Brompton KIT VS Mobiky Youri

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Really? It looks quite different in term of appearance. That is interesting :)

Pat

snchz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 1, 2014
I am interested about the narrow 8fun too.

For battery mount you can look this link
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/cheap-brompton-conversion-kit.12494/page-11

I personally do not like this mount as I have seen mount failure from ES forum when using this battery (too much vibration to the mounting point)

By the way, 18.6mph is the top speed not the average speed. For this kit the average speed is around 16mph. For you requirement 20mph average with 18miles range is not enough using 36v 9ah battery.

If you could work out the average speed and range that you need then I can check what is the best combination for you.

Pat
Finally on the store they have told me that the bafang motor is the 250w version and the weight is 2,5kg. I will look for something lighter

Yesterday I rented a Mobiky 250w 24v 5ah to commute to work The bike is nice but I deffinitively need a more foldable bike so I will go for a brompton.

The 250w 24v 5ah mobiky is nice but I need something a bit powerfull and with a little bit more speed and with at least 30km (18mi) range. And I would like less than 5kg for the complete kit.

What do you recommend me?

I have seen another interesting option. I have contacted with other spanish electric bikes company and they propose me an interesting kit they use in brompton and dahon:

- 250W Motor 75mm (they don´t have it in the website but are going to receive some stock)
- Battery: Li-ION Ultralight 36v 10,2ah with panasonic cells and mounted in a saddle bag: http://www.qbbikes.com/en/batteries-bikes-li-ion-efficienced-ultralight-36v/36v-102ah-ebike-li-ion-battery-saddle-bag-ultra-lightweight-17-kg.html

The battery is only 1,7kg and the total kit weight will be around 4kg maybe less. How do you see this kit?

They offer me 2 years guaranty in the complete kit. They batteries are made in Spain by themselves

Thanks

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

My calculation says that they're using 30 cells 3400maH Panasonic NCR18650B. they'll sag more than 3V at 15 amps. that's the first battery I've seen with those cells. It should cost less considering that there's only 39 cells.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
For 18miles range, this battery could be ok considering you are doing a lot of pedalling at 18mph. As Dave said, it sags a lot when the juice is running low. People has tried to use it and seems fine but he is running 17AH (heavier) so for his purpose it won't be a problem.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=48370

If you are looking a motor less than 2.5kg, either keyed or tongxin motors are ok but they are not very powerful.

You could over volt them to increase the speed but there will be more heat.
The problem for a small motor is possible overheating and burn the motor.

We need more info about 250w 75mm motor you mentioned (photo, working voltage, weight, RPM on 16") to see if it is powerful enough for your application. If it is a small motor I doubt it would be a good idea to run at high speed.

Basically, lightweight 4Kg kit is possible but you need to do a bit more pedalling to reach the range and speed you want

p.s. You could get a Titanium brompton to reduce the weight of the bike.

Pat

snchz

Mar 1, 2014
For 18miles range, this battery could be ok considering you are doing a lot of pedalling at 18mph. As Dave said, it sags a lot when the juice is running low. People has tried to use it and seems fine but he is running 17AH (heavier) so for his purpose it won't be a problem.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=48370

If you are looking a motor less than 2.5kg, either keyed or tongxin motors are ok but they are not very powerful.

You could over volt them to increase the speed but there will be more heat.
The problem for a small motor is possible overheating and burn the motor.

We need more info about 250w 75mm motor you mentioned (photo, working voltage, weight, RPM on 16") to see if it is powerful enough for your application. If it is a small motor I doubt it would be a good idea to run at high speed.

Basically, lightweight 4Kg kit is possible but you need to do a bit more pedalling to reach the range and speed you want

p.s. You could get a Titanium brompton to reduce the weight of the bike.

Pat
They have told me that the motor is a Dapu 250w 36v and the wright is between 1-1,5kg. They say that I will need to pedal when climbing.

how do you see this motor?

what other combinations (motor and battery) do you recommend me for what I need?

I will buy the brompton titanium version

Superdove this dahon is amazing, but I think I need something more foldable

thanks!!

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Oh...it is the interesting Dapu Japanese motor. I have not seen one reviewing this motor as it seems it is difficult to source the motor alone. Do you able to show me the photo? I have not seen a 1.5kg version before.

What I know is that Dapu motor is a very quiet motor and Wisper and BH uses this motor for their bikes.

Would you be able to find out what is the RPM they can offer for 16" brompton rim? Ideally if you want to reach 18mph, the RPM has to be around 360-370

If you do get this motor, you do prepare to pedal uphill as it is not a powerful motor for hills.

I have two suggestions both considering you have around 30% of the journey uphill

1. Q100 motor 328rpm 2.7kg

Battery 36v 10ah. (if you can get some good and high density battery than could reduce the weight) 3-4kg

Total weight maybe around 5.5kg

2. Dapu/keyed/tonxgin motors 1.4kg-1.9kg (considering you can get a fast wind version)

Batteyr 36v 8ah around 3kg

Total weight around 4.5-5kg

First option to make sure you can get you uphill easier. Considering second one if you pedal a lot. All depend how fit you are.

One thing to mention is that spreading titanium fork is very hard to do. If the Dapu does have 75mm with fast winding I would consider it over others

Pat

snchz

Mar 1, 2014
They have told me that the motor is 328rpm and 80mm not 74.

So I think the motor is a perfect balance between power and wight.

I´m decided for this kit. The total price is 1000 euros with the ultralight Li-ION 36v 10,2ah battery, 36v 14a controller, lcd display with 5 level assistance and includding installation.

Is not cheap but I will have guarantee and a very lightweight kit.

Opinions?

Thanks for all!!

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
This kit should be ok. Just double check Is this kit for the Dapu motor?

I am interested to know the battery you said. 36v 10.4AH for 1.7kg so incredible.

It would be great if you can post the results here. That would be a good comparison with Jerry's lightweight brompton (with Keyde or Tongxin)

Pat

snchz

Mar 1, 2014
This kit should be ok. Just double check Is this kit for the Dapu motor?

I am interested to know the battery you said. 36v 10.4AH for 1.7kg so incredible.

It would be great if you can post the results here. That would be a good comparison with Jerry's lightweight brompton (with Keyde or Tongxin)

Pat
Yes! this is what I like of the battery. But it´s expensive and I´m afraid about life duration. What is the usual life of one of these batteries?

I will post some results. Before I need to buy a second hand titanium brompton. How many speeds do you recommend me with the electric conversion? 3 or 6?

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Three is good enough but 6 helps you when you are out of juice. The 2 speed shifter at the left handbar limits you to have a LCD there. For me I prefer 3

I recommend to get a M version as you can fit more gadgets if u need later on

Pat