camcorder for helmet

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
no camera for morphix

well, got the 7 day shop camcorder......
gave it a test run round the block....... attached to cycle helmet. speeded it up to take only 4 video minutes from a 16 minute journey (dont want to bore you too much!!!!!) but it does make it look 'shaky' speeded up........ it was raining a little........thats the misty bit ......
camcorder easy to use.....edited out the date/time imprint.......

YouTube - e bike ride

regards
Nice quality for such an inexpensive little camera. I had to send mine back as it was faulty and after waiting 12 days they told me they don't know when they will get any replacements. Boo.

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
No camera for Wurly either.
I've been quietly follwing this thread and i thought i'd give the 7day shop camera a go. First one i ordered and paid for was 'out of stock', but their website let me go ahead a buy it!! so i ordered another with a smaller micro sd card. That arrived but the micro sd card was not working (probably due to being package in high static plastic). I complained and asked for a replacement sd card only to be told send the whole thing back for a replacement. I did this and patiently waited........and waited.
I sent them an email asking if the replacement had been sent and guess what, they don't have any replacements.
Thats it, i know when i am beaten. I'm asking for my money back now.
Anyone thinking of buying from 7dayshop, think again. I can't recommend them. I know it's cheap, but considering the hassle i really don't think they are worth bothering with.

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
I've been quietly follwing this thread and i thought i'd give the 7day shop camera a go. First one i ordered and paid for was 'out of stock', but their website let me go ahead a buy it!! so i ordered another with a smaller micro sd card. That arrived but the micro sd card was not working (probably due to being package in high static plastic). I complained and asked for a replacement sd card only to be told send the whole thing back for a replacement. I did this and patiently waited........and waited.
I sent them an email asking if the replacement had been sent and guess what, they don't have any replacements.
Anyone thinking of buying from 7dayshop, think again. I can't recommend them. I know it's cheap, but considering the hassle i really don't think they are worth bothering with.
hi, looks like you guys have been unlucky....
had the camera on today for a one hour 45 min journey....i turned on when i started and it has recorded about 40 minutes of the total.....the 40 minutes in the middle which was the least interesting as at the beginning i travelled up to a loch which sits at about 1300 ft and surrounded by snow covered mountains !!!! i thought it would run well over an hour and even up to one and half hour.......so disappointed with only 40 mins footage......
the addition to this post with key ring cameras looks very interesting as a hd version is available....
i will keep looking to see if i can get this type of camera that will record for about 2 hours so i can capture an afternoon journey....

anybody know of an inexpensive one ?

regards

iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
I have made a fair few purchases from them over the years and have always found them to be very good: low prices, quick at answering queries and when I did have a problem once it was quickly rectified.

Iain

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I've bought 2 or 3 things from them, and have found them to be consistently reliable.

They might be suffering from a Guardian article a few months back which described their initiative in basing themselves in the Channel Islands and thus avoiding VAT etc., which would inevitably have caused an increase in business. Perhaps they can't cope (hopefully it's only temporary!)

A

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Yes, i realise that i may have been unlucky, fair enough you find them very good. I was a bit annoyed about the fact i had to return the whole camera when all that was wrong was the micro sd card, of which (i guess) they have plenty of and it would have solved the problem......but hey ho i guess their system won't allow such a simple fix to a problem.
I have not given up the idea of a cheepo camera, i recently ordered one of those 808 key ring cameras from ebay, hopefully i'll have better luck with that one.:)

Victor

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 12, 2011
You could use one of these cams as a cctv stuck on the inside of your car rear screen with warning sticker. If you have your bikes on a carrier and nip off for a coffee this could offer an extra level of security.

Victor.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
7dayshop cameras rubbish

After seeing this thread and looking at some of the excellent quality of the videos I ordered one of these cams from 7dayshop :) Cost £16.99 delivered, bargain!
I just wanted to post a quick follow up to my post about the 7dayshop cameras which on the face of it look like great bargains but I'm sorry to say that hasn't been my experience at all..

I initially purchased the torch shaped one mentioned on this thread which was completely faulty and wouldn't work at all.. I returned it and after waiting 10 days for a replacement was told they didn't have a date for when or if they would be restocking the camera..

I re-ordered a different camera (the MD80) which claims to be the smallest DVR camera in the world and has a handy clip for clipping onto clothing etc.. looked like a great little camera from the reviews. It arrived quickly but stopped working within 3 days.. picture became blurry, the camera imaging sensor became loose inside the camera body, and the camera controls stopped responding...in short, these cameras are very low Chinese quality, they fall apart easily.

I may have been just unlucky with my two purchases, but I would recommend people avoid these cheap "bargains" at 7dayshop and look elsewhere..probably worth spending a bit more for a quality camera.

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
I just wanted to post a quick follow up to my post about the 7dayshop cameras which on the face of it look like great bargains but I'm sorry to say that hasn't been my experience at all..

I initially purchased the torch shaped one mentioned on this thread which was completely faulty and wouldn't work at all.. I returned it and after waiting 10 days for a replacement was told they didn't have a date for when or if they would be restocking the camera..

I re-ordered a different camera (the MD80) which claims to be the smallest DVR camera in the world and has a handy clip for clipping onto clothing etc.. looked like a great little camera from the reviews. It arrived quickly but stopped working within 3 days.. picture became blurry, the camera imaging sensor became loose inside the camera body, and the camera controls stopped responding...in short, these cameras are very low Chinese quality, they fall apart easily.

I may have been just unlucky with my two purchases, but I would recommend people avoid these cheap "bargains" at 7dayshop and look elsewhere..probably worth spending a bit more for a quality camera.
these inexpensive cameras have lots of limitations and i am looking for a helmet camera which has hd quality and image stabilisation and waterproof, so would expect to be paying a lot more for the next one i get....but the £13 experiment 7 day camcorder was ok for smooth roads but not very good when on uneven surfaces......

D

Deleted member 4366

I bought an expensive one, but it packed up after a few days of intermittent function.
A couple of things about the 7Dayshop one:

If there's a disruption to the power supply while it's working, it can corrupt the boot sector of the SD card. If you take the card out, put it in a card reader and re-format it, it'll come back to life. Some PCs struggle to mount it, so try a couple of different pcs.

One of mine wouldn't charge, so I opened it up and found that the battery wasn't connected! Now it's ok after soldering.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I bought the keyring camera mentioned either here or in another thread, surprisingly I think it's better than the 7Day shop ones.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Initially, I had some trouble with the card - it seemed it was particularly vulnerable to dust and dirt, so I stopped taking it OUT of the camera, and just connected with the USB line to download/wipe the card etc. Much more reliable after that.

Allen

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
While still on the subject of cameras and following on from my earlier post... I decided to have a look today at a way of mounting my Toshiba Camileo pocket camcorder onto my bike for a bike ride I had planned this afternoon..

Didn't get very far with mounting it onto handlebar, although it has a tripod thread it's not the most ideal design camera for going on a bike, with it's flip out LCD.. I then hit up on the idea of wedging it into my handlebar bag and as it seemed quite stable I decided to risk it and record my trip.

The camera is a high quality camcorder with 5 megapixel sensor capable of recording in HD 1080p, but I shot in VGA mode as I only had a 2GB card available. Quality came out surprisingly good, but camera shake was pretty bad.

Anyway I'm just uploading the result to YouTube and will post a new thread shortly for those interested! It's a 36 min trip across town.

Last edited:

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
I bought the keyring camera mentioned either here or in another thread, surprisingly I think it's better than the 7Day shop ones.
hi, any chance of seeing some footage and giving the product detail and spec ?
regards

aaannndddyyy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2007
Norwich Norfolk
hi, any chance of seeing some footage and giving the product detail and spec ?
regards
Here is a more in-depth and detailed website for this type of video camera
808 Car Keys Micro Camera, Spy Video Recorder, Review
And here for the HD version which I will be getting soon.
The REAL (#11) HD Key Cam Thread (POSTS #1-#3 answer most FAQs) - RC Groups
Mine is the Number 8 type an SD card is needed, I have a few from my mobile phones they cost around
5 pounds for a 4Gb off eBay.
Page 7 and 8 of this thread.
The original footage is better before being converted for YouTube.
From 5.20 + SD card, Go for a class 6 SD card or higher.
Spy Camera Key Chain Camcorder Video Cam 720x480 30fps on eBay (end time 22-Apr-11 16:45:48 BST)

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
That's the one thanks Andy, the buttons work better and the battery life seems to be greater as well, managed over 1hr with some life left, the 7day one died after 50mins. The keyring one also breaks the videos up into 2Gb 30 min 'chunks'....

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Page 7 and 8 of this thread.
The original footage is better before being converted for YouTube.
From 5.20 + SD card, Go for a class 6 SD card or higher.
Spy Camera Key Chain Camcorder Video Cam 720x480 30fps on eBay (end time 22-Apr-11 16:45:48 BST)
hi, just to clarify .....from where is the 'number 11' model which the linked usa discussion page outlines as the high quality version, obtained ?
the ebay link seems to be a lower quality version......same quality video capture as the 7 day camera ....not hd
regards

aaannndddyyy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2007
Norwich Norfolk
hi, just to clarify .....from where is the 'number 11' model which the linked usa discussion page outlines as the high quality version, obtained ?
the ebay link seems to be a lower quality version......same quality video capture as the 7 day camera ....not hd
regards
If you what th HD version read the second thread.
It will cost more for the HD version starting at 24.93, this is the best place I have found for the best prices and most options.
eletoponline365 items - Get great deals on New Car keychain HD Driving Recorder Camera Video H.264 items on eBay.co.uk Shops!

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010

aaannndddyyy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2007
Norwich Norfolk
If you what th HD version read the second thread.
It will cost more for the HD version starting at 24.93, this is the best place I have found for the best prices and most options.
eletoponline365 items - Get great deals on New Car keychain HD Driving Recorder Camera Video H.264 items on eBay.co.uk Shops!
My (#11) HD camera arrived today here are a few short videos cam on bars.
YouTube - DVR HD Keyring camera, Crystalyte 5304.
YouTube - Rush hour. ring road.