Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
..Oh no you don't ... That would be NI!.
We meaning UK includes N.I. where the pedelec law since 13th May 2020 is now effectively the same. For the whole UK now our law is the EU one which has become almost a world standard model.

With one exception which makes our UK one the strictest, the completely unnecessary 14 years lower age limit to ride one, which in typically UK fashion conflicts with our own law. Since 1994 we seem fond of passing illegal laws.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It would be a good outcome if we can limit the damage of Brexit to its being pointless.
If only. It's only pointless in what Brexiters wanted it to achieve.

In other ways it's still very damaging, giving us the worst of all worlds for a very long time.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Here come de bishops:

The Bishop of Leeds, the Right Reverend Nick Baines, said Mr Johnson was treating people "as mugs" and the Bishop of Bristol, the Right Reverend Vivienne Faull, accused the prime minister of having "no respect for people".

And the BBC website reports what I had been hoping for:

Meanwhile, in a statement posted on Twitter, Amanda Hopgood, leader of the Liberal Democrats on Durham County Council, said "a number of local residents have reported seeing Dominic Cummings on several occasions in April and May".
She said that "given the clear public interest" she has referred the matter to Durham Police to see if there had been a breach of the coronavirus regulations.

I guess additional reports were also what some of the media hoped would appear once the story got widespread enough.

The fat lady hasn't even got dressed yet.
And yet more of them! At least a dozen.

Bishops turn on Boris Johnson for defending Dominic Cummings

Church of England leaders say PM’s defence of aide was ‘risible’ and ‘lacked integrity’

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/25/bishops-turn-on-boris-johnson-for-defending-dominic-cummings

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Actually it arguably is, since with Charles the Prince of Wales in post it is a principality of England as Henry VIII ruled.
Other uses of the term
Although no principality has ever been created that covers Wales as a whole, the term "Principality" has been occasionally used since the sixteenth century as a synonym for Wales. For instance, the first atlas of Wales, by Thomas Taylor in 1718, was titled The Principality of Wales exactly described ...,[34] and the term is still used by such publications as Burke's Landed Gentry.[35] Publications such as Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales,[36] and Welsh newspapers in the 19th century commonly used the term.[37]
In modern times, however, The Guardian style guide advises writers to "avoid the word 'principality'" in relation to Wales.[38] The International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) has defined Wales as a "country" rather than a "principality" since 2011, following a recommendation by the British Standards Institute and the Welsh Government.[39]
The use of the term to refer to the territory of Wales should be distinguished from its use to refer to the title of Prince of Wales, which has been traditionally granted (together with the title Duke of Cornwall and various Scottish titles) to the heir apparent of the reigning monarch. It confers no responsibility for government in Wales,[40] and has no constitutional meaning. Plaid Cymru are in favour of scrapping the title altogether.[41] The Honours of the Principality of Wales are the Crown Jewels used at the investiture of Princes of Wales.[42]

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
We meaning UK includes N.I. where the law since 13th May 2020 is now effectively the same. For the whole UK now our law is the EU one which has become almost a world standard model.

With one exception which makes our UK one the strictest, the completely unnecessary 14 years lower age limit to ride one, which in typically UK fashion conflicts with our own law. Since 1994 we seem fond of passing illegal laws.
. Sorry, flecc, has the NI executive made ebikes legal? If so I missed that piece of world news

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk

The Hollow Men by T.S. Eliot

Mistah Kurtz - he dead.

A penny for the Old Guy

I

We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men
Leaning together
Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!
Our dried voices, when
We whisper together
Are quiet and meaningless
As wind in dry grass
or rats' feet over broken glass
In our dry cellar

It even has a pic of Dom looking smart...

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but with a whimper.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
. Sorry, flecc, has the NI executive made ebikes legal? If so I missed that piece of world news
Yes, on the 13th May 2020 when the Assembly adopted into law our 1983 EAPC regulation and 2015 amendments, both unchanged.

They already had the EU's 168/2013 type approval law which included the section 2.2(h) exemption for pedelecs from being motor vehicles.

Also they'd previously adopted our 1988 RTA as their 1995 RTA which included the 14 years lower age limit for riding a pedelec. (Amusingly that banned under 14s from riding one 25 years before pedelecs even legally existed there!)

Thus N.I. now have the whole of our EU based pedelec law.

You may find this post that I recently made elsewhere in the forum informative on this subject.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Yes, on the 13th May 2020 when the Assembly adopted into law our 1983 EAPC regulation and 2015 amendments, both unchanged.

They already had the EU's 168/2013 type approval law which included the section 2.2(h) exemption for pedleecs from being motor vehicles.

Also they'd previously adopted our 1988 RTA as their 1995 RTA which included the 14 years lower age limit for riding a pedelec. (Amusingly that banned under 14s from riding one 25 years before pedelecs even legally existed there!)

Thus N.I. now have the whole of our EU based pedelec law.

You may find this post that I recently made elsewhere in the forum informative on this subject.
Well that is good news, and I am sure welcomed by Tommie.. me also, as I look forward to driving to Carlingford, taking the ferry across and cycle along the shore of the Mournes, when this madness has abated.

Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
When introduced, I was sceptical of the setting up of police and crime commissioners. Just possibly, they do have a role...

Durham police to be asked to investigate Dominic Cummings
Force to establish facts about PM’s chief aide’s trip to north-east England during lockdown
The police and crime commissioner for Durham is to formally write to the chief constable of the force he oversees asking for an investigation into Dominic Cummings.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/25/durham-police-chief-calls-for-investigation-into-dominic-cummings

ADDED:

Dominic Cummings is expected to give a public statement and answer questions later today, the BBC’s political editor, Laura Kuenssberg, has reported.

The move comes as calls for him to resign and explain his actions mount.

ADDED:

The shadow home secretary, Nick Thomas-Symonds, has shared a letter he has sent to Priti Patel, asking a series of questions including whether guidance on travel restrictions had been updated for parents with coronavirus symptoms.

He asked:

If people are travelling in a car in the expectation that they may require childcare at some point, can you confirm that police will not be empowered to issue Fixed Penalty Notices to them?
Can you make public details of any communications between the Durham Constabulary and government officials and/or ministers since Thursday 21 May?
As you know, police officers have put themselves at extraordinary risk to keep people safe during this crisis, whilst also working with great skill to interpret and explain public health legislation.
The confusion and misinformation caused by the government’s response to these revelations appears to make this work even more difficult.

Last edited:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
When introduced, I was sceptical of the setting up of police and crime commissioners. Just possibly, they do have a role...

Durham police to be asked to investigate Dominic Cummings
Force to establish facts about PM’s chief aide’s trip to north-east England during lockdown
The police and crime commissioner for Durham is to formally write to the chief constable of the force he oversees asking for an investigation into Dominic Cummings.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/25/durham-police-chief-calls-for-investigation-into-dominic-cummings

ADDED:

Dominic Cummings is expected to give a public statement and answer questions later today, the BBC’s political editor, Laura Kuenssberg, has reported.

The move comes as calls for him to resign and explain his actions mount.

ADDED:

The shadow home secretary, Nick Thomas-Symonds, has shared a letter he has sent to Priti Patel, asking a series of questions including whether guidance on travel restrictions had been updated for parents with coronavirus symptoms.

He asked:

If people are travelling in a car in the expectation that they may require childcare at some point, can you confirm that police will not be empowered to issue Fixed Penalty Notices to them?
Can you make public details of any communications between the Durham Constabulary and government officials and/or ministers since Thursday 21 May?
As you know, police officers have put themselves at extraordinary risk to keep people safe during this crisis, whilst also working with great skill to interpret and explain public health legislation.
The confusion and misinformation caused by the government’s response to these revelations appears to make this work even more difficult.
He’s not going to get any sense out of Fat Arse, he may as well have saved the ink. She doesn’t like people askin’ or enquirin’ about what her colleagues have been doin’. But I suppose it’s the thought that counts.

Last edited:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I wonder what Cummings is going to say. It can’t be a resignation if he’s taking questions. It’s too late to say sorry, and Johnson has commended his actions, so presumably they feel that there is nothing to apologise for. He can’t ask for a sympathetic ear after his arrogant statement of not caring what his actions look like. The children excuse has already backfired. There’s not a lot left. Not only has he burnt all of his bridges, he’s sent the construction material back and sacked all the workers.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I wonder what Cummings is going to say. It can’t be a resignation if he’s taking questions. It’s too late to say sorry, and Johnson has commended his actions, so presumably they feel that there is nothing to apologise for. He can’t ask for a sympathetic ear after his arrogant statement of not caring what his actions look like. The children excuse has already backfired. There’s not a lot left.
Very much down the thought path I had gone.

I cannot think of anything much that isn't "I am right and stuff you". (Or announcing a general election. :) )

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wonder what Cummings is going to say. It can’t be a resignation if he’s taking questions. It’s too late to say sorry, and Johnson has commended his actions, so presumably they feel that there is nothing to apologise for. He can’t ask for a sympathetic ear after his arrogant statement of not caring what his actions look like. The children excuse has already backfired. There’s not a lot left. Not only has he burnt all of his bridges, he’s sent the construction material back and sacked all the workers.
He'll just say the same again, if necessary over and over again until everyone gives up.

It's the method they use all time, they did with the Brexit agreement, kept presenting it until it was accepted out of exhaustion.

Advertisers