Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Unfortunately that is exactly what I am saying . The Delta variant has outcompeted every other CV19 version present currently.. So yes . Basically when talking about CV 19 , worldwide we are basically talking about Delta. The various national reference laboratories are sequencing samples continually, and while it is inevitable that there will be newer variants , and of course some people are getting infections from multiple variants The earliest strains had a typical viral load , and measurements of Delta show it to be 1200 times the viral payload on average of the Wuhan 2019 species. Now it didn't get this way in a single step and the intermediate strains were factors of 3 to 10 up on the original .... So three sets of evolutionary jumps we arrive at 1000.
I thought Lambda was prevalent in Peru? And there have been cases of individuals infected with two different strains simultaneously.

What is the newly found COVID-19 'Epsilon variant' in Pakistan? - Details inside

And what happened to zeta, eta, theta, iota and kappa? :)

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Unfortunately that is exactly what I am saying . The Delta variant has outcompeted every other CV19 version present currently.. So yes . Basically when talking about CV 19 , worldwide we are basically talking about Delta. The various national reference laboratories are sequencing samples continually, and while it is inevitable that there will be newer variants , and of course some people are getting infections from multiple variants The earliest strains had a typical viral load , and measurements of Delta show it to be 1200 times the viral payload on average of the Wuhan 2019 species. Now it didn't get this way in a single step and the intermediate strains were factors of 3 to 10 up on the original .... So three sets of evolutionary jumps we arrive at 1000.
But the infections haven't risen to the widely predicted 50,000 a day, it's currently about half that, the hospitals are saying they are coping ok and deaths stay low,

So the recent panicking has been overdone once again. Time to remain calm and just carry on with the current moderate precautions most of us are still practicing, which seem to be working just fine.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I see Johnson is as tactful as ever.

Margaret Thatcher gave the UK "a big early start" in the move away from coal-fired power by closing "so many coal mines", Boris Johnson has said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58107009

He really is the pits.
What the greased piglet forgets it we then had to import cheap quality coal from abroad with a higher pollution effect from then on!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Margaret Thatcher gave the UK "a big early start" in the move away from coal-fired power by closing "so many coal mines", Boris Johnson has said.

He really is the pits.
What she really did was switch the power stations from our clean burning anthracite coal to the dirtiest burning lignite coal imported from such as South America, thus making a major contribution to climate change and general pollution over the next three decades.

N.B. Crossed with OG's post above.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I thought Lambda was prevalent in Peru? And there have been cases of individuals infected with two different strains simultaneously.

What is the newly found COVID-19 'Epsilon variant' in Pakistan? - Details inside

And what happened to zeta, eta, theta, iota and kappa? :)
As I stated .. Delta is the current big one , with 4 in 5 cases or higher being it... 80% to 95% of current cases.
Lambda is potentially very serious because of vaccine resistance, ..but is not as prevalent .. and less viral load.
Epsilon is slipping down the rankings of importance.
There is no biological reason why any individual cannot be infected by multiple strains simultaneously. The Viruses are not in a trade union.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
There is no biological reason why any individual cannot be infected by multiple strains simultaneously. The Viruses are not in a trade union.
I have read about several people who have been infected with at least two strains at the same time. I imagine it has happened quite a lot but has not been identified.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I have read about several people who have been infected with at least two strains at the same time. I imagine it has happened quite a lot but has not been identified.
I know of cases of reinfection (with delta) with more severe consequences because of the damage of the original infection (a patient who suffered lung damage during the first infection necessitating a transplant after the second). But I completely respect the views of those on the thread who, like boris, on the back of a few sunny midsummer weeks and still paranoid popultion observing distancing think the variants will, like good law observing union members, stop mutating and leave us In peace*
*my fat bottle I do

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
But the infections haven't risen to the widely predicted 50,000 a day, it's currently about half that, the hospitals are saying they are coping ok and deaths stay low,

So the recent panicking has been overdone once again. Time to remain calm and just carry on with the current moderate precautions most of us are still practicing, which seem to be working just fine.
I wouldn't be complacent. The UKs 7 day Average was 45K in late July and today was at 30K . If people are holidaying they may be ignoring symptoms. But certainly the vaccinations are cutting down in deaths and ICU interventions.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's currently about half that because the PCR tests are now about half (670,000) what they were at the beginning of July (1.05 million 7 days average).
If you don't look, you don't see.
I am bothered about the test racket currently costing a lot of money to families. Grant Shapps tried to justify the measure by saying it's because they need to check for variants. As it happens, less than 5% of positive cases are sequenced. Those who got a positive test result will still have to do proper tests again by the NHS.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Even at times that I disagree with Drakeford, his maturity is a blessed contrast to England/UK.

Welsh leader rules out ‘threatening’ young people to get Covid jab
Mark Drakeford contrasts approach with Boris Johnson as Wales prepares to scrap most restrictions

He told BBC’s Today programme: “So our appeal to young people is not one that threatens them by saying you won’t be able to do things or tries to induce them by offering prizes but just says to them: ‘You have a contribution to make. You can keep yourself but also other people that matter to you safe.’”

Wales had succeed in vaccinating more people in that younger cohort than in other parts of the UK, said Drakeford, who added: “We think the better way to persuade young people to play their part is to appeal to that sense of being part of a Wales-wide effort to keep ourselves safe from the virus and we think that is succeeding.”
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/aug/06/welsh-leader-rules-out-threatening-young-people-to-get-covid-jab-mark-drakeford

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Even at times that I disagree with Drakeford, his maturity is a blessed contrast to England/UK.

Welsh leader rules out ‘threatening’ young people to get Covid jab
Mark Drakeford contrasts approach with Boris Johnson as Wales prepares to scrap most restrictions

He told BBC’s Today programme: “So our appeal to young people is not one that threatens them by saying you won’t be able to do things or tries to induce them by offering prizes but just says to them: ‘You have a contribution to make. You can keep yourself but also other people that matter to you safe.’”

Wales had succeed in vaccinating more people in that younger cohort than in other parts of the UK, said Drakeford, who added: “We think the better way to persuade young people to play their part is to appeal to that sense of being part of a Wales-wide effort to keep ourselves safe from the virus and we think that is succeeding.”
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/aug/06/welsh-leader-rules-out-threatening-young-people-to-get-covid-jab-mark-drakeford
Exactly what I've been advocating all along. Threatening with the law and heavy fines is just plain stupid. Just make the people be aware of the risks to themselves and everyone around them and the best way to deal with that and they will do the rest.

All Matt Hancock achieved with his ever increasing enforcement was to breed a large army of disbelievers on the one hand and over reactors out of the pessimists on the other hand.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wouldn't be complacent. The UKs 7 day Average was 45K in late July and today was at 30K . If people are holidaying they may be ignoring symptoms. But certainly the vaccinations are cutting down in deaths and ICU interventions.
That's the stuff, always go looking for the worst possible numbers! :)

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
That's the stuff, always go looking for the worst possible numbers! :)
Well the pessimists are always realists, and the optimists are idealistic. The irony is that ultimately the optimistic viewpoint win the future.. because they dream.

Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Round here few are taking precautions
Too early to be confident all is well, it's quite possible the figures are like Trump's tax returns
Hull Covid latest

Lincolnshire isn't doing very well either
Lincoln tops tops Uk infection rates

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

He really is the pits.
Reported responses:

Starmer said the prime minister hadshown his true colours yet again” and called for him to apologise.

He said: “For Boris Johnson to laugh when talking about the closure of the coalmines is a slap in the face for communities still suffering from the devastating effects of Margaret Thatcher’s callous actions.

“I’m proud to have always stood with our coalfield communities. I represented the miners in court as the Tories tried to close the pits. These communities contributed so much to the success of our country, and then were abandoned.

“The Tories didn’t care then, and they don’t care now. For Boris Johnson to treat the pain and suffering caused to our coalfield communities as a punchline shows just how out of touch with working people he is.”

Drakeford added his rebuke to the prime minister, highlighting the economic scarring suffered across swathes of Wales by the decline of coal. He told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “I’m afraid that those remarks are both crass and offensive. The damage done to Welsh coalmining areas 30 years ago was incalculable and here we are 30 years later, the Tories are still celebrating what they did.”

• Agree
Reactions: wheeler and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I am trying to show empathy in my Twitter responses as here.
Topic: EU drivers leaving the UK"

phillipfragrance @gasolinephillip

https://twitter.com/gasolinephillip
·They’re all collectively doing this just to spite us. I have an Estonian mate who said they were instructed to do this at the last meeting.

Gerald Bell @GOldcodger
https://twitter.com/GOldcodger
Replying to

@gasolinephillip
and
@mrjamesob

And I have a friend who says he has a photo of Queen Victoria's wooden leg :cool:

Advertisers