Burisch offroad electric bike, new for £649 on ebay

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
One thing I don't quite understand about this forum....if somebody posts about a self build ebike which goes remotely over the 15mph legal limit then he/she generally gets given a pretty hard time by certain people. However, if you buy an illegal bike ready made (such as this one) which apparently goes way over 15mph then everybody wants one! Just saying... :D

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Mr Burisch has a keen eye and a little taste...........Tescos?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
One thing I don't quite understand about this forum....if somebody posts about a self build ebike which goes remotely over the 15mph legal limit then he/she generally gets given a pretty hard time by certain people. However, if you buy an illegal bike ready made (such as this one) which apparently goes way over 15mph then everybody wants one! Just saying... :D
Very true! When this forum first came into being in 2006, the best selling high end e-bike was the eZee Torq with 22 mph power assist, and in the early forum days 38% of the bikes owned by members were that model.

But of course the short period of existence of e-bikes means those were the equivalent of the carefree teenage years of ownership. Since then members have gone through the middle age of e-biking and are now grumpy old men who moan about those who break the law.

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
Very true! When this forum first came into being in 2006, the best selling high end e-bike was the eZee Torq with 22 mph power assist, and in the early forum days 38% of the bikes owned by members were that model.

But of course the short period of existence of e-bikes means those were the equivalent of the carefree teenage years of ownership. Since then members have gone through the middle age of e-biking and are now grumpy old men who moan about those who break the law.
But its ok for those same grumpy old men to break the law too...as long as somebody else builds one the bike to facilitate this. Smells like hypocrisy to me!

Last edited:

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com
Yours might be a nice glossy black but looks identical to me. When you use bits availble to anyone what can you really expect...... I can buy the Burisch and upgrade the components and end up with a half decent e bike for under £800

One to watch I think........
good luck with the upgrades then Eddie ;) As I said Burish looks awesome and certainly it's a great entry bike with excellent value. I just think Burish will soon increase the prices anyway soon they realise the real nature of this business and I mean here service, after sales support and warranty issues and their cost to maintain the brands reputation.

Few already tried this business model by starting very cheap. For most the story was the same. Here today, gone tomorrow. I just wish Burish won't end up this way leaving loads of customers without support.

all the best

Andrew

vectra

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2011
good luck with the upgrades then Eddie ;) As I said Burish looks awesome and certainly it's a great entry bike with excellent value. I just think Burish will soon increase the prices anyway soon they realise the real nature of this business and I mean here service, after sales support and warranty issues and their cost to maintain the brands reputation.

Few already tried this business model by starting very cheap. For most the story was the same. Here today, gone tomorrow. I just wish Burish won't end up this way leaving loads of customers without support.

all the best

Andrew
Having experienced "support" from an Oxygen dealer at the point of sale, I'm inclined to think that I'd rather take my chances with this bike at half the price and a whole lot less weight to lift.

(see my previous post; Another dealer another waste of time)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But its ok for those same grumpy old men to break the law too...as long as somebody else builds one the bike to facilitate this. Smells like hypocrisy to me!
In fact most no longer own their Torqs, generally being sold on long ago as the classified ads in this site for 2006/7/8 show. There is more adherence to the law among members and suppliers now there have been some prosecutions, they've realised the DfT are not blind to what is posted here and are also aware that the DfT is currently amending the law. We need to be seen as law abiding to get the best outcome from that, for example in getting throttles to be allowed in future.

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com
Having experienced "support" from an Oxygen dealer at the point of sale, I'm inclined to think that I'd rather take my chances with this bike at half the price and a whole lot less weight to lift.

(see my previous post; Another dealer another waste of time)
Hi Vectra,

Read your previous post re the negative experience. I actually sent you a private message some time ago to get more details. Could you please reply to me, many thanks

Re the weight, very valid points but please note that by having twice as big battery, full mudguards and the rack actually does increase the weight a lot.

all the best

Andrew

vectra

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2011
Hi Vectra,

Read your previous post re the negative experience. I actually sent you a private message some time ago to get more details. Could you please reply to me, many thanks

Re the weight, very valid points but please note that by having twice as big battery, full mudguards and the rack actually does increase the weight a lot.

all the best

Andrew
Andrew Hi.
Received your PM and responded same day. It must be in your inbox?
Regards
Vectra

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
In fact most no longer own their Torqs, generally being sold on long ago as the classified ads in this site for 2006/7/8 show. There is more adherence to the law among members and suppliers.....
Hi Flec,

My point was in fact that this is not the case...my reference to hypocrisy is in relation to the bike discussed in this thread not the long forgotten ezee torque. Members are demonstrating plenty of enthusiasm for this illegal bike...that was my point.

I for one fully support being legal...hence my custom ebrompton is completely legal.

Ben

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I understand your point and agree Ben, but only for a rather small number of members. The majority of members are now much more inclined to legality now than formerly. This is illustrated partly by those who post against illegal bikes and to a greater extent by the many, like myself, who won't help in the buying or creating of illegal bikes.

wheels

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 11, 2012
Hi James, thanks for this review. I came across this bike just the other day on ebay as i'm looking to by my first e-bike, my budget is up to £1300 but if I can get a decent entry level ebike for 650 then it would be hard to turn down especially considering how good it looks. (i know looks aren't everything) :)

Have you had a chance to test the battery range fully yet? also could you let us know about the Pedal Assist mode, does it have 3 different levels of assist or is it just (off/assist or throttle)?
would you recommend this bike to someone who hasn't owned an ebike before, or should I spend more and go for a more established brand/model such as: ox e-mate, W 905se or fast4ward peak?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Just test ride all the bikes you are interested in. While the bike sounds reasonable value, I cant see it comparing with the likes of a wisper 905 SE

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Hi 'wheels',

I like this bike (the Burisch) a lot and I dont really want to say anything bad about it...... and yet...... for me I am glad I have my oxygen because in truth this Burisch simply does not have the finesse of the Oxygen. So as a bike for sheer fun and speed yes I like having it and will use it with that in mind - but if I was only to have one bike - I'd have the oxygen.

I've not tested fully the battery yet - my guess is it will give me around 20 miles - and thats because it still pulls even when you're peddling as fast as you can with a 48T chainring - I've ordered a 50T now but even that I think will not quite be high enough - maybe some slightly bigger tyres will just about do it! Who knows.

So as you can see the design has not been thought through as well as on the Oxygen - with that bike it progressively adds power as you pedal harder - the Burisch as I have said just keeps piling on the power even when you're not peddling any harder (and only backs off if you completely stop peddling).

So - I'm keeping the Burisch for out and out fun on short journeys - and for more 'commuter-like' journeys I am glad I have the E-mate to use.

Hope that answers your question.

James.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Oh and it has three settings - off (as in its a normal bike), assist (just one level of assistance as I have described) - and throttle.

wheels

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 11, 2012
Oh and it has three settings - off (as in its a normal bike), assist (just one level of assistance as I have described) - and throttle.
Thanks for this info James, From what your saying it sounds like this is still a good buy, BUT it's not as refined. I'm looking for something that I can use as a commuter (25 miles round) but also use on the weekend for a bit of fun. I'm going to continue researching until I find the right bike, the Oxygen e-mate race is now a sure contender.
Cheers

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
OK I am pretty sure you wont get 25 miles from the Burisch - my e-mate will easy do that though (I got over 60 miles on one charge once - average is I'd say still in excess of 45-50 with reasonable peddling).

Good luck with your search - let us know how you get on.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Am I correct in reading that this bike does not have auto cutouts on the brake levers and allows power over 15 mph. If that is the case then the bike is clearly illegal for uk usage and would not pass EN15194. What surprises me is that to make these bikes legal is not expensive,the on cost to produce a legal bike at Chinese prices is minimal.Why produce such a nice looking bike and risk the legal implications of not protecting oneself and your customers by not getting EN15194. The ongoing court case involving the illegal bike and the London bus will end up in expensive tears for someone,just cannot understand traders or customers taking the risk
I think it's a nice looking bike but to sell volume you do need to establish a dealer chain or sell at rock bottom prices like the Cyclamatic.
Dave
Kudoscycles