Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The retail sector is booming. We've never spent more money. The issue is more of it is online and high streets and iconic shops are suffering,
says who? Year on year, December retail sales down 3.9%, the BBC said it this morning.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, its very clear Europe is falling apart - in 5 years time the poor old remainers won`t have anything to remain to..!!

View attachment 28453
Switzerland isn't even in the EU anyway, and not one of those EU members extreme parties in anything like a winning position. When it comes to elections they suddenly seem to sag, the Netherlands, France and Italy showing that in recent years.

Demonstrations and responses to pollsters on more extreme positions are one thing, but when the ballot paper is in front of people, they often hesitate to commit and play safe instead.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
says who? Year on year, December retail sales down 3.9%, the BBC said it this morning.

Says me.

We have never spent more money than in 2018.

You are looking at December spending in some shops. I'm talking about everything and everywhere.

We have never spent more money. Just because some shops profits fell doesn't mean we weren't spening monies hand over fist.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
the whole world is affected by Mr Trump's politics.
You should think of how it affects the UK. Already brexit is causing trouble for the retail sector.
People are worried that another drop in the value of the Pound in case of No Deal brexit will reduce their purchasing power so they tighten the belt accordingly.
No doubt our usual trolls will try and say all "Sales are booming" strange that we have this headline in the Independent
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-retail-sales-january-latest-below-forecast-brexit-inflation-a8213506.html
UK retail sales slump to way below forecasts as inflation and Brexit bite

On three-month basis, growth rate to end of January was lowest since last April

Also the BBC news this afternoon was reporting sales in all retail areas are in sharp decline.
But that will be an inconvenient fact for the leave camp of course. I their alternative universe fact and fiction changed places long ago.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Says me.

We have never spent more money than in 2018.

You are looking at December spending in some shops. I'm talking about everything and everywhere.

We have never spent more money. Just because some shops profits fell doesn't mean we weren't spening monies hand over fist.
True, steadily increasing year by year:

Retail Sales YoY in the United Kingdom averaged 2.55 percent from 1997 until 2018

2018 is currently up on the last year, from 2.4% to 3.6%, but it has to be said that the annual increase is mainly that of inflation, so just holding its own.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
No doubt our usual trolls will try and say all "Sales are booming" strange that we have this headline in the Independent
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-retail-sales-january-latest-below-forecast-brexit-inflation-a8213506.html
UK retail sales slump to way below forecasts as inflation and Brexit bite

On three-month basis, growth rate to end of January was lowest since last April

Also the BBC news this afternoon was reporting sales in all retail areas are in sharp decline.
But that will be an inconvenient fact for the leave camp of course. I their alternative universe fact and fiction changed places long ago.

Rest easy old friend.

I'm talking all retail sales and throughout the year.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Rest easy old friend.

I'm talking all retail sales and throughout the year.
Once you account for inflation as flecc mentioned, the trend is firmly established since the vote and it's in the wrong direction.

Just now:

Halfords blames mild weather and weak demand for profit slip. More than £120m was wiped off the value of the Halfords bikes and car maintenance chain on Thursday after the retailer issued its second profits warning in a year, blaming mild weather and lower consumer confidence for a fall in sales.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/10/halfords-blames-mild-weather-and-weak-demand-for-profit-slip

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and oyster

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have lots of personal issues, living in the denial of facts isn't one of them...

The populist right wing is 26% of the EU's population, I already posted that figure a while back. Now if we were in the USA that would be a presidential majority but in the EU only in Austria. For those who have problems with history there was a guy with a moustache born in Austria a while back... The only people I have met who were challenging the Austrians for being the most right wing racists on the continent were the Swiss and the English. And I said English, not the British, that was back in the day of the National Front.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
He's an obviously self declared Remainer who makes clear his opinions through other's words, without personally posting anything others can criticise or quote.

A sort of wordless Twitter, that's clever.
Yep, more should do it.. All the remainers...?? Start with you flecc...

Advertisers