the value of the £.

So the country will be worse off with no matching pay rise at the same time.

This will decrease spending power and increase inflation. With no real benefit to the economy.

We'll still sell bikes because the type of people we sell to are generally enthusiasts or commuters. Both of these type of people need bikes, they might cut back on the price a bit, or maybe not replace their bike as often, but cyclists are cyclists... they'll cut back on lots of things before they give up on their bikes.

As for what I think the outcome will be, well honestly, I've spoken to a number of MPs and met with a Lord personally. I think Trump is the best thing that could have happened for remain campaigners. He's now giving a first hand demonstration of what a nationist, right wing, protectionist world can look like, he's also showing that scapegoating doesn't work.

I hope that A50 gets triggered, the pain starts to kick in, and people suffer, me included. I think this is needed so that people can see that we've actually been doing pretty well inside the EU, and unemployment is low, interest rates are low and we have cheap food and clothes etc etc. Our universities are boosting many poor urban areas and growing because of increased attendance from foreign students. There are lots and lots of problems in the UK, and I'm not trying to push them under the carpet, but I think they are solved by many many things that can be done by the UK and isn't being prevented by the EU. Blaming the EU for everything doesn't help anyone, apart from those that are hiding from the blame.

I think the departure of the main players in the Leave campaign tells us everything. Leave has sold a dream or a promise of a better life, which isn't possible, I suspect. I hope it is, but literally every expert I've spoken to in every field has said its a bad idea.

I'd love to be wrong, and as I've said before if you can give me things to be positive about, I'll happily change my views. But its been getting on for a year now, and still nothing sensible I'm afraid.

• Agree
Reactions: Hugh and flecc

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
He was delighted and triumphant when the result was announced.

But I bet the following day he had a feeling of anti-climax after so many years of campaigning. The contest can often be more enjoyable than a successful outcome.
I think the contest was more of a one man war..
Which reminds me of how clever the media are.. They always show him holding a pint.. And Sturgen with a pout on her lips like she is laying down the law..

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
You've asked a decent question and made a reasonable point, so I'll repond :)

I honestly don't think it'll have a massively negative impact on my business. I'm comfortable our business model can adapt and the way we work will mean we continue to take market share from the big players in the UK. We can survive at a smaller size than we currently are, but I expect us to continue to grow as the bigger players who aren't as flexible and work on tighter margins have different and possibly more challenging issues.

The negative impact it will have I know about though my work in a few fields. currently import. So the reason I'm fairly comfortable that it won't impact my company too strongly is that I know the negative effects will effect all our imports. If we leave the single market that will mean everything we currently buy being sat in customers for clearance, having a handling fee charged and taking longer to get to market. This means the end consumer will pay more, even without a tariff or without continued decline in the value of the £.

So the country will be worse off with no matching pay rise at the same time.

This will decrease spending power and increase inflation. With no real benefit to the economy.

We'll still sell bikes because the type of people we sell to are generally enthusiasts or commuters. Both of these type of people need bikes, they might cut back on the price a bit, or maybe not replace their bike as often, but cyclists are cyclists... they'll cut back on lots of things before they give up on their bikes.

As for what I think the outcome will be, well honestly, I've spoken to a number of MPs and met with a Lord personally. I think Trump is the best thing that could have happened for remain campaigners. He's now giving a first hand demonstration of what a nationist, right wing, protectionist world can look like, he's also showing that scapegoating doesn't work.

I hope that A50 gets triggered, the pain starts to kick in, and people suffer, me included. I think this is needed so that people can see that we've actually been doing pretty well inside the EU, and unemployment is low, interest rates are low and we have cheap food and clothes etc etc. Our universities are boosting many poor urban areas and growing because of increased attendance from foreign students. There are lots and lots of problems in the UK, and I'm not trying to push them under the carpet, but I think they are solved by many many things that can be done by the UK and isn't being prevented by the EU. Blaming the EU for everything doesn't help anyone, apart from those that are hiding from the blame.

I think the departure of the main players in the Leave campaign tells us everything. Leave has sold a dream or a promise of a better life, which isn't possible, I suspect. I hope it is, but literally every expert I've spoken to in every field has said its a bad idea.

I'd love to be wrong, and as I've said before if you can give me things to be positive about, I'll happily change my views. But its been getting on for a year now, and still nothing sensible I'm afraid.
Actually I was interested in how you think it will end. I think it will be turned around and we will stay.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc
Actually I was interested in how you think it will end. I think it will be turned around and we will stay.
we'll all be dead?

oh, you mean this little bit of history.

Yes I think we'll stay, or indeed leave and then get back in again.

UKIP can then get back to fighting to leave, but their promise of "sovereignty" "migration control" "more money" etc etc will have been proven to being the nonsense that it is.

The reason TM is clearly delaying is because she clearly wants to remain, she wanted to remain last year. The public voting to leave, clearly doesn't change all the facts of the case that meant she wanted to remain last year.

• Disagree
Reactions: Live_Steam_Mad

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If we leave the single market that will mean everything we currently buy being sat in customers for clearance, having a handling fee charged and taking longer to get to market. This means the end consumer will pay more, even without a tariff or without continued decline in the value of the £.
Why? Customs clearance for Chinese bikes is all computerized, after brexit, goods imported from the EU would be subjected to the same regime, no sweat really.
The problem for importers is actually when brexit succeeds, the Pound then rises in value causing earnings to drop.

Why? Customs clearance for Chinese bikes is all computerized, after brexit, goods imported from the EU would be subjected to the same regime, no sweat really.
The problem for importers is actually when brexit succeeds, the Pound then rises in value causing earnings to drop.
you're looking at things from a EU importer of Chinese goods yes?

You have no idea what the UK / Chinese relationship will be.

I've imported from all over the world, lots of different products in different tariff categories, from Europe, Aus, US and Asia.

Most of the UK stuff comes into the UK from the EU, and a high % of that by lorry. It'll be checked at customs, or do you think it won't be?

A company I know of buys everything by the dollar price so have literally lost millions so far.. So what have they done? Lost money perhaps? Nope, just got rid of staff to balance things out..
yes, so the business owners and business doesn't loose.

Its the working man, that gets shafted... looses their job, whilst the ones who keep theirs find everything they want to buy has gone up, whilst their wages haven't.

... and we voted for this??

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
yes, so the business owners and business doesn't loose.

Its the working man, that gets shafted... looses their job, whilst the ones who keep theirs find everything they want to buy has gone up, whilst their wages haven't.

... and we voted for this??
Wages have been falling for years. My wife worked in a nursing home for 20 years on the lowest wage they could get away with paying. When the minimum wage came in she got a big payrise which was still a pittance for such hard work.
We hear about all the jobs the British will not do so the migrants take up the slack.. in truth, and as an example, the rich owners of nursing homes don't want to pay a decent wage for a difficult job and migrant workers are happy to work long hours for little money. Which is how those at the bottom of the ladder find their standard of living being eroded and also why they welcome the promissed escape of brexit. Be it real or imaginary..

• Agree
Wages have been falling for years. My wife worked in a nursing home for 20 years on the lowest wage they could get away with paying. When the minimum wage came in she got a big payrise which was still a pittance for such hard work.
We hear about all the jobs the British will not do so the migrants take up the slack.. in truth, and as an example, the rich owners of nursing homes don't want to pay a decent wage for a difficult job and migrant workers are happy to work long hours for little money. Which is how those at the bottom of the ladder find their standard of living being eroded and also why they welcome the promissed escape of brexit. Be it real or imaginary..
This is true, wages haven't been rising and have been falling.

We have a nursing home over the road from our offices. Its always looking for staff, always. My sister in law works there! You can't blame migrants for this, they are doing the jobs that need doing. We don't have high unemployment, so its not like they are taking jobs from people. Also the argument that EU migrants have kept wages down doesn't fit I'm afraid because wages are stagnant across pretty much all sectors. Famously journalism, lots of interesting discussion on that if you want to read about it.

Breixt won't solve it, because the promise is that we'll have a system with permits etc, so your rich nursing homes will just issue permits for the staff, because they will still be needed post brexit, possibly even more if the UK pensioners have to come back from Spain.