Brexit, for once some facts.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
I do know some earlier trials used very widely spaced jurors. This was done by putting a large area of the public gallery out of normal use and deploying that instead of the jury box.

There's also been some experimenting with juries all separated but linked by CCTV, but I've no idea how that worked out.
They should be telling us all this. I want to know how they are going to keep me safe from infection and who is the guarantor of my safety. I think that is a reasonable request in these circumstances. You can imagine how far I’ve got with that. I simply do not trust their competence to keep me safe.

I keep hearing everyone in government saying to behave as if we are infected with the virus. Well for starters, I wouldn’t sit in a room with eleven other people if I knew I had Coronavirus. The whole thing is a complete clusterfuck and I know I’m going to end up taking matters into my own hands and making a decision which keeps me and my family safe. I’ve be very careful, responsible and respectful of others so far, I don’t intend deviating from that.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Dido seems to have done very nicely out of Covid

"'Ten grand a day, every day, since the end of the Bronze Age. That's how much this government handed over to Dido Harding to deliver a Test & Trace system that doesn't work' Thanks to @Steve__Paxton for this nugget. Cronyism & incompetence is expensive - in money and lives

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
That first line fits me perfectly but my accumulating heart damage was being put down to the tachycardia attacks then. But if it's due to Covid it means that arrived here by early October 2019 and was the severe cold and later extreme tiredness I suffered then. The only times I've felt better since then was during the hotter period of late spring and the summer of 2020.

As for that second line, who knows. I've twice had quite bad colds with a very runny nose and headaches during 2020, unusual for me since I hardly ever get a cold.
I think that’s quite possible. I’m sure Coronavirus was around in early January 2020, so it could well have been here late 2019. We had a New Year’s Eve party at our house and eight out of twelve of us were ill. Unusually for me, it wiped me out for a week. My friend had a terrible cough that lasted until spring. Symptoms weren’t known then so I have no knowledge of losing taste or smell. I was so unwell, I don’t think I’d have noticed unless I was looking for those symptoms. I did have a cough which lasted ages.

• Informative
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Here we go again, don't you ever stop?
Just who are you accusing of planning to undermine the vaccine strategy?
And would that be the strategy that we adopted against the specific advice of pfizer?
Try this for size
The Guardian is trying to promote the idea of doing the vaccinations in the correct approved manner rather than gambling on peoples lives.
The people undermining the vaccination strategy are our politicians with their 12 weeks ( could be more) strategy
The government is a disgrace not the Guardian
I don’t know what to think anymore, so I’m giving your post an i.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
This is evidence of how trustworthy this government is
Firm founded by Tory donor providing substandard laptops for vulnerable children

"A school in Bradford which received 90 Geobook 1E laptops via the Computacenter booking system this week found they had been handed devices infected with a malware virus. A letter from the school’s deputy head states: “Upon unboxing and preparing them it was discovered that a number of the laptops are infected with a self-propagating network worm (Gamarue.I). The network worm looks like it contacts Russian servers when active.”
I did wonder how long it would take before a government crony got a contract to supply £250 laptops to vulnerable children at £1500 a pop. Not long is the answer.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I think that’s quite possible. I’m sure Coronavirus was around in early January 2020, so it could well have been here late 2019. We had a New Year’s Eve party at our house and eight out of twelve of us were ill. Unusually for me, it wiped me out for a week. My friend had a terrible cough that lasted until spring. Symptoms weren’t known then so I have no knowledge of losing taste or smell. I was so unwell, I don’t think I’d have noticed unless I was looking for those symptoms. I did have a cough which lasted ages.
That's about the time I nearly croaked myself...see I told you that curry you served us was off :)

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Lots of ways to get out of this Barry, you could tell the courts you've been in contact with some one who has covid so are self-isolating. You could also say your wife has a health problem so dare not take the risk involved in coming into close contact with others for a lengthy period, another one would be that you live or work with vulnerable people and are very worried about the risk.
I've got out of it twice by giving them a sob story and I got a neighbour off with serving by writing the court a letter and informing them she couldn't speak English...mind you she can't but they took it as gospel anyway.
They don't question it anyway, they just say sod you then and that's it. Don't concern yourself about it, you won't be going and that's it sorted I'm telling you.
Cheers Ross. I’m torn between a sense of obligation to do my duty having been called for Jury Service, and the consequences of putting my safety in the hands of bell-ends. They can’t even get the notification process correct. The letter says I must be at the court at 9:00 am, and gives a number to call if you have any questions. If I call the number, I get a robot woman telling me not to go to the court, but to stay at home and be available for them to call me! It’s impossible to speak to a human. It doesn’t fill me with confidence.

I can see this heading for a massive row and me giving someone an honest opinion ;););)

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
When I was called up at one time I had a dodgy back so I sent them a letter explaining it would give me gyp to sit for ages in one position, that was genuine I really didn't fancy staying still for any amount of time.
The courts didn't ask for proof of my condition although I could have got a note from my doctor if need be.
It's a pity you can't just say guilty by proxy and not have to go near the place, It's probably someone's up for a minor discretion like murder or some such crime, hang em and home quick for tea sorted.

Reactions: Zlatan

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
When I was called up at one time I had a dodgy back so I sent them a letter explaining it would give me gyp to sit for ages in one position, that was genuine I really didn't fancy staying still for any amount of time.
The courts didn't ask for proof of my condition although I could have got a note from my doctor if need be.
It's a pity you can't just say guilty by proxy and not have to go near the place, It's probably someone's up for a minor discretion like murder or some such crime, hang em and home quick for tea sorted.
Exactly Ross, they’re all guilty as sin, no smoke without fire, as they say. :D

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Dido seems to have done very nicely out of Covid

"'Ten grand a day, every day, since the end of the Bronze Age. That's how much this government handed over to Dido Harding to deliver a Test & Trace system that doesn't work' Thanks to @Steve__Paxton for this nugget. Cronyism & incompetence is expensive - in money and lives
Last time I heard her voice, she made it sound as if it was a job she could not refuse. In the sense that if you are asked, there is some sort of duty to accept, if possible. Not that the remuneration is so huge...

That is around 3,500 universal credit extra £20 payments per week. Or how many free school meals or equivalent!!!

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Cheers Ross. I’m torn between a sense of obligation to do my duty having been called for Jury Service, and the consequences of putting my safety in the hands of bell-ends. They can’t even get the notification process correct. The letter says I must be at the court at 9:00 am, and gives a number to call if you have any questions. If I call the number, I get a robot woman telling me not to go to the court, but to stay at home and be available for them to call me! It’s impossible to speak to a human. It doesn’t fill me with confidence.

I can see this heading for a massive row and me giving someone an honest opinion ;););)
Far be it from me to give advice .... But very simply write a letter to the Court acknowledging that you have received a summons, but that unless you are given written assurance that your health needs will be met, you cannot attend . This therefore shows willing on your part. What is probably the actual situation is that the standard computer roster automatically generated the lists , and the court cases will nit be going ahead on that schedule.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
A dangerous employer
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/23/minister-faces-fury-over-mass-covid-outbreak-at-top-government-agency

Minister under fire for ‘shameful’ virus spread as staff told to work on with more than 500 cases at agency in Swansea
Public Health Wales are not impressed - but they should have been involved earlier:

A coronavirus outbreak has been declared at the UK vehicle licensing agency's contact centre in Swansea.
Public Health Wales says there have been 352 cases of Covid-19 at the DVLA centre at Swansea Vale in Llansamlet since September.
Sixty-two cases have been identified at the call centre since the beginning of December.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55403316

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's a pity you can't just say guilty by proxy and not have to go near the place, It's probably someone's up for a minor discretion like murder or some such crime
Exactly Ross, they’re all guilty as sin, no smoke without fire, as they say. :D
Perhaps just as well you and your likes are unwilling jurors.

Otherwise Rishi Sunak would be having to chuck more billions into prison building. :(

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Quite a number of years ago, there was probably the largest ever exhibition of MC Escher works - in Rotterdam. Only time I ever flew over for a weekend.

Very, very impressive.

With brexit and Covid-19, seems like an impossible dream. Oh yes - Honda are shutting up shop so at least that Impossible Dream is also a memory.

Reactions: flecc

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Quite a number of years ago, there was probably the largest ever exhibition of MC Escher works - in Rotterdam. Only time I ever flew over for a weekend.

Very, very impressive.

With brexit and Covid-19, seems like an impossible dream. Oh yes - Honda are shutting up shop so at least that Impossible Dream is also a memory.
The best Esher exhibition I have seen was in Gateshead in the '70s. A huge collection, set up wall panels arranged to make hexagon 'rooms'. There was a single wide angle mirror mounted on the ceiling , so a single security guard could monitor the whole exhibition. Or so the visitors could see this huge set of Esher's all collected onto a single distorted image.

(A southerner born and bred, living in the north east in the '70s certainly opened my eyes to quite a few things beyond Esher.)

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The best Esher exhibition I have seen was in Gateshead in the '70s. A huge collection, set up wall panels arranged to make hexagon 'rooms'. There was a single wide angle mirror mounted on the ceiling , so a single security guard could monitor the whole exhibition. Or so the visitors could see this huge set of Esher's all collected onto a single distorted image.

(A southerner born and bred, living in the north east in the '70s certainly opened my eyes to quite a few things beyond Esher.)
My next favourite is in Copenhagen at the middle of this map by the Icelandic Museum

I can't find a better reference; not even highlit on that map, the dodecahedral dome with internal mirrors including on the floor, mind-blowing (no drugs or VR needed)

A bit better reference

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Public Health Wales are not impressed - but they should have been involved earlier:

A coronavirus outbreak has been declared at the UK vehicle licensing agency's contact centre in Swansea.
Public Health Wales says there have been 352 cases of Covid-19 at the DVLA centre at Swansea Vale in Llansamlet since September.
Sixty-two cases have been identified at the call centre since the beginning of December.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55403316
DVLA is it...yeah I've got their number ;)

Advertisers