Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Absolutely 100% correct this is so obvious you wouldn't think it needs saying but it does. I remember watching debates before the referendum, and the leave spokespersons all saying we are bound to get a good deal from the EU because they have a trade surplus with us. They kept saying they sell us more than we sell them, so it is in their interests to give us a good deal.

I remember thinking though as you have just posted that a reduction in some of this trade say 15 or 20% is not going to make much of a difference to any of the 27, but will have a massive impact on us. I don't recall anyone on the Remain side making this point, or if they did they didn't seem to make it very well.

All I can remember is the Leave side saying the Germans will still want to sell us their cars and the French sell us their wine etc. so we are sure to get a good deal. I certainly don't remember any prominent Leave campaigner saying there was a good chance we could end up with no deal. In fact David Davies said we will end up with a deal with exactly the same benefits as we had while we are a member, and Liam Fox said the trade deal will be the easiest deal to negotiate in history. What a couple of jokers those two are.
Didn't they also say there was no question of us leaving the Single Market and the Customs Union?
And of course look at the trade deals the EU has signed since then. Japan could easily end up being a better export market for them than we are!

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
There is a way to make this statement come true
"Liam Fox said the trade deal will be the easiest deal to negotiate in history."

Tell them we have cancelled Brexit,it was all a sick joke by a bunch of political villains

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Well hey the good ole US of A is disappearing under a mountain of cheese you might get a good deal there! Most cheese produced in the USA is... wait for it... mozzarella! You can't make these things up, and here I was thinking that mozzarella was made from water buffalo milk in Italy...

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Well hey the good ole US of A is disappearing under a mountain of cheese you might get a good deal there! Most cheese produced in the USA is... wait for it... mozzarella! You can't make these things up, and here I was thinking that mozzarella was made from water buffalo milk in Italy...

Ewe chedder brielive it.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
From the Fail again but the quotes are true.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6577929/Hungarys-PM-calls-anti-immigrant-forces-EU-says-hell-fight-Macron.html

I don't know why you are poo pooing Zlats' predictions. They are happening right now.
What predictions?

My prediction is that several of the countries that the UK pushed to get into the EU will be put on the sideline. Orban is already menaced with going to court for not following the rules.

According to the 2011 Hungarian census, there were 5,579 Muslims in Hungary, making up only about 0.057% of the total population. Of these, 4,097 (73.4%) declared themselves as Hungarian, while 2,369 (42.5%) as Arab by ethnicity.

The man is a liar and a fool - headline from a left wing US magazine today: Is Trump a lying racist or a racist liar? He is Orban's hero.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
From the Fail again but the quotes are true.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6577929/Hungarys-PM-calls-anti-immigrant-forces-EU-says-hell-fight-Macron.html

I don't know why you are poo pooing Zlats' predictions. They are happening right now.
That link has no relationship to what is being ridiculed about Zlatan's latest post. In any case, Viktor Orban is clearly either lying to seek populist advantage or a nutter suffering from delusions about a non-existent Muslim menace.

As AK predicts, if he continues on this path, Hungary will be severely punished by the EU.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1069641/brexit-news-latest-no-deal-france-eu-economy-today-amendment-theresa-may-john-bercow-uk
https://www.ft.com/content/e183b28a-1337-11e9-a581-4ff78404524e
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/1069577/Brexit-news-financial-crisis-europe-european-union-World-Bank-forecast-no-deal

Oh ofcourse Zlatan is being ridiculous pointing out reality to the simple minded.
All you folk arguing EU to be some panecea of economic and political sense need to travel more, take notice of what they see and subscribe to FT and Economist.
Anybody thinking EU will not face severe and serious economic , political and social challenges with or without Brexit is deluded. But we knew that already.
Germany is already facing more severe fiscal problems than UK before Brexit has happened.
Assuming EU and Germany are stronger than they are is stupid during negotiations. But then again stupidity on here is a common commodity. EU does not hold all the aces, yes we are in a disadvantaged position but you remainers just want to roll over, give in and be walked all over.. There, s a name for it. Remaining...

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
All you folk arguing EU to be some panecea of economic and political sense .
No-one has said that in reply to your post that we ridiculed, just your imagination running riot again.

Anybody thinking EU will not face severe and serious economic , political and social challenges with or without Brexit is deluded.
Every country in the world is facing those, neither the EU nor Germany is excluded. But Germany is better placed than almost any country to deal with them.

If we go for No Deal you'll really understand what those problems mean for the UK.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and Wicky

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Anybody thinking EU will not face severe and serious economic , political and social challenges with or without Brexit is deluded. But we knew that already.
the whole world is affected by Mr Trump's politics.
You should think of how it affects the UK. Already brexit is causing trouble for the retail sector.
People are worried that another drop in the value of the Pound in case of No Deal brexit will reduce their purchasing power so they tighten the belt accordingly.

Reactions: robdon and Zlatan

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
the whole world is affected by Mr Trump's politics.
You should think of how it affects the UK. Already brexit is causing trouble for the retail sector.
People are worried that another drop in the value of the Pound in case of No Deal brexit will reduce their purchasing power so they tighten the belt accordingly.

The retail sector is booming. We've never spent more money. The issue is more of it is online and high streets and iconic shops are suffering,

• Agree
Reactions: tommie and Zlatan

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
figures from last year and from the BBC, so that speaks for itself..
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46043427
Not sure why you posted this link
Spanish Vox party: Nationalists vow to 'make Spain great again'

Vox's leaders also reject the far-right label, insisting it is a party of "extreme necessity" rather than extremism and its overall support for Spain's membership of the EU differentiates it from many populist and far-right movements across Europe.

Didn't you bother to read it?

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Advertisers