Brexit, for once some facts.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What to opine on Mater and Pater, forsooth?
Father and I got off to good start he came back from an overseas posting just after I had learned to speak, with what turned out be a lifelong gift for diplomacy (this is as recounted later by my sister who is 14 years older than I)
I heard the front door, so wandered in the hall and there was my sister kissing this strange old man.
I ran back to shouting shouting that my sister was being attacked by a strange old man in uniform.
In marched father with my sister on his arm, when he finished kissing mother he looked over at me a strange expression on his face and said
"You always wanted a lad, he's all yours!"
For most of my early years he never used my name, it was always either "Now lad" or "Mother the lad needs a wash!" sort of address.
He was a very good father, if strict, and never smacked me, Mother had that function covered more enough already, and his logic always impressed me.
For instance
"I don't really mind you drowning yourself in the drains, fishing for newts, I did that too, but it upsets your Mother, and then she gives both of us hell!"
Very motivational, and when I was 40 years and I proudly showed a Patent in my name, he actually said "Well done Tony"
I was shocked, and asked him to repeat it, and of course he gave me that look and asked "why?"
"Father that's the first time you have ever congratulated on anything!"
He thought about this for a moment.
"Well I always thought that sooner or later you would do something worth congratulating you about." and went back to his newspaper.
I still miss him!
Was it the invention itself which impressed your Father? What did you invent OG? Have you painted anything new? I did a lot of scribbling with pencils many years ago, but I do wish I could paint.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

:p

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There are low release types of Aspirin , which will not cause the same stomach irritation..I am required to take it daily to help thin the blood.
How is your experiment progressing? Have you successfully evaded Omicron?

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Which brings to mind gove
Who could well become our next glorious leader. **** me, it's a proud moment to be british
looks like operation 'red meat' is in full swing.
They are all out attacking Starmer. Pop corn time.
Rename it Operation Dead Meat to express contempt of it.
Or Operation Mincemeat where they took a dead person and used it to fool people.

And the whips stationed near Brady’s office so they observe who delivers envelopes.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Rename it Operation Dead Meat to express contempt of it.
Or Operation Mincemeat where they took a dead person and used it to fool people.

And the whips stationed near Brady’s office so they observe who delivers envelopes.
What a strange parody it all is. Nadir Zahawi, an iraqi kurd who fled to the UK telling everyone how chuffed he is the military is taking executive control of migrant channel crossings (what could possibly go wrong?). It's less ironic than Patel wanting to send political refugees to ghana

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
What a strange parody it all is. Nadir Zahawi, an iraqi kurd who fled to the UK telling everyone how chuffed he is the military is taking executive control of migrant channel crossings (what could possibly go wrong?). It's less ironic than Patel wanting to send political refugees to ghana
And all of them ignoring:

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
And all of them ignoring:

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe
Yes, in dealing with a visibly entitled smug self serving far right government and the publics' dismay at being confronted with that, what shall we do the conservative party asked itself? Lurch further to the right to appease the lunatic fringe on the backbench is the answer. Somehow I always imagined spad's were keen strategists. Clearly they're not.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Trust them? You must be joking.

UK Government Readies Anti-Encryption Publicity Campaign to 'Keep Children Safe' Online
Monday January 17, 2022 4:26 am PST by Tim Hardwick
The British Government is reportedly preparing a publicity attack on end-to-end encryption in an effort to mobilize public opinion against the technology by framing it as a child safety issue, with its main aim being to derail Facebook's plan to end-to-end encrypt its Messenger platform.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Trust them? You must be joking.

UK Government Readies Anti-Encryption Publicity Campaign to 'Keep Children Safe' Online
Monday January 17, 2022 4:26 am PST by Tim Hardwick
The British Government is reportedly preparing a publicity attack on end-to-end encryption in an effort to mobilize public opinion against the technology by framing it as a child safety issue, with its main aim being to derail Facebook's plan to end-to-end encrypt its Messenger platform.
Can you translate this post into English please Oyster?
Cheers.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Can you translate this post into English please Oyster?
Cheers.
End to end encryption means sending data/messages in an encrypted form such that no-one in the middle can access them.

The government don't like it because it is a problem even for police and GCHQ.

Thus, any child exploitation messages can't be identified and acted on. Indeed, even proof of the existence of messages, images, etc., in a trial might be impossible.

But the politicians have been more than happy to exploit end to end encryption for Whatsapp and Signal messages which they use all the time.

It is a sauce for goose but not gander situation.

Of course, they are raising the safety of children because it is so emotive, but don't imagine it won't apply very much more widely. Yet they will continue to be able to arrange BYOB parties safe from oversight.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
"Idiocracy" is a much better movie than that clip suggests. Well worth a watch! Legalisation of weed has made matters worse IMHO, no offence meant SW.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
End to end encryption means sending data/messages in an encrypted form such that no-one in the middle can access them.

The government don't like it because it is a problem even for police and GCHQ.

Thus, any child exploitation messages can't be identified and acted on. Indeed, even proof of the existence of messages, images, etc., in a trial might be impossible.

But the politicians have been more than happy to exploit end to end encryption for Whatsapp and Signal messages which they use all the time.

It is a sauce for goose but not gander situation.

Of course, they are raising the safety of children because it is so emotive, but don't imagine it won't apply very much more widely. Yet they will continue to be able to arrange BYOB parties safe from oversight.
that's other than the fact that the Tories presided over the worst de facto cuts in social services (and cases of child abuse) in generations, but suddenly found their moral compass after their brat in nr 10 attracted attention to the core conservative value of hypocrisy and needed a distraction

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have been watching the debate Nadine Dorries vs Lucy Powell. Both were quite good performers but I like Lucy Powell better.
Dorries does a pretty good job at hinting at the future of the BBC being broken up, a small core of public broadcasting will be publicly funded, the consequence of this policy is millions of us will move to other commercial channels.
Her excuse is the 5 people who were jailed for not paying the TV license.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Even HoL is appearing less than impressed:

Lords standards commissioner launches inquiry into Michelle Mone
Investigation into Tory peer relates to PPE company awarded £203m in government contracts via ‘VIP lane’

Mind, a few more donors given ermine would sort that out...

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
It seems like Conservative MPs don’t like what they are seeing and hearing on BBC news, so they are plotting to get rid. Rupert Murdoch will be creaming his jeans.
The argument between BBC and Tories just runs and runs. Suspect media and specifically BBC have assumed role to question and challenge Government in absence of you know who doing it.
I must be niave or something I thought (or think it should be) mass media's job is to simply report the news. Really think anything they tell us, should come with a reference and source. Oddly though, one week BBC, perhaps inadvertently, are helping Boris (pushing his Booster programme, exaggerating severity of Omicron) and next week telling us all Boris should resign.
I, ve been appalled at general media coverage throughout pandemic. I suspect they have( along with Government) promoted all the anti vaxx/dis trust sentiments.
BBC are now no better than likes of Mail, Express, Guardian etc etc.. Equally as biased, probably more so. Utterly shocking.
And the whole woke thing is totally out of hand. Watch adverts now. Everyone of them... Mixed race families, fat, gay or some ethnic minority. Ordinary folk have disappeared.

• Disagree
Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have been watching the debate Nadine Dorries vs Lucy Powell. Both were quite good performers but I like Lucy Powell better.
Dorries does a pretty good job at hinting at the future of the BBC being broken up, a small core of public broadcasting will be publicly funded, the consequence of this policy is millions of us will move to other commercial channels.
Her excuse is the 5 people who were jailed for not paying the TV license.
I don't own a TV, I've not watched live TV, I don't use iPlayer or any of the other catch-up services from other channels for over a decade, and I've told them... yet I still receive harassmernt letters addressed to "The Occupier", which end up in the bin. Expecting getting shot by a SWAT team any day now :eek: They'll never take me alive! :mad:

Reactions: Zlatan

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Informative
Reactions: guerney

Advertisers