Brexit, for once some facts.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Because most people struggle with arithmetic, let along them log things.

Don't you like the cut of their algibra?

Slightly more seriously, if you have an 85" tele and turn it into portrait orientation, you'd still struggle to meaningfully see 10, 100, 1000 and, god forbid, 10,000, vertically.
The curve looked quite flat when presented in that way. I thought we’d cracked it until, to my horror, I saw that the Death Axis was a logarithmic scale.

Reactions: oldgroaner

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The curve looked quite flat when presented in that way. I thought we’d cracked it until, to my horror, I saw that the Death Axis was a logarithmic scale.
Exponential growth becomes a straight line if you use a log scale for Y. That makes it easier to see if the growth rate is increasing or decreasing. The slope of the line tells you the growth rate. Sadly, any significant positive slope can quickly give large numbers

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
More grounds for a Public Inquiry on govts handling of crisis to date

COVID-19 and the NHS—“a national scandal”

I was listening to doctors phoning in to LBC this morning. They are saying that non-Coronavirus patients are dying needlessly due to lack of PPE. The resuscitation teams are required to assume that patients have the disease, even though they have not been tested. Therefore they can’t use regular resuscitation equipment because the procedure creates an aerosol. This is causing a long delay before resuscitation and costing lives. All due entirely to the lack of testing.

Doctors and nurses where still phoning in to say they have no PPE. Some reporting that what little they have has been locked away by hospital managers!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
This doc is not a happy bunny - demanding a full Public Inquiry asking why the govt was reactive rather than proactive at the early onset of the pandemic.

Thanks for posting.

About a week or two before Prof Ferguson's report finally kicked the government into some action there was an open letter from 40 (I think) doctors and epidemiologists to the government warning of the issue; which appears to have been totally ignored. That was referenced on this thread (that was where I learned about it). Can anyone point me to the letter, or to the post here? I've searched various ways but can't find it.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Farage mistakenly opened his mouth again

Nigel Farage@Nigel_Farage
· 3h
I hear that the UK Government are buying ventilators from China, yes China. Can this be true?

oldgroaner @oldgroaner
Let us hope so, since none of the people who own you seem able to

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Thanks for posting.

About a week or two before Prof Ferguson's report finally kicked the government into some action there was an open letter from 40 (I think) doctors and epidemiologists to the government warning of the issue; which appears to have been totally ignored. That was referenced on this thread (that was where I learned about it). Can anyone point me to the letter, or to the post here? I've searched various ways but can't find it.

and there was another one here from scientists

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Never in history has a British government been so intensively scrutinised. Millions of eyes, and the brains behind, are reading every word that ministers, all politicians, NHS management, issue in any form. Where a lowly porter says 1+1=2, maths professors will be checking that really is true. Where a facemask has an expiry date, forensic photographic experts will examine whether it has somehow been changed.

Just how any of them expect to get away with misleading statements and information defies belief. What once could have been hidden is now open to inspection. What is not said will appear as gaps to be explained.

Yet what do we see and hear every day? Lies interwined with fragments of truth in the hope that they will not be parsed and identified.

Let the power return to the people.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Because most people struggle with arithmetic, let along them log things.

Don't you like the cut of their algibra?

Slightly more seriously, if you have an 85" tele and turn it into portrait orientation, you'd still struggle to meaningfully see 10, 100, 1000 and, god forbid, 10,000, vertically.
It was designed by the chap who did the London Underground map :cool:

Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Sometimes I almost feel sorry for the USA

Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump
· Mar 29
“President Trump is a ratings hit. Since reviving the daily White House briefing Mr. Trump and his coronavirus updates have attracted an average audience of 8.5 million on cable news, roughly the viewership of the season finale of ‘The Bachelor.’ Numbers are continuing to rise...

He is obviously not bright enough to "do a Boris" which is pretty brave in a country where even old grandma's carry UZI machine guns as a fashion accessory.:cool:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
We have discussed a few times the reasonableness of going for a modest drive (say, 5 to 10 miles to check the sea is still there). I think the general view is that it is difficult to see anything wrong with doing so - but that some restrictions are sensible.

Seems a former supreme court judge is questioning the police. And given what they have done to a lake in Derbyshire, I really do wonder what goes through some of their heads.

Covid-19: ex-supreme court judge lambasts 'disgraceful' policing

Lord Sumption criticises Derbyshire police for stopping people exercising in Peak District

A former supreme court justice has heavily criticised Derbyshire police for stopping people exercising in the Peak District saying that such behaviour risks plunging Britain into a “police state”.

Lord Sumption warned that police had no legal power to enforce “ministers’ wishes” and that the public should not be “resigning their liberty” to over-zealous citizens in uniform.

“The behaviour of the Derbyshire police in trying to shame people in using their undoubted right to take exercise in the country and wrecking beauty spots in the fells so people don’t want to go there is frankly disgraceful,” he said.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
wrecking beauty spots in the fells
Absolutely agree with the judge's and oyster's comments.

I've seen about stopping people driving and closing car parks, but I haven't seen anything I would class as "wrecking beauty spots in the fells"; which really would be outrageous. Can anyone point me at a bit of news I missed, or was this just overstatement of the unfortunate actions I have read about?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Absolutely agree with the judge's and oyster's comments.

I've seen about stopping people driving and closing car parks, but I haven't seen anything I would class as "wrecking beauty spots in the fells"; which really would be outrageous. Can anyone point me at a bit of news I missed, or was this just overstatement of the unfortunate actions I have read about?
Police poured black dye in a beauty sport known as the 'blue lagoon' in the Peak District to deter visitors amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Officers took the action after reports that people were congregating at the spot, at Harpur Hill, Buxton during the nationwide lock-down.

Despite its beautiful appearance, the water is toxic and can cause skin irritation to swimmers, Derbyshire Live reports.

A Facebook post by Buxton Police SNT said: "The location is dangerous and this type of gathering is in contravention of the current instruction of the UK Government."

People are currently being asked to stay at home unless for very limited purposes to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/police-dye-buxton-blue-lagoon-18003674

Just what is that dye?

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner and sjpt

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
It's leading to some weird headlines that would have been outlandish / into the realms of satire prior to the pandemic

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Police poured black dye in a beauty sport known as the 'blue lagoon' in the Peak District to deter visitors amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Officers took the action after reports that people were congregating at the spot, at Harpur Hill, Buxton during the nationwide lock-down.

Despite its beautiful appearance, the water is toxic and can cause skin irritation to swimmers, Derbyshire Live reports.

A Facebook post by Buxton Police SNT said: "The location is dangerous and this type of gathering is in contravention of the current instruction of the UK Government."

People are currently being asked to stay at home unless for very limited purposes to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/police-dye-buxton-blue-lagoon-18003674

Just what is that dye?
Maybe retaliate with https://www.solarogen.com/collections/solaron™-pond-dye/products/solaron™-blue-pond-dye-liquid

Quickly beautify and enhance your lake, pond or water feature with Solaron™ Blue Pond Dye is a safe, easy-to-use colorant specially formulated for use in aquifers. It is non-toxic, non-hazardous and will not harm fish, plants or wildlife.

Advertisers