Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Your attitude is causing me to reassess my thoughts about you. You are extremely anti U.K. and seem to support illegal acts against the nation, including terrorism.
This is completely wrong and offensive.

Danidl's long posting record shows very clearly his intense dislike of the IRA and of terrorist actions. Nor is he in any way anti UK, he maintains a strong interest in the UK and is concerned for its future following brexit.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
My great grandfather, Cecil Hugh Shitpeas, had one t. My father, Henry George Shittpeas was accidentally recorded with two. This was an error by the registrar and the double t has continued in our line since then.
Interesting, I imagined it was an anglicisation of the familiar german surname Schittzpeace

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Iran seems to be attracting criticism from those opposed to terrorism from around the world and across all U.K. political parties.

Emily Thornbury, a lawyer, has stated,
“It was a complete breach of international law and it was totally wrong to do so,” regarding the detention.

Your attitude is causing me to reassess my thoughts about you. You are extremely anti U.K. and seem to support illegal acts against the nation, including terrorism.
You could reconsider your definition of terrorism. How about propping up regimes like al Sisi's in Egypt that use torture and arbitrary killing of civilians to remain in power (as america does)?

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
This is completely wrong and offensive.

Danidl's long posting record shows very clearly his intense dislike of the IRA and of terrorist actions. Nor is he in any way anti UK, he maintains a strong interest in the UK and is concerned for its future following brexit.
I'm not convinced.

• Dislike
Reactions: flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
One for flecc.
I, ve been saying this for years. Mercury developed a 2 stroke years ago that could meet and surpass emissions, but in their infinite wisdom 2 stroke outboards were banned.
Hope MotoGP do same... Return to 2 strokes??? Or at least a mix

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
One for flecc.
I, ve been saying this for years. Mercury developed a 2 stroke years ago that could meet and surpass emissions, but in their infinite wisdom 2 stroke outboards were banned.
Hope MotoGP do same... Return to 2 strokes??? Or at least a mix
There are definitely possibilities for two stroke, but I fear that it's too late to turn the tide for anything other than racing. With all the impending e-car releases and many more planned, electric is already firmly sealed for future road car use and will become commonplace within five years.

Two weeks before Christmas I experienced a first in my e-car. I've a number of times met or driven in convoy with the odd older Leaf or Zoe and twice met up with another latest Nissan Leaf like mine. But in that pre-Xmas incident I was following a Renault Zoe near home when I saw a car ready to emerge from a drive so flashed it to join. As it shot out I saw it was a Tesla S, so there we were in convoy, three full electric cars from three makers.

Another indicator of the trend for road use is the continuing decline in filling stations, now down to under 6000 in the UK. Meanwhile public charging points now well exceed 10,000 and are increasing at a very rapid rate. One company installing lamp post charge points since last year have already reached over 2000 of them. The other big change is the installation of or conversion to ultra rapid charge points, bumping maximum charge rates up from 50kWh to between 100 and 150 kWh. Tesla are already up to 200 kWh. With the newer models able to take full advantage, these are a real game changer for full electric cars.

But in racing I have to admit for many like me, electric racing is deadly dull. Maybe his last thought of hydrogen ic two-stroke is the most likely for racing since it could be so clean. But of course the authorities might be strongly opposed to anything that might revive a call for ic road cars and their noise pollution to return.

• Informative
Reactions: Zlatan

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Well-known, predictable and predicted, but a surprise and a shock to some, I'm sure:

Carmakers could pull models from the UK, the automotive industry has warned, as the British taste for polluting vehicles clashes with the difficulty of meeting post-Brexit carbon dioxide limits.

Under new EU rules, average carbon dioxide emissions of almost all cars sold in 2020 and 2021 across the single market, including the UK, must fall below 95g per kilometre, with major fines for those carmakers who miss individual targets designed to meet the goal.

That means that the heavier, fuel-guzzling SUVs favoured by Britons are offset by the smaller, less polluting cars preferred in countries such as Italy. After Brexit, when the UK plans to copy EU rules, this will no longer be the case, making a UK-only limit harder to hit.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jan/13/polluting-vehicles-could-be-pulled-from-uk-sale-say-carmakers

One of the two four-wheel vehicles at this address is rated well under 95 grams, the other is (officially) around 110.

I'd be pretty happy to see over-sized vehicles charged more for parking. And folding door mirrors should be mandatory on at least larger vehicles. Not for the benefit fo the owner/driver bu tof the rest of us who have to try and squeeze past. (Yes, both of ours have folding door mirrors.)

Last edited:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Well-known, predictable and predicted, but a surprise and a shock to some, I'm sure:

Carmakers could pull models from the UK, the automotive industry has warned, as the British taste for polluting vehicles clashes with the difficulty of meeting post-Brexit carbon dioxide limits.

Under new EU rules, average carbon dioxide emissions of almost all cars sold in 2020 and 2021 across the single market, including the UK, must fall below 95g per kilometre, with major fines for those carmakers who miss individual targets designed to meet the goal.

That means that the heavier, fuel-guzzling SUVs favoured by Britons are offset by the smaller, less polluting cars preferred in countries such as Italy. After Brexit, when the UK plans to copy EU rules, this will no longer be the case, making a UK-only limit harder to hit.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jan/13/polluting-vehicles-could-be-pulled-from-uk-sale-say-carmakers

One of the two four-wheel vehicles at this address is rated well under 95 grams, the other is (officially) around 110.

I'd be pretty happy to see over-sized vehicles charged more for parking. And folding door mirros should be mandatory on at least larger vehicles. Not for the benefit fo the owner/driver bu tof the rest of us who have to try and squeeze past. (Yes, both of ours have folding door mirrors.)
My vehicle is 352g / km, but this is offset by the other car which returns a much better 254g / km. I like to do my bit by driving the second car whenever possible.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
My vehicle is 352g / km, but this is offset by the other car which returns a much better 254g / km. I like to do my bit by driving the second car whenever possible.
It might have escaped your notice, but "not driving" is less polluting than "driving whenever possible" - even if the other vehicle were as frugal as an electric bike. You can also reduce CO2 emissions by switching off computers, routers, etc.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
There are definitely possibilities for two stroke, but I fear that it's too late to turn the tide for anything other than racing. With all the impending e-car releases and many more planned, electric is already firmly sealed for future road car use and will become commonplace within five years.

Two weeks before Christmas I experienced a first in my e-car. I've a number of times met or driven in convoy with the odd older Leaf or Zoe and twice met up with another latest Nissan Leaf like mine. But in that pre-Xmas incident I was following a Renault Zoe near home when I saw a car ready to emerge from a drive so flashed it to join. As it shot out I saw it was a Tesla S, so there we were in convoy, three full electric cars from three makers.

Another indicator of the trend for road use is the continuing decline in filling stations, now down to under 6000 in the UK. Meanwhile public charging points now well exceed 10,000 and are increasing at a very rapid rate. One company installing lamp post charge points since last year have already reached over 2000 of them. The other big change is the installation of or conversion to ultra rapid charge points, bumping maximum charge rates up from 50kWh to between 100 and 150 kWh. Tesla are already up to 200 kWh. With the newer models able to take full advantage, these are a real game changer for full electric cars.

But in racing I have to admit for many like me, electric racing is deadly dull. Maybe his last thought of hydrogen ic two-stroke is the most likely for racing since it could be so clean. But of course the authorities might be strongly opposed to anything that might revive a call for ic road cars and their noise pollution to return.
Agreed, went to NEC Autoshow yesterday. They were racing various classes indoor, the BRSCC "stock cars" have big block chevy engines and the sound was probably biggest part of show. The e racing demo and stall were not well attended.... But we did question how long will this last? They had a 10 litre Chevy powered drag rail that was loudest car I, ve ever heard.
I was wondering if for folk demanding 400 mile range wether a small highly tuned (super lightweight) 2 stroke could be incorporated into hybrid.???
If 2 stroke can now equal 4s on efficiency and emmisions their lighter weight/size and higher specific output might help hybrid cause??

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
In interests of lower emiisions etc went for 2 litre Jag. I also have a Boxster s. In two I find Jag more enjoyable. Its lack of outright pace actually makes it more fun. Been saying it for years, modern performance cars are too good/ fast to enjoy. Mazda and a few others are sort of catching on. The lower powered MX5 is most fun car on road.
If I drive Boxster at anything over 40% I, m driving too fast. Whereas the Jag does need driving to keep up.
James Hunt was asked what his favourite car was todrive on road. His reply was "Ford Transit van".
Clarkson said "Any hire car". They both had a point.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

I'd be pretty happy to see over-sized vehicles charged more for parking. And folding door mirros should be mandatory on at least larger vehicles. Not for the benefit fo the owner/driver bu tof the rest of us who have to try and squeeze past. (Yes, both of ours have folding door mirrors.)
I think Al Bedwell is wrong in this remark at present:

"However, he added that major efforts to increase sales of battery electric vehicles (BEVs) may not work in the absence of consumer demand."

There's long waiting list for all e-cars and a big pent up demand. So much so that second hand e-car prices have greatly increased and some dealers have sold well used demonstrators at well over new list prices. To stop this abuse Nissan have put minimum period limits on the sale of demonstration models. At one point last year German dealers were quoting one year waiting list to buy a new Nissan Leaf.

• Informative
Reactions: Zlatan and oyster

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
It might have escaped your notice, but "not driving" is less polluting than "driving whenever possible" - even if the other vehicle were as frugal as an electric bike. You can also reduce CO2 emissions by switching off computers, routers, etc.

I ran 1278 miles, walked over 2100 miles and cycled 5798 miles last year. What did you do?

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
In interests of lower I went for 2 litre Jag. I also have a Boxster s. In two I find Jag more enjoyable. Its lack of outright pace actually makes it more fun. Been saying it for years, modern performance cars are too good/ fast to enjoy. Mazda and a few others are sort of catching on. The lower powered MX5 is most fun car on road.
If I drive Boxster at anything over 40% I, m driving too fast. Whereas the Jag does need driving to keep up.
I gave up on fast cars years ago, I'm a Land Rover person these days. I quite fancy a Mazda MX5, but unfairly, they do have a reputation.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was wondering if for folk demanding 400 mile range wether a small highly tuned (super lightweight) 2 stroke could be incorporated into hybrid.???
Hybrid is just not worth pursuing any more. The large new lineup of e-cars about to enter the market include many models that can be bought with genuine ranges from over 300 miles to 500 miles on some.

Add to that the ultra rapid charging adding another 200 miles in a 25 minute coffee break, which will be needed after 300 to 500 miles driving, and paying much more for a complex less reliable hybrid becomes pointless. In any case, just like plain ic cars, hybrids will be banned in most countries in a few years time.

Meanwhile BMW have stopped making their hybrid range extender I3 model, battery power only from now on.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Hybrid is just not worth pursuing any more. The large new lineup of e-cars about to enter the market include many models that can be bought with genuine ranges from over 300 miles to 500 miles on some.

Add to that the ultra rapid charging adding another 200 miles in a 25 minute coffee break, which will be needed after 300 to 500 miles driving, and paying much more for a complex less reliable hybrid becomes pointless. In any case, just like plain ic cars, hybrids will be banned in most countries in a few years time.
I suspect that their advantages over pure petrol in stop-go traffic and lots of very short hops might give them a bit more life yet. And some countries might have even fewer chargers than the UK. But, overall, yes, they are probably on a downward curve.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I suspect that their advantages over pure petrol in stop-go traffic and lots of very short hops might give them a bit more life yet.
The trouble is the way most have implemented PHEV hybrid. something buyers often don't realise until they've bought. Their electric side is very low powered, falling far short of true e-cars so losing most of the attraction. Put your foot down to join a traffic stream and the petrol engine joins in, even though you've selected e-power only. And the PHEV's small battery short range is a bind, circa 25 miles means plugging in and unplugging every time you've used it. I'm not even plugging my Leaf in at all some weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: oyster

Advertisers