Brexit, for once some facts.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
So, random question - I've had a DNA (I'm free, I'm free!) and found Danidl's post (about "local places" and "sticking things into oneself") arousing (as always). And a bit thought provoking. Pandemic aside, why are all of you still on soggy isle if you're free (as retirees) to be floating in any balmy ocean off any sun baked coast of your choice? I've been a bit of a serial migrant and can already feel the soft trade wind in martinique waking me up soon after early retirement.
I had 9 years roaming but based in South of, France... Was great but best place I enjoy ::sailing is Fraisthorpe, mountain biking Lady Bower and now with 4 grandkids Filey is way better than Jamaica or South of France.
Most folk reckoned in Village I sort of retired to (Laroque Des Alberes, France and Billy's, Bay Jamaica) ) that 9 years is about average for expats. It was great, glad we went but not missing it..
They don't show all downsides on post cards... Getting robbed twice in Northern Spain and getting chased by a crocodile on beach in Jamaica adds a whole new dimension to balmy sea breezes.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Pandemic aside, why are all of you still on soggy isle if you're free (as retirees)
we want to see our grand children grow and also to be near our aged Mum so we are stuck.
I do miss travelling though. My favourite country is Australia.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I had 9 years roaming but based in South of, France... Was great but best place I enjoy ::sailing is Fraisthorpe, mountain biking Lady Bower and now with 4 grandkids Filey is way better than Jamaica or South of France.
Most folk reckoned in Village I sort of retired to (Laroque Des Alberes, France and Billy's, Bay Jamaica) ) that 9 years is about average for expats. It was great, glad we went but not missing it..
They don't show all downsides on post cards... Getting robbed twice in Northern Spain and getting chased by a crocodile on beach in Jamaica adds a whole new dimension to balmy sea breezes.
Yes theres rough and smooth everywhere, here too of course (maybe I've had one too many consecutive English winter in a london - I dare anyone to take the 530 am tube in crammed with modern slaves and claim to be happy). And the carribean can be dodgy, but beautiful in ways that make time stop (perhaps I need another nine year expat fix)

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
we want to see our grand children grow and also to be near our aged Mum so we are stuck.
I do miss travelling though. My favourite country is Australia.
Yes there is that (though my family can do with some separation I feel), australia is great

Reactions: Woosh

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The Telegraph is rewriting History again to stop further lockdowns

Quarter of Covid deaths not caused by virus, new figures show Calls to speed up roadmap as data records people dying 'with' disease rather than 'from it

This was likely true of the Black Death too

Gerald Bell@GOldcodger

Replying to
@brexit_sham
So only a quarter died of Covid, did they? Amazing how it escapes them that either this is not true. or the Wurzel Gummidge look alike PM wrecked the economy on purpose to cover up the Brexit disaster. Take your pick, it must be one or the other!

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: oyster and Woosh

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

Quarter of Covid deaths not caused by virus, new figures show Calls to speed up roadmap as data records people dying 'with' disease rather than 'from it

Gerald Bell@GOldcodger

Replying to
@brexit_sham
So only a quarter died of Covid, did they? Amazing how it escapes them that either this is not true. or the Wurzel Gummidge look alike PM wrecked the economy on purpose to cover up the Brexit disaster. Take your pick, it must be one or the other!
Umm, am I missing your point? Doesn't it mean three-quarters did die of Covid - rather than a quarter?

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I see the UK is expanding mixed vaccine trails - recruiting for (AZ or Pfizer + Moderna) and (AZ or Pfizer + Novavax). (Centres are too far away for me to volunteer.)

While Germany is switching all under-50s who have had only one AZ vaccination to a second of Pfizer or Moderna. Without trials having been completed that show equivalent (or better) protection.

And China is trialling the mixing of Sinovac and Pfizer.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Umm, am I missing your point? Doesn't it mean three-quarters did die of Covid - rather than a quarter?
There's always some party pooper comes along ...
No it's this keebord again, it doesn't agree with what I'm trying to say, or even saying what I'm trying to mean, it you follow my drift.

Do not adjust your reality
Normality is cancelled permanently in Brexit Britain
I've just joined everyone else in not knowing what the heck I'm talking about. :cool:

Reactions: flecc and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I see the UK is expanding mixed vaccine trails - recruiting for (AZ or Pfizer + Moderna) and (AZ or Pfizer + Novavax). (Centres are too far away for me to volunteer.)

While Germany is switching all under-50s who have had only one AZ vaccination to a second of Pfizer or Moderna. Without trials having been completed that show equivalent (or better) protection.

And China is trialling the mixing of Sinovac and Pfizer.
My colleague Sarah Marsh has a fuller report on the UK study into mixing Covid vaccines between jabs being expanded. Particularly worth noting are the words of Professor Jeremy Brown, a member of the UK’s Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation.

He has told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme this morning that people will eventually “have to” mix Covid-19 jabs.

It’s practically going to have to be that way because, once you’ve completed a course of, say, the Moderna or Pfizer or the AstraZeneca with two doses, in the future it’s going to be quite difficult to guarantee you get the same type of vaccine again.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/apr/14/coronavirus-live-news-india-posts-record-new-cases-germany-wont-give-second-astrazeneca-dose-to-under-60s

Given that some considerable time ago, they were referring to an updated AZ vaccine being used as a booster from September (or thereabouts), we can imagine that current AZ would then not be available. So even keeping to one company's product, we could and probably will end up mixing actual vaccines!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Gerald Bell@GOldcodger

Replying to
@brexit_sham
As Oyster says, you've misread, the Telegraph only claim a quarter of the deaths were not due to Covid.

I've a lot of sympathy with that view, as I've long posted, the Covid death figures are greatly exaggerated. That's in part by the very silly 28 day ruling, in part by the sheer convenience of blaming Covid when the cause of death is uncertain as it so often is.

France has long had a similar problem. To allow for uncertain cause of death, their doctors are allowed to enter "Sudden death" as the cause. As a result and unsurprisingly, some 40% of their deaths are registered as "Sudden death".

Such convenient cop-outs always distort reporting.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
As Oyster says, you've misread, the Telegraph only claim a quarter of the deaths were not due to Covid.

I've a lot of sympathy with that view, as I've long posted, the Covid death figures are greatly exaggerated. That's in part by the very silly 28 day ruling, in part by the sheer convenience of blaming Covid when the cause of death is uncertain as it so often is.

France has long had a similar problem. To allow for uncertain cause of death, their doctors are allowed to enter "Sudden death" as the cause. As a result and unsurprisingly, some 40% of their death s are registered as "Sudden death".

Such convenient cop-outs always distort reporting.
The 28 day rule is nonsense. But we also run the risk of missing those who die later - of whom there appear to be quite a number.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The 28 day rule is nonsense. But we also run the risk of missing those who die later - of whom there appear to be quite a number.
I think that's difficult to say, especially when so many of them are elderly and in the age region of likelyhood of death before long anyway.

The sheer convenience of putting death down to Covid is I'm sure the big distorter as that 40% French example shows. When that was briefly studied by a group of our doctors and French ones, it was found that the majority of those "Sudden deaths" were in fact due to heart attacks.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I understand there were big distortions both ways in the US. Some states had extra funds that meant you could gain financially by putting Covid on the certificate. Other states were Covid deniers and made it very difficult to name Covid.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Looks like vaccine passports will inevitably come to pass.

Denmark has announced that they will allow easier travel/visiting for those who have been vaccinated. Limited, for now to Schengen and neighbours. But as more countries decide that is an option for them so there will be more pressure to have a vaccine passport mechanism in place. And once there, little will stop more and more people and organisations demanding sight of them.

The alternative, not having any system, might result in much restriction on UK citizens travelling abroad.

Far from having control - we will be forced into this by the combined power of every other country in the world.

Just adding: There is talk of care home workers being compelled to be vaccinated. As we have discussed already, we currently have no formal mechanism for proof to be made available.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Nev and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Amsterdam courts still impact UK cases. Indeed, the majority of the case is based on what happened in the UK.

Uber fired drivers automatically for alleged misconduct - sharing their app.

A certain neat symmetry that Uber are now whinging about the court case being an automatic judgement.

Court tells Uber to reinstate five UK drivers sacked by automated process
Ruling in Amsterdam overturns company’s decision to exclude operators for alleged sharing of account details

An Uber spokesperson said: “Uber only became aware of this default judgment last week, due to representatives for the ADCU not following proper legal procedure. With no knowledge of the case, the court handed down a default judgment in our absence, which was automatic and not considered.”
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/apr/14/court-tells-uber-to-reinstate-five-uk-drivers-sacked-by-automated-process

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Looks like vaccine passports will inevitably come to pass.

Denmark has announced that they will allow easier travel/visiting for those who have been vaccinated. Limited, for now to Schengen and neighbours. But as more countries decide that is an option for them so there will be more pressure to have a vaccine passport mechanism in place. And once there, little will stop more and more people and organisations demanding sight of them.

The alternative, not having any system, might result in much restriction on UK citizens travelling abroad.

Far from having control - we will be forced into this by the combined power of every other country in the world.

Just adding: There is talk of care home workers being compelled to be vaccinated. As we have discussed already, we currently have no formal mechanism for proof to be made available.
Further:

An NHS trust in England is planning to make Covid-19 vaccinations part of staff contracts, it has been reported. A letter from the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital Foundation Trust in London that is set to go out to staff is said to state: “We will be making Covid vaccination mandatory for all our employees and it will form part of the employment contract.”

Without an agreed mechanism for proving vaccination, how will they manage to enforce that?

Reactions: jonathan.agnew

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Fun in big Pharma land
I.T.M.A is at it again

Sir John Bell says if Denmark gets hit by the Kent variant in the same way as Germany and France then "they will have a lot of dead people. Many, many, many more dead people than they would have had if they'd used the AstraZeneca vaccine"

Alternatively
Denmark said it was able to halt the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine because it had the pandemic under control and could rely on two other vaccines, from Pfizer and Moderna.

Hmmmm!

Oxymoron warning...
How on Earth does a Bell get to be a sir? :D

• Informative
Reactions: oyster and Woosh

Advertisers