Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Stop trying to cause trouble you vile troll.
You should really watch what you post and be less insulting there is no excuse for making a crass, stupid and senseless remark as you just did and then respond with an insult .
Your behaviour has demonstrated exactly what you are, ignorant and boorish.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I like your candour, it's a refreshing change from the posturing so typical on forums. I read a cliche recently - that being rich means having enough money to do what you want to do, which I find liberating
But the capitalist in me would wonder whether 400 euros a month would buy something outright on a mortgage on the continent. I have a small farm outside la spezia overlooking the ocean that cost 60k euros a few years back. French/Italian cultures affordable property and lack of obsessive materialism is also quite liberating

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Its not at all. Flecc wouldnt have broached subject had he not been willing to answer questions. Its a fair question which Flecc and I sort of covered.
Seems to me folk actually " enjoying" the time is not that important. Its how valueable the time is. People live in hope and "enjoy" things us in a better situation take for granted. My mum had a torid time in her last year but saw great grandson, went to his christening and even with what she went through I think she would have done same again given choice. I dont think it was an enjoyable time for her but it was valueble to her. Not sure I could go through it , but do we have a choice???
My father died at 55, years ago, I, m pretty sure he, d have rather gone through same as step dad in his last years of life at 97 than leave his family when he did.
It was a fair question, but does anybody actually know answer.
The intent was clear enough
"
Did he not enjoy those 2 extra years?

The two of you are as bad as each other if you don't understand the nuances of the language

• Agree
  • Offensive Language
Reactions: robdon and Fingers

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
But the capitalist in me would wonder whether 400 euros a month would buy something outright on a mortgage on the continent. I have a small farm outside la spezia overlooking the ocean that cost 60k euros a few years back. French/Italian cultures affordable property and lack of obsessive materialism is also quite liberating

CAUTION. NAZI ALERT.

• Offensive Language
  • Disagree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I like your candour, it's a refreshing change from the posturing so typical on forums. I read a cliche recently - that being rich means having enough money to do what you want to do, which I find liberating
I have nothing to hide, I have posted before on the forum that I was working poor, things are looking much better these days however, and in part thanks to paying rent which is normal in relation to my revenu. I am fortunate to have had a very interesting life - rich in experience - but have never had much financial success.

Extreme poverty in France means getting a benefit of 550.93€ a month
Poverty level is 60% of median revenu or 1023€
To be able to get social housing the revenu ceiling is 1718€ a month

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
I have nothing to hide, I have posted before on the forum that I was working poor, things are looking much better these days however, and in part thanks to paying rent which is normal in relation to my revenu. I am fortunate to have had a very interesting life - rich in experience - but have never had much financial success.

Good for you. Success isn’t measured in cash terms. If you are happy, then you are successful in life.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You can buy a borda - Basque barn in the mountains - on 3.5 hectares for 20k €. Often no running water, no electricity but you wouldn't want to live there between December and May.

For 400€ a month I would prefer investing in a cargo trike and doing deliveries to help prop up the tiny pension that will be part of having lived an "interesting" life...

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Well done, there is no shame in being at the lower end of the income scale of society,whereas it is rare for someone at the upper end to claim they didn't get there by depriving those below them.
We are all human,and don't come with a price tag to separate us.
Society only works well if there is a place for all in it that is fair, something that has yet to be achieved

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Well done, there is no shame in being at the lower end of the income scale of society,whereas it is rare for someone at the upper end to claim they didn't get there by depriving those below them.
We are all human,and don't come with a price tag to separate us.
Society only works well if there is a place for all in it that is fair, something that has yet to be achieved
I flirted with money for a while but decided seeing my kids grow was not compatible with 70 hour working weeks so worked 35 hour weeks instead. That didn't go down well with the bank...

Having had stuff - the nice car, the beach cat, motorbike etc., etc. - I am much happier now without. Today my only worry is getting a rear hub motor wheel built and a battery welded so that I can have two electric bikes. Oh and getting the damned dinghy finished and out of my living room... :rolleyes:

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
I see that May has yet again delayed a vote on her deal. Can anyone actually say what has changed since the first cancellation on 10/12/2018? The EUs stance is exactly the same, she has achieved absolutely nothing in the past two months and will achieve nothing new in the coming days.

Her ploy to run down the clock is so wafer thin even the dumbest person can see straight through it. It’s insulting. MPs must be able to do something to knee-cap her. This so called deal of hers has more disadvantages then remaining and leaving. The EU said we weren’t going to be allowed to cherry pick, but they have allowed it to happen, May has cherry picked all the undesirable bits.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I see that May has yet again delayed a vote on her deal. Can anyone actually say what has changed since the first cancellation on 10/12/2018? The EUs stance is exactly the same, she has achieved absolutely nothing in the past two months and will achieve nothing new in the coming days.

Her ploy to run down the clock is so wafer thin even the dumbest person can see straight through it. It’s insulting. MPs must be able to do something to knee-cap her. This so called deal of hers has more disadvantages then remaining and leaving. The EU said we weren’t going to be allowed to cherry pick, but they have allowed it to happen, May has cherry picked all the undesirable bits.
nobody expects any substantial change because the deal is already done, only the ratification process needs completion.
If TM comes back with a concession, she will be pushed to ask for more by those who will vote against her no matter what. If she doesn't, she will still be accused by the same people for not asking enough. Only a token gesture at the last minute will have a chance of getting her deal through in the week before the deadline. If she fails, there may be a majority in parliament to extend A50.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018

That's interesting, would £1600/mnth, around 24k a year before tax qualify for social housing in UK? I suspect many on zero hour contracts etc earn around this. In reality it's obviously inadequate (studios start at ten times that).

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
nobody expects any substantial change because the deal is already done, only the ratification process needs completion.
If TM comes back with a concession, she will be pushed to ask for more by those who will vote against her no matter what. If she doesn't, she will still be accused by the same people for not asking enough. Only a token gesture at the last minute will have a chance of getting her deal through in the week before the deadline. If she fails, there may be a majority in parliament to extend A50.
But will the EU agree to that, and for what purpose?

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

I cannot agree with the second part of your post.

Yes she has achieved nothing,with the two months delay, except delay. The EU has attempted to make as many minor concessions as they are able , without reopening the WA... A temporary extension to Eurotunnel, temporary extensions to aircraft landing. ..But temporary is temporary,and other legitimate EU businesses will start to complain to the ECJ , if these are extended.

The air of un reality persists around Westminster. The reported comments of O Robbins yesterday are indicative. There will be no revisiting of the WA. There will be as many statements and clarifications as Westminster wants but no change. There will be no extension to Article 50 by the EU, unless there is some seismic movement in Westminster.

It is a matter of opinion as to whether the current WA is the best which might have been achieved, but the EU side did respect all the red lines, demanded by the UK. And they had their own red line.

The single question which MPs need to focus on is whether the current status of the UK as a full member of the EU , is better for the UK than the WA or whether the WA is better than a no deal crash out. Of these , I am in no doubt,but then I am neither an MP or have a vote.

On another but unrelated matter, the Irish Company Arklow Shipping ,which had been linked with the Ramsgate fiasco, never had a contract with Seaborne. So suggesting ,as has been hinted, that they withdrew from a contract at the insistance of the Irish State ,is both untrue and slanderous.Tge highest level of engagement was a letter sent by their CEO, indicating that they might be interested..

Advertisers