Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Perhaps his attitude was due to dementia?
This lovely quote rather suggests that

"“I declare this thing open, whatever it is.” (on a visit to Canada in 1969)
No, he remained far too sharp in his quick responses to be suffering from dementia. Caustic quotes have a long history when opening buildings and it would appeal to Philips abrasive humour:

When famous conductor Sir Thomas Beecham was asked to open the Brighton Dome which was to be used for classical concerts but which he had a very low opinion of, his speech was:

"Congratulations on your new building, I hope you find a use for it."

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
ITV is also scheduling lots of related programming.

Pretty bad when you have to start thinking "Thank goodness for Dave"...
Just decided to listen to the radio for a few minutes....

BBC radios 1, 1 extra, 2, 3, 4, 4 extra, 5, 5 extra, Asian, 6, World Service, Wales – and others – are wall-to-wall HRH. Many exactly the same broadcast.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

BBC radios 1, 1 extra, 2, 3, 4, 4 extra, 5, 5 extra, Asian, 6, World Service, Wales – and others – are wall-to-wall HRH. Many exactly the same broadcast.
The whole country should pay £158.57 when they pay their next TV licence, the 43 pence short of the £159 being for this day of TV and radio broadcasting they've cheated us out of.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The whole country should pay £158.57 when they pay their next TV licence, the 43 pence short of the £159 being for this day of TV and radio broadcasting they've cheated us out of.
I suppose it is marginally better than martial music, non-stop, on all channels with a requirement that you listen to it for every waking hour.

Reactions: oldgroaner

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

Look, I don't get this Royalty gig thing, but it is UK psyche, and he has been around a hell of a long time. Just wallow in it and remember .. "this too will pass "

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Look, I don't get this Royalty gig thing, but it is UK psyche, and he has been around a hell of a long time. Just wallow in it and remember .. "this too will pass "
Not so, half the country don't support royalty when polled, it's bit like the Brexit split, about 50/50.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I suppose it is marginally better than martial music, non-stop, on all channels with a requirement that you listen to it for every waking hour.
It's getting worse, ITV now until 10 pm and Channel 4 until 8.30 pm.

Meanwhile all broadcasting on BBC 4 has been suspended.

We don't have any UK broadcasting service today.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Not so, half the country don't support royalty when polled, it's bit like the Brexit split, about 50/50.
The failure of the monarchy regarding things like proroguing of parliament has shown that, even if you in some ways support them, they do not protect the country.

I have said not one word against wall-to-wall HRH on, for example, one radio and one television channel. Extend that, one of each for BBC and do what they like on the commercial channels. That is understandable because, whatever else, it does represent a significant national event.

But this is saying we are not allowed to enjoy anything - not music, not drama, not documentary, not even news - that is not pure HRH.

I'm trying to imagine being in hospital, feeling awful, and having just this to help relieve my suffering and deflect from whatever is happening to me. (I'm not - I'm at home feeling pretty OK.)

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It's getting worse, ITV now until 10 pm and Channel 4 until 8.30 pm.

Meanwhile all broadcasting on BBC 4 has been suspended.

We don't have any UK broadcasting service today.
149,968 Covid-19 deaths - and even during national emergency announcements, there was not the same blanket coverage.

Think I might need to order some DVDs (or sign-up to some subscription channels - will they still work?) in case the widow queen dies.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But this is saying we are not allowed to enjoy anything - not music, not drama, not documentary, not even news - that is not pure HRH.
Agreed, it's nothing less than bullying,

Fortunately in the digital age there's plenty more channels and I have Freeview Play to watch previous missed programming and the i-player for previous unheard radio programs, plus over 40 TV programs recorded to hard drive that I've yet to watch.

So all our broadcasters can get stuffed for today, I hope their loss of advertising revenue hurts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
149,968 Covid-19 deaths - and even during national emergency announcements, there was not the same blanket coverage.
Are you sure of that number, it seems to have leapt.

This is that Google gives for that number, chemistry, not Covid deaths:

LINK

The true number of British Covid deaths was 127,040 at 4pm today.

Last edited:

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland

Think I might need to order some DVDs (or sign-up to some subscription chhen old Betty pegs it.annels - will they still work?) in case the widow queen dies.
It'll be a lot worse when old Betty pegs it.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Are you sure of that number, it seems to have leapt.

This is that Google gives for that number, chemistry, not Covid deaths:

LINK

The true number of British Covid deaths was 127,040 at 4pm today.
I just grabbed an official figure:

Deaths with COVID-19 on the death certificate
Weekly
799 — Abstract information: Weekly number of deaths where COVID-19 is mentioned as a cause on the death certificate, registered during the week ending Friday, 26 March 2021.

Total
https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

Advertisers