Brexit, for once some facts.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I think he thought that a win for remain was certain and therefore taking the position he did would make him look like a strong leader who had kept us in the EU . Unfortunately for him he got it badly wrong

• Agree
Reactions: tillson and trex
Mar 9, 2016
Lets recap on the plot so far Correct me where I have it wrong...
  • For years the EU has been used as an excuse for Government failure
  • Certain newspapers (one funds UKIP) have lied about the powers of the EU and made out it outvoted us all the time when 2% was the true figure. Even the Telegraph has a changed mood
  • For some reason Putin has become the Darling of the Daily Express and can do no wrong.
  • Both parties were perceived to be lying when they supported remain, Cameron because he has blamed the EU for everything except the weather, Corbyn as he has always been Eurosceptic
  • The out vote wins with a small majority (I predicted it would win with a bigger one so I got that wrong.)
  • There are immediate and large losses on the Stock market as expected, but after the usual swindling runs its course a recovery of sorts
  • The pound drops to the lowest level since 1986 and now? well who knows it depends what is revealed over the next days, weeks and months.
  • There is a Petition which calls for a second referendum, which is torpedoed by someone or some faction with false votes.(why?)
  • The Scots say to hell with England we are staying in
  • The out vote has now definite proof that for many of them they have been conned with untruths about the things they thought they were voting for from the mouths of the politicians leading their cause
  • Suddenly for some unknown reason the Daily Mail regurgitates the true situation regarding the consequences of Brexit and the readers react with comments I never expected to see in a right wing paper.
  • Corbyn faces a mass uprising of the pro Tory faction in the Labour party (impeccably timed)and sacks the chief one, and the rest leave what appears to be a sinking ship.
  • Parliament appears to have second thoughts about who actually runs the country and of course Boris has said previously as Tillson correctly pointed out, that he thought it would be a good idea to get an out vote to negotiate better terms with the EU, so his motives are questionable.In the Telegraph this morning he announces "I cannot stress too much that Britain is part of Europe and always will be." so why was he the leader of the Leave camp??
  • We no longer have any idea of how many MP's can be trusted to enforce the will of the people rather than their own agenda.
  • We no longer even know what level of support Brexit now has.
  • This morning in the Guardian "EU may refuse informal Brexit talks until UK triggers article 50" which rather urinates on Boris's blackmail ploy doesn't it?
  • Both parties follow the line in public that the "will of the people must be respected (even though we're not sure what that actually means.after the lies that secured the result were revealed)
  • The EU says it wont negotiate until we trigger article 50 so there is no point whatever looking to change anything with a general election is there?
  • Effectively in less than a week we have lost the EU, and both Government and opposition. we are freewheeling with no brakes or steering.
Have I missed anything? that's highly probable is the situation is changing so rapidly.
This has become a "Midsummer Nights Nightmare"
Someone please reassure me I have got it all wrong and there is a plan that will restore sanity to the situation.
It's like reading a novel and knowing there is a hell of a plot running in the background, but what it is, driven by whom, and why?
Much as see the validity in most of your points there is a sense of sensationsm and perhaps bias? This unfortunately is the way media works, sensation sells papers, gets us hitting keyboards and seeing adverts...
Just take for example FTSE. Yes it dropped to 5800 ( and may do again)..in a flash its beamed around world 200 billion (or whatever it was ) knocked off value because of Brexit.However if folk take trouble to look at ftse, they would see it dropped ( worked its way down) to around 5500 for beginning of February. Not a word in press or on here.
And anyone who,s watched ftse over past 10 years or so would know its been stagnent at around tho figure throughout, which is probably far more worrying than anything Brexit could do, but its not mentioned. Its not sensational.

Interestingly there are lots of companies in that top 100 who published Brexit would destroy them now saying , well actually we can cope. ( example read statement from Aviva)
George Osbourne is saying same. Said it before but HL , Woodruff and Mark Carney have said same all along.
Time to calm down, loose preconceptions and be objective.
UK business can and will cope.

Mar 9, 2016
I think that was expected to some degree
No we are not. Many companies relish weak pound. Its how system works. Weak pound might mean higher prices, it also means higher sales, more competitive abroad. It also attracts outside investors. Its why uk has flourished out of euro. We can adjust relative value of sterling. France etc can not alter value of euro.
Moderate inflation is beneficial to any country. Deflation destroys them.
( sorry Gray this was in response to claim we are 11% pooorer)

Reactions: gray198

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Sarah Vine, wife of Michael Gove, now pleas for the help of the experts.
Johnson is now back-pedalling on his referendum rhetoric.

It seems to me that reality is dawning on leading Brexiters.
Another 17 millions to go then we can get somewhere.

Reactions: flecc and Alan Quay

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Much as see the validity in most of your points there is a sense of sensationsm and perhaps bias? This unfortunately is the way media works, sensation sells papers, gets us hitting keyboards and seeing adverts...
Just take for example FTSE. Yes it dropped to 5800 ( and may do again)..in a flash its beamed around world 200 billion (or whatever it was ) knocked off value because of Brexit.However if folk take trouble to look at ftse, they would see it dropped ( worked its way down) to around 5500 for beginning of February. Not a word in press or on here.
And anyone who,s watched ftse over past 10 years or so would know its been stagnent at around tho figure throughout, which is probably far more worrying than anything Brexit could do, but its not mentioned. Its not sensational.

Interestingly there are lots of companies in that top 100 who published Brexit would destroy them now saying , well actually we can cope. ( example read statement from Aviva)
George Osbourne is saying same. Said it before but HL , Woodruff and Mark Carney have said same all along.
Time to calm down, loose preconceptions and be objective.
UK business can and will cope.
You are right I am biassed, but have put down the way I saw the situation,
The fact, if it is a fact, that British Business can cope doesn't really compensate for the fact this is a manufactured situation it should not have had to face.
And that is being objective.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
No we are not. Many companies relish weak pound. Its how system works. Weak pound might mean higher prices, it also means higher sales, more competitive abroad. It also attracts outside investors. Its why uk has flourished out of euro. We can adjust relative value of sterling. France etc can not alter value of euro.
Moderate inflation is beneficial to any country. Deflation destroys them.
( sorry Gray this was in response to claim we are 11% pooorer)
Inflation indeed benefits business and yet when prices in the shops rise due to inflation will the people rejoice?
Especially those at the bottom of the food chain?
That is exactly the opposite of what they thought they were voting for.

• Agree
Reactions: trex

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Sarah Vine, wife of Michael Gove, now pleas for the help of the experts.
Johnson is now back-pedalling on his referendum rhetoric.

It seems to me that reality is dawning on leading Brexiters.
Another 17 millions to go then we can get somewhere.
They only need to ring the IMF to bail them out like last time ;)

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and trex

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I rarely have a good word for Cameron but there is one thing he can be congratulated on.
He has dropped Boris and Gove right into the proverbial by making them shoulder the responsibility for triggering article 50
Hands up anyone who believes they are either Brave enough or stupid enough to do that and carry the can afterwards. hardly any wonder then that they are begging for the help of Experts.
Shame we don't have time travel and could send them and the experts back to last week.
Then lies would not have been employed so readily...oh, forget I said that, there were plenty of experts telling them the opposite weren't there, so they wouldn't have listened would they, and today where has their faith in those experts they did consult gone?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Pound keeps falling all morning. It's now into $1.31
We are definitely poorer now than when we woke up this morning.
Most online retailers have put their prices up.
There are calls from labour MPs for parliament to cancel result of the last referendum and start again.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
flud, it's time you come to your senses.
If you have studied macroeconomics, this time, it's not speculation.
the Pound has fallen to 31 year low. The country is poorer. Outlook for the economy is grim. Just wait for June's current account, we'll see how deep we are in the ****hole.
Don't discount an emergency budget.
if we can't borrow to settle the current account, then it's the IMF not our parliament that will tell us what to do.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
flud, it's time you come to your senses.
If you have studied macroeconomics, this time, it's not speculation.
the Pound has fallen to 31 year low. The country is poorer. Outlook for the economy is grim. Just wait for June's current account, we'll see how deep we are in the ****hole.
Don't discount an emergency budget.
if we can't borrow to settle the current account, then it's the IMF not our parliament that will tell us what to do.
while I and 16 million others have seen this train crash coming, I suspect the other 17 million will have to experience it directly before the penny drops.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I have to say that the remain camp did an awful job,Osborne dreamed up every scare that he could think of and yet the real scares are now coming out only days after the leave result.
We could end up in some awful limbo land where we have gained nothing for the anti immigration voters,we have no voting rights but have to continue to make the contributions.
Boris is already losing his nerve,there seems to be no exit plan and nobody seems to want to take on the onerous task of unraveling us from the EU and presenting our country to the rest of the world.
The remain camp never mentioned that Northern Ireland may find it attractive to combine with Ireland if they voted remain. The remain camp never mentioned that Scotland may look to become an independent country if they voted remain,maybe Hadrians Wall may prove useful. There were those on the leave side who thought that they were voting for the UK to return to Great Britain ,looks like we could be Little and insignificant Britain.
Why didn't Cameron put a margin on the decision ,say 20%,it would have been reasonable to say that we needed a clear majority to decide to leave,otherwise the vote was nul and void.
I am told that we need a parliamentary vote to trigger article 50,I am told that 450 MPs out of 650 voted to remain,what happens if those MPs vote against triggering article 50... After all the leave camp wanted us to get the right to make our own laws. There is no mechanism for the EU to force us out, we could be left in limbo where our parliament wants us to stay,we will continue with making EU contributions but with no voting rights in the EU.
Similarly with regard to immigration,Probably the most important consideration by the vote leave voters,I think many thought that next week we would be restricting EU migration,but what happens if the strong remain lobby of MPs vote down any restriction on EU migration...I suppose that will trigger a general election.
The. Remain lobby thought they couldn't lose and the Leave lobby thought they couldn't win,now they have won they just don't know how to deal with it.
I think 17 million Leave voters could be very disappointed with the ultimate outcome.
KudosDave

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Apparently Corbyn voted leave ???
One thing this has shown us is just how pathetic our governence is. Imagine this lot coping with 1939...
Source of this information please?
Or is it as reliable as the usual stuff?;)

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Remember when I quoted Spike Milligan and got ridiculed way back in the early days of this thread?
"Slogan for the Brexit Campaign:" We haven't got a plan so nothing can go wrong"?
Courtesy of "The Boris in Blunderland Corporation"

Sorry but I have to stop and laugh hysterically, and cry at the same time.:confused:o_O:mad:

Reactions: trex
Mar 9, 2016
Source of this information please?
Or is it as reliable as the usual stuff?;)
Just rumour OG !!!
Trex
Closest analogy I can think of its like somebody having a major operation. You and OG running in room taking patients temperature and saying how bad you look every 30 seconds III s pointless. Leave it be. Patient isn't terminal. Its a matter of time , patience and hard work for physio..
If you and OG put these efforts into something positive patient would be out playing in euros.
There are bound to be problems. Stop buying into the hysteria, its self promoting. Media love it and fan the flames. Just give it time, and I don't mean weeks I mean years. Its a long process.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Just rumour OG !!!
Trex
Closest analogy I can think of is country is like somebody having a major operation. You and OG running in room taking patients temperature and saying how bad you look every 30 seconds III s pointless. Leave it be. Patient isn't terminal. Its a matter of time , patience and hard work for physio..
If you and OG put these efforts into something positive patient would be out playing I euros.
And you denying you'll get wet when it's raining since when the rain hits you under the tree where you are you will shelter under the next one?
ROFLMAO
Remember this gaping flaw in your argument, There wasn't a sick patient needing treatment till the referendum was there?
Tell me Flud after voting for remain, what else can I do to stop the looneys burning down the Asylum?
Your advice would be appreciatedo_O

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Actually in the short term,the weak pound may be good for revenue,but at some point importers/exporters such as Kudos upon replacing stock will have to reprice. Most traders I know use £ v $ 1.40 as the lower limit,below which some cost prices have to be reviewed.
Kudos have bought enough e-bike stock to last most of 2016 and our parent company have bought forward US dollar at 1.45,so no immediate price changes are under consideration.
Both the FTSE and currency traders have experienced lower limits earlier in the year without scaring us all.
The biggest problem is insecurity,whilst we are in the limbo land of not being in,nor being out,big decisions are best left,new product ranges are stalled,companies trade flat and maybe unemployment will rise.
Not sure the old lady in the rurals,who thought Boris was a cuddly character,voted Leave,wanted migrants out and Britain to be Great Britain again,realised that her son in the city of London may lose his job after the trading EU passport is removed.
Did she appreciate that her hip operation may be suspended indefinitely because the local hospital has had to stop recruiting migrant labour and closing wards.
KudosDave

Advertisers