Brexit speed question.

Would you like your motor to go faster than 15.5 mph, before cut off, to 20 mph?

• Total voters

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
With the extensive introduction of 20mph limits in urban area's, I think there's a case for pedelec speed increase.
It will never happen though, so wishing for it is pointless.

EU law has been based on common practice in their main cycling countries, where 25 kph is quite fast.

And when we were uninfluenced by EU law, the typically restrictive UK set the assist limit at 12 mph, only increasing that to 15 mph later under EU influence.

So virtually no chance either way.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I heard the same argument regarding xenon headlights 5 years ago. Now, they all have them.

You can never say 'never'. It's too often proved wrong. :)
Ah but you are speaking about progress, in which I agree. I'm speaking about UK governance!

I back what I've prophesied with 70 years experience of the UK's restrictive attitudes, particularly in road traffic law. In UK law speed limits if changed only ever reduce.

Anyway, for me at 80, never isn't very many years!!! :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well thats incorrect.....
Recently HGV speed limits were raised from 40 on single carriageways to 50... and from 50 on dual carriageways to 60.
Agree, I was speaking of highway speed limits which only ever go down, rather than a specific like that which may have been influenced by EU law, since that has also increased sizes and weights over time.

We've had our assist limit help from the EU with the change from 12 to 15.5 mph, and our leaving will end that influence anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Agree, I was speaking of highway speed limits which only ever go down, rather than a specific like that which may have been influenced by EU law, since that has also increased sizes and weights over time.

We've had our assist limit help from the EU with the change from 12 to 15.5 mph, and our leaving will end that influence anyway.
Well the HGV speed limits are highway speed limits..... speed limits specifically just for HGV vehicles.
Just like the 15.5 mph cut off is specifically for Ebikes.

There's no reason why the ebike 15.5 mph cut off couldn't be raised..... just like HGV speed limits were raised.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well the HGV speed limits are highway speed limits..... speed limits specifically just for HGV vehicles.
I'm sure you know what I mean, general speed limits applying to all vehicles. If changed they only ever go down.

There's no reason why the ebike 15.5 mph cut off couldn't be raised..... just like HGV speed limits were raised.
Of course there's no reason why they couldn't be raised. But for legal bureaucracy free pedelecs they won't be.

Bot the EU and the UK's DfT have made that very clear.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I'm sure you know what I mean, general speed limits applying to all vehicles. If changed they only ever go down.

Of course there's no reason why they couldn't be raised. But for legal bureaucracy free pedelecs they won't be.

Bot the EU and the UK's DfT have made that very clear.
Well you were clearly wrong about speed limits only always going down....... but i suspect you had no knowledge of HGV legislation and the recent changes.
But thats what you get by making sweeping statements.

As for saying pedelecs wont be..... how do you know this for certain ? Its just what you believe, nothing more.
You cant see the future.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Ah but you are speaking about progress, in which I agree. I'm speaking about UK governance!
They're happy to be creaming the profits surrounding the vast numbers of high powered ebikes being sold here. Maybe that's why nothing gets done about them being used freely in the UK so far.

Perhaps they'll have to step up at some point and cover that complicity with some enhanced legality.

It's the same with cars and motorways. It's been 70 mph since 1965. No-one ever gets bothered for doing 80.

70mph.jpg

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
There was even a debate recently about raising the motorway speed limit from 70 to 80..... It never happened, but that doesn't mean it wont get debated again and next time it could be changed.
I think there's a good argument for the cut off speed to be raised from 15.5 to 20mph...... it may never happen, but it just as easily could.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well you were clearly wrong about speed limits only always going down....... but i suspect you had no knowledge of HGV legislation and the recent changes.
But thats what you get by making sweeping statements.
I mentioned Road Traffic Law, so that was the context of my post, not a specific pertaining to a particular class of vehicles.

As for saying pedelecs wont be..... how do you know this for certain ? Its just what you believe, nothing more.
No it's not just what I believe, it's what has been said on the subject by both EU and UK authorities. In both cases they rule that higher speeds have to be accompanied by additional bureaucratic controls. In the UK's case the additions are extensive.

All the evidence backs what I contend, were you aware for example that the newest change means even some bicycle assist limits require a driving licence?

• Informative

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I think there's a good argument for the cut off speed to be raised from 15.5 to 20mph...... it may never happen, but it just as easily could.
Absolutely. 20 mph is a much stronger selling point for the seasoned cyclists than 15 is. Just look at the voting results above. The people have spoken. :)

My kit-bike cuts off at 19.5, so 20 is seen on screen as I'm pushing along. Just 4 miles in it, but a world of difference.

And, when this Godforsaken rain stops, I'm off to get wet at any speed! :D

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Any more Mystic Meg's in here that absolutely, definitely know whats going to happen in the future ?
If so, i'll have next weeks Lotto numbers.

Ta.

• :D

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Absolutely. 20 mph is a much stronger selling point for the seasoned cyclists than 15 is. Just look at the voting results above. The people have spoken. :)

My kit-bike cuts off at 19.5, so 20 is seen on screen as I'm pushing along. Just 4 miles in it, but a world of difference.

And, when this Godforsaken rain stops, I'm off to get wet at any speed! :D
I agree, 20mph will be the cut off speed for my next kit that i fit.
I see that speed as a happy medium between just enough speed & battery range.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
To clarify matters I went to a respected fortune tellers office, but it was closed due to unforeseen circumstances.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Authorities say all sorts of things and make rules that are later changed.
Nothing stays the same for ever.
Just don't hold you breath!

Current intentions are that we will soon get the higher bicycle assist speeds in the UK, namely up to 45 kph / 28 mph.

Accompanied by registration, number plate, compulsory insurance, compulsory helmet wearing and a group AM driving licence. The law for the latter licence group has recently been put in place.

So not exactly a bureaucracy free pedelec.

The problem is that once that's available, there's no reason for the government to change the pedelec limit, since those who want more speed will be catered for.

This is why I'm so confident our pedelec assist limit will not change.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Just don't hold you breath!

Current intentions are that we will soon get the higher bicycle assist speeds in the UK, namely up to 45 kph / 28 mph.

Accompanied by registration, number plate, compulsory insurance, compulsory helmet wearing and a group AM driving licence. The law for the latter licence group has recently been put in place.

So not exactly a bureaucracy free pedelec.

The problem is that once that's available, there's no reason for the government to change the pedelec limit, since those who want more speed will be catered for.

This is why I'm so confident our pedelec assist limit will not change.
You can be confident all you like but it still doesn't make it a certainty for the future.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You can be confident all you like but it still doesn't make it a certainty for the future.
Time will tell, as it has over the decades of my saying the same about the pedelec assist limit, and not being wrong to date.

I'm not against a higher speed like 20 mph, but don't see any chance of it happening.

Teejay

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2008
NW London
I can see that an 'S' class, with machines capable of nearly 30mph would have to have extra restrictions, as otherwise the Motorcycle trade would doubtless loudly cry "foul"!

I also accept that the OP's suggestion of legalising power up to 20mph or so is most unlikely to be adopted. What I don't understand is WHY NOT? Whatever are 'the authorities' so frightened of?

It would - in my view - be a most sensible change, enabling our machines to be both more thrilling to ride and yet more practical, without the disproportionate and unnecessarily draconian consequences of getting 'caught' hanging over us. Such a change would doubtless improve sales too. Those who prefer to go around at 12-15 would happily continue doing so, I don't see that as a reason to oppose the idea.

• Informative