Brooks saddles.....

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
I was bought one as a present to fit to my Tasman. Actually, the standard Tasman saddle is more comfortable, less slippy, too. I tried it on my Brompton but since that has one of the best saddles I've ever used as standard, it was unlikely to better that.

I know many people love them but that doesn't mean they are 'better' as such. There is an element of 'emperor's new clothes' to it, I think but the bottom line ;) is, if you think it is more comfortable, then it is.

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm sitting here being smug. I used to spend a lot of time trying different saddles. I often do betwen 50 and 100 miles in a day, so comfort is important for me. Some were definitely better than others, but all were painful in the end.

Since I got a bike with air suspension front and rear, I no longer worry about which saddle is best because I don't get that pummelling of the bum that does all the damage. The worst problem I get now is when my underpants pinch my tackle. If only I could find the right underpants!

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
If only I could find the right underpants!
Funny.

I think I will ride my Brompton with the stock saddle for a bit. I must admit after 3000 miles I guess if I don't get pain that often its pretty good.

Thinking about it there have only been about a dozen times when I have thought that's a little uncomfortable and had to shift my ass.

I suspect that trying the B17 would envolve a few months of uncomfort for sure :(

Regards

Jerry

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Only part of the running in process is due to any saddle, much of it is due to the brain. Repetitive nerve stimuli which are not indicative of lasting permanent damage result in the brain reducing and finally "switching off" the normal pain response after a while, desensitising the offending area.

So a saddle which is not causing lasting physiological damage will be accommodated over time, one which is likely to cause harm will not be accommodated.

Similar phenomena is observable with a noisy or smelly environment, people get used to them and aren't aware after a while.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
One of the other forums pointed me in the direction of Sheldon Brown's advice

Leather Saddles

Basically a neats-foot oil bath. Other suggest submerging in water for a while then going out for a long ride. There is certainly a lot of mixed advice out there for minimising the pain period :p

Regards

Jerry

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
On my recumbent I can wear any pants, they are all comfy! I also love the Brooks but it did take 800 miles to form a deep and meaningful relationship.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Steve,

Thanks great videos. In the end I bit the bullet and Santa is bringing me a B17 Special. I found a good deal so upgraded from the standard to the special with the nicely polished copper rivets. Should look good on my british built Brompton :D

No doubt I will suffer some pain breaking it in but I cycle 5 miles each way on my daily commute so hopefully I will tame it fairly quickly.

Regards

Jerry

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Good luck Jerry - I reckon Santa knows what he's doing.

I got one of these a few months ago, slightly warily due to fond memories of the pain involved in getting a similar Brooks Team Pro broken in a few decades ago. I went through all the recommended business of rubbing Proofide into it for a few days first, then installed the thing in place of a not-bad Fizik Life Rondine.

It was comfortable immediately, and the slipperiness that people have commented on is a good thing as far as I'm concerned, as it allows you to pedal and to shift around on the saddle without rubbing of your chosen bum and leg wear against your skin.

It needs to have the nose parallel or very slightly raised so you sit on the actual seat.

I never thought I'd be so impressed - it's so good that I put it on my mountain bike temporarily for a recent charity bike ride.

Clearly, it's a case of different strokes for different folks, but personally, I couldn't be happier with it.

tonyishuk

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2011
Tried a Brooks many years ago and found that my undercarriage was changing faster than the Brooks.

On my Freego now use a gel saddle with a suspension post, It takes out a lot of the harsh thumps and bumps that seem to occure with the heavy rear end with motor and battery.

(and my undercarriage is fine)

Rgds

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Well finally got round to fitting my new Brooks B17 Special that santa gave me :p

It certainly looks the business. Adds about 200grms over stock but I think it is worth it. I smothered top and bottom with proofide and left it over night before buffing the top. I could tell it had softened up a little afterwards. Been out for a 4 mile ride and so far so good. I found I slipped back and forward on it a little but overall it felt ok especially if I put my weight on the back part of the saddle.

Hopefully my 5 mile each way commute will break it in with not too much pain.

I will report back.

Regards

Jerry

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Why didn`t you get a black one Jerry?

I would be getting the leather dye out to that saddle. But then again it is not my bike.

Steve

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Because I liked the brown one lol

All Brompton Brooks B17 special saddles come in brown.

I think more dye comes off the black ones ?

Regards

Jerry

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Not that I've noticed, very little as far as I can tell but then I don't wear white trousers :eek: ;)

sw123

Just Joined
Oct 27, 2011
I had a new b17 as a christmas present a few years ago. Spent a few weeks riding around and absolutely hated it, too hard and slippery. In desperation i raised the nose slightly from level and the ride was transformed. I now have them on all my bikes and would not use anything else.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Thanks sw123. I have read in a few places that it is important to get the saddle position correct.

I start my commute again tomorrow so will report back.

Regards

Jerry

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Good luck Jerry, I've tried all the variations of nose up, nose down, forwards, backwards etc but just found it very uncomfortable.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Well nearly 40 miles commuting this week. It felt comfortable pretty much from the outset. I tend to sit quite far back on my saddles and have even moved it back further than the stock one was.

Maybe I have a hard ass or I just got lucky. The leather did seem to have some give in it from the first day I fitted it.

Maybe the pain has yet to set in ?

Its also darkened up even more and looks wonderfull. Will report back later.

Regards

Jerry

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
Jerry, can I ask what motor you have on the front and where one can get them from? I only ask as one day I would like to get a Brompton and your install looks really neat.
I have a Brooks B17 as well and think it's great but as I don't use it very often I still find that it needs a bit of time to bed to my rear.