Camera advice needed

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Please read the NEEDS before replying as anything other than what I ask for is pointless

Many thanks

I have GoPro 3+ on my bike for a reason............

They take the EXTENDED life battery packs meaning no battery swapping for two hours. They simply plug in on top of the battery already in the camera.

GoPro Battery BacPac ABPAK-301 see image

Does anyone know of any other cameras, 4k now, that have either long life batteries that are REPLACEABLE not built in or that have a similar system.

Thank you

Plas man

Pedelecer
May 12, 2022
If it’s like the car sat nav you charge at 5 volt , cannot it be run/charged of a dynohub ?

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I just use a USB lead between my battery USB port (or display USB port) and the camera so the camera battery is continuously charged on my bike rides

Reactions: cyclebuddy

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I just use a USB lead between my battery USB port (or display USB port) and the camera so the camera battery is continuously charged on my bike rides
Same here... a short 6" lead from my displays micro-USB directly into the camera keeps it running all the time. I suppose if you haven't got a 5v USB at the handlebar an external power-pack might be an answer, because I'm not aware of any action-camera that can run for much longer than 2 hours on a single battery... and you need to remember to change them too (if you notice in time) which is a PITA.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Even if available, the same capacity extended battery setup wouldn't last 2 hours shooting 4K. My GoPro Hero 7 Black uses more power when shooting 4K, than 1080P. The batteries last about 1 hour and 20 minutes @1080P, about 40 minutes @4K. So I shoot 1080P. Three batteries last about 4 hours in total. My GoPro beeps when it runs low on power and stops recording, which I usually hear because it's mounted to my helmet's chinguard. Because it's on my chin, attaching a USB power bank is difficult, not least because if I do so without adapting a waterproof case, it'll go kaput in the rain. Hence three batteries and a dual charger. For very long rides, I charge using the dual charger powered by the powerbank in my rucksack. I don't use a waterproof case because I worry about overheating. The GoPro Hero 7 Black seems waterproof enough without a waterproof case, when metal covers are closed. It's metal casing is in effect air-cooled on my chin, and slightly air-warmed by my bad breath.

@matthewslack and/or @PC2017 have adapted waterproof cases for their GoPros to connect external power banks, IIRC, but I might not be recalling correctly.

Last edited:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
My GoPro Hero 7 Black uses more power when shooting 4K, than 1080P.
Is there a FullHd mode on Hero 7? 4K has no stabilization, so it is just for a show and to fool ignorant buyers like me.
I must say I am quite disappointed, but I only got it yesterday, so still learning.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Is there a FullHd mode on Hero 7?
Have you got the GoPro Hero 7 Black?

If so, how to select resolution is on page 19:

https://gopro.com/content/dam/help/hero7-black/manuals/HERO7Black_UM_ENG_REVA.pdf

I must say I am quite disappointed, but I only got it yesterday, so still learning.
What are you disappointed about? It can't compete with the Arri Alexa Mini, too small and cheap.

4K has no stabilization, so it is just for a show and to fool ignorant buyers like me.
See page 97:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Az.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Have you got the GoPro Hero 7 Black?

What are you disappointed about?
I have Hero 7 Black. So far disappointed with everything. Sound and picture.

But thanks to you I just found I can change aspect ratio. For some reason stabilization works for 16:9 and not for 4:3.

Thanks. Will try again tomorrow.

I will also buy a better SD card. Maybe it will help too.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have Hero 7 Black. So far disappointed with everything. Sound and picture.
The default colour profile is horrible, too contrasty with weird colours. Try the flat colour profile, which allows more adjustment in post processing if needed. Here are the settings I use for night and day captures of number plates, which was my only reason for buying it.

RES|FPS
1080/24

FOV
Superview

Stabilisation
Auto

Protune
On

Shutter
1/384

White balance
Auto

ISO min

ISO max

Sharpness
High

Colour

Flat

The sound is pretty good considering it's just an action camera, if you listen with a good pair of ear cans. Even decent cameras have crap sound, rubbish noisy preamps, which is why audio is recorded separately for TV programmes and movies etc.

I will also buy a better SD card. Maybe it will help too.
Best use their recommended SD cards:

If you're shooting 4K, that may not be possible without original GoPro batteries. You can buy them on ebay as "New old stock". Generic batteries can't supply enough current for 4K recording, camera cuts out - SD cards are blamed for cutouts quite often, but it's caused by generic batteries, if you're not using a slow or damaged SD card. Original GoPro battery lifespan is longer.

I bought my GoPro batteries from this dude:

Last edited:
  • Informative

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
That is very helpful Guerney. Thanks a lot.

For number plates I would use different settings

4K/60 and start experimenting with max ISO at 6400. Do you find ISO 800 good enough for night time? Sharpness set to high might involve to much post processing and blur details.

I ordered Extreme Pro SD card. It has marginally better specs.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
For number plates I would use different settings

4K/60 and start experimenting with max ISO at 6400. Do you find ISO 800 good enough for night time? Sharpness set to high might involve to much post processing and blur details.
For me at least, ISO 6400 is too grainy, so is anything upwards of ISO 800 at night. Underexposing with lower grain (lower ISO of course = smaller grain) leaves more adjustment scope when post processing - you can't get blown out detail back, and great big grains obscure number plates. Stabilisation can increase blur, as frames are rotated, cropped, and enlarged to produce stable footage. I've mucked about ad nauseam with settings, those are what do the job for me. Experiment, see what works best for your uses.

VLC can brighten up dark footage during playback, so you don't necessarily have to edit and process to view your night footage clearly. VLC can also screengrab.

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Sideways answer:

Later GoPro models do not require external case for weather protection, so battery swap is a few seconds, and needed every 90 to 120 minutes. Fits well with my need for breaks.

From I think Hero 9, certainly 10, the battery door with through hole for cable allows external power and unlimited runtime. Weather protection is reduced.

Swapping the door is a two second, no tools job.

I tried the door and cable, went back to swapping batteries as the hassle factor is low enough to evade detection.

IMG_20240521_105713952.jpg

IMG_20240521_105755375.jpg

IMG_20240521_105839703.jpg

IMG_20240521_105925795.jpg

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
From I think Hero 9, certainly 10, the battery door with through hole for cable allows external power and unlimited runtime. Weather protection is reduced.
Cheers! Interesting... I'll see if those exist for the 7 Black. I may buy another one for bike mounting in fair weather, now that they're cheaper and can be had for about £135 from Webuy.com, when in stock.

The GoPro Hero 7 Black is waterproof without a case, has been rain-proof so far.

While disguised as a pedestrian last week, I happened to have my GoPro in my pocket as I exited Salford train station... and almost walked into a group of about 12 guys and gals engaged in a very loud shouting argument about money. "Where's my money?!!?", "I'll show you your money!!" etc. Because it's such a small camera which starts recording in about two seconds after pressing the "Record" button, I considered whipping it out of my Craghoppers Kiwi shirt's hidden zipped front pocket and filming the ensuing bloody carnage from a safe distance, unobtrusively with the GoPro for punters on Youtube (with a soundtrack)... but I was in a hurry and the smooth metal case of the GoPro 7 Hero Black is slippery, thought I might drop it during all the excitement... so I've ordered a thick lanyarded rubberish case for next time that and other amusing things occur while I'm disguised as my secret identity, on my days off cycling:

I'd buy video recording glasses for stuff like that, but video quality is rubbish, built-in battery life is too short, and I don't wear glasses.

I used my GoPro to record wrongdoing in a care home recently - very useful to have a small fast activated reasonable quality video camera handy. Less obvious than a phone, can go unnoticed depending on how you point it at the action. The videos of the care home wrongdoings have been sent to the Care Quality Commission, who provide guidance about care home recording. The care home is denying it, so the matter will probably be escalated to the Ombudsman by the victim's relatives.

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Cheers! Interesting... I'll see if those exist for the 7 Black. I may buy another one for bike mounting in fair weather, now that they're cheaper and can be had for about £135 from Webuy.com, when in stock.

The GoPro Hero 7 Black is waterproof without a case, has been rain-proof so far.

While disguised as a pedestrian last week, I happened to have my GoPro in my pocket as I exited Salford train station... and almost walked into a group of about 12 guys and gals engaged in a very loud shouting argument about money. "Where's my money?!!?", "I'll show you your money!!" etc. Because it's such a small camera which starts recording in about two seconds after pressing the "Record" button, I considered whipping it out of my Craghoppers Kiwi shirt's hidden zipped front pocket and filming the ensuing bloody carnage from a safe distance, unobtrusively with the GoPro for punters on Youtube (with a soundtrack)... but I was in a hurry and the smooth metal case of the GoPro 7 Hero Black is slippery, thought I might drop it during all the excitement... so I've ordered a thick lanyarded rubberish case for next time that and other amusing things occur while I'm disguised as my secret identity, on my days off cycling:

I'd buy video recording glasses for stuff like that, but video quality is rubbish, built-in battery life is too short, and I don't wear glasses.

I used my GoPro to record wrongdoing in a care home recently - very useful to have a small fast activated reasonable quality video camera handy. Less obvious than a phone, can go unnoticed depending on how you point it at the action. The videos of the care home wrongdoings have been sent to the Care Quality Commission, who provide guidance about care home recording. The care home is denying it, so the matter will probably be escalated to the Ombudsman by the victim's relatives.
I recorded a rather quick motorbike a couple of days ago. It passed by in one direction driven so hard it was audible continuously even when out of sight until over a hill and far way. When I heard it coming back there was time to set up the micro tripod and record it passing.

Still trying to extract reg, 10pm light not ideal, but from white line correlations speed seems to be between 55 and 70 m/s...

Looking for a frequency analyser app for Android that could listen on one device whilst playing video on another to measure by Doppler effect...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Still trying to extract reg
No chance at whatever settings your camera was using - too much blur even when the plate is near the middle of the frame where there's less motion blur. The cool de-blur software rozzers use might struggle, I don't know. Your camera with it's newer sensor, would be better than mine at that, using the same manual settings. The only automatic setting is ISO, which I leave for the camera to decide between ISO 100 and ISO 800, so that I don't have to change anything as day turns to night. 1/480s or faster shutter speed might have recorded that plate? I don't know what shutter speeds and frame rate combos GoPro have made available at various resolutions on your cameras, but they'll be in the manuals, or can be discovered by fiddling about with the User Interface.

Looking for a frequency analyser app for Android that could listen on one device whilst playing video on another to measure by Doppler effect...
There are free Digital Audio Workstation programs for various platforms, and many high quality frequency analyser VST plugins are free these days too.

He didn't turn red.

Last edited:
Reactions: matthewslack

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've ordered a thick lanyarded rubberish case
I rike it a rot. Rubbery 4mm in thickness. Has a strong lanyard. I'll worry less about dropping my GoPro during handheld off-bike recordings of stuff. Locations of buttons are marked. Requires removal to swap batteries. Although there are holes for mics and speaker, I worry sound recording level will be reduced a bit. Will test. It's gonna get hot recording too long wearing this thick rubber overcoat, therefore shorter recordings only when thus protected. I didn't buy my Hero 7 Black new (£195 second hand from webuy.com, can be bought for about £135 now), but it's the sort of original GoPro accessory they should have provided with the camera.

Last edited:

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
I found this on London Camera Exchange, I have shopped there for 20 years, once spending £15k on my new camera gear (I am a photo journalist)

Came today

DJI Osmo action camera. Pre owned, mint, 6 months guarantee

£45 yes I think they had the wrong price

Camera
Case for mounting
3 batteries and charger
Filters

IMG_1797.JPG

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
£45 yes I think they had the wrong price
Bloody hell that's cheap! Huge mistake! Which version is it?

I was going to buy one, but didn't because of two reasons:

1. DJI's online activation requirement. Needs to be activated online before it will function as a camera, or so I read.

2. Inspecting footage closely on Youtube, DJI have made the aperture too large - consequently the plane of focus is too narrow. Especially in low light, objects too far away become blurry; shallow depth of field... which could be a problem when recording number plates.

Therefore I look forward to reading about your experiences, and seeing night recordings of vehicle number plates.

Try the settings above in post #9 (apart from Protune - that's just GoPro's word for manual settings).

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Bloody hell that's cheap! Huge mistake! Which version is it?

I was going to buy one, but didn't because of two reasons:

1. DJI's online activation requirement. Needs to be activated online before it will function as a camera, or so I read.

2. Inspecting footage closely on Youtube, they've made the aperture is too large - plane of focus is too narrow. Especially in low light, objects too far away become blurry; shallow depth of field... which could be a problem when recording number plates.

Therefore I look forward to reading about your experiences.

It is the 1st, the 4k original theat reviews say are = to the GoPro 7.

YES it was wrongly priced according to CEX, Ebay etc.

LCE do make mistakes.

I am into and always have been, photography, I bought a MINT Nikon F23, for £295, film camera, when it arrived (I knew the prices) the MOTOR drive was attached to the camera at £295, when removed the camera sticker aws also £295.

I believe my autism is lucky LOL

MIDDLE ONE, it even came with the Nikkor F1.4 lensDscn1855.jpg

Reactions: guerney

Related Articles

Advertisers