Brexit, for once some facts.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Labour also needs to look closely at it’s front of house team. It’s better now than it was under Corbyn, but there is still a way to go.

I’m not talking about what the Daily Mail publishes either. I prefer to hear them interviewed and speak for themselves. David Lammy presenting on LBC last week JHC!!!
In aftermath of election it was decided (by Labour, quoted in Guardian) that Corbyn was main reason they lost. Along with their hastily decided free"beer"policy.
Starmer is a step in right direction. Totally agree with Woosh about income tax tho.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I’m all for less / no tax for the low paid to encourage people into work and making going to work worthwhile.
Why?

We don't need to work anything like as much as we do, something pointed out by Harold Wilson very long ago and the others side's Harold, Macmiillan, was in agreement. That is even more true today.

Mechanisation, robotics and computerisation can do most of what people are doing or pretending to do at work. This forum alone shows how fake so many jobs are, loads of posts during working hours Monday to Friday but often dead in the evenings and weekends.

The only reason we are still nose to the grindstone eight hours a day, five days a week or more until we are almost 70 is that politicians are terrified by the prospect of a populace having little to do so able to make trouble for them as a hobby.

The way we all live needs a radical rethink into a totally different structure that sees us all working for only a fraction of our lives and getting used to much more liberty and how to gainfully use it from an early age. The only thing that needs to be worked out is how that portion of work is incorporated into life. Such as a batch of working years at a certain age band, akin to national service. Or a small portion of work each week or month thoughout life. Or some other formula.

Add all this to a lifelong living salary for everyone and life could be universally much better.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Why?

We don't need to work anything like as much as we do, something pointed out by Harold Wilson very long ago and the others side's Harold, Macmiillan, was in agreement. That is even more true today.

Mechanisation, robotics and computerisation can do most of what people are doing or pretending to do at work. This forum alone shows how fake so many jobs are, loads of posts during working hours Monday to Friday but often dead in the evenings and weekends.

The only reason we are still nose to the grindstone eight hours a day, five days a week or more until we are almost 70 is that politicians are terrified by the prospect of a populace having little to do so able to make trouble for them as a hobby.

The way we all live needs a radical rethink into a totally different structure that sees us all working for only a fraction of our lives and getting used to much more liberty and how to gainfully use it from an early age. The only thing that needs to be worked out is how that portion of work is incorporated into life. Such as a batch of working years at a certain age band, akin to national service. Or a small portion of work each week or month thoughout life. Or some other formula.

Add all this to a lifelong living salary for everyone and life could be universally much better.
Sort of agree, but getting there is another story.
Needs a complete change in attitude.
Was once on a skiing holiday in France, got to know a bloke from NZ. End of holiday we are all sat on bus waiting to leave, he jumped up said he was staying. Raced off bus, got his stuff and told driver don't wait. He was a bank manager at home. Got in touch with him he said he phoned work, told them he was having another month off, stayed in resort a further 3 weeks.. I had to retire to get that freedom. There is room to change. Perhaps a labour policy next election.??

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
are you saying pensioners making troubles for a tory government?
They have the Daily Mail crosswords to keep them busy.

Reactions: oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
are you saying pensioners making troubles for a tory government?
They have the Daily Mail crosswords to keep them busy.
That's an odd reading of my post. It was about changing working life, not pensioners?

Under my proposals there would be no pensioners or working people. We'd all be citizens with a continuous living income thoughout life.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
That is precisely why there is no alternative to the Conservative Party. People like you, with your disgusting attitude, are driving people who should be voting Labour into the arms of the Conservatives.
Are you so simple minded that my attitude drives you to vote for criminally negligent and inefficient half witted morons?

Sorry but it isn't me that has a disgusting attitude
I don't vote for parasites and criminals
You should be ashamed of yourself for doing so and making yourself an accomplice to crimes against the people.

And let's face it, you did it because of being too greedy to share with others, in case you had to pay more tax

Save your attitude for anyone dim enough to subscribe to it.

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Course they do:

Un, Deux, Trois, Quatre, Cinq, Six, Sept, Huit, Neuf, Dix, Onze, Douze, Treize, Quatorze, Quinze, Seize, Dix-sept etc.
Three cats went skating on thin ice;Un, Deus, Trois, Cats, Sank.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Under my proposals there would be no pensioners or working people. We'd all be citizens with a continuous living income thoughout life.
I can't see the UK coming anywhere near that vision.
Firstly, half the population currently needs help just to make ends meet.
Most don't even save enough for their retirement leave alone supporting their children through higher education.
Secondly, everyone needs an excellent level of education, to be physically and mentally strong and to have their lifespan limited to enjoy solely working for life enhancement.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Really, so a good fit with the public includes negligence leading to mass deaths and wasting huge sums amounting to billions on pals from the public purse?
You are being silly again
The public would get a better deal from the real Mafia
At least they represent organised crime
The proof is the fact that the Conservatives are in Power, and Labour isn’t. Labour is the most unpopular it’s been for over 50 years.

Reactions: Zlatan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'd long got use to everyone shopping solo in supermarkets as requested during Covid precautions with mothers making other arrangements for looking after their kids while they shopped.

But yesterday when I went for my shop the supermarket was alive with loads of kids with mothers or playing around together. Obviously with the kids having been back at school, all the talk of lockdown easement and the Easter holidays, all those mothers have assumed the restrictions are now over.

That doesn't bode well for containing the disease from now on.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
First with Moderna!

Welsh patients to be first in UK to receive Moderna Covid vaccine
Nation’s mass rollout begins on Wednesday, while Scotland will administer first doses later this week
Patients in Wales will from Wednesday become the first in the UK to receive the Moderna vaccine as part of a mass vaccination programme, with the first doses in Scotland set to come later this week.

The initial jabs would be given at the West Wales general hospital in Carmarthen, the Welsh government said.

It added that 5,000 doses of the Moderna vaccine – the third to be approved for use in the UK – had been sent to centres in the Hywel Dda University Health Board area, covering Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire, on Tuesday.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/07/patients-in-wales-to-receive-moderna-covid-vaccine

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can't see the UK coming anywhere near that vision.
Firstly, half the population currently needs help just to make ends meet.
Most don't even save enough for their retirement leave alone supporting their children through higher education.
Secondly, everyone needs an excellent level of education, to be physically and mentally strong and to have their lifespan limited to enjoy solely working for life enhancement.
You aren't grasping the concept, I see Danidl did immediately.

There wouldn't be any one needing financial help with a standard living income.

Nobody would ever need to save anything for retirement with their standard living income lasting for whole life, as rich in retirement as always. But how they spend their standard income is free choice so one could save more for the end of life or choose not to.

And the education like work wouldn't have to be in one chunk at the outset, it could be distributed, as we already do to some extent with adult education and the Open University.

With the potential benefits of the modern world we just don't need to be working most of our lives as at present, we only need a fraction of that time spent in work.

Just look at the gains. Most of the discoveries and inventions have been by the privileged, not just because they were more clever but simply because they had the freedom and spare time. If all of society had those we could be in an age of unprecedented discovery and invention, making all of our lives infinitely richer while solving problems more quickly.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It's always nice when people modify their stance and realise just how silly they are behaving. I, ll congratulate you when you manage it.. Keep trying OG.

And, by the way. Labour tried the free beer at last election.
Free care for elderly, free rail, no tuition fees and massive payments for Waspis,so the stupid could spend on beer. It didn't work.
The stupid electorate didn't want to be bribed.
You should be running Labour, hang on a minute, you probably are. Bet Boris gives thanks every single day.
I do wonder if 1922 comittee has infiltrated Unite.. Doing a fantastic job. Keeping Labour out of contention, well almost existence
Demonstrating my point that voters are stupid, that they gave up such progress to vote for this shower
The stupid electorate didn't want to be bribed. you say?
But they were look at the promises made for the fishermen, full employment , sunny uplands, no change to trade with the EU, cheaper food, trade deals better than the ones we had with the EU
What does it take to penetrate your head that the Conservatives have just as many loony factions as Labour do, corrupt with foreign money and dodgy regimes they sell weapons too.
And they have made a far better job of trashing the economy than any labour government ever has
They are turning this country into a banana republic with the international reputation for honesty, integrity and fair dealing of a run down brothel for out of work ugly streetwalkers.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
In aftermath of election it was decided (by Labour, quoted in Guardian) that Corbyn was main reason they lost. Along with their hastily decided free"beer"policy.
Starmer is a step in right direction. Totally agree with Woosh about income tax tho.
When someone has been as thoroughly abuses by the media as Corbyn and most of the Labour MP's belong to the "Friends of Israel" and accept large donations from them.
They were hardly likely not to blame Corbyn, where they? it would cut off their nice little earner

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
When someone has been as thoroughly abuses by the media as Corbyn and most of the Labour MP's belong to the "Friends of Israel" and accept large donations from them.
They were hardly likely not to blame Corbyn, where they? it would cut off their nice little earner
And for some odd reason you seem to think calling the electorate stupid is going to help?
All you are doing is polarising opinion and unfortunately for you, JA and Labour setting people against the very principles, policies and people you value.
I kerp telling you, it's exactly why Labour are in such a mess.. Tell people they are stupid then expect them to agree with ideas you put forward. That is the epitome of stupid and shows zero understanding of the most basic of human behaviours. You are simply reinforcing the negative aspects of labour you try to deny.
Its like OGS phoning Haaland up, tell him he, s stupid, knows nothing about football but will you play for us. He, d do what labour voters have done. Tell him to feck off and sign for somebody else.
Bet you were a nightmare to work with. Insult all your colleagues, tell them they are stupid and know nowt about "toilets" but by the way will you work over time.
Doesn't work like that OG.
No politician is ever going to gain votes or support by telling electorate they need to change or that they need "educating" or "they need to take our medicine" and then expect support.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Media for a long while has been pro labour. Watch BBC, read Guardian. Usual culprits promote Tories but only you read Daily Mail to quote on here.. You advertise Tories more than anyone else.. And push people to them with your offensive attitude

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
There wouldn't be any one needing financial help with a standard living income.
How are we going to pay everyone a universal income? Who is going to pay the taxes?
This country can't even function without 10 million immigrants and my street (Queens Road) is still full of holes waiting to be filled.

Advertisers