Brexit, for once some facts.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
If history is an indicator, we are in this for the long haul. In spite of our most fervent wishes to get outside and enjoy the rites of spring—college graduations, Mother’s Day, youth sports—life is unlikely to return to normal anytime soon. The great influenza of 1918, considered the deadliest pandemic in modern history, offers a social distancing roadmap for tackling today’s COVID-19.

After Philadelphia detected its first case of flu in September 1918, leaders warned people about openly coughing and sneezing, but ten days later the city hosted a parade attended by 200,000 people. The number of influenza cases continued to mount, and two weeks after the first case there were 20,000 more. Several cities (St. Louis's Red Cross motor poll is shown above) responded quickly and decisively—and had a strikingly lower initial death rate.

As the world grinds to a halt in response to the coronavirus, scientists and historians are studying the 1918 outbreak, which killed 675,000 Americans and from 50 million to 100 million people worldwide, for clues to the most effective way to stop the pandemic.

St. Louis strictly communicated and enforced social distancing, giving it one of America’s lowest urban death rates when the outbreak, known as the great influenza, swept the nation (and the world). Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, and Columbus, Ohio, did the same thing—and had lower death rates the first few months.

But that’s not the takeaway—because St. Louis relaxed. It declared victory too soon.

That second bump in this graphic above shows the influenza's tragic reoccurrence in St. Louis, writes Nat Geo’s Nina Strochlic. Death rates shot up, higher than before.

The lesson from history–don’t cave to a restless, pent-up, impatient populace; it could be fatal. Even as the beauty of spring comes into bloom, keep your distance!

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
It's leading to some weird headlines that would have been outlandish / into the realms of satire prior to the pandemic

According to the BBC News App, the Fuzz are cracking down on Easter Egg sales too. It’s no yoke.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Honest guv, I didn't mean to...

There is one ingredient I have been thinking of ordering for some time. (Only local source I know is miles away at Asda - and they probably don't have it at that branch.) I knew I was running out but didn't want to buy until I needed it. Just about three weeks ago, I got to that point, found it at an acceptable price and in stock with Holland & Barrett. Ordered for delivery to shop. Their system continued to say it hadn't been processed. Their shop was physically closed (despite website insisting it was open). Complaint got a refund - but no product.

Found another source. Unfortunately, on Amazon. Oh well, go ahead, but I need to make my order up to £20. (Sad person I am, I won't pay for Prime and prefer to get something for my money - not just pay postage.) By the time I had got to £20, the product was no longer available. There were much more expensive suppliers, but skinflint here thought he'd check around elsewhere. eBay also too expensive and the only acceptable price supplier was on holiday (euphemisim for closed due to CV, in my reckoning). Eventually found a supplier elsewhere and ordered. Phew!

Almost a week later, I haven't even received an email. Worry about that someday when I get round to it. And the original product is now available on Amazon. OK - put Amazon order in, including the other things that get to £20. Get warned that they are prioritising some goods over others. Fine - still not that urgent.

Within two hours, the non-Amazon order has actually arrived! Go to Amazon and find they have already divided up my order into four packages, one of which has already been sent - so cancellation not possible. (Seems incredible that for just £20 I can get four separate packages. But they wouldn't send one without paying extra for delivery.)

In the end, instead of the one pack to pick up from a shop, I end up getting five (possibly more!) packages delivered. And twice as much as I need. Sorry, UPS/DPD/RM/Hermes.

And pretty much all due to CV and restrictions.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The express never did know it's backside from it's elbow
'Sheer hypocrisy' Furious caller savages Left's 'blind eye' to China's 'ghastly practices'
AN OUTRAGED caller accused the Left of being hypocrites for ignoring ghastly practices in China while complaining about life in the UK.

He said: "This China thing, it has been bugging me for quite a while on how we just turn a blind eye to what goes over there.

"For me, it is the sheer rank hypocrisy of the Left regarding China.

"I can almost let business off with it because they only go for cheap labour and go for profit more often than not.

"You see that with an awful lot of American multinationals that are quite happy for some of their factories to use slave labour and turn a blind eye.
It would appear the villains of the piece are the "lefty" American Multinationals and "lefty " British Investors too.

As we all know all too well, there is no cure for Human stupidity..

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and oyster

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
  • Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Well I know you were all waiting with bated breath for the solution to my dilemma... Well the company are happier to have half a loaf every day rather than a full loaf for a lesser time...and this might go on a long time, so they have arranged a short shift, finishing at 19:00 rather than 2300, so my daughter can take a train back to Dundalk.
Remember this all blew up from Saturday...
Incidentally the NI rail service have CLOSED the toilets, so one cannot even wash ones hands!.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Incidentally the NI rail service have CLOSED the toilets, so one cannot even wash ones hands!.
Is this because of what I read somewhere recently that the rolling stock is so old that the toilets still dump directly onto the tracks? (It used to be quite exciting in the good old days watching the ground rush by underneath the opened outlet.)

• :D
Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Home Insurance! Friend has temporarily gone back to live with her ex-. I sent her a message:

Just saw something about problems people are having with travel insurance claims and suddenly thought of you. No, not from travel insurance point of view, but regarding home insurance on your pad.

Many policies regard leaving it empty for more than 30 days as a breach of conditions. If you are insured, better make sure they will still cover you.

She replied:

Decided that honesty is best policy and phoned them to advise. They were very helpful. Have made a note on my file so everything is covered for the duration. They have sent email to confirm.

Can’t thank you enough for reminder.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Is this because of what I read somewhere recently that the rolling stock is so old that the toilets still dump directly onto the tracks? (It used to be quite exciting in the good old days watching the ground rush by underneath the opened outlet.)
..At the railway station!

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
No, most of the archaic rolling stock seems to be in England specifically the West Country and East Anglia

The introduction of modern fleets has meant almost 1,000 fewer train carriages flush out waste now than in 2015, but around 500 carriages still have toilets that empty directly on to the tracks, with lines in the West Country and in East Anglia particularly affected.

Speaking at Swindon station, where the contents of a recently flushed train toilet were clearly visible on the tracks,
Carne said: “It’s disgusting. I’ve been out there with the track workers and you see it coming, like a plume of steam. It’s totally unacceptable and I’m pleased we’ve got government agreement.”

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Well I know you were all waiting with bated breath for the solution to my dilemma... Well the company are happier to have half a loaf every day rather than a full loaf for a lesser time...and this might go on a long time, so they have arranged a short shift, finishing at 19:00 rather than 2300, so my daughter can take a train back to Dundalk.

Result! Yes you`ll find the most obliging and accommodating people to work with up North!!!

Reactions: Danidl

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
No, most of the archaic rolling stock seems to be in England specifically the West Country and East Anglia

The introduction of modern fleets has meant almost 1,000 fewer train carriages flush out waste now than in 2015, but around 500 carriages still have toilets that empty directly on to the tracks, with lines in the West Country and in East Anglia particularly affected.

Speaking at Swindon station, where the contents of a recently flushed train toilet were clearly visible on the tracks,
Carne said: “It’s disgusting. I’ve been out there with the track workers and you see it coming, like a plume of steam. It’s totally unacceptable and I’m pleased we’ve got government agreement.”

There was a song..
"
Passengers will please refrain
From flushing toilets while the train
Is standing in the station. I love you.
We encourage constipation
While the train is in the station.

If you simply have to go
When other people are too slow,
There is only one thing you can do.
You'll just have to take a chance,
Be brave, and do it in your pants,

While the train is in the station please refrain from urination
have regard for railway property
Hobo's who are underneath get it in their ears and teeth
They don't like it nor would you
Here's the tune, whistle along

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
At least 40 people died of coronavirus outside of hospital in England and Wales before 20 March, the Office of National Statistics has revealed.

According to the latest figures, there were at least 230 deaths by this date - up from the 170 that were known to have perished inside NHS buildings.

This marks a 23 per cent rise in known fatalities.

Since 20 March, the total number of deaths in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland rose from 177 deaths to 1,408.

When the additional 40 patients who died at home are counted, the total death toll is 1,448

My tweet in response

Replying to @LBCNews and @LBC
No doubt some Tory politician is busily deducting the number of casualties off the order quantity for ventilators and test sets for reasons of economy

Advertisers