Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Todays sob story from the Telegraph
"
The Brexit leader, who is the favourite to succeed David Cameron as prime minister, claimed that Britain would remain a member of the EU’s single market while introducing a points-based immigration system to limit the right of EU citizens to work in Britain.

British people would still be able to live, travel, study and buy homes on the continent but the same rights would not be automatically extended to EU citizens in the UK, he wrote. Britain would also be freed from sending “a substantial sum of money” to the EU budget, which he said “could” be used for the NHS.

Johnson insisted the only change – “and it will not come in any great rush – is that the UK will extricate itself from the EU’s extraordinary and opaque system of legislation”.
“It is a pipe dream,” said the EU diplomat. “You cannot have full access to the single market and not accept its rules. If we gave that kind of deal to the UK, then why not to Australia or New Zealand. It would be a free-for-all.”

A second EU diplomat said: “There are no preferences, there are principles and the principle is ‘no pick and choose’.”

The diplomat stressed that participating in the single market meant accepting EU rules, including the jurisdiction of the European court of justice, monitoring by the European commission and accepting the primacy of EU law over national law – conditions that will be anathema to leave advocates who campaigned on the mantra “take back control”.

“There is no logic of punishment or sanction but the application of the law,” the diplomat said.

A third EU diplomat said the Brexit side had “no clue” what was going on and did not have a plan.
It looks very much as if nothing is going to change. Then at some time the press will be required to present a great defeat as a great victory.
Poor Boris and the other fella, what's his name? gormless or something like that.
He reached into the hat and there was no rabbit, just the little round bits they leave behind! :eek:

Mar 9, 2016
You can always rely on the Daily Mail to reverse lies and claim they are the truth
"'Project Fear is over,' declares Boris Johnson as he tells Britain: 'Pensions are safe, the pound and markets are stable - it's all very good news'"

Isn't it reassuring that this idiot is likely to be the next prime minister?
He's like Saddam's information minister Comical Ali
OG. Its Mervyn King calling it remain,s scaremongering and project fear. He also says its proving not to be case.
I don't really think Mervyn King could be accused of being part of " Murdoch empire" ,having any bias or not knowing what he,s talking about. Especially considering who made him a lord. But,like all such positive comments ( for brecit) you,ll dismiss them.
BTW where was info from for eu superstate.
Ps. Please read King's report in Guardian. Could quite well be this exaggeration is exactly what,s caused problem in first place. Exaggeration you are still buying into. There is a good argument to suggest this kind of rubbish is seen through and real dangers are then ignored.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
OG. Its Mervyn King calling it remain,s scaremongering and project fear. He also says its proving not to be case.
I don't really think Mervyn King could be accused of being part of " Murdoch empire" ,having any bias or not knowing what he,s talking about. Especially considering who made him a lord. But,like all such positive comments ( for brecit) you,ll dismiss them.
BTW where was info from for eu superstate.
Mervyn King is certainly entitled to his opinion, but managed to forget the lies and scaremongering from the Laurel and Hardy tribute duo didn't he? and frankly he is doing the very thing you complain about speaking too soon, what the heck was going on about Turkey but scaremongering?
By the way
The Express today about Eu superstate
http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/683739/EU-referendum-German-French-European-superstate-Brexit
Interestingly it has been replaced with this on the front page
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/683883/EU-plans-members-adopt-euro-revealed-DAYS-Brexit-Britain
perhaps it was too far fetched even for the Express?

BrendanJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Cheshire
And with just three patrol boats to cover 7,800 miles of coastline ours have the structural integrity of a big girls blouse! ;)
Just given a good example of your manipulation of facts,
So presumably you believe migrants are likely to land in Scotland, or the North West, or north east or perhaps even Cornwall
Could you in the interest of practical honesty, now that the vote is over please narrow down your 7800 miles of coastline that need to be patrolled a little;)

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Just given a good example of your manipulation of facts,
So presumably you believe migrants are likely to land in Scotland, or the North West, or north east or perk apps even Cornwall
Could you in the interest of practical honesty, now that the vote is over please narrow down your 7800 miles of coastline that need to be patrolled a little;)
Absolutely not! are you seriously suggesting that they only come in across the channel?
No wonder you voted for Brexit!
We have roll on roll of ferries in Hull that run a nightly service to Zeebrugge and Rotterdam, and a constant traffic of small boats from the continent into our Marina, and remember the Humber is roughly half way up the country.
They can stop anywhere on the coast overnight without attracting much interest as our beloved Government has run the Coastguard down and Volunteers from the Coastwatch Charity do a splendid job of trying to improve safety at sea, it is not their job to detect and stop people smugglers, how can they as telling a legitimate small boat from a smuggler needs stop and search powers.
To give you an idea of how far a small boat can travel, there is a plaque on the Harbour at St Ives in Cornwall that records that a sailing lugger a century ago managed to reach Scarborough in twenty hours.
The RNLI fields a fleet of 357 boats to cover the coast.
And we have just three patrol boats.
Remember the case of the 18 illegals in the paper recently? the RNlI fished them out of the sea and handed them over to the coastguard, otherwise they would have landed and disappeared.
Want to know how most will come? below decks in inshore fishing boats dressed as crew members.
And those boats have a hell of a range of operations.

Mar 9, 2016
Mervyn King is certainly entitled to his opinion, but managed to forget the lies and scaremongering from the Laurel and Hardy tribute duo didn't he? and frankly he is doing the very thing you complain about speaking too soon, what the heck was going on about Turkey but scaremongering?
By the way
The Express today about Eu superstate
http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/683739/EU-referendum-German-French-European-superstate-Brexit
Interestingly it has been replaced with this on the front page
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/683883/EU-plans-members-adopt-euro-revealed-DAYS-Brexit-Britain
perhaps it was too far fetched even for the Express?
OG
You can not simply write off opnions because they conflict with your own. Mervyn King, Mark Carney, Hargreaves Lansdown, Woodruff are between them perhaps most experienced, best informed impartial experts in country.. They are not under influence of any political party or agenda..They all say same.
Yet you either don't read their reports dismiss them. In reality the real affects of Brexit, good or bad, will take 10 years to take affect. Current fluctuations are either nothing to do with Brexit, confidence or speculation led changes.
But again you,ll know better than all above, you,ll believe the hyperbole and miss the real damaging issues.( ie the lack of viable opposition to tories and stagnation of all markets.( both of which started years ago)
Just stop and read impartial reports rather than garbage in Express and on internet.
Take care OG. I,m giving it another rest. You aren,t listening , reading or trying to be positive.

Reactions: mike killay

BrendanJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Cheshire
Absolutely not! are you seriously suggesting that they only come in across the channel?
No wonder you voted for Brexit!
We have roll on roll of ferries in Hull that run a nightly service to Zeebrugge and Rotterdam, and a constant traffic of small boats from the continent into our Marina, and remember the Humber is roughly half way up the country.
They can stop anywhere on the coast overnight without attracting much interest as our beloved Government has run the Coastguard down and Volunteers from the Coastwatch Charity do a splendid job of trying to improve safety at sea, it is not their job to detect and stop people smugglers, how can they as telling a legitimate small boat from a smuggler needs stop and search powers.
To give you an idea of how far a small boat can travel, there is a plaque on the Harbour at St Ives in Cornwall that records that a sailing lugger a century ago managed to reach Scarborough in twenty hours.
The RNLI fields a fleet of 357 boats to cover the coast.
And we have just three patrol boats.
Remember the case of the 18 illegals in the paper recently? the RNlI fished them out of the sea and handed them over to the coastguard, otherwise they would have landed and disappeared.
Want to know how most will come? below decks in inshore fishing boats dressed as crew members.
And those boats have a hell of a range of operations.
And that reply is why most with any desire at balance on this thread discount what you have to say. What a joke

• Disagree
Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
OG
You can not simply write off opnions because they conflict with your own. Mervyn King, Mark Carney, Hargreaves Lansdown, Woodruff are between them perhaps most experienced, best informed impartial experts in country.. They are not under influence of any political party or agenda..They all say same.
Yet you either don't read their reports dismiss them. In reality the real affects of Brexit, good or bad, will take 10 years to take affect. Current fluctuations are either nothing to do with Brexit, confidence or speculation led changes.
But again you,ll know better than all above, you,ll believe the hyperbole and miss the real damaging issues.( ie the lack of viable opposition to tories and stagnation of all markets.( both of which started years ago)
Just stop and read impartial reports rather than garbage in Express and on internet.
Take care OG. I,m giving it another rest. You aren,t listening , reading or trying to be positive.
"Just stop and read impartial reports rather than garbage in Express and on internet."
Well said Flud! you are so right about the Garbage in the Express, and yet as we both know Expert opinions are well worth taking notice of i agree but are nothing more that an opinion, and I'm sorry but I really don't believe that they are any more impartial than anyone elses.
I am trying to be positive.
This situation is nothing more than a act of sabotage against the future nation for a set of quite sinister reasons.
It is simply an attempt at brinkmanship to blackmail the EU, which Boris and co have no intention of leaving and they don't care what damage they do in the process.
I do not doubt for a moment that this country can survive on its own, but I very much doubt that the public will not suffer while these fools play power politics, they have misled and abused the public trust causing wilful damage not only to us but our European Friends too.
None of this was necessary or makes the slightest sense.
Who gives a damn that the country can support the rich at the expense of the poor?
Not me, why do you?

• :D
Reactions: robdon and BrendanJ

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Last edited:
Reactions: BrendanJ

BrendanJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Cheshire
"Just stop and read impartial reports rather than garbage in Express and on internet."
Well said Flud! you are so right about the Garbage in the Express, and yet as we both know Expert opinions are well worth taking notice of i agree but are nothing more that an opinion, and I'm sorry but I really don't believe that they are any more impartial than anyone elses.
I am trying to be positive.
This situation is nothing more than a act of sabotage against the future nation for a set of quite sinister reasons.
It is simply an attempt at brinkmanship to blackmail the EU, which Boris and co have no intention of leaving and they don't care what damage they do in the process.
I do not doubt for a moment that this country can survive on its own, but I very much doubt that the public will not suffer while these fools play power politics, they have misled and abused the public trust causing wilful damage not only to us but our European Friends too.
None of this was necessary or makes the slightest sense.
Who gives a damn that the country can support the rich at the expense of the poor?
Not me, why do you?
Your posts should really come with a hazard warning, but as there isn't one I will from now use the funny smilie and encourage others to do the same

Reactions: oldgroaner

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
S&P just downgraded the UK's AAA credit rating.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36644934

There is just no good news since Friday.
trex I don't think anyone expected good news this early in the procedure bearing in mind the way our treasury and the remain side have been talking down the economy and trying to spread fear. Or do you think that would not make any difference?

• Agree
Reactions: tillson

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
@BrendanJ
you should compare UK with France and Germany.
They are going to win business and investment from us.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

BrendanJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Cheshire
@BrendanJ
you should compare UK with France and Germany.
They are going to win business and investment from us.
Germany have triple A, France have for some considerable time only had double A, and Southern Europe no surprise at their low ratings, even Europe as a whole is only double A plus with Germany pulling it up
Somewhat interestingly shows the European divide and the ridiculous policy of one size fits all weakness,
The reality between AAA and AA is nothing and is not the only, even primary consideration for investment decisions

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
S&P, Moody etc all saying that they don't think investing in the UK now is not as good as it was before the referendum.
Less inward investments means that exports may not be as good as or better than before, despite a devalued Pound.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Brexiters need to stop fighting the same referendum. The result is what it is, the economics also is what it is.
Prices will rise if have not done so already. Tax revenue will be down next.
We are well and truly overtaken by France.

Advertisers