Burisch offroad electric bike, new for £649 on ebay

technopedler

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2013
It's only money.
As are most things, but doesn't mean people need to make purchases without doing the research they feel comfortable.

The value of money is varies for everyone. Each have their own level of financial income and financial outgoings. The Burisch bike may seem like pocket change for some people but months of hard earned savings for others. On top, the actual benefit of the bike will also vary between those people.

zeeflyboy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 16, 2011
Mine just arrived today!

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Couple of first impressions after a little riding today:

- Nice looking bike, but feels a little heavy (I'm used to a 9kg road bike and an 11kg carbon framed full sus, so take that for what it's worth lol). For an e-bike the weight seems reasonable for looking on the web.

- Included disc brakes are surprisingly good. I have always used hydraulics and the last set of cable discs I used must have been about 15 years ago. I was pleasantly surprised by both the feel and power of these units.

- Suspension seat post is really stiff... Not much suspension going on lol. Saddle is not bad but not great in the comfort sense.

- using the "de-restricted" controller, I get about 15-16mph on the flat using just throttle. Cycling at a fairly relaxed pace with the assist goes up to about 18-19mph. Pedalling harder doesn't seem to result in much extra speed beyond this lol... I assume all you are ending up doing is reducing the drain on the battery and replacing it with a drain on the belly.

- power delivery is fine. I do see what has been said about being a bit "all or nothing" but it doesn't kick in for a few seconds after pedalling and is not hard to control. If you need an instant boost off the blocks the throttle is easy to use.

- very quiet. In fact the only time you can really hear the motor is when it's working hard pulling away from a slow start. Once up to speed it's not noticeable, and even during the acceleration it's very respectable.

- battery rattled a bit in the holder over bumps. A strip of foam on the holder stops this completely, easy fix.

Overall I'm pretty happy so far. While i don't think it'll particularly reduce my commute time (my road bike is faster on the flats), I will certainly arrive in a similar time and less sweaty! I will run a timer on the way to work tomorrow and see how it compares. I suspect the main gain will be on the way back where the hills are less in my favour.

The bike and components seem fair quality for the money, and the bike works well. It's not a powerhouse but then I have no frame of reference regarding other e-bikes. It is nice and easy to cruise at a good clip on the flats and uphill you can notice how much easier it is to cruise up them. Steeper hills do require some pedal input to avoid slowing down too much.

Last edited:

technopedler

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2013
Mine just arrived today!

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Couple of first impressions after a little riding today:

- Nice looking bike, but feels a little heavy (I'm used to a 9kg road bike and an 11kg carbon framed full sus, so take that for what it's worth lol). For an e-bike the weight seems reasonable for looking on the web.

- Included disc brakes are surprisingly good. I have always used hydraulics and the last set of cable discs I used must have been about 15 years ago. I was pleasantly surprised by both the feel and power of these units.

- Suspension seat post is really stiff... Not much suspension going on lol. Saddle is not bad but not great in the comfort sense.

- using the "de-restricted" controller, I get about 15-16mph on the flat using just throttle. Cycling at a fairly relaxed pace with the assist goes up to about 18-19mph. Pedalling harder doesn't seem to result in much extra speed beyond this lol... I assume all you are ending up doing is reducing the drain on the battery and replacing it with a drain on the belly.

- power delivery is fine. I do see what has been said about being a bit "all or nothing" but it doesn't kick in for a few seconds after pedalling and is not hard to control. If you need an instant boost off the blocks the throttle is easy to use.

- very quiet. In fact the only time you can really hear the motor is when it's working hard pulling away from a slow start. Once up to speed it's not noticeable, and even during the acceleration it's very respectable.

Overall I'm pretty happy so far. While i don't think it'll particularly reduce my commute time (my road bike is faster on the flats), I will certainly arrive in a similar time and less sweaty! I will run a timer on the way to work tomorrow and see how it compares. I suspect the main gain will be on the way back where the hills are less in my favour.

The bike and components seem fair quality for the money, and the bike works well. It's not a powerhouse but then I have no frame of reference regarding other e-bikes.
Hi Zeeflyboy, thank you for the write up. Very informative and useful. When you get a moment, I'd be interested in hearing about the range of the battery. Obviously this'll depend on how much you pedal and what kind of route you took so perhaps the full battery range + a description of your usage during that battery run?

I vaguely recall someone mentioning around 20 miles on pedal assist which seemed a bit short but this could have been someone pedalling with minimal effort, going mostly up hill.

zeeflyboy

Jan 16, 2011
Sure, but probably better to wait for the battery to do a few cycles before making any decisions.

I can say without charging from it arriving I've done about 20km today including some throttle only testing and it dropped to what one would interpret as about 2/3rds full.

zeeflyboy

Jan 16, 2011
Oh and I forgot to mention, the included mud guards aren't worth looking at.

I'll be picking up some SKS longboards methinks

technopedler

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2013
Oh and I forgot to mention, the included mud guards aren't worth looking at.

I'll be picking up some SKS longboards methinks
Very true, more accurate after a few battery cycles. But seems like it would go much further than 20 miles on pedal assist mode.

Any chance of taking photos of the mud guards? Why are they no good? And do you mean they would be no good for off-road? Would they be sufficient for on-road/commuting around London?

TIA

D

Deleted member 4366

Is the current bike still without a panel where you can adjust the pedal assist level. If so, an update to an after market controller with LCD panel would be a better upgrade than the Burisch one to de-restrict it.

zeeflyboy

Jan 16, 2011
No adjustment to assist level, it's on or off.

The mudguards would probably be okay for off road, but for commuting you want something better to wrap around the wheel.

zeeflyboy

Jan 16, 2011
Quick update

After a full charge, wowzers... Quite a bit more grunt.

I was able to keep a good 20-22mph on relative flat with pedalling, that compares more favourably with my road bike. Throttle only was around 16+ mph.

Up the big hill I always attack on the way back from work I managed a steady 14.5mph with moderate pedalling. On my road bike I always crawl up at around 8mph and end up a sweaty mess at the end.

More impressed now! We'll see how it goes over the next couple of weeks with a few cycles on the batteries and varying states of charge.

technopedler

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2013
Quick update

After a full charge, wowzers... Quite a bit more grunt.

I was able to keep a good 20-22mph on relative flat with pedalling, that compares more favourably with my road bike. Throttle only was around 16+ mph.

Up the big hill I always attack on the way back from work I managed a steady 14.5mph with moderate pedalling. On my road bike I always crawl up at around 8mph and end up a sweaty mess at the end.

More impressed now! We'll see how it goes over the next couple of weeks with a few cycles on the batteries and varying states of charge.
Thanks for the update. How much was the upgraded controller? Did they supply the original controller so you can switch between the two? Also, was it easy to switch?

zeeflyboy

Jan 16, 2011
I think it was something like £45 for the controller and I just had them fit it for £20.

The old controller was supplied in the box.

So did 8 miles today (4 miles to work, 4 miles back) and on the last big hill I was just starting to lose the first bar from the voltage meter while under load. On the flat when the load reduced it came back on to full. Based on that I would say 20 miles pedal assisted is a bit pessimistic. The route is a mix of some uphill, some downhill and some flat.

Managed to get to work in 12 minutes (normally 15 on the road bike!) and got home in 15 minutes (normally 20+). Pretty happy so far.

tony b

Just Joined
Jun 11, 2013
having ridden bike more and starting to try the battery more.
i lose the first bar after the first good hill and generally seem to be on last green bar when i get to work (9.5 miles).
always get full bars on down hill or when i'm pulling.
home journey sees me dipping to yellow but still back to full , off load.
and i have just this week done a third run for the first time and,
surprise red and yellow pulled me just the same but off load only got me 3/4 leds back.
so best part of 30 miles on a full charge,
being as i bought the bike for exercise i'm pulling most of the ride but have two good hills and two medium hills going and 4 good ones on my way home.

carlosss

Just Joined
Feb 24, 2014

HELLO i just bought one and in all fairness nice bike couple of mods needed in my opinion but nothing that is crucial..tires although being tarmac tires are so skinny they need to be changed but again not critical.gearing is way out and i am not in the best of fitness needs a bigger chain ring and maybe another smaller ring, again not crucial i have seen 19mph on my gps with a bit of a pedal.i have not been off road on it but i dont think it would take much of a hammering but who knows.value for money....pukka....just ordered some rapid robs fitted some new stickers for tartability.
all in all unless you wanna look like your gran riding around on a bike with mary poppings or if you have £3500 to spend buy the burisch
once the new tyres arrive i will add a new pic
1781369_10152016361407946_1418231394_n.jpg

Reactions: jackhandy

norry

Jun 22, 2012
It's been a while since I've visited this forum but getting a email update has prompted me to complete my story on ebikes.

I ended up selling the Burisch, it was a lovely bike but I found that what I really needed was to get fitter (I still miss it on those windy, tired legs days), so I passed it on and purchased a road bike. I think one day I will look back into ebikes, but it won't be for a while yet. Thanks to all the advice and help this forum has offered and enjoy your bikes what ever they may be!

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
This controller would be a better upgrade because it has three PAS levels. It isn't speed limited, and it's easy to adjust the current for more power. It's also cheaper:
KU65 250W 6Mosfets Controller With LED Panel - BMSBATTERY
Hey Dave (Davey? David?).

I looked at the BMS site - and that controller (seeing as I have a burische myself - as well as a haibike - lucky me huh) - I cant see any indication from what they say there that one can 'adjust the current for more power' as you state in your post.

If you have a moment could you expand/explain?

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 4366

I cant see any indication from what they say there that one can 'adjust the current for more power' as you state in your post.

If you have a moment could you expand/explain?

Thanks.
Good question, which deserves a good answer. Here it is:

You adjust the current by taking the end-plate off the controller, and adding a bit of solder to the shunt. Without a wattmeter, about 30% of the length of the shunt will give a 30% increase in the current from 15 to 20 amps, which gives a corresponding increase in climbing torque at the expense of running out your battery more quickly. You can decrease the current by filing or crimping groves in the shunt. Both methods are often used by the factories. It's very common to see that your shunt has already been altered.

Here's one I did earlier:

Before

After

Reactions: Alan Quay

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Caveman ;-)

You wouldn't catch me doing that to all of my controllers, over the last few weeks to get about 30% more current, and confirming the results with my watt meter.