Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It's called balance, both sides of the story. The price of that fairness is that it doesn't suit anyone with a bias, which is most people.

Strongly disagree, see above.

Here in London at least, they are the ordinary people, barely over 40% are white British born and even they are often of recent foreign descent, like me. The advertisers know their business and aim the ads very accurately, constantly measuring the returns.

If you want to see what the government's proposed public broadcasting service will be like, just look at the US version here in the PBS schedule

It makes what the BBC do look excellent by any standards.
Flec .. I have always regarded the BBC as an excellent station . Maybe the UK cannot really afford 4 BBC's . I also watch French and occasionally Italian TV..via satellite. And the BBC performs extremely well. Currently working my way through the Inspector George Gently TV dramas set in the North bEast in the1960s..and they are frankly excellent, in terms if writing, atmosphere, accuracy in clothes, mores, and architecture and excellent acting . The BBC do historical drama superbly. The French are stuck in a pre revolutionary Molière mindset on the premier channel, and the Italians are stuck in a glitzy gameshow hell. Having said that the French transmission quality is if anything superior.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Inspector George Gently TV dramas set in the North bEast in the1960s..and they are frankly excellent, in terms if writing, atmosphere, accuracy in clothes, mores, and architecture and excellent acting .
But Martin Shaw's accent(s) are a riot!

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Glad to hear it! I feared the worst, when you went quiet for a few days. Sounds like you took thorough precautions... maybe your son will move out eventually?
Our son is 40, and has his place or digs in Dublin. He has a civilian function in Police Command and Controland they were very understaffed that week. We redesigned our house 18 years ago that each of them would have a refuge here.Son 2 , has a house locally , but would be here almost every day .. except for the last two weeks ,when he was forbidden. He needs to get on a heart and Lungs transplant list again, so having him around Covid was contraindicated. We are not strangers to medical complications.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Flec .. I have always regarded the BBC as an excellent station . Maybe the UK cannot really afford 4 BBC's . I also watch French and occasionally Italian TV..via satellite. And the BBC performs extremely well. Currently working my way through the Inspector George Gently TV dramas set in the North bEast in the1960s..and they are frankly excellent, in terms if writing, atmosphere, accuracy in clothes, mores, and architecture and excellent acting . The BBC do historical drama superbly. The French are stuck in a pre revolutionary Molière mindset on the premier channel, and the Italians are stuck in a glitzy gameshow hell. Having said that the French transmission quality is if anything superior.
Agreed, some of production's are superb. Recent one Around World in 80 days was excellent, if a little woke all same..
But the news is no longer bias free by any means. And Flecc's point about balancing out IMO doesn't really work. Two wrongs and all that. They should just report the truth, not their slant and comments on it. They are not a political body (or shouldn't be)..

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Agreed, some of production's are superb. Recent one Around World in 80 days was excellent, if a little woke all same..
But the news is no longer bias free by any means. And Flecc's point about balancing out IMO doesn't really work. Two wrongs and all that. They should just report the truth, not their slant and comments on it. They are not a political body (or shouldn't be).. Having worked with BBC (Radio) a lot in my professional career I can assure you they are anything but bias free. Rightly are wrongly they have had left wing Liberal leanings for years and have got more so.
A detective drama set in Pateley Bridge featuring weirdos and the rest you've mentioned, would be the final straw... ;)

Haven't Tories successfully infiltrated the BBC with enough of themselves by now?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I know - but it changes about three times in every sentence!
I've not watched it - Is he reverting to Bogie or Doyle?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's not actually the normality it's the obvious fact it's designed by planners to be that way.
It's our entire network now. Watch adverts, watch programmes.... Unfortunately it's one of those things once you, ve spotted it,you can't unnoticed it. Watch adverts tonight. Yep, mixed race families, gay folk, ethnic minorities etc are perfectly normal but entirely over represented on TV.. Osman tonight, as I said earlier. A gay bloke, a black woman, a fat woman and Rufus weirdo. Tick boxing... Yes, we, ve had a gay, a black and a fat woman on TV now..
It's good that there do seem to be a lot more gay people willing to come out as gay these days, the loss of Turing to such cruelty was a tragedy and a horrible blow to science. The inadequate pitiful token move of putting his likeness on banknotes, now that he's long dead, is a null. There do seem to be many more bisexual women, or maybe that's just my experience - the last two I met were models from "Nuts" magazine... :p All I can say is, thank heavens pubs still exist, where pretty much any lonely model (they never normally get chatted up, most blokes are too intimidated - I just don't care) can walk through the door. But once you start chatting them up, you have to fight off all the other blokes to retain your prize. Becomes a free-for-all lol.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: Zlatan

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Glad to hear it! I feared the worst, when you went quiet for a few days. Sounds like you took thorough precautions... maybe your son will move out eventually?
The reason I was quiet, is that I deliberately don't engage in internal UK politics and personalities

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the government owns c4 and has no licence fee for that channel so the bbc can go do one as no one should pay it when they are now a split organization with bbc studios being a private company and paying out the big bucks to the bbc top ppl, you cant foi bbc studios!

so the bbc make a say game show using public money they then sell it around the world via bbc studios and makes 1 billion a year from this alone.

so the bbc make billions in profit for there private company put none of this profit in to the bbc as whats the point as every 12 months 3 billion shows up to be pissed up the wall and want the license fee to rise every year to **** even more up the wall.

Reactions: Zlatan and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The reason I was quiet, is that I deliberately don't engage in internal UK politics and personalities
Commenting on politics or personalities therein, appears to produce an infinite string length of it... which is why I'm usually on the other threads. But there's enjoyable discussion about the acrapalyptic pandemic (and health related stuff) here, far more so than on the tumbleweed assailed Covid thread. In fact, I find any subject but politics interesting. Seems utterly futile discussing politics - vote and forget, unless you are an activist, trying to get elected, or attempting to keep your cushy job in government.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Zlatan

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

lmfao :D

• :D

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Via Judge John Deed - and back.

Perfectly pleasant voice but he simply seems unable to keep to the same accent. Even within a sentence.
Not all actors can speak in tongues of course, this chap tutored Ralph Feinnes for "The Dig" movie (awful film, and Feinnes kept reverting to sounding a bit RSC):

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
tories voting intentions sink further, the gap now widens to 13%
Tories: 30%
Labour: 43%
Labour should have more seats than conservatives in the next parliament.
Steve Baker of the ERG and Covid Research Group may lose his seat (Wycombe) - I reckon he will want BJ out before it's too late for him.
His seat is in the middle of the vulnerability list and Labour may gain about 77+ seats in the next election.
North of the border, the SNP is set to wipe the tories out. No wonder that Douglas Ross also wants BJ out.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Raab:

Asked whether any minister who lied to the House of Commons and failed to correct their remarks should resign, he replied: "Yes."
And asked later on BBC Radio 4's Today programme whether a prime minister who had been found to have lied to Parliament should quit, he said: "He would normally, if it's not corrected, if it's lying, and deliberate... if it's not corrected immediately, it would normally, under the ministerial code and the governance around Parliament, be a resigning matter.
"That is the principle. We uphold the highest standards of principles in public life. That is critically important."

So what would justify an abnormal response to proved lying? Why the massive havering around? Effectively, saying it needn't always - just normally.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
So what would justify an abnormal response to proved lying? Why the massive havering around? Effectively, saying it needn't always - just normally.
I reckon BJ will say that he has not known until Sue Gray's report is out that the gatherings at No 10 were in fact social gatherings.
With what he now knows, he humbly submits his correction to any previous statements that other honorable friends may have found untrue or misleading.
It's all an unfortunate and genuine mistake. He is not usually like that.

Advertisers