Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Good luck, no electricity for days in winter must be grim - curiously the pandemic has gone with an enormous oddly satisfying back to basics in my reality - dragging a few logs home after runs in evening, cutting them up, feeding a wood burning stove. It's become oddly satisfying, affirming.
I wish no-one (other than Downing Street) cut off at all, let alone as long as some affected by Arwen.

If you live in an isolated farmhouse on a hillside, with miles of catenary electricity wire, I guess it is up to you to prepare by getting a gennie, etc. But when "ordinary" areas get affected, it is much tougher. You really can't expect everyone on a street to have, and to run, gennies.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I have said before that using two (or more!) different vaccines makes sense to my little brain. Was glad to have had two AstraZeneca followed by Pfizer. (Though maybe one of the two headlined would have been even better?) Certainly questions the wisdom of having a third dose of the same as the first two.

Moderna or Novavax after AstraZeneca jab confers high Covid immunity, study finds
Finding is good news for lower-income countries that have not yet completed their primary vaccination campaigns

Reactions: Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Lazy stereotype. Look at operation barkhane in North Africa. The French would kick our fat flabby inept xenophobic arses in battle in no time. The foreign legion did much better in Vietnam, relatively speaking, than the Americans that arrived after and dropped more ordinance than all in ww2 and lost.
Only thing is they caused Vietnam in first place. Just left US to try and sort it after their failed Colonial efforts. (ie Walking into vacuum when Japanese left/were ousted)
JC must have missed Gary Cooper in French Foreign legion.. Besides he was being JC... Flippent.. You take things very literally... Like your sycophant rant at me. Its a touch pedantic matey.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Good luck, no electricity for days in winter must be grim - curiously the pandemic has gone with an enormous oddly satisfying back to basics in my reality - dragging a few logs home after runs in evening, cutting them up, feeding a wood burning stove. It's become oddly satisfying, affirming.
Yep, feeding wood burners takes some effort... All that lovely smoke tho.. Great.
We had a 38kw wood burner in France, heated all street, let alone our house... Amount if wood it got through was ridiculous... A stere in 2 weeks easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Only thing is they caused Vietnam in first place. Just left US to try and sort it after their failed Colonial efforts. (ie Walking into vacuum when Japanese left/were ousted)
JC must have missed Gary Cooper in French Foreign legion.. Besides he was being JC... Flippent.. You take things very literally... Like your sycophant rant at me. Its a touch pedantic matey.
I believe you'll find flippant is with an "a" (as in anus)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Whether the law was broken or not, staging a party at that moment in time demonstrated an appalling lack of leadership. Leadership is a commodity that is essential right now. They‘re all behaving like children. It’s pathetic. They’re pathetic.
When it's a choice between no leadership and being led by Johnson, no leadership wins every time.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
France are the world champions at running away. They’d have “stood up” said no if the conflict was taking place on the streets of Paris.:D
Really, they must have been having an off period under Napoleon, when they took a hell of lot of beating by just about every other nation allied against them, and at the the battles of the Marne and Verdun in WW1

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
France are the world champions at running away.
No they aren't, they bravely stand their ground waving a white flag.

It's the Italians like my relatives who have the good sense to run away and refuse to fight. Their military skills were well portrayed in the TV program "Allo, Allo" by character Captain Alberto Bertorelli and his scruffy indisciplined squad.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
No they aren't, they bravely stand their ground waving a white flag.

It's the Italians like my relatives who have the good sense to run away and refuse to fight. Their military skills were well portrayed in the TV program "Allo, Allo" by character Captain Alberto Bertorelli and his scruffy indisciplined squad.
Conflicts are pointless anyway, they rarely change anything for the better. Maybe keeping your nose out is the intelligent course of act.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Conflicts are pointless anyway, they rarely change anything for the better. Maybe keeping your nose out is the intelligent course of act.
Absolutely.

Running any country is an utterly thankless task since it's impossible to please more than a minority with any decision taken.

Faced with someone wanting to invade to do it, one should be delighted, rollout the red carpet, hand them the key to the office and offer them a cup of tea.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you should do a fact check on your version of events.
the Geneva 1954 Conference formed the basis of settlements in French Indochina.
The South Vietnam government were since totally under American control because France did not have the money to compete with the USA for influence in its former colonies.
The USA saw Vietnam as strategically important, not only because it was rumoured to have large oil deposits off its coasts but also because it borders China.
The partition of Vietnam along the 17th parallel into North and South was meant to be temporary, initially for 6 months to maximum 2 years.
Successive US presidents, Eisenhower, JFK, JBL and Richard Nixon continued to stop any effort of re-unification between North and South, thus the USA caused the war.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
As a person having received 3 x COVID vaccines, I’ve had a letter from Imperial College London/ NHS, asking if I would be willing to take part in a health study.

That sounds fine, but when you learn that the study is for the next 20 years, you can’t help but wonder why.

Is this to understand the long-term effects of the fully developed, no corners cut, cast iron guaranteed to be safe vaccine?

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and guerney

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As a person having received 3 x COVID vaccines, I’ve had a letter from Imperial College London/ NHS, asking if I would be willing to take part in a health study.

That sounds fine, but when you learn that the study is for the next 20 years, you can’t help but wonder why.

Is this to understand the long-term effects of the fully developed, no corners cut, cast iron guaranteed to be safe vaccine?
In a sense yes. It's to study the way in which the vaccines will slowly kill us prematurely over time.

( The next time you see this reply it will be on the conspiracy theorists websites! ;) )

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: Jesus H Christ

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Got up to a horrible day. And it gets worse, continuing bad until tomorrow night. Definitely feels worse than did Arwen, for us.

They are in the process of replacing the moderately high voltage electricity supply to our area. Have installed new cables and soon to install new transformer. But it was only as they did that, I realised the supply is on poles. :-(

(This side of the transformer is entirely underground.)
Ah... Wales. Land of horizontal rain... the only place I've ever been which filled just one of my eardrums with water.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Nah,guv, it's cos the batteries in them nanny bots wot Bill Gates put in the vaccines 'll only last ten an a bit years!;)
I regularly have to check links - and one of them, just the other day, did say that some vaccines he had tested with a scanner device proved to have trackers in them.

It would be amazing if the technology had got to that point. But it certainly hasn't.

Of course, the link was unacceptable.

Advertisers