Burisch offroad electric bike, new for £649 on ebay

vectra

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2011
Hi.

My own, superficial thoughts. Nice looking bike. Weight is right for me (much lifting to transport). Gearing is poor for a bike which, as the ad states, "can be ridden like a normal bike." Needs at least one more chainwheel, however probably not insurmountable.

Price is excellent even if slightly risky with return to base warranty however I guess that reflects in the price!

Look forward to more thoughts from others.
Regards
vectra

P.S Just purchased a Thule 921 two bike carrier. Superb piece of kit and would highly recommend it. Beats lifting on to my roof bars which, unfortunately, I still need to do when I'm towing.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Well I think it looks pretty good for the money and a decent weight.....Front chain wheel looks a bit small though! Battery looks identical to that on Oxydrive kit, so a whole bike for less money.....

Like Vectra says drive train the weakness. but seeing we have seen some so called top end bikes recently with very poor fittings I think these will prove very popular indeed....

what would it cost to upgrade chain wheel and dérailleurs?

Fast Eddie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 28, 2008
I quite fancy getting this to replace my 3 year old folding electric bike which isn't wearing too well (and I am in no need of the folding element of it anymore and would prefer to have a more normal looking bike) and this seems to fit the bill. I've only just started looking again at electric bikes though so will look around a bit more over the next few days at what's available. I use throttle only 99% of the time as I suffer with chronic fatigue from long term illness, which is the reason for me getting an electric bike originally a few years back. This bike is aesthetically pleasing, especially at this price but having googled Burisch Synergy it would seem it must be a new brand, possibly developed by the ebayer who is selling them as he trades under that Burisch name. Would love to hear from anyone who has more of an idea of the bike and it's possible merits and weaknesses.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Well boys and girls............ I just bought one! :) So far........ I like it lots!

Main points are as follows:

1) Its light - on my scales its 20.5kg including battery
2) Its fast! Not sure how fast as I dont have a speedo on it but it feels way over 15mph......
3) Quality is good and bad. Brakes look cheap - the levers I mean - I may well swap them - otherwise the paint is a beautiful white and everything works very well.
4) Geering is too low - I already just put a 44T chain ring on the front - it comes with a 42T - that may not be enough and I may have to go up to 46 or 48? We shall see.
5) Battery is charging right now - it came with only a bit of juice but still got me about 8 miles - I am expecting 25-30 once its charged fully - will report about this.

So......... compared with my Oxygen (I have an e-mate which I really like btw) you can see how come its half the price (btw I did check with people here who promised me you are allowed to have more than one electric bike - Flecc and others confirmed this in fact it would appear that some here have even more than two! So this is my number 2 and there may be more) - back to the comparison...

The Oxygen reeks of quality - and its solid - this Burisch you must remember is indeed half the price - so you cant be too critical of things like lower quality parts - but it does show in places - but boy does it go!

Oh another thing - the Oxygen's sensor/controller really does take note of how hard you're peddaling and help you appropriate to that - the Busisch seems to give you full speed ahead no matter how little you peddle! Like even peddaling very gently it suddenly comes in all full power and shoosh you're flying! Plus the power seems to come in a little later too (on the B) - I think the Oxygen system is more refined - but I'm not complaining - I had a Yamaha R1 before this (which I am no longer allowed to ride please dont ask) - so anything with lots of oomph is good for me.

The guy who sells them - Ryan - nice guy - South African straight up kind of guy - met him at his house in Borhamwood (you can go to the warehouse in Luton but that was further for me) and he built it up for me - looks like he's running a decent business and I felt I could trust him right off - anything goes wrong he says no problem we will sort it out.

Not sure what else to say - the battery is on charge - I have not tried it yet with the 44T chain ring but will report when I do - I have a feeling I will have to go even higher but we shall see.

James.

Reactions: mountainsport

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
While I'm waiting for the battery to charge........

anybody know where I can source some quality brake levers - ie ones with cut-off wires?

I looked on ebay but they all cost about £10 which means they will probably be about as good as the ones that come with the bike - and without actually looking at the real item its hard to tell - but I am thinking surely you need to pay £40-50 for the pair to get anything of quality - anybody know where I can look?

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
And one more thing........

I am assuming all e-bike brakes work the same - ie the wires are connected when the brakes are not being used and when you brake it cuts the connection which cuts the motor.... is that right?

Or is it the other way around - and do all e-bikes have it the same way round........ (the wires are not connected and when you brake it makes them connected?)

I m assuming they are all the same way - anybody know which way it is?

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
OK it looks like I want some Tectro electric bike levers - EL520-RS for example - anybody know if there is anywhere in the UK where you can get them? I am struggling to find anywhere.

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009

I am assuming all e-bike brakes work the same - ie the wires are connected when the brakes are not being used and when you brake it cuts the connection which cuts the motor.... is that right?

Or is it the other way around - and do all e-bikes have it the same way round........ (the wires are not connected and when you brake it makes them connected?)

On both of mine the wires are connected when you brake...connecting the wires cuts the motor but they're not all the same.

Ebikes.ca used to do magnetic ebrake levers but you'd have to check compatibility.

Ben

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Ok thanks for that Ben - I will have to find out which are compatible.

I just took it for a ride after the battery charged up completely (a shade under 5 hours to charge) - my god its quick - no way is the 44T cog any good - I will have to go at least 48 - it is seriously quick!

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire

The switches used in the brake levers are momentary, normally closed. When in position on the levers, the lever holds the switch in the 'open' position. When the brake is applied, the switch returns to it's natural 'normally closed' position and inhibits the electrical system.

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com
Well I think it looks pretty good for the money and a decent weight.....Front chain wheel looks a bit small though! Battery looks identical to that on Oxydrive kit, so a whole bike for less money.....

Like Vectra says drive train the weakness. but seeing we have seen some so called top end bikes recently with very poor fittings I think these will prove very popular indeed....

what would it cost to upgrade chain wheel and dérailleurs?
Hi Eddie,

I fully agree with you that by the FIRST LOOK it looks like it's the same as our conversion kit for less money and I'm glad you raised this Eddie. I have to assure that's not the case here.

Firstly our controller is integrated in the base of the battery and we do not have the additional box with the additional bunch of wires.

Secondly we use our own algorithm which is more predictable and adapts to the style of pedaling (thanks James for mentioning this) and the LCD console that offers loads of fancy functions including power output, speed, av speed ODO etc etc.

Thirdly we use the waterproof harness that gives full waterproofness against any water and allows for quick dismantling of any sub-components in case any goes wrong so for maintenance and service totally incomparable.

Fourth our battery now is based with the most powerful Samsung cells offering 5C continuous discharge rate (most Chinese cells offers only 1C) which proves much better during real hill climbing

Five and last I think, we offer our kit via a dealer network. This means our product costs more indeed but at the end of the day dealers are there for you and sort you out in case of any issues. Sorry to say but OXYDrive hasn't earned us even a pound of profit yet and it's still on the way to break even which is the best proof we are not making a fortune on this. The fact that we use some parts of generic components does not mean our product is the same as the £649 ebay bike. BTW I also like the look of that bike.

All the best

Andrew

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I said nothing of the kind......Just that they are providing the same battery as on your oxygen kit

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
no worries Eddie, just tried to justify what's the difference as the EXTERNAL LOOK of battery case which looks almost the the same might confuse a lot. Once again thanks for raising this up

Andrew
Yours might be a nice glossy black but looks identical to me. When you use bits availble to anyone what can you really expect...... I can buy the Burisch and upgrade the components and end up with a half decent e bike for under £800

One to watch I think........

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
...... I can buy the Burisch and upgrade the components and end up with a half decent e bike for under £800

One to watch I think........

The difference in cost between a Samsung celled battery capable of 5C discharge and a 1C generic Chinese budget battery would be significant. Upgrading this plus forks, brakes etc would cost a lot more than £150.

For a budget bike however I really really like the look of this...

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
At the price what do you expect.....This bike not only looks good, far better then most awful looking Chinese bikes costing more, the weight excellent as well...

Changing the drive train and maybe brakes is all I would think is necessary, that chainwheel looks so wrong. Some bikes on here costing 3 times the price with £40 dérailleurs and £45 shocks:(

James has already told us bike performs well, and he has a more expensive bike to compare against. His only criticism so far are brakes and gearing and that is the only area I would address...is it going to be as nice as mine? not likely, but I would be happy enough to ride one, I cant say that about many Chinese bikes

new sexier pic on ebay!lol