Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I’m not talking about the thousands of half-wits tweeting from their Mum’s spare bedroom. Accounts exist which can be traced back to the Chinese state. They are deliberately spreading harmful information (anti-vaccine, anti-mask and anti lockdown) in a structured, organised and calculated way. They are doing a great deal of damage and it’s costing lives.

The WHO are now in China, but it’s not been easy. China have been difficult, obstructive, non-compliant and secretive. They are not an asset to the planet.
Not an asset to the planet
We can't really hold that against anyone, now can we? :D

Now this is as good a description of the CRG as you could ask for
"( anti-mask and anti lockdown) in a structured, organised and calculated way. They are doing a great deal of damage and it’s costing lives.
And it's not as if Boris needs any pointers in how to do that. is it?

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Who is responsible for the oceans of misinformation, fake news and lies then.
Its pointless us all moaning about situation and then not actually criticising folk actually involved.
Its the one thing we all share some common ground on. The plethora of misinformation is staggering and it effects us all.
Why is it anti vaccine propoganda is at its highest? Who is responsible? Who is it trying to influence floating thinkers?
Its becoming evident there does seem an intellect behind it all, rubbish like I, ve pointed out before doesn't seem just random. (www.worlddoctorsalliance.com for example)
Russia has been at it for yonks - even pre covid...

As to why - I think Putin's still pissed at the West after old Soviet Empire collapsed and anything that causues trouble & disruption between Western populations and govts is a good thing advantage wise from their perspective. He's still under sanctions for his Ukraine land grab...

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Pretty much what many of us have been expecting. Thought the lawyer's words are interestingly circumspect.

‘He has an obligation to them’: Attorney for ‘QAnon shaman’ asks Trump to pardon rioters

Jacob Chansley, a 33-year-old man from Phoenix, was one of the most recognizable perpetrators of the Capitol siege.

Pressed by host Chris Cuomo on what exactly he would like Trump to do, Watkins replied: “Oh, give a pardon.”

As Chansley’s attorney, “my role is not to judge somebody. My role is to be an advocate,” Watkins said. “If there’s one iota of a chance that the guy who’s the president of our country — who invited everybody down Pennsylvania [Avenue] — will give my client a pardon, you know what? I’m going to do it.”

Watkins acknowledged, however, that his plea was unlikely to succeed. “Am I holding my breath thinking that Donald Trump is going to be sitting around going, ‘You know what? … What’s the name of that guy with the horns? Yeah … let’s give him a pardon.’”
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/15/attorney-qanon-shaman-trump-pardon-459608

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Brexit pigeons come home to roost with a fave of mine US Computer game...

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The outright number is part of problem. A few hundred correctly placed malevolent posts can proliferate through entire population of users. It's why it's so powerful.
you are wrong. the danger comes from those retweets by people with large following like DT.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Brexit pigeons come home to roost with a fave of mine US Computer game...

This was oh so predictable.. like even I predicted it. It takes a certain class of luxury giftware shop to invest in the infrastructure for personal VAT exemptions. I am sure there are counters in Fortum and Mason or Harrods with exactly the staff trained. Likewise there will be equivalents in Dior, or Cartier .But for the ordinary shops , its just not worth the bother.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
you are wrong. the danger comes from those retweets by people with large following like DT.
Who does the retweets is irrelevant. It's the lack of any policing and the number of people the "alternative facts" reach.
People look for what they think makes them feel safe. The Covid deniers wanted somebody to believe in. Social media gives the focus and the numbers.
The Internet in general just gives a place for it all to accumulate, gather followers and support. It's not just Trump, its a whole host of things.

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Who does the retweets is irrelevant.
FBs likes, followers and retweets are the reason why twitter and FB become echo chambers and monsters.
They don't even enforce their own rules.
There should be an OFCOM to keep the social media in the future within some protective boundaries.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The WHO are now in China, but it’s not been easy. China have been difficult, obstructive, non-compliant and secretive. They are not an asset to the planet.
their attitude has more to do with DT who continues calling Covid 'the China virus'. He may be right, he may be wrong, but China has to be careful in case Trump starts a world war using Covid as a pretext.

• Agree
Reactions: POLLY and oyster

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
their attitude has more to do with DT who continues calling Covid 'the China virus'. He may be right, he may be wrong, but China has to be careful in case Trump starts a world war using Covid as a pretext.
I don’t think Trump would start a conflict. The Dems might though. Probably more likely to do so than Trump, but not with China.

Reactions: POLLY

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
FBs likes, followers and retweets are the reason why twitter and FB become echo chambers and monsters.
They don't even enforce their own rules.
There should be an OFCOM to keep the social media in the future within some protective boundaries.
Yes, totally agreed.

• Agree

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
The UK’s vaccination effort seems to be a world class continuing success. The number of vaccinations carried out per day is rising quickly. This probably has more to do with our impressive armed forces, NHS and the volunteers than anything the government and their racketeering friends in the private sector have done. It is an exemplary achievement though.

I‘m slightly uneasy with the strategy of EVERYTHING relying on the vaccine and the idea that life will suddenly return to normal and we will never hear of Coronavirus again.

Vaccination has to work, we have nothing else.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Here it comes;

Rather than increasing income tax or VAT, the government should instead look at a tax on people with assets worth over £1 million , the Wealth Tax Commission said.

Why not increase income tax and VAT? Everyone then shares an even burden. Those who earn more pay more. The problem with the wealth envy tax is this; there will be people who have earned or made a lot of money and should be in a position to pay more, but they have spent it, so can’t. Those who have made a few sacrifices, invested and planned for their financial, health and long term future care will have that stolen.

Coronavirus has to be paid for somehow and that should be via higher taxes and a gradual shift to crippling tariffs on Chinese goods, with the long term objective of destroying their economy.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The UK’s vaccination effort seems to be a world class continuing success. The number of vaccinations carried out per day is rising quickly. This probably has more to do with our impressive armed forces, NHS and the volunteers than anything the government and their racketeering friends in the private sector have done. It is an exemplary achievement though.

I‘m slightly uneasy with the strategy of EVERYTHING relying on the vaccine and the idea that life will suddenly return to normal and we will never hear of Coronavirus again.

Vaccination has to work, we have nothing else.
The UK's vaccination is in fact a "World Class" Gamble that Joe Biden has wisely decided not to take

Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Here it comes;

Rather than increasing income tax or VAT, the government should instead look at a tax on people with assets worth over £1 million , the Wealth Tax Commission said.

Why not increase income tax and VAT? Everyone then shares an even burden. Those who earn more pay more. The problem with the wealth envy tax is this; there will be people who have earned or made a lot of money and should be in a position to pay more, but they have spent it, so can’t. Those who have made a few sacrifices, invested and planned for their financial, health and long term future care will have that stolen.

Coronavirus has to be paid for somehow and that should be via higher taxes and a gradual shift to crippling tariffs on Chinese goods, with the long term objective of destroying their economy.
Interesting idea, but it will of course also serve to upset our elite who have put their money into Chinese investments undermining our economy as they make a huge no risk profits there.
If you want to tax anything a huge amount of money could be clawed back by taxing any UK investments in China.
But that is a two edged sword, how many pension funds are involved?

Reactions: oyster

Advertisers