Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The best way to hold him to account then is to make him do his job properly for once in his life, instead of being able to run away again and rely on the stupidity of the English Public to allow him to repeat his behaviour in another senior position.
How can he? He's been given a job which is not only difficult but also does not suit his ability.
His job should have been in sales, not in delivery or finance or boardroom.

Mrs Honeyman

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2021
It is always say that in Politics when you are explaining you are losing ..and that is the position that flecc is now in. Compared with the real problems the UK has this Party is really small beer, but its always the little things that trip one up. .
We in Ireland have had two such similar events affecting our great and good.
The first called Golf Gate involved a dinner for the Parliamentary Golf Club .. including Political correspondents. The then current rules allowed gatherings of up to 50 persons in a single venue. Well the hotel had close to 100 at the same event,but with a nominally closed partition between the A and B groups . That cost the most high profile EU Commissioner his job.,and a High Court Judge a lot of credibility.
The second is now happening. Ireland was angling for a place on the UN Security Council and the civil servants working on the deal were pulling an all nighter . Decidedly Workplace located. Well Ireland got the vote earlier than expected ,and it didn't need to go to an extra ballot. So the bottle of champagne came out. , And photographs taken. The Minister in Charge was not present but has been called to account this week.
The party is small beer. An actual party is nothing, but it’s the circumstances and the people involved which gives it significance.

It’s like minor shop theft. If someone smuggles a packet of sweets into their pocket, it’s not exactly the crime if the century. But, if you discovered your solicitor, who is trusted with your affairs, is nicking stuff from the corner shop, it takes on a greater significance. You view it as a symptom of greater dishonesty. It’s the same with the Prime Minister attending a rule breaking party and subsequently lying about it. It’s more than just rule breaking and fibbing, it’s a symptom of fundamental dishonesty in the running of the country.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How can he? He's been given a job which is not only difficult but also does not suit his ability.
His job should have been in sales, not in delivery or finance or boardroom.

I've already answered that. LINK

He can do that as his newspaper editorships have shown.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I've already answered that. LINK

He can do that as his newspaper editorships have shown.
as you said in the linked to post, he's a delegator. Is it a suitable qualification for the top job though?
he delegated the job of organising the party job to his PPS. So who is at fault here?

QUOTE:

The email, obtained by ITV News, said: “Hi all, after what has been an incredibly busy period we thought it would be nice to make the most of the lovely weather and have some socially distanced drinks in the No10 garden this evening. Please join us from 6pm and bring your own booze!"

Who is the 'we' and 'us' in the email here?
It's clear to me that the we is the resident of No 10.

Last edited:

Mrs Honeyman

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2021
1) No blackmail took place.
2) No blackmail took place, but if it did, it was within the blackmailing rules.
3) I’m shocked and disgusted that blackmailing has taken place.
4) I took part in blackmail, but it was within the blackmailing rules.
5) I have blackmailed MPs, but no one told me blackmail was illegal.

Sound familiar?

• :D
Reactions: oyster and Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
1) No blackmail took place.
2) No blackmail took place, but if it did, it was within the blackmailing rules.
3) I’m shocked and disgusted that blackmailing has taken place.
4) I took part in blackmail, but it was within the blackmailing rules.
5) I have blackmailed MPs, but no one told me blackmail was illegal.

Sound familiar?
Blackmail is an inherent part of our political system, the entire basis of our party Whip system in the House of Commons. Without blackmail the Whip system would cease to function.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
as you said in the linked to post, he's a delegator. Is it a suitable qualification for the top job though?
It's the main qualification. The worst PMs have often been those who interfere and do things themselves rather than let ministers run their departments, Margaret Thatcher for example. A PM is like the captain of a ship, he doesn't take the helm, he doesn't ring commands to the engine room, he isn't in the engine room carrying out the commands. He simply directs and ensures his crew do their jobs. That Johnson can do as he showed as a hard taskmaster in his editorships where was succcessful, only coming unstuck on the political aspects as always in his life.

The email, obtained by ITV News, said: “Hi all, after what has been an incredibly busy period we thought it would be nice to make the most of the lovely weather and have some socially distanced drinks in the No10 garden this evening. Please join us from 6pm and bring your own booze!"

Who is the 'we' and 'us' in the email here?
It's clear to me that the we is the resident of No 10.
No argument there, socially distanced so where's the problem? It was only what most of the country were doing anyway. As I've posted before, there were no angels where the Covid regulations were concerned, many aspects almost universally observed in the breach, except where observance was the only course possible.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
No argument there, socially distanced so where's the problem? .
except at the time, the pubs were closed.
You could only meet up with just one person from another family and keep 2m distance from that person.
The rule ( one person from another family) did not apply to the workplace.
I remember that well because we had to have morning and afternoon shifts at my shop, one or two persons were allowed in per workshop.

Reactions: oyster

Mrs Honeyman

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2021
Blackmail is an inherent part of our political system, the entire basis of our party Whip system in the House of Commons. Without blackmail the Whip system would cease to function.
This goes further. The allegation is that funding would be cut to MP's constituencies (both already agreed and future funding), if that particular MP did not fall into line and keep quiet about the corruption. That is very different to the Whip system. This is mis-use of public money to fund an enterprise intended to save the job of a corrupt and dishonest Prime Minister. It is Blackmail at a criminal level, not political pressure being applied.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This goes further. The allegation is that funding would be cut to MP's constituencies (both already agreed and future funding), if that particular MP did not fall into line and keep quiet about the corruption. That is very different to the Whip system. This is mis-use of public money to fund an enterprise intended to save the job of a corrupt and dishonest Prime Minister. It is Blackmail at a criminal level, not political pressure being applied.
You really are naive if you think there is anything new about that. I'm old enough to remember when a party leader's choice of chief whip was a well built thug who didn't hesitate to enforce the party will by all manner of highly illegal means, including violence, humiliation and extremes of intimidation.

Fortunately those ways are largely long gone, but that has for decades meant that the Whips main method is blackmail in any way possible. Some of these such as the one you refer to are actually empty threats that cannot be carried through, but they are linked to actions that can be taken and sometimes are. For example the threat of engineering their deselection, particularly effective against long standing members who are settled in their lives.

The entire whip system is corrupt and its actions often illegal, there is no legal and decent way for it to work with any effectiveness.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Screenshot_20220120_151544.jpg

If this leads to BJ's sacking not much hope for any in employment.
Logs and splinters me thinks.
If Boris needs sacking, fine. But for this.???Give us a break.
Screenshot_20220120_152024.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Screenshot_20220120_153227.jpg

I, ve marked the 5 sackable culprits in picture to include in the witch hunt.
They are clearly breaking the 2m rule. Let's sack them.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You did not get it. At the time, we did not have vaccines. The only weapon was physical distancing, so all the stadia, concert halls, theatres, pubs, bars and nightclubs were forced to closed.
BJ told people not to meet with more than 1 person of a different family while keeping to a 2m in between.
How many families do you reckon you can count from that photograph?
Even Tim Martin of Whetherspoons got upset, you can see why.
His pubs were closed so they created their own pub with beer garden.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

Mrs Honeyman

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2021
View attachment 45429

If this leads to BJ's sacking not much hope for any in employment.
Logs and splinters me thinks.
View attachment 45430
If Johnson had said at the first opportunity that he had been to a social gathering and now bitterly regrets it, things might have been different. It's the initial firm denials and then, only when cornered, incremental admissions, some of which contradict previous denials and constitute blatant lying to parliament that is the problem. This marks him out as an unfit leader.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
You did not get it. At the time, we did not have vaccines. The only weapon was physical distancing, so all the stadia, concert halls, theatres, pubs, bars and nightclubs were forced to closed.
BJ told people not to meet with more than 1 person of a different family while keeping to a 2m in between.
How many families do you reckon you can count from that photograph?
Even Tim Martin of Whetherspoons got upset, you can see why.
His pubs were closed so they created their own pub with beer garden.
Difference being, all those different families you mention in photo work together indoors.
The real question should be was there actually any more risk from the gathering. But that is far too objective for the witch hunt.
Party my arse. Its a drink in garden.
Cast the first stone.??
Your hero Starmer was worse. Drinking inside amongst a group and wore sunglasses (inside) to hide behind. Should we sack him too.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Difference being, all those different families you mention in photo work together indoors.
The real question should be was there actually any more risk from the gathering. But that is far too objective for the witch hunt.
Party my arse. Its a drink in garden.
Cast the first stone.??
Your hero Starmer was worse. Drinking inside amongst a group and wore sunglasses (inside) to hide behind. Should we sack him too.
Seems like some of the police decisions - like someone being told they were breaking the law having a drink in their own garden simply because there was no fence - are being forgotten.

Take two neighbours who work with each other. That didn't give them immunity to being fined if they drank together in one of their gardens.

• Disagree
Reactions: Zlatan

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You can't see how ridiculous you sound by finding some technicality to excuse BJ's instigating the beer garden. People can't see why he can have an independent report and not them when the police came to their house on Covid rules.
BTW, the rule (meeting only one person outside your family bubble) was then applicable to garden and parks.

• Disagree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Seems like some of the police decisions - like someone being told they were breaking the law having a drink in their own garden simply because there was no fence - are being forgotten.

Take two neighbours who work with each other. That didn't give them immunity to being fined if they drank together in one of their gardens.
Thousands of people sat in their gardens drinking with neighbours???
And I, m not saying what Boris did was right. It was human. Sat at a table having a drink,and nearest person to him he sleeps with every night.
Reckon country has utterly lost all sense of perspective.
Fairly sure he, s done far worse with not a word.. Its ridiculous.
And Woosh I can't believe how stupid and hypocritical you sound defending Starmer doing worse. He was indoors drinking in a group.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
You can't see how ridiculous you sound by finding some technicality to excuse BJ's instigating the beer garden. People can't see why he can have an independent report and not them when the police came to their house on Covid rules.
BTW, the rule (meeting only one person outside your family bubble) was then applicable to garden and parks.
They could have put in a specific exclusion - for example, for civil servants and politicians who have to carry on working - but they didn't.

(Might have been extremely unpopular at the time. But it might have avoided what is happening now.)

Advertisers