Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Back to HS2, or should I say, (HS so long as it's not too windy)2? I can't see it being allowed to operate at a massively higher speed in such conditions.

Network Rail has imposed a blanket speed restriction of 50mph across the network on Sunday, warning passengers to only travel by train that day "if absolutely necessary".

Last edited:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
It’s started. Corbyn’s communist Long-Bailey supporters have begun the smearing in order to shut down and eliminate the competition. Somethings never change.

The Labour party has formally reported members of Sir Keir Starmer's leadership campaign team to the Information Commissioner, accusing them of hacking into the party's membership database, the BBC has learned.
The allegations were made against two members of Sir Keir's team - one of them is his compliance official.
They were passed to the Information Commissioner's Office on Thursday.

Sir Keir and his team have strenuously denied the claims.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Really? In the Telegraph..

Boris looks at a Mansion Tax?
Tories eye mansion tax and raid on pensions
Party stunned as No 10 and Treasury discuss series of levies on better-off homeowners and workers primarily in the South East of England

Boris Johnson has been weighing up shock plans to impose a “mansion tax” on owners of expensive homes, in a move which will infuriate the Conservative Party’s grassroots and stun MPs.

Severe cuts to pension tax relief enjoyed by millions of voters are also being considered by the Prime Minister and his Chancellor, Sajid Javid, for the Budget next month in an effort to pay for a huge increase in public spending.

Two separate sources told The Telegraph that ideas to raise more tax from better-off homeowners had been discussed on separate occasions in the past few weeks at the highest levels of the Treasury and No 10.

Some Treasury officials are understood to be keen on introducing what has been described as a “recurring” wealth tax that would primarily affect London and the South East, possibly as a quid pro quo for cutting stamp duty....
Governments simply can’t leave pensions alone. They all eagerly eye-up that money which many people have scraped together over a lifetime of working. There is almost a softening up process going on, gently conditioning people to vilify anyone who has saved for a pension.

Even the Mail readers aren’t impressed, calling him Boris “Corbyn” Johnson.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Really? In the Telegraph..

Boris looks at a Mansion Tax?
Tories eye mansion tax and raid on pensions
Party stunned as No 10 and Treasury discuss series of levies on better-off homeowners and workers primarily in the South East of England

Boris Johnson has been weighing up shock plans to impose a “mansion tax” on owners of expensive homes, in a move which will infuriate the Conservative Party’s grassroots and stun MPs.

Severe cuts to pension tax relief enjoyed by millions of voters are also being considered by the Prime Minister and his Chancellor, Sajid Javid, for the Budget next month in an effort to pay for a huge increase in public spending.

Two separate sources told The Telegraph that ideas to raise more tax from better-off homeowners had been discussed on separate occasions in the past few weeks at the highest levels of the Treasury and No 10.

Some Treasury officials are understood to be keen on introducing what has been described as a “recurring” wealth tax that would primarily affect London and the South East, possibly as a quid pro quo for cutting stamp duty....
As a young child, I was aware of a large tin of floor polish at home. As I learned to read, I realised it was called Mansion Wax. But I had no idea what a mansion was so just took it as a branding (like Daz).

I still cannot see the word without thinking of the orange wax and the classic wax polish smell.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Governments simply can’t leave pensions alone. They all eagerly eye-up that money which many people have scraped together over a lifetime of working. There is almost a softening up process going on, gently conditioning people to vilify anyone who has saved for a pension.

Somewhat ironically, it also underlies justification for not raising the state pension - because everyone who was a proper worker would have poured money into a private pension. Those who, for whatever reason, do not have pots stashed in pension funds simpy do not deserve increases. They are lucky they get as much as they do.

So, you should have saved, if you didn't you don't deserve, and if you did, we'll take some away anyway.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It’s started. Corbyn’s communist Long-Bailey supporters have begun the smearing in order to shut down and eliminate the competition. Somethings never change.

The Labour party has formally reported members of Sir Keir Starmer's leadership campaign team to the Information Commissioner, accusing them of hacking into the party's membership database, the BBC has learned.
The allegations were made against two members of Sir Keir's team - one of them is his compliance official.
They were passed to the Information Commissioner's Office on Thursday.

Sir Keir and his team have strenuously denied the claims.
Know something? noting of interest here is there?
Who cares what the Labour party does? you should be watching what your hero's are up to, the latest stunt is to lower the income requirements for a immigrant's job from £30, 000 to £26,500
With the clear intention of tempting foreigners in in preference to our own kids.

Brilliant plan! reserve our own children for use as cheap labour?
Our Youth are going to like that "Bigly"
Ah well, when people are stupid enough to vote Conservative what do you get?

Something you never voted for,
Not a good start Boris
Brexit

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Er, didn't you vote for this clown?
Sorry but I'm laughing
You voted for a monkey
Now It is stealing your peanuts
And giving away jobs that should go to the next generation of our kids.
To save the cost of training them.

Not a good start to your "Twenty year Golden Age" Boris

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon

It was pension relief tax, not pensions. Taking money out of your pension is already taxed at the same rate as income.

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Er, didn't you vote for this clown?
Sorry but I'm laughing
You voted for a monkey
Now It is stealing your peanuts
And giving away jobs that should go to the next generation of our kids.
To save the cost of training them.

Not a good start to your "Twenty year Golden Age" Boris
Boris didn't invent any of those things. It's a shortsighted British government, of all flavours, disease. Boris is simply continuing the process after saying he wouldn't. But we knew he was a liar all along. Corbyn would have done the same and taken some other things as well.

I least I've got a bit of space to Corbyn proof myself now. Time to do a bit of hiding I think.

Last edited:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
It was pension relief tax, not pensions. Taking money out of your pension is already taxed at the same rate as income.
But it's another attack on pensions and another disincentive to save for your later years. This is the pinnacle of stupidity because it's deferring a massive problem down the line. All these people who have been disincentivized to invest in a pension will place an increased burden on the welfare system when they are older.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
In the Independent
Cabinet shuffle not as Cummings wanted
Some classic lines here, for example
"With Downing Street understood to have been impressed by Mr Shapps’ handling of the renationalisation of Northern Rail, the restoration of some branch lines closed by Beeching and the announcement of new cash for buses, the transport secretary will stay on his position to oversee what Mr Johnson regards as a vital priority area.

A Tory Government being impressed by reversals of it's own core principles!!

Reactions: oyster and Woosh

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Back to HS2, or should I say, (HS so long as it's not too windy)2? I can't see it being allowed to operate at a massviely higher speed in such conditions.

Network Rail has imposed a blanket speed restriction of 50mph across the network on Sunday, warning passengers to only travel by train that day "if absolutely necessary".
Cummings will have a cunning plan for that
HS2 will be entirely underground

Pretty obvious really..thinking out of the box..
Entirely Landscape friendly.. cheap too... (ish) :D

I mean look at the storming success they are making of that tunnel thingy under London!
The future of Britain is below ground level...

Last edited:

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Apparently according to this NHS advice
Coronavirus is actually GERMS not a Virus.?
HPA INFLUENZA PANDEMIC CONTINGENCY PLAN 2005 PDF

Some things will have been updated since then

Pandemic Influenza Plan 2016/17

6.1 Impact on workforce
It is estimated in a worst case scenario that up to 50% of the workforce may require time off at some stage over the entire period of the pandemic, with infected individuals likely to be absent for a period of seven to ten working days. Absenteeism should follow the pandemic profile, with an expectation that it will build to a peak lasting for two to three weeks, when between 15% and 20% of staff from the workforce may be absent, and then decline.
Additional staff absences are likely to result from other illnesses, taking time off to provide care for dependants (e.g. children), family bereavement, other psychosocial impacts, fear of infection or practical difficulties in getting to work.

6.3 Failure to attend work
Barnet CCGs expects that unless members of staff are unwell themselves, it will be exceptional for the member of staff to not be able to attend work in some capacity. Staff who do not attend work because they are unwell should follow the locally agreed sickness absence policy outlined to them at the beginning of an influenza pandemic. Staff who display symptoms should be sent home and advised not to work until fully recovered. Staff should also be informed in an appropriate way of the risks associated with pandemic influenza and what action they can take to protect themselves and others, and instructing them not to attend work when they are symptomatic but to attend work when they are well
Staff with caring responsibilities should be dealt with on a sympathetic basis but at the same time, Barnet CCG and staff should be working together to try and agree attendance at work in some capacity. Home working may be a feasible option for some staff. The nature of the support could vary, for example a mix of paid and unpaid leave, building on existing carers leave provisions. Some staff may be reluctant to come to work due to fear of infection. Initially, efforts should be made to convince staff to attend work by direct approaches from clinical colleagues and Occupational Health.
The level of anxiety that an influenza pandemic is likely to generate should be acknowledged and Barnet CCG should seek to persuade rather than penalise. However, Barnet CCG should not rule out the possibility of having to apply disciplinary action, subject to disciplinary policies and procedures for unauthorised absence or failure to follow a reasonable management instruction. Barnet CCG will need to recognise that some individuals may be deemed at ‘higher risk’ than others due to health conditions and special consideration may need to be given to these staff, including Occupational Health advice and support. For further advice, please contact the HR business partner at NEL CSU.
Every NHS organisation is required to have a Pandemic Influenza Lead to drive local pandemic influenza planning. The ultimate responsibility for pandemic preparedness and planning resides with Chief Executives as described in the Civil Contingencies Act 2004.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Boris didn't invent any of those things. It's a shortsighted British government, of all flavours, disease. Boris is simply continuing the process after saying he wouldn't. But we knew he was a liar all along. Corbyn would have done the same and taken some other things as well.

I least I've got a bit of space to Corbyn proof myself now. Time to do a bit of hiding I think.
Corbyn proof yourself? oh dear oh dear....o_O

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
so funny!
OG exceeds himself today!

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
But it's another attack on pensions and another disincentive to save for your later years. This is the pinnacle of stupidity because it's deferring a massive problem down the line. All these people who have been disincentivized to invest in a pension will place an increased burden on the welfare system when they are older.
But, and I say this as someone who put the max 40k/year in a pension fund, it isnt egalitarian that high earners get massive tax breaks (receiver gives circa 20k/year for nothing) while the rest pay

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I mean look at the storming success they are making of that tunnel thingy under London!
The future of Britain is below ground level...
Compared with most British public projects, Crossrail is very successful. The delay and additional cost are fraction of the norm in this field and like the London Underground, it will be a blessing for the next two centuries at least.

Amidst all the unfair attacking in the anti-London media, you may not have realised that Crossrail is mostly operational, including 41 stations:

May 2015: Liverpool Street to Shenfield (as TfL Rail) May 2018: Paddington to Heathrow Terminal 4 (as TfL Rail) December 2019: Paddington to Reading (as TfL Rail). It's just a central section that's being completed and still to open.

The past, present and future of London is certainly underground. As well as all the usual services, the London Underground and the Post Office Railway, we have the London ring water main, a tunnel large enough to take double decker buses, carrying water deep around London to feed the mains at various points. Deep under that there's the west to east Crossrail of course. Also under construction there's the Thames Tideway, another huge tunnel to carry sewage deep under London to the Beckton treatment plant, the first real update to Basiljet's Victorian sewer system.

And we'll be following with Crossrail 2 from north to south under London. Our current underground systems reach a maximum of 58.5 metres deep, so Crossrail 2 will probably take us to around 70 metres. We are sitting on a huge and complex honeycomb with a river system running over the top, which is what causes the construction difficulties of course.

Last edited:
  • Informative

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
so funny!
OG exceeds himself today!
Credit where it is due please
Without the man who said “the goodness will flow, “
This comedy double act wouldn’t work
I still cherish that immortal line
On the Internet nothing can ever be forgotten :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: oyster and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
More News
Ministers have ordered an emergency plan, with fears that coronavirus will cause China to shut down for months, leaving Britain without goods that are manufactured there.

Great comment on Twitter
Just remember that when you get the urge to pop bubble wrap, the air has come from China.

My reaction
With This Government interfering with the NHS
This is likely to prove not to be a problem, not enough of us will be left that there isn't enough junk to go round.:oops:

Reactions: oyster

Advertisers