Brexit, for once some facts.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
True, but in the past, it took centuries to grow. The Single Market changed all that.
Immigration shoots up from about 10% to 15%-20% in just one generation.
On the 15th of August 1947, the partition of British India caused the movement of 18 million people. This caused both religious and civil tensions between Hindus and Muslims. This resulted in the highest casualty rate for one migration according to the Guinness Book of World Records 2014. One million people were killed and 12 million became homeless.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
True, but in the past, it took centuries to grow. The Single Market changed all that.
Immigration shoots up from about 10% to 15%-20% in just one generation.
That's just not true.

The Normans came here in huge numbers within a very short space of time and greatly angered the English with their insistence on the adoption of French language and customs. So much so that the English deliberately misunderstood and mispronounced French to infuriate the Normans. Yet that went on to become the most successful of all our integrations, as our language and ancestry shows.

Around the start of the 20th century there was a very large influx of Eastern European Jewish refugees into East London, them quickly becoming a dominant population there and causing great dissent among the rest of Londoners. Many of their sons and grandsons, born as cockneys, went on to become a high proportion of London's cabbies, true to this day. Their integration is so complete that they are regarded as the archetypal English London cockney!

At the same time there was a rapid very large influx of people from Italy into the UK, so many settling around Bedford that it's still known as Little Italy. But their integration is so complete that the are fully a part of English life at all levels. My use of the language should show you that I am very English, yet I am from that Italian influx with an Italian surname.

And just look at the very recent rapid peaceful absorption of the French into the London and Kent areas, you being one of them.

It only takes a generation to get acceptance and a fair degree of integration, both the UK and Germany among others proving that true. There is after all always a newer newcomer to pick on!

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
that is looking at the world through a very simplistic ethnocentric filter. Do you have any idea how much diversity there is amongst germans - or turks or english for that matter? I have less in common with you than i have with most turks I've met. and as for the "economic downturn" argument - yes, that's a useful moment for populist politicians to use "immigrants" as a way to focus gullible natives' attention away from their own failure. Hitler did that, much as trump and far right tories do. it does not make it a valid premise: immigrants create more wealth than they consume, unlike many locals who, living idle lives, naturally do not like being shown up for doing that.

Blah blah blah Hitler blah blah blah British people are scum blah blah blah

Change the record mate its becoming boring.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Blah blah blah Hitler blah blah blah British people are scum blah blah blah

Change the record mate its becoming boring.
So, you think people are scum. Not surprising really. outside kindergarten blah blah does not constitute coherent speech. is that too difficult for you to comprehend? Thought so

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oyster

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
East Germans were Prussians, and were as "German" and or as different as the Bavarians ,or as close as the Scots are to English .They would not have seen themselves as German until 1860s . Nationalism in the UK sense was very late in coming to Germany. But of course they are a highly organised people and take to these new fangled ideas with enthusiasm.

They do indeed.

They do indeed. From todays Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/11/new-far-right-german-party-adopts-former-secret-nazi-symbol

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
He, s had the potion. Morphing back to Tom...
I just out of curiosity pressed the "Show ignore content button" and what do I see? this post of yours.
You really never learn do you?
Why do you still persist with these juvenile and pointless posts? they have nothing to with the thread have they?
Ah well,here is a video for you to watch in the vain hope you learn something.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
how to make fake news pay
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-donors-exclusive/exclusive-leading-brexit-donors-say-britain-will-reverse-decision-to-leave-eu-idUKKCN1P50UU
Exclusive: Leading Brexit donors say Britain will reverse decision to leave EU

Andrew MacAskill, Ben Martin, Maiya Keidan

LONDON (Reuters) - Two of the biggest donors to the Brexit campaign say they now believe the project they championed will eventually be abandoned by the government and the United Kingdom will stay in the European Union.

This is of course a blatant lie, with the intention of stressing the pound to make a profit speculating.
Standard rip off of the type Farage used with the famous early admission of defeat on referendum night.
It demonstrates clearly the sort of chancers these people really are

• Agree

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
I just out of curiosity pressed the "Show ignore content button" and what do I see? this post of yours.
You really never learn do you?
Why do you still persist with these juvenile and pointless posts? they have nothing to with the thread have they?
Ah well,here is a video for you to watch in the vain hope you learn something.

You know what old friend . I think you have replied more times to zlats since you put him on ignore than when he wasn’t!

What are you like!

• Agree
Reactions: tommie

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
So, you think people are scum. Not surprising really. outside kindergarten blah blah does not constitute coherent speech. is that too difficult for you to comprehend? Thought so
Just hit the ignore button then you don't encourage the Trolls
You can always take a peek now and then to see if they have wandered off and stopped making a nuisance of themselves.
After all it's not as if their absence is any loss to the debate is it?
All they do is clown around trying to annoy people.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
You know what old friend . I think you have replied more times to zlats since you put him on ignore than when he wasn’t!

What are you like!
I occasionally look to see if you and he have grown up and have stopped clowing around.
Not so far, obviously
I'll check in now and again to see what latest silly comments you come up with.or even better gone away to bore people somewhere else.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
I don't see this, I can envisage the UK crashing out, due to ineptude and a failure of leadership. It is not a conclusion wished for by the vast majority in Europe,and probably the majority in the UK parliament.
In the likely event of the Mrs May Deal being rejected. The 3 day requirement to bring up an alternative may fly in the UK, but will not have any traction with the EU. Meanwhile we are then at 60 days to crash out.
Who in the UK will instruct the Cabinet to seek an extension to Article 50?. The only people who can are a majority of the HoC . While they still have these 60 days, .. see how quickly they erode.
The solution is not in Westminster it`s a simple one in Brussels/Dublin

By Arlene Foster
January 11 2019

Yesterday I hosted a meeting with the Republic of Ireland's Foreign Minister and Tanaiste Simon Coveney in Stormont. We discussed how the Irish Government and Brussels negotiators needed to have a change of heart if the United Kingdom is to reach an agreement with the European Union before March 29.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/news-analysis/arlene-foster-deal-will-fall-unless-there-is-change-of-heart-in-dublin-and-eu-on-backstop-37700943.html

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
More revelations
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/mercedes-benz-brexit-production-move-nissan-plant-sunderland-a8568331.html

Mercedes-Benz abandoned plans to move production to UK plant after Brexit vote

Daimler-owned brand looked into using Nissan’s Sunderland plant to manufacture cars
Mercedes-Benz had been considering moving production to the UK ahead of the EU referendum in 2016, but decided against the move after the vote for Brexit, the carmaker’s chief executive has revealed.
Dieter Zetsche, outgoing head of the brand, told Paris Motor Show attendees that he had begun negotiations with Nissan regarding potentially using its Sunderland plant to build Mercedes-Benz cars.

“Before Brexit there was one project where we were looking at an option of producing cars in Sunderland together,” he said.

Mercedes-Benz owner Daimler formed an alliance with Nissan and Renault in 2010.

Old news, but telling (except to the terminally dumb)

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

By Arlene Foster
January 11 2019

Yesterday I hosted a meeting with the Republic of Ireland's Foreign Minister and Tanaiste Simon Coveney in Stormont. We discussed how the Irish Government and Brussels negotiators needed to have a change of heart if the United Kingdom is to reach an agreement with the European Union before March 29.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/news-analysis/arlene-foster-deal-will-fall-unless-there-is-change-of-heart-in-dublin-and-eu-on-backstop-37700943.html
And pigs might fly

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

By Arlene Foster
January 11 2019

All problems have simple solutions .These solutions are obvious to both very bright and very simple people. The solutions suggested by the very bright people usually work, the simple solutions proposed by the simple people usually don't. Guess which side of that divide I would place Ms Foster?.
Had she had the wisdom to step aside for a short period at the onset of the RHI ,as had been gently requested, you would have a parliament, she would be a working First Minister and the wrongness of the DUP stance, regarding Brexit would have been exposed. I am astonished by your provinces forebearance in this matter.
I suggest there is a little of the " royal we" in her saying " we discussed " , my expectation is that Simon would have nodded at most.
While the UK is nominally the 5 largest economy, it is sitting with no noticeable gap with the next three economies. Indeed the German economy , the one in 4th place is not quite double the UK value,. The point here being that by this time next year ut coukd have dropped to 9th place,with little effort

Last edited:

Advertisers