Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I wonder if city e-cars should have smaller batteries and fast charging capability.
That would lower the weight and price.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I wonder if city e-cars should have smaller batteries and fast charging capacity.
We used to see lots of Transits (and other vans and pick-ups) hauling compressors. Don't actually know why it seems so much rarer nowadays!

Imagine that, instead of dangling on a classic towbar, the compressor actually attached more like an artic. Maybe the van could have a bit of its floor scooped out to allow the compressor to be almost enclosed by the rear bodywork of the van. But, at least the compressor would have its own wheels and brakes.

Now re-imagine that as a battery pack. Buy a small-ish car with modest capacity - I actually don't often drive much more than 60 miles in a day. But, when I decide to go to Cardiff, I can hire a battery pack. Go to depot, attach, and off I go. Potentially a massive increase in range. Might also allow a significant increase in performance. After all, it is next to impossible legally to drive at 70 mph in my county but on longer runs on motorway, that would be desirable.

I've probably drivelled this before - but I still think something like this is feasible. Even allows the potential for a hydrogen fuel cell power pack rather than battery.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wonder if city e-cars should have smaller batteries and fast charging capability.
That is happening, Honda have introduced a City car with a maximum range of just 137 miles, half that of the current market and charge to 80% in 31 minutes, yet still with snappy acceleration, 8.3 seconds 0 to 60 mph.

Information Link

And most other e-car makers are offering a small battery version of their models whicn will easily suit the lower mileage motorist.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Now re-imagine that as a battery pack. Buy a small-ish car with modest capacity - I actually don't often drive much more than 60 miles in a day. But, when I decide to go to Cardiff, I can hire a battery pack. Go to depot, attach, and off I go. Potentially a massive increase in range. Might also allow a significant increase in performance. After all, it is next to impossible legally to drive at 70 mph in my county but on longer runs on motorway, that would be desirable.
Too much loss from drag in towing, the weight saving not spectacular and 70 mph towing not allowed. After all, weight doesn't count at a constant speed, only when accelerating and climbing, and long runs tend to have plenty of constant speed running.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Too much loss from drag in towing, the weight saving not spectacular and 70 mph towing not allowed. After all, weight doesn't count at a constant speed, only when accelerating and climbing, and long runs tend to have plenty of constant speed running.
If enclosed, it will make minimal difference to drag.

Special rules for special circumstances. If the unit is designed for the purpose, a suitable exemption could be enacted.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
We used to see lots of Transits (and other vans and pick-ups) hauling compressors. Don't actually know why it seems so much rarer nowadays!

Imagine that, instead of dangling on a classic towbar, the compressor actually attached more like an artic. Maybe the van could have a bit of its floor scooped out to allow the compressor to be almost enclosed by the rear bodywork of the van. But, at least the compressor would have its own wheels and brakes.

I've probably drivelled this before - but I still think something like this is feasible. Even allows the potential for a hydrogen fuel cell power pack rather than battery.
I could see the hydrogen tank fuel cell as being the add in extra. .. Say available from those nationwide tool hire companies. Say as a roof rack extra, trickle feeding the lithium battery. Even flecc could then travel down to Cornwall in his leaf. Tootle around for his holliers and then hire another for the return journey. The only custom bit is the electrical connector..and even they are sort of standardized.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If enclosed, it will make minimal difference to drag.

Special rules for special circumstances. If the unit is designed for the purpose, a suitable exemption could be enacted.
I meant tyre drag which is very real. Wind drag at up to 50 mph isn't much of a problem as you say.

I maintain it simply isn't worth it. You still have to have a fair size battery in the car, the market has already proved that under 60 miles range is completely unacceptable. That's only good for a 40 mile round trip to leave safe reserve, so up to 20 miles away. No-one is going to want to have to hitch a trailer and plug it in for such short trips.

You're also adding trailer weight and battery weight for a given capacity, since two batteries for that weigh more than one battery due to cases, connectors, BMS etc.

And finally it reduces the efficiency. The lack of a gear box means e-cars have to be designed to their average gross weight, and that is why they are not equipped to be able to tow, any attempt cancelling the warranty. A small e-car designed to a higher weight to accommodate the trailer, when running around without it would have higher consumption due to lower efficiency.

That's also why the heavy electric trucks have a gearbox like IC ones, since their payload greatly increases their weight so changes their most efficient settings.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Even flecc could then travel down to Cornwall in his leaf.
Only mad people do that, the traffic to the West Country in good weather is a nightmare. The authorities gave up trying to do anything to relieve it many years ago. Since then they content themselves with road signs saying "Delays Likely", then relax with a clear conscience having done their duty as they see it.

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
And finally it reduces the efficiency. The lack of a gear box means e-cars have to be designed to their average gross weight, and that is why they are not equipped to be able to tow, any attempt cancelling the warranty. A small e-car designed to a higher weight to accommodate the trailer, when running around without it would have higher consumption due to lower efficiency.
Is this not an opportunity for some enterprising trailer/caravan manufacturers to develop a self powered unit which simply overcomes the rolling resistance and drag of the caravan/trailer and uses regen braking etc. I'm sure cost would be an issue but the size of some of these things should mean space for the batteries wouldn't be a problem.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Is this not an opportunity for some enterprising trailer/caravan manufacturers to develop a self powered unit which simply overcomes the rolling resistance and drag of the caravan/trailer and uses regen braking etc. I'm sure cost would be an issue but the size of some of these things should mean space for the batteries wouldn't be a problem.
You're right, campervans will come, but it's too early yet. We've only just got a good range of vans and the odd people carriers arriving so manufacturers are struggling already with the changeover to e-power, while still making ICE equivalents.

So all in good time.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
That is an approach taken with the Honda E and Mazda MX30. Both models have been criticised for lack of range, but as the manufacturers point out more range means a larger, heavier battery and consequentially longer charging times. A range of over 100 miles is hardly a requirement for a car operating in an urban environment.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
After another e-scooter accident, this time in a London park, a little 3 year old girl has been left with life changing injuries after an e-scooter ran into her.

LINK

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
These Scooters are doing what Drones have done to the model aircraft hobby.

I can assure you no good will come from them. I think we can expect to see more restrictions placed on our activities due to the unlawful use of these things. Trust me the powers that be will eventually take a broad brush which will affect us all.. :rolleyes:

Electric pedal cycles have to be "pedalled" under the law, scooters should have to be "scooted", perhaps if these morons actually had to put some effort into propelling them along they wouldn't be anywhere near as "rampant" on our streets and footpaths. (JMO).

TTFN
John.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can assure you no good will come from them. I think we can expect to see more restrictions placed on our activities due to the unlawful use of these things. Trust me the powers that be will eventually take a broad brush which will affect us all.. :rolleyes:
After today's statement by the DfT I still disagree. They have said after this latest accident that at the end of the year they will collate all the information on e-scooters and then make a decision on whether to legalise them or not. They added that safety is paramount.

That is the issue, legalising e-scooters or not, absolutely nothing to do with pedelecs which are no part of it.

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
After today's statement by the DfT I still disagree. They have said after this latest accident that at the end of the year they will collate all the information on e-scooters and then make a decision on whether to legalise them or not. They added that safety is paramount.

That is the issue, legalising e-scooters or not, absolutely nothing to do with pedelecs which are no part of it.
I really hope you are correct but I remember similar sentiment expressed in aeromodelling circles a few years ago and it didn't go well. Most of them are being used illegally currently, it's like expecting murderers to register firearms.

TTFN
John

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I really hope you are correct but I remember similar sentiment expressed in aeromodelling circles a few years ago and it didn't go well. Most of them are being used illegally currently, it's like expecting murderers to register firearms.

TTFN
John
My opinion is that escooters will be legalised. They might be speed limited to 5 mph for footpath use. I can see them as a valuable addition to the" last mile " in urban areas and the last 2 miles in suburban areas. They fit in seats and backpacks , and in bus storage bins , where our ebikes cannot

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
They might be speed limited to 5 mph for footpath use.
Just how are they going to achieve this? If it is just a legal requirement, it will get ignored. If it is a technical requirement, it might prove more difficult that many would think. And is likely to be easy enough to work round, even if it takes a while for workable techniques to get well known.

What I thoroughly disagree with is the idea that only companies can operate them. Effectively barring anyone who doesn't live in one or other of the larger conurbations from using them.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My opinion is that escooters will be legalised. They might be speed limited to 5 mph for footpath use. I can see them as a valuable addition to the" last mile " in urban areas and the last 2 miles in suburban areas. They fit in seats and backpacks , and in bus storage bins , where our ebikes cannot
5 mph limit isn't viable for two wheel balance and complete control over distance, especially on tiny scooter wheels. The Japanese, ever thorough, have ruled 12 kph ( 7.5 mph ) maximum on pavements for all types of bicycles where pavement use is permitted or compulsory and that seems to be safe for them.

Having seen how our public are behaving on them, I hope they are not legalised for any use whatsoever. Today's English people at least are simply not sufficiently law abiding or sensible enough.

I don't even see e-scooters as useful, since there is no carrying capacity for any shopping or luggage, however slight, and making up for that with backpacking makes them even more dangerous with the increase in the already high overall C of G.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've just got back from my Sainsburys superstore. All of the customers were masked but none of the staff were.

It will be interesting to see whether the customers will continue masking given these negative influences.
Earlier in the week I posted the above.

Wanting to leave tomorrow clear I did the weekend shop today in the same store and a little over half of the customers were not wearing masks. So their 100% voluntary masking didn't last long.

Advertisers