Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
No, you would switch off unused circuits at RCD box. Just leave kitchen or an emergency few points for use. Circuits nowadays must be totally isolated.. (or even lights) (the circuit you tapped into would be only live one, it wouldn't power every circuit, but if you wanted to utilise main feed, you would simply get system to shut down unwanted circuits, I bet somebody is already supplying unit)
But you are getting into a nightmare of regulations with new editions every year. Mine lapsed 8 years ago, but suspect if you jury rigged as she recommends or did it yourself in way I suggested your insurance will be void. Qualified electrician in house, and do it right.
Could easily be part of outside charging point. Just reversing. (correct voltage inverter built into RCD box)
Voltage sensing switches it would be easy enough to do it correctly. My mate fits emergency back up battery systems in hospitals and computer systems. They can switch over and never lose power. Coronation Street doesn't even flicker as it switches from mains to battery. (his words not mine) Just wants doing properly.
I, d guess Woosh knows a fair bit about it.
Woosh wouldn't be the only one... Modern fridges can have much less start up currents than older models , so the 1KW inverter can work. The game changer is that LED lighting power is very low . Fully agree with you that its a kludge... . However I might be prepared to do something similar to power the oil burner Central Heater , if the mains power failed. . Its on a totally separate system and a single flexible plug lead can energise it. .. However it would require the diesel engine to be running..

Reactions: Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Woosh wouldn't be the only one... Modern fridges can have much less start up currents than older models , so the 1KW inverter can work. The game changer is that LED lighting power is very low . Fully agree with you that its a kludge... . However I might be prepared to do something similar to power the oil burner Central Heater , if the mains power failed. . Its on a totally separate system and a single flexible plug lead can energise it. .. However it would require the diesel engine to be running..
Didn't realise they had developed pumps yet that could initialise on continuous running power.
Checked our recently bought Hisense fridge freezer and it demands upto 13 amps start up.. (for fridge, freezer is 5)
Electricians being King's of belt, braces and a spare means of holding your trousers up think you, ll find even the most daring of them would suggest 3000w as a minimum for fridge freezers.
I, m sorry Danidl but running any domestic fridge on a 1000w inverter is asking for trouble. Yep, there may be a few about that can but it's the exception proving the rule.
Screenshot_20220314_184245.jpg

This is from current guide.Pardon the pun.
I certainly wouldn't anyway and actually doubt you would. Have a look back of your fridge,or better still try it with a generator.
We had a fairly modern fridge on last barge and it would stall our 2kw geny. OK on hook up or when engine was running..
Can't really see point of under engineering it either. A 3kw inverter would definetly work, a 2kw might, a 1kw would for a week or 2.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Not yet here as a kit, but Ovo Energy are running a trial of "Vehicle to Grid" and the government is keen on the idea. We need a lot more than our present 440,000 pure battery cars yet though to make it worth a lot more investment.

In both Japan and Denmark vehicle to grid is quite widespread, basically using cheap night time electricity to charge which then gets sold back to the grid at a higher price when the car isn't going to be used. In Denmark that becomes a deduction from the home electricity bill.
it seems that the market for V2H systems is still in its infancy. Only recent Nissan e-cars can do V2H, other cars can only be charged, not discharged through their charging socket.
Prices seem high for these units, a ChAdeMO V2H 7KW unit costs well over £3,000 for what is essentially an inverter.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
it seems that the market for V2H systems is still in its infancy. Only recent Nissan e-cars can do V2H, other cars can only be charged, not discharged through their charging socket.
Prices seem high for these units, a ChAdeMO V2H 7KW unit costs well over £3,000 for what is essentially an inverter.
Yes, and why I remarked to Zlatan that one might as well go for a home powerwall installation with PV panels on the roof. Dearer but with payback over at least 15 years and plenty of emergency power for power outages.

All Nissan Leafs have always been capable of Vehicle to Grid through their ChAdeMO charging sockets, hence Japan and Denmark having the system well established. Their cost for V to G must be a tiny fraction of that £3K for it to pay them to have it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Yes, and why I remarked to Zlatan that one might as well go for a home powerwall installation with PV panels on the roof. Dearer but with payback over at least 15 years and plenty of emergency power for power outages.
There was a video from one of the vendors, the guy drove his Nissan to the building site, plugged his jack hammer to his CHAdeMO and started digging. It was an easy sell.
I expect the price will come down maybe toward £1,000-£1,500 with wider adoption of the CHAdeMO system by other car manufacturers.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
There was a video from one of the vendors, the guy drove his Nissan to the building site, plugged his jack hammer to his CHAdeMO and started digging. It was an easy sell.
I expect the price will come down maybe toward £1,000-£1,500 with wider adoption of the CHAdeMO system by other car manufacturers.

:cool:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It often seems to be going the other way though, type 2 charge sockets for AC slow and fast charging, with CCS instead of CHAdeMO for DC rapid charging getting more popular. This really needs to be sorted before we get into another VHS/Betamax/V2000 mess.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
It often seems to be going the other way though, type 2 charge sockets for AC slow and fast charging, with CCS instead of CHAdeMO for DC rapid charging getting more popular. This really needs to be sorted before we get into another VHS/Betamax/V2000 mess.
why would you want to supercharge a batt it is pretty clear if you do this it will reduce the capacity of the pack over time and give less range over the years if you get that far.

Are electric car batteries covered under warranty?
The good news is that electric cars come with long battery warranties, guaranteeing an acceptable battery capacity after seven or eight years of use. Most manufacturers guarantee that your battery will retain at least 70% of its original capacity.

We’ve made a comprehensive guide of what each EV manufacturer offers:

• Audi Eight years/100,000 miles
  • BMW Eight years/100,000 miles
  • Honda Eight years/100,000 miles
  • Hyundai Eight years/125,000 miles
  • Kia Seven years/100,000 miles
  • Mercedes Eight years/100,000 miles
  • MG Seven years/80000 miles
  • Jaguar Eight years/100,000 miles
  • Nissan Eight years/100,000 miles
  • Polestar Eight years/100,000 miles
  • Porsche Eight years/100,000 miles
  • Renault Eight years/100,000 miles
  • Seat Eight years/100,000 miles
  • Smart Eight years/62500 miles
  • Tesla Eight years/120,000 miles (150,000 miles for the Model S and Model X)
  • VW Eight years/100,000 miles
  • Volvo Eight years/ 100,000 miles

so if i had this car and did a few laps every day like this the batt would be toast capacity wise in 12 months.

best way to solve this problem is make all cars smart and limit them to 15mph with 5g wifi at all times in use on public roads and use a usb 3 charging port :D

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Wake up eight years later...

We cannot go on like this. The West must end its dependence on Vladimir Putin

Writing exclusively for the Telegraph, PM says Russian leader has exploited our need for his oil and gas, but now we must take back control

[ Paywalled, but bits available elsewhere. ]

E.g.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It is "only" one person, but by gad, it is good to see what appears genuinely GOOD news:

The British-Iranian national Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe has had her British passport returned, her MP, Tulip Siddiq, has said.

The Hampstead and Kilburn MP tweeted: “I am very pleased to say that Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe has been given her British passport back.

“She is still at her family home in Tehran. I also understand that there is a British negotiating team in Tehran right now. I will keep posting updates as I get them.”

There were reports that the UK government had paid a decades-old £400m debt to Iran in a move that could facilitate Zaghari-Ratcliffe’s release from Tehran and that of another British-Iranian, Anoosheh Ashoori.

(Without Ukraine going on, there would not be the comparison of thousands of deaths and millions of displaced.)

Correction: TWO people.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
It is "only" one person, but by gad, it is good to see what appears genuinely GOOD news:

The British-Iranian national Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe has had her British passport returned, her MP, Tulip Siddiq, has said.

The Hampstead and Kilburn MP tweeted: “I am very pleased to say that Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe has been given her British passport back.

“She is still at her family home in Tehran. I also understand that there is a British negotiating team in Tehran right now. I will keep posting updates as I get them.”

There were reports that the UK government had paid a decades-old £400m debt to Iran in a move that could facilitate Zaghari-Ratcliffe’s release from Tehran and that of another British-Iranian, Anoosheh Ashoori.

(Without Ukraine going on, there would not be the comparison of thousands of deaths and millions of displaced.)

Correction: TWO people.
What a difference a few weeks make, a month ago this would have felt significant
On a different tack, here's a somewhat more objective account of the charitable Mr abramovich..

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
What a difference a few weeks make, a month ago this would have felt significant
On a different tack, here's a somewhat more objective account of the charitable Mr abramovich..
Is it even possible to become a multi-billionaire, oligarch or not, without having made some deeply questionable deals, made some deeply unpleasant associations (I'll not use the word "friends"), dodged numerous laws, etc.?

I suspect not.

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

???
Well we've known for years about the strength of the far right Neo Nazis in Europe, particularly in Germany, The Netherlands, Austria and Poland.

Poor Vladimir, he tries to save Europe from the Nazis and gets criticised.

As Harry Enfield's character "Kevin" used to say, "It's so unfair". ;)

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Well we've known for years about the strength of the far right Neo Nazis in Europe, particularly in Germany, The Netherlands, Austria and Poland.

Poor Vladimir, he tries to save Europe from the Nazis and gets criticised.

As Harry Enfield's character "Kevin" used to say, "It's so unfair". ;)
Interestingly far right parties in the last Ukrainian General election only polled just over 1% of the vote.
Putin must be desperate to think such a minor faction justify invading and killing thousands on both sides.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
One factor to remember is that Putin must be aware of the way NATO Armour is to his cardboard main battle tanks like the German King Tiger was to a Sherman.
Two things he dare not attempt without the direst consequences.
1) Nuclear War
2) A mass land battle with NATO

Last edited:

Advertisers