Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Show me where in the two Covid regulations that Office Parties are forbidden in law.

They are not, all workplaces are specifically excluded from that gatherings law.
You are correct, I just checked the National Archives, however an invitation "Bring your own booze" carries the inference that people travelled to a social gather which was against the law
The Editor of the Sun was there and he for once (no doubt there were plenty of others who don't work there either)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Breakthrough infections with SARS-CoV-2 omicron despite mRNA vaccine booster dose

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
oh well covid is now over as boris said so :p and im still not dead :p

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You are correct, I just checked the National Archives, however an invitation "Bring your own booze" carries the inference that people travelled to a social gather which was against the law
The Editor of the Sun was there and he for once (no doubt there were plenty of others who don't work there either)
But I've already explained long ago that an office includes all manner of people who are legitimately there in the course of their work, such as service engineers, postal workers, cleaners, messengers etc.

In the case of a government office a journalist like that editor I'd certainly expect, doing the dirty work for that other party, the Tory political one.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You know it, I know it, Boris Johnson knows it, flecc doesn't :)
Yes they can be, and in the case of 10 Downing Street, the garden is part of the office. Don't you remember that presentation for the media of Nick Clegg and David Cameron embarrassingly pretending to be friends in their new coalition, in the garden of number 10, their office:

They look as though they are having a party !

Is that a glass of gin I see?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

note they never used the covid regs as would have lost the case as guidance is not the law!

id say im not paying it send me to prison as it will cost even more, plus if you put me in prison with a terrorist ill sue the crap out of you.

if you have money a uk prison is a hotel room you can upgrade and drugs on tap supplied buy g4s security staff :p

Mrs Honeyman

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2021
Yes they can be, and in the case of 10 Downing Street, the garden is part of the office. Don't you remember that presentation for the media of Nick Clegg and David Cameron embarrassingly pretending to be friends in their new coalition, in the garden of number 10, their office:

They look as though they are having a party !

Is that a glass of gin I see?
The garden was in use as a work space on that occasion. On the day of the party, the garden was a party venue. It is possible for a space to be used for different activities. Just because it has been used for business previously does not mean it can never ever be used for any other type of activity, that’s preposterous.

Here is an example from my place of work (before retiring): The aircraft hangar was a place of work. It housed the aircraft, daily aircraft safety checks were carried out there, and minor engineering tasks were performed. In no way could it be deemed a party venue. It was used for work purposes almost 100% of the time.

A few years ago, a colleague retired and we held a leaving party for him in the hangar. Food, drink and music was laid on. We had been working from 08:00 to 18:00. The party started at 18:00 and from that moment onwards, the hangar was no longer a working environment. It was a party venue. Had covid restrictions been in place, we could not have held that party. It would have breached the rules and we would have definitely been sacked.

What I have described is exactly what happened in the Downing Street garden. The working day ended and a party / social gathering with drinks, music and behaviour which damaged property began. All in breach of the Prime Ministers own rules, which he had read out on national tv. The party also had his approval / blessing. He’s lied to parliament about it and he must resign or be removed from office.

It’s not a witch hunt, it’s holding people to account and making them responsible for their actions.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
All in breach of the Prime Ministers own rules, which he had read out on national tv. The party also had his approval / blessing. He’s lied to parliament about it and he must resign or be removed from office.
And once again walk away and escape responsibility, as he's been doing all his life, bouncing back later in another position of responsibility causing chaos. Secretary of the Oxford Union, Successive newspaper editorships, Member of Parliament, London Mayor twice, MP for a second time, Brexit Campaign leader, Foreign Secretary and now Prime Minister.

It’s not a witch hunt, it’s holding people to account and making them responsible for their actions.
Fine, on a sensible issue where he's failing so badly, rather than this unimportant non-event. The best way to hold him to account then is to make him do his job properly for once in his life, instead of being able to run away again and rely on the stupidity of the English Public to allow him to repeat his behaviour in another senior position.

Last edited:

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
oh well covid is now over as boris said so :p and im still not dead :p
hubris. hannah horka thought same:
only cure for hubris is burning ones wings. can be terminal. Remember as young man walking down lovely tropical road in Maputo thinking, what the **** is it with all the paranoid tourists who wont leave the hotel? Then noticed bloke with machete.
I hope for your sake its not.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The garden was in use as a work space on that occasion. On the day of the party, the garden was a party venue. It is possible for a space to be used for different activities. Just because it has been used for business previously does not mean it can never ever be used for any other type of activity, that’s preposterous.

Here is an example from my place of work (before retiring): The aircraft hangar was a place of work. It housed the aircraft, daily aircraft safety checks were carried out there, and minor engineering tasks were performed. In no way could it be deemed a party venue. It was used for work purposes almost 100% of the time.

A few years ago, a colleague retired and we held a leaving party for him in the hangar. Food, drink and music was laid on. We had been working from 08:00 to 18:00. The party started at 18:00 and from that moment onwards, the hangar was no longer a working environment. It was a party venue. Had covid restrictions been in place, we could not have held that party. It would have breached the rules and we would have definitely been sacked.

What I have described is exactly what happened in the Downing Street garden. The working day ended and a party / social gathering with drinks, music and behaviour which damaged property began. All in breach of the Prime Ministers own rules, which he had read out on national tv. The party also had his approval / blessing. He’s lied to parliament about it and he must resign or be removed from office.

It is always say that in Politics when you are explaining you are losing ..and that is the position that flecc is now in. Compared with the real problems the UK has this Party is really small beer, but its always the little things that trip one up. .
We in Ireland have had two such similar events affecting our great and good.
The first called Golf Gate involved a dinner for the Parliamentary Golf Club .. including Political correspondents. The then current rules allowed gatherings of up to 50 persons in a single venue. Well the hotel had close to 100 at the same event,but with a nominally closed partition between the A and B groups . That cost the most high profile EU Commissioner his job.,and a High Court Judge a lot of credibility.
The second is now happening. Ireland was angling for a place on the UN Security Council and the civil servants working on the deal were pulling an all nighter . Decidedly Workplace located. Well Ireland got the vote earlier than expected ,and it didn't need to go to an extra ballot. So the bottle of champagne came out. , And photographs taken. The Minister in Charge was not present but has been called to account this week.

Advertisers