Case studies - how has your electric bike changed your life?

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
Good to see you MF, nice to hear you’re thinking about e-bikes, I love mine and would not change it, I bought it not knowing about regulation changes in 2015 banning direct throttles, fortunately my bike is protected by the Grandfather Clause permitting throttles on pre 2016 bikes.
Still have my collection of m/c’s and hope to get back into the garage as soon as my condition improves. You’ve chosen a very good site for knowledge about e-bikes, there are plenty of good knowledgeable guys here who are able to answer most questions and e-biker could have.
What bike do you have in mind? We will meet someday when an MM ride-out gets near Fakenham.
Look after yourself........

Jim
Jimo I will get in touch with you via MM Forum over the next few days. Think that is the correct thing to do as we are straying off topic here.

DBrown67

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2017
Leeds
I would say it hasn't, really. But when you consider I've been a taxi driver for 20 years and just 2 months ago quit and now don't even have a daily car... that speaks volumes. I haven't missed it one jot. A few years ago I felt like I'd lost an arm if I didn't have use of a car.

I do have a couple of classic cars to fall back on that get little use so if I really did need to use a car I could. But for everyday shopping and getting about the ebike has all bases covered. I just have to watch how much I buy at the supermarket.

Reactions: Nev

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
DB add a trailer and you can buy more :) :):).

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Practice makes perfect, with panniers and the trailer I can carry as you can guess quite a bit.

Reactions: LeighPing

Bus biker55

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Tyne and Wear
My e bike (tern gsd s00) has probably been the best purchase I have ever made. I am a bus driver, and in 2018 had a slight heart scare causing my driving licence to be temporarily revoked. I am back at work now (after a lot of lifestyle changes) and decided to replace my car with an electric cargo bike. My commute to work is now a pleasure, even in the foul weather we are currently having. My bike has now become my "chill out zone". I save time going to work most days and save my sanity by not sitting in traffic for 30 minutes before sitting in traffic on my bus all day long. My ride home is my opportunity to relax and to forget about the rigours of the day. In short my bike has made me a happier and healthier person

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
My e bike (tern gsd s00) has probably been the best purchase I have ever made. I am a bus driver, and in 2018 had a slight heart scare causing my driving licence to be temporarily revoked. I am back at work now (after a lot of lifestyle changes) and decided to replace my car with an electric cargo bike. My commute to work is now a pleasure, even in the foul weather we are currently having. My bike has now become my "chill out zone". I save time going to work most days and save my sanity by not sitting in traffic for 30 minutes before sitting in traffic on my bus all day long. My ride home is my opportunity to relax and to forget about the rigours of the day. In short my bike has made me a happier and healthier person
Same here, my rides to work & back are my time to relax and I can put as much effort in as I want or take it easy. Even today I had a day off but still went out in cold freezing rain and loved every minute of it. And of course the traffic, I hit none on my bike. If I drove it would take 20 minutes + a 20 minute walk from the car park but I can cycle in 20 minutes and put my bike right outside the office.

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Before I get too serious about riding I first have to be sure I still have the balance sorted out, I’ve built many model planes, last one was 5m span, prob is/was that I can no longer look skyward without loosing my balance, two years ago I had to sell my 26’ 4 berth cruiser that i’d had for 30 years and operated ‘single handed’ all that time because of same loss of balance after my heart attacks, so I’m very envious of you guys that have no troubles at all.
Before all this happened I spent 28-1/2 years in the fire service where one was always very active, after that 12-1/2 years running my own business and again very active - all until the heart attacks that changed my life completely.

Jim

Last edited:
Reactions: Eagleowl

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, I put the stuff in my panniers and tow a trailer, I only collect copper, cable, brass and motors (out of electrical appliances). I take everything out and get it weighed on the small set of scales. I don't make a great deal but enjoy it.

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
Hi, I put the stuff in my panniers and tow a trailer, I only collect copper, cable, brass and motors (out of electrical appliances). I take everything out and get it weighed on the small set of scales. I don't make a great deal but enjoy it.
Thanks for that, you had me baffled.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not even a mum or dad towing a sprog along.

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
Not even a mum or dad towing a sprog along.
No, that sounds really dangerous and now I've had to look them up - bloody hell.
My Dad used to have a seat where I sat behind him 60 years ago and after decades I did see one of those child seats recently on a You Tube video where the bike fell over and the child fell out, I thought they would have been banned.

HelenJ

Administrator
Staff member
May 19, 2011
Morning all. I am on the hunt for silver linings. Has anyone switched to e-bike from public transport in the light of COVID19 for essential journeys and/or have a positive story to tell about the role of their pedelec at the moment? Can you message me if so please? Am hoping there might be a few positive stories I can combine for a small article. Thanks everyone and hope you and your families are keeping well.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I can send you a picture of my child cycle trailer conversation to a scrap / load carrying cycle trailer if you want. No particularly exciting though.

Pedelecs

Editorial
May 20, 2015
I'm happy to look all contributions Raboa, thanks for replying. Will wait and see if others contact me first, make sure we have enough different ideas for a piece. Cheers :)

Bus biker55

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Tyne and Wear
Morning all. I am on the hunt for silver linings. Has anyone switched to e-bike from public transport in the light of COVID19 for essential journeys and/or have a positive story to tell about the role of their pedelec at the moment? Can you message me if so please? Am hoping there might be a few positive stories I can combine for a small article. Thanks everyone and hope you and your families are keeping well.