Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Strange story:

No 10 denies reports Boris Johnson went on secret Italy trip
Minister also rejects airport’s statement PM flew into Perugia in past fortnight
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/21/no-10-denies-reports-boris-johnson-went-on-secret-italy-trip

Exclusive: according to an official statement of the Italian airport dated September 17th, the British prime minister “travelled to Perugia over the past few days”. Sources: “Johnson landed in Perugia on Friday 11 September at 2 pm and left on Monday morning”. Downing Street: “This claim is wrong”

https://www.repubblica.it/esteri/2020/09/20/news/the_mystery_of_boris_johnson_s_trip_to_perugia_-267989244/

The Downing Street statement, “This claim is wrong”, is suspicious. The classic of a not quite 100% denial. For example, perhaps he arrived at 2:10 pm and left before 05:00 on Monday which really wasn't Monday morning but the end of Sunday.

An outright denial could, and probably should, have said; "The PM has not been out of the UK in the past two weeks so there is no basis for this story."

• Informative
  • :D
Reactions: Woosh and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
This lends plausibility to the story....

"According to another passenger on the flight back to the UK, Johnson was on his own, apparently without any luggage and very much the worse for wear."
I think that referred to his earlier trip...

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Nat West though have said they won't act unless they are forced to, and HSBC have remained silent.
Panorama might be worth watching tonight in relation to some of our large banks and Russian donations to the Tory party. I have read books, and numerous articles on line about this kind of thing but nothing ever seems to happen about it. I don't suppose this time will be any different but we live in hope.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: oyster and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Panorama might be worth watching tonight in relation to some of our large banks and Russian donations to the Tory party. I have read books, and numerous articles on line about this kind of thing but nothing ever seems to happen about it. I don't suppose this time will be any different but we live in hope.
Politically there are always two truths.

There's the truth presented to the citizenry and the actual truth.

The more complex our world gets, the more the two diverge.

Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Pay to play: Dido Harding says daily 'moonshot' tests which will (eventually) allow people to go to the theatre, hug family, attend conferences etc will not be available on the NHS She tells the CBI they will be 'cost of doing business'

No thank you !

• Informative

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Pay to play: Dido Harding says daily 'moonshot' tests which will (eventually) allow people to go to the theatre, hug family, attend conferences etc will not be available on the NHS She tells the CBI they will be 'cost of doing business'

No thank you !
If someone is unemployed, will they have to pay for a test in order to attend an interview? Or even to get a bus or train to travel to it? Precluded from entertainment, education, probably health services as well? Will we have an understorey of society, forbidden to contact the rest of us? Morlocks and Eloi (though who will eat whom)?

(Making no assumptions which side I shall be on!)

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

No thank you !
OG.. these very quick non amplified tests are cheap in reagents . I see them as being part of a right to travel . They take maybe 30 minutes from sample to printout, and cost under 10 quid. They are not perfect , but at about 95%, they make flights workable. If there was a 15 quid surcharge on the Ryanair ticket , it would allow air traffic to resume. Say you took the test as you checked in, then it was processed as you were wandering the duty free, wearing your mask, then the boarding process would have up to the minute information, and let you board, with some certainty that the craft is safe. ..

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
OG.. these very quick non amplified tests are cheap in reagents . I see them as being part of a right to travel . They take maybe 30 minutes from sample to printout, and cost under 10 quid. They are not perfect , but at about 95%, they make flights workable. If there was a 15 quid surcharge on the Ryanair ticket , it would allow air traffic to resume. Say you took the test as you checked in, then it was processed as you were wandering the duty free, wearing your mask, then the boarding process would have up to the minute information, and let you board, with some certainty that the craft is safe. ..
And on your daily bus journey into work for a minimum wage job? £15 a day? Or abandon bus passengers so that they can pick up Covid-19 on their bus journeys? After all, the rest of us drive SUVs.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It should have been sufficient to bring the government down!
It won't.
And it shows the Brexit voters were used for Russian purposes
But they are too dumb to care

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
And on your daily bus journey into work for a minimum wage job? £15 a day? Or abandon bus passengers so that they can pick up Covid-19 on their bus journeys? After all, the rest of us drive SUVs.
Of course not .. on buses and trains, at least the Windows open ,and 25% occupancy can be set up. But the airline industry are are now on their uppers . If the trip to Malaga was 70 quid, then the extra 10 is wearable..

• Agree
Reactions: Barry Shittpeas

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Presenting a U turn as a victory
In the Express today
"
EU caves: UK secures huge victory over London finances - Brussels give in after threat
BRUSSELS has granted permission to European banks to trade trillions of pounds through the City of London until 2022 amid fears of an acrimonious split with Britain.

So we have been granted a two year extension because the EU needs it and we would be strangled without it

• Informative

Advertisers