Brexit, for once some facts.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
The only information I have on this is the conversation with my daughter in law last night. The facts as I understand them are .
A 15 year old child leaves England and travels to a war zone. Her motivations were ??. Excitement? Love? , Enthrallment?. Confusion? Religious fervour? She spends 4 years there,, witnesses and maybe participated in vile practices. How much of this was voluntary,how much under duress, ? How much was survival in the situation she was now in?.
Now she wants out and home. . We had trolling on this site about Stockholm Syndrome,.. well is this not a classic case.?.
My general view is that every person is entitled to citizenship of one state,and one state only. I see the concept of a person with multiple passports and citizenship of two or more countries as bigamy. Her state and citizenship is UK.
My view also is that where an adult ,decides to leave their state and fight with and for another state, they should be free to leave, and their citizenship of their original state is forfeited. However removal of a citizenship is a judicial not an administrative matter. However at the time of her departure,she was a child,and incapable of making that decision.
That the UK or the US or even the EU would seek to punish people for vile deeds carried out in lands beyond their borders is an unbelievable arrogance. So is using terminology like terrorist ,
So my view is that she would be entitled to UK consular assistance,and presumably NHS medical assistance for repatriation. Same as would be offered had her aeroplane from Heathrow to Perth, crashed in Fiji and she spent 4 years with cannibals. ( Help Not trying to be racist about Fiji..just making a point )
If she has a valid passport she has every right to come here. If she has broken some law or if she breaks one when she gets back - then she will have that to deal with.

Otherwise - we're a country of laws. That's how it works.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Words fail me - what an unbelievable statement..you have to be better than that Dan for a Louth man...c`mon!

don`t you realise this would be a green light to every wannabe budding terrorist that whenever they became bored and fed up with beheadings and torture they could just swan back into the UK to continue their brainwashing of innocent minds there...ridiculous!!
And coming from the most strongly fundamentalist Christian denomination dense section of the British Isles ,your words lack a certain compassion.
Perhaps you read but failed to understand what I wrote. Had she been an adult, at the time of leaving the UK, that would be an action deserving of expulsion ,as its a decision she was entitled to make. Perhaps the UK Border police should be prosecuted for allowing a minor to leave the country four years ago. ?
When Christ was reported as saying " suffer little childen" ,it was not a command ,and it was instead , "suffer little children to come into me". ..a slight difference in context.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
The only information I have on this is the conversation with my daughter in law last night. The facts as I understand them are .
A 15 year old child leaves England and travels to a war zone. Her motivations were ??. Excitement? Love? , Enthrallment?. Confusion? Religious fervour? She spends 4 years there,, witnesses and maybe participated in vile practices. How much of this was voluntary,how much under duress, ? How much was survival in the situation she was now in?.
Now she wants out and home. . We had trolling on this site about Stockholm Syndrome,.. well is this not a classic case.?.
My general view is that every person is entitled to citizenship of one state,and one state only. I see the concept of a person with multiple passports and citizenship of two or more countries as bigamy. Her state and citizenship is UK.
My view also is that where an adult ,decides to leave their state and fight with and for another state, they should be free to leave, and their citizenship of their original state is forfeited. However removal of a citizenship is a judicial not an administrative matter. However at the time of her departure,she was a child,and incapable of making that decision.
That the UK or the US or even the EU would seek to punish people for vile deeds carried out in lands beyond their borders is an unbelievable arrogance. So is using terminology like terrorist ,
So my view is that she would be entitled to UK consular assistance,and presumably NHS medical assistance for repatriation. Same as would be offered had her aeroplane from Heathrow to Perth, crashed in Fiji and she spent 4 years with cannibals. ( Help Not trying to be racist about Fiji..just making a point )

Send her to Ireland then.

If you won't have her let her rot where she is.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
But she is a UK citizen. Not an Irish citizen. I have not checked, but I don't believe she was born in NI.
.. Your attitude and lack of analytical ability says all .

War is war.

I was working on the story yesterday I am aware of everything you know and more about this situation.

I don't want tax payers money spent on her. Maybe ITN will pay for the family to go out there again. Then all back to their council funded house to eat food paid for by us and preach hate towards us. I don't want her back in my country.

If she dies she dies as the great Drago once said.

• Agree
Reactions: tommie

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
And coming from the most strongly fundamentalist Christian denomination dense section of the British Isles ,your words lack a certain compassion.
Perhaps you read but failed to understand what I wrote. Had she been an adult, at the time of leaving the UK, that would be an action deserving of expulsion ,as its a decision she was entitled to make. Perhaps the UK Border police should be prosecuted for allowing a minor to leave the country four years ago. ?
When Christ was reported as saying " suffer little childen" ,it was not a command ,and it was instead , "suffer little children to come into me". ..a slight difference in context.
there is also the thorny issue of the much bigger picture: the west's relationship with the middle east. creating dictators like hussein, even creating and supporting the taliban in afghanistan when it suits us, to oppose russian invasion - then suddenly a volte face when political expediency dictate otherwise, and the taliban become the terrorists. the west have qa loty to answer for in sowing and maintaining the divisions in the middle east. and syria. our picking of sides and labelling of terrorists is every bit as self serving as that of, say, russia, as it starves civilians to death for being "terrorists" in damascus. i dont think we should get too comfortable on our self creqted moral high ground.

• Agree

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
War is war.

I was working on the story yesterday I am aware of everything you know and more about this situation.

I don't want tax payers money spent on her. Maybe ITN will pay for the family to go out there again. Then all back to their council funded house to eat food paid for by us and preach hate towards us. I don't want her back in my country.

If she dies she dies as the great Drago once said.
your post says it all. clearly you have no experience of war.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
She still supports Islamic State and believes she did nothing wrong. At 15 years she was old enough to know exactly what she was doing. At that age and even younger many of her cultural origins have chosen to migrate thousands of miles alone to Europe as either refugees or economic migrants, showing considerable abilities.

In these circumstances I see no reason for accepting her back.

And as I carefully explained previously, there is no wide acceptance that the Stockholm Syndrome even exists beyond possibly a one to one relationship. By any definition it could not possibly exist between an individual in the UK and a large fighting group in a middle Eastern country in such a way as to get them to up sticks and go there.

Reactions: robdon and tommie

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
She still supports Islamic State and believes she did nothing wrong. At 15 years she was old enough to know exactly what she was doing. At that age and even younger many of her cultural origins have chosen to migrate thousands of miles alone to Europe as either refugees or economic migrants, showing considerable abilities.

And as I carefully explained previously, there is no wide acceptance that the Stockholm Syndrome even exists beyond possibly a one to one relationship. By any definition it could not possibly exist between an individual in the UK and a large fighting group in a middle Eastern country in such a way as to get them to up sticks and go there.
lets consider this, for a moment, on an individual, interpersonal basis - free from political reference. Alexander Blackman executes a wounded unarmed taliban and is pardoned and released from prison after three years in 2017. that was - in any court of justice - premeditated murder. and being pardoned highly questionable. I'm sure what she did (though i dont know teh facts) was wrong (she was at the very least complicit in murder). But she did not as far as i know shoot a wounded british soldier in cold blood. Why can she not be subjected to teh same process of justice here in the UK than Alexander Blackman was?
the reason i assert that fingers have no experience of war is because it gives one a vivid sense of the degree to which we are all - admittedly to a degree and not totally - victims of circumstance, of political manipulation - disposable "assets". we are all to varying degrees manipulated. there's nothing like the immediate experience of contact during a skirmish to bring this realization home.

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that's a valid point. but isis is a banned organisation for a reason (or many reasons) and she explicitly supported it. I can see that explicitly supporting an organisation that endorses the beheading of innocent civilians is illegal and in my view becoming complicit in murder
did she join the ranks of ISIS fighters though? as for explicitly supported it, did she make any propaganda video?

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
did she join the ranks of ISIS fighters though? as for explicitly supported it, did she make any propaganda video?
that is why i believe you raise a valid point. and why she should be judged in a British court of law. that considers the facts. and not be prejudged on the say-so of extremely expedient politicians (would any of us, really, want someone like Boris or May to decide our fate??? i thought not)

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
lets consider this, for a moment, on an individual, interpersonal basis - free from political reference. Alexander Blackman executes a wounded unarmed taliban and is pardoned and released from prison after three years in 2017. that was - in any court of justice - premeditated murder. and being pardoned highly questionable. I'm sure what she did (though i dont know teh facts) was wrong (she was at the very least complicit in murder). But she did not as far as i know shoot a wounded british soldier in cold blood. Why can she not be subjected to teh same process of justice here in the UK than Alexander Blackman was?
the reason i assert that fingers have no experience of war is because it gives one a vivid sense of the degree to which we are all - admittedly to a degree and not totally - victims of circumstance, of political manipulation - disposable "assets". we are all to varying degrees manipulated. there's nothing like the immediate experience of contact during a skirmish to bring this realization home.
Blackmans case isn't relevant in any way. As you've said, his treatment by us was to say the least questionable and therefore no reliable basis on which to decide this new issue.

Begum chose her path at a sufficient age to do so and doesn't wish to change her position on that. She simply wants to take advantage of our medical services, which is unnecessary since babies are being born all the time where she is and she is in the care of a refugee camp.

She has said she knows that she may have the baby taken from her if she returns, clearly happy to be sentenced and be a sort of martyr in prison. I don't see why she should have that personal advantage at our cost. She made her choice, let her live with it.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's not relevant though. It cannot be argued that she did not know the nature of IS and their appalling ways before going to join them. Clearly she put religious belief in the promotion of Islam by murder and worse before any scant trace of humanity.

That makes her totally unacceptable in any Western culture.

We have to start standing up against the violent expansion of extreme Islam more forcefully. They show no mercy, compassion or trace of weakness, nor should we.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

I don't think there will be a meeting of minds in this. A Child can gave the capacity to act but not the capability to appreciate the consequences of that action. Had a group of 15 year old girls been groomed by a paedophile ring , or drawn unto a cult I do not doubt that your compassion would have been raised. I see this as fundamentally the same.
Once in a mileau, It becomes even more difficult to assert independence. The number of sociological studies of cult behaviour demonstrate that. No I see her and similar as victims. Were she removed from that situation ,it is highly probable that she would revert to type.. A standard young woman who has undergone trauma.
Now there is no further point in me developing this, as I suspect views are entrenched.

D

Deleted member 128

that's a valid point. but isis is a banned organisation for a reason (or many reasons) and she explicitly supported it. I can see that explicitly supporting an organisation that endorses the beheading of innocent civilians is illegal and in my view becoming complicit in murder
Do you think that ISIS considered them to be innocent civilians?

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Blackmans case isn't relevant in any way. As you've said, his treament by us was to say the least questionable and therefore no reliable basis on which to decide this new issue.

Begum chose her path at a sufficient age to do so and doesn't wish to change her position on that. She simply wants to take advantage of our medical services, which is unnecessary since babies are being born all the time where she is and she is in the care of a refugee camp.

She has said she knows that she may have the baby taken from her if she returns, clearly happy to be sentenced and be a sort of martyr in prison. I don't see why she should have that personal advantage at our cost. She made her choice, let her live with it.
she chose to support an illegal organisation. legally, i am not at all sure that that justifies stripping her of her citizenship. morally, historically i know the west have a lot to do with the creation of isis. we grew the Taliban, we, repeatedly, destabilized the middle east. Washing our hands of her is also washing our hands of our role in creating the mess in syria. But this is complex and unfortunately i'm working and without free time so i will have to leave it to all of you sentient souls to arrive at the truth of this complex matter

Advertisers