Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It would make sense running a remote depot,in your case from France.
My house is on the Normandy coast and I need Eurostar to get back to London regularly to see the children and grandchildren. I can't see myself relocating to Paris. We have the use of a small flat in Paris but we are used to have a nice garden in Normandy.

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Speaking from Ireland here ,Well for the last few purchases I have made on line, I have moved from Amazon UK to Amazon Germany. The costs are often significantly lower and the delivery very rapid. Amazon UK has a very streamlined service, but can no longer compare price wise ,as they include the surcharge into their calculation . The only British company where Brexit seems to have made no difference is Nespresso,and my coffee capsules arrive bang on schedule at the listed price . I have had a number of unfortunate purchases, when items which were being purchased from what appeared to be Irish websites ,were actually British and all sorts of surcharges applied... Domestic electric appliance spare parts
So I fully agree with you Woosh, trade from the UK to EU at the dealer to consumer level must be hammered. It would make sense running a remote depot,in your case from France.
In the good old days, when we were still members of the EU, I sometimes sbought things from Amazon.de because of availability or price. There is a Samsung tablet near me which saved a bit (at the "expense" of having to switch default language as I set it up - taking about two seconds extra).

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
My house is on the Normandy coast and I need Eurostar to get back to London regularly to see the children and grandchildren. I can't see myself relocating to Paris. We have the use of a small flat in Paris but we are used to have a nice garden in Normandy.
I'm working my way towards something like that (but calabria, not normandy). I don't really like cities, life in them feels too much about visible consumption, materialism. And this include London which I ended up paradoxically spending a huge chunk of my adult life in.

Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't really like cities, life in them feels too much about visible consumption, materialism. And this include London
I found my ideal 54 years ago, only just inside London, and why I've never moved since.

On the north I have all the big city conveniences on my doorstep.

All around me I have rural. A 200 acre nature reserve 80 yards away which I've just got back from, three other nature reserves and three golf courses all within walking distance. I don't play golf but like the access and integral support for nature. Add in several large wooded areas all open to the public, two natural high viewing points, Addington Hills and Croham Hurst and the South of England moderate climate and I'm well suited.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The shortage of fully electric cars and the very high demand for them is doing astonishing things to values. I bought my Nissan Leaf new in 2018 for £25,500.

At 3.5 years old last year, after adjusting for mileage, condition etc, WeBuyAnyCar valued it at £14500.

Today at 4.3 years old, out of curiosity I again got their buying price, fully adjusted as before:

Clipboard01.jpg

If I wait another year I should get more than I paid for it new! ;)

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yesterday I jokingly remarked this about selling my Nissan Leaf:

"If I wait another year I should get more than I paid for it new!"

However, it appears that's not so far out. I'd bought the new model in 2018 at that low introductory price of £25,500, but shortly after Nissan increased th price by £2000. Since then the £4500 government grant I benefitted from has been reduced to £1500.

The net result is that the equivalent N-connecta model is now listed at £30,440.

So little wonder they could afford to buy my low mileage one for £19,305, even at 4.3 years old, given the very high demand for them.

• Agree

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Yesterday I jokingly remarked this about selling my Nissan Leaf:

"If I wait another year I should get more than I paid for it new!"

However, it appears that's not so far out. I'd bought the new model in 2018 at that low introductory price of £25,500, but shortly after Nissan increased th price by £2000. Since then the £4500 government grant I benefitted from has been reduced to £1500.

The net result is that the equivalent N-connecta model is now listed at £30,440.

So little wonder they could afford to buy my low mileage one for £19,305, even at 4.3 years old, given the very high demand for them.
Used ev market is odd. Have been looking at used ev's on autotrader (mines 8 years old @ 150k miles, am anxious about getting deeper into banger territory and incurring big expense). 2018 leafs do go for circa 20k, as do zoe ze50; for 10k more there's kona, Nero, mg zs, id3, perhaps used model 3. All have specific drawbacks (model 3 unknown entity and model s reliability was not great, as some reports say about id3, mg seem to corrode, zoe suspensions may be dodgy, early leaf batteries passively cooled). Bit of a minefield if one plan to keep it long, do high miles.
Edit - and entirely left field ones like korando ev if one want to tow 1500kg; I've excluded ev 6 etc because I'm not prepared to pay more than 30k for any car

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
early leaf batteries passively cooled).
Passive cooling isn't a big deal though for most users. Even my latest series 2018 model has no battery temperature regulation, but with a maximum charge rate of 50kW from any rapid charger, it isn't going to self destruct.

And in our temperate climate and clogged roads, driving the car too hard to get the battery to overheat is near to impossible!

Passive cooling wouldn't be feasible with the new 200 to 350 kW ultra rapid chargers of course, but the Leaf is being discontinued next year anyway.

That's another affordable e-car gone, their new Arriya starts at almost £43k with an up market model at £52K.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Back on the original topic of this thread
Starmer seems determined to commit the Labour party to suicide with the latest stunt being a public declaration that it will not seek to "reverse the result of the referendum" and "make Brexit work better"
Truly we trying to survive as a nation against the background of a pandemic of political idiocy.
What the hell is the point of voting labour?
How can voters from either side of the debate trust the man to do the right thing?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Starmer seems determined to commit the Labour party to suicide with the latest stunt being a public declaration that it will not seek to "reverse the result of the referendum" and "make Brexit work better"
Truly we trying to survive as a nation against the background of a pandemic of political idiocy.
Starmer has to prove that his way is better than Johnson's way to the brexiters. What is the point of another referendum until you have got the right PM?

• Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Starmer has to prove that his way is better than Johnson's way to the brexiters. What is the point of another referendum until you have got the right PM?
As far as I can see, my vote will go PC or Labour - depending on circumstances. I want Crabb out - mostly because he is a tory.

For that reason, Starmer has little reason to play to the gallery I am in. He needs to convince those who took Johnson's shilling.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
How can voters from either side of the debate trust the man to do the right thing?
I felt sorry for him. It felt a belated pitch to the red wall. An attempt to sidestep a tory trap. Boris saying to the great British electorate "look, labour want to deny your vote, democracy by taking you back into the EU against your will". Can you imagine trying to pitch the red wall? It must be like a conversation with my tax dodging, benefit cheating, racist, conservative plumber.

• :D
  • Agree
Reactions: Woosh and oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Obviously I would wish the UK back inside the EU, but I think Starmer is making the only pragmatic play possible . The Johnson /Truss NI Protocols Bill is going to be a shambles. At some stage people like the CBI are going to say so,Of course the Tories don't listen to any informed voices in Ireland or NI including their chambers of commerce and Farmers Unions .... In Tory parlance we are all just bogtrotters, but when the trade war starts the CBI will be making noises.
Now if Labour do get in, maybe in coalition with your Libs , they can ditch that Bill, and start working the Withdrawal Agreement as was wrote. Then when people are a little bit happier , more and more of what was alignment lite gets promoted.
The UK or at least Wales and England is at least a generation away from full EU membership. NI could be a full member in a decade, and Scotland soon after

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The UK or at least Wales and England is at least a generation away from full EU membership. NI could be a full member in a decade, and Scotland soon after
I think we'll be rather going for EFTA membership. Rejoining means adopting the Euro and Schengen. Too much to think about.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Now we appear to be out of Horizon and lost a large number of scientific grants, etc.

It really is going well.
I see that our current government has more or less given up the propaganda that we are better out of the EU.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Sunak gone now too, will BJ last the rest of the day?
Only technically - might be no-one takes over and he still does not resign - but he is now history.

17:15 to 17:18 GBP has gone UP against USD.

Extraordinary for a disappearing PM to see GBP rise.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Advertisers