Case studies - how has your electric bike changed your life?

AlisonMc

Just Joined
May 10, 2016
Scotland
Well done you, as a keen photigrapher I can see your hobby getting you out and about, why not try "pods" at campsites, all the comfort of camping (in luxury) but no tent to out up or take down.
Good luck, hope you get some great shots.

Being a new member of this forum, and have just purchased my first eBike. How has it changed my life. First the question of age enters the scene and I am now having to consider how to get nearer to my subject when out on a Photography shoot. Second and most important my wife has just died and now have to tackle everything that a married couple had to do by myself. My wife and I had discussed getting bikes (bearing in mind that we (were fast approaching our 80's ) I have now given up the comforts of touring with a caravan and have bought a bike, I am now to buy a bike rack and a small tent and intend to get away by myself when the Spring comes along. Well how has buying a E-Bike changed me. The main thing it allows me to get nearer my subject and to keep on enjoying the outdoor life a while longer. Just as the Caravan mover helped to keep caravanning the bike will assist in my Landscape Photography - I will keep the reader informed.

Reactions: Eagleowl

AndyEBike

Finding my (electric) wheels
"Lose weight, stop drinking, take more exercise." It was the Cardiology Consultant looming over my hospital bed that caused me to buy an ebike. My blood pressure was sky high and I was a type 2 diabetic. I was overweight although my drinking amounted to about five pints of cider a week and, although I have a fairly physical job helping to run a campsite, I knew I needed to do more. I've ridden bikes for years - I had one of the first mountain bikes (a Specialized Streetstomper that cost a small fortune over 30 years ago) and I'd taken part in early racing - before the super fit cyclocross guys arrived - and trials ( anyone remember the Wendover Bash?). Latterly I'd ridden a Specialized Hardrock but the first bit of road leaving home was an uphill drag that had me exhausted after a mile and discouraged me from leaping on the bike regularly. The campsite started hiring out ebikes and I did the research beforehand that resulted in our purchase of Carrera Crossfires. Borrowing one when they weren't hired out was a revelation. I still got my exercise but it was more fun than torture. That first uphill slog was easy and I was soon planning routes for our hirers. As we hire for a day or half day they needed to be a decent length so I rode between 15 and 20 miles each time.

Borrowing the site's bike was a pain and I wanted to throw it about a bit in the woods(we are near Tamar Trails on the Devon/Cornwall border) so I bit the bullet and bought a Cube Cross. Not quite a full blown trail shredder but great for what I need. End result - I've lost almost two stone, my diabetes medication has been halved. I still hanker after a cider though.

To those that say I am " cheating" (one mountain biker sneered that a couple of weeks ago as I overtook him) I would reply that by that definition gears are cheating, having a light frame is cheating. However I don't care. I am now falling back in love with cycling and going distances that I would never do on a "normal" bike and discovering new parts of a lovely area every time.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I've been riding bikes for 30 odd years, relatively fit and just turned 39!.

I commute to work and back daily by bike, traffic makes any other transport not viable.

My last bike was in need of a fair amount spending on it, and had seen the Gtech adverts which had planted the seed.

I must say it's transformed my ride to work and back, lugging the old bike into the wind after a day at work (stood up all day) was my biggest bugbear but now it isn't an issue at all!.

It lets you enjoy all the good bits of biking without the bad bits, I enjoy the ride home now even after a tiring day and even took it out at the weekend just for fun!.

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
This is a story about my mum...

This is not my mum... as my mum is 65 year old and does not post on Instagram... but she got this bike two weeks ago. Its the WINORA RADIUS.

As you can see it's low to the ground and really compact, so she can get it into the house without effort. We even pushed the seat right down. So she can get on and of comfortably (she is 5,2 in height) and lacks confidence especially when riding, preferring her feet to touch the ground if needs be.

Well this bike is a little rocket, it is nippy and responsive with great acceleration. I send her this video and say look how nice it is, aren't you glad we didn't get a cheapo bike?

she agrees but says, 'can I attach adult stabalizers to it' !!

I ignore this, and the next day we go out for a little cycle and I ask her if she wants to go up this hill

Below the tree line and block of flats the gradient is the same, this is a long steep hill.

She has only ever ridden a bike around the park once every five years or so and she says she cant go up there....and I say lets give it a try.... So I start of on my cube, 10 seconds later she is past me. She (with the help of the Yamaha) is caning, both me and this leviathan of a hill. Lets just say she was more then pleased and no longer wants stabalizers

Festivejelly

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2016
Bristol
I know im a bit late to the scene here but having my ebike has literally changed my life.

Since owning it i've lost a ton of weight as it allows me to do the exercise I love without worrying about my knee that got injured when I was serving in the RAF.

It literally makes cycling an absolute pleasure and better still I get to use it every day to commute around a 22 round trip. I would never be able to do this without the ebike.

bigray69

Aug 1, 2016
swindon
20160824_122400.jpg 20160824_122534.jpg Well had my ktm e-street for 3 weeks now go out most lunch times lost over 5 pounds legs feel better.
My hips and knees are feeling better and started to get a buzz after.
love going out in country side knowing i can get back with ease if needs be and except for a wasp that stung me yesterday had no problems would highly recommend one to any one thats thinking of getting one they make you smile

SSentif

Oct 12, 2016
Leeds
My e-bike has transformed my working day. we moved house about 7 months ago and I was dreading the commute. I used to be able to walk to work but the new place is 3.5 miles away and very very hilly. The walk would just take too much time out of the day to do it regularly. We do have a car but my husband and I like to work slightly different hours (we work together) so only one of us could travel by car. I saw the gtech advert and decided to give it a go.
It is fantastic. We have no shower at work and if I had been able to make it up (and down) the steep hills I would have been stinky in the office on a normal bike. The ebike gives me a moderate exercise without putting any pressure on any of my joints so no injuries so far. I commute to work on it, do to the shops and cycle to golf on it. I have even invented a strap so i can take 3 clubs on my back. I have recently fitted a lockable basket to the front so I can carry more shopping than just my rucksack.
I will never give up this bike. It makes going to work a pleasure and how many people can say that!

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
I will never give up this bike. It makes going to work a pleasure and how many people can say that!
I wouldn't say a pleasure but makes going to work less stressful. I joined the revolution 4 years ago and it would take me 20 minutes longer by car than bike because getting to work is the same (20 minutes) but I would have to park my car 1 mile away where I park my eBike next to the office. Having osteoporosis I have been told I will need two new knees so the eBike's are a Godsend.

Cobell

May 8, 2017
Hi everyone

I’m looking to publish a few stories on the home page ‘news’ area to give examples of the various reasons people buy one and therefore the benefits of e-bikes.

We had this great example a few months back of getting heart-patient Nick back in the saddle. I’d really like a whole host more to show all the different reasons to spur others on in similar situations to try an e-bike.

Dodgy knees, cracking on a bit (it comes to us all!), wanting to get fit, commuting, other health issues.. I’d like to publish people’s experiences in their own words. How they chose their bike, what they do with it, how it’s changed their lives. It certainly doesn’t have to be expertly written and I’d like to show ‘every day’ people with ‘every day’ problems, as well as anything more unusual that their e-bike has overcome, hopefully with a picture of you and your bike too.

I have PMd a couple of members already discussing their experiences on here, so still hoping they’re not going to be shy..

Similarly if any businesses are using e-bikes I’d like to hear about that too.

Please PM me if you'd like to share your story.

Thanks everyone :)
Yes..absolutely. ..Part of my job involved walking around a very large site, unfortunately in May 2016 I suffered a Stroke, despite being a fit non smoking man in my mid 50's...walking around is now slow and very tiring due to a weak right side...when I returned to work I was confined to just one small area. So I thought about getting a bike. A conventional one was out of the question due to my weaker leg so I searched for an electric one, I didnt need anything flashy and expensive..just a 20inch folding one to get around, and I finally settled on an E Dragon ( superb bike) I had to fight tooth and Nail with the Health&Saftey rep to be allowed to use it (because of my stroke) but I now have the green light and it has been a new lease of life for me and I can get around again...it's a cool looking bike too..so says my Grandson.

Ian Garfield

Just Joined
May 10, 2017
Lichfield
Hi everyone

I’m looking to publish a few stories on the home page ‘news’ area to give examples of the various reasons people buy one and therefore the benefits of e-bikes.

We had this great example a few months back of getting heart-patient Nick back in the saddle. I’d really like a whole host more to show all the different reasons to spur others on in similar situations to try an e-bike.

Dodgy knees, cracking on a bit (it comes to us all!), wanting to get fit, commuting, other health issues.. I’d like to publish people’s experiences in their own words. How they chose their bike, what they do with it, how it’s changed their lives. It certainly doesn’t have to be expertly written and I’d like to show ‘every day’ people with ‘every day’ problems, as well as anything more unusual that their e-bike has overcome, hopefully with a picture of you and your bike too.

I have PMd a couple of members already discussing their experiences on here, so still hoping they’re not going to be shy..

Similarly if any businesses are using e-bikes I’d like to hear about that too.

Please PM me if you'd like to share your story.

Thanks everyone :)
Hello

I have always had a bike commute 15 miles a day for years. Retired from teaching and bought an e bike to get me up the hills. My Kalkhoff was great when I bought it in 2011. For the last 9 months Krapkoff and 50frithty cycles have not been able to supply a worn replacement part so I have an expensive pile of scrap in the garage. I have bought a new bike and not an e bike from Krapkoff. This was a £2000 bike and sit cannot be used, this us a disgrace.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
It's transformed everything.
So wished I'd had a mountain bike when I was younger, but bringing up kids and nursing just got in the way. My hubs had gone on for years about getting bikes, but 4 wheeled, japanese speed freak cars also got in the way.
3 years ago I gave in and we bought some hardtails (mountain biking looked good), but they didn't quite cut the mustard. Then a couple of cheap road bikes, which I enjoyed just didn't like the riding position (now converted into flat bar hybrids). Hubs researched into eMTB and 18 months ago we bought the Haibikes.
WELL WHAT CAN I SAY :D, why had we waited for so long !!! Best thing since before sliced bread. I'm out for longer, out more often, I'm much fitter, legs look great in lycra (so much so it's allowed me to have a bit of a ladies mid life crisis and get the tattoo's done :eek:) and it's helped my mental health illness greatly, doesn't matter how I feel, them endorphins are a tonic.
Ebikes have literally changed my life, they should be prescribed on the NHS.
Dom

oddsere

May 4, 2017
pontefract
bought 2nd hand roodog not rode electric bike before best thing I have bought what a difference it makes im waiting for kidney transplant so was finding it hard on the old push iorn

Reactions: Eagleowl

Clara

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
I hadn't ridden a bike for many decades, and after retiring early, i had been living a sedentary life style. I live in a very hilly area and decided to buy an ebike. I have just done a 23 mile ride down the back lanes. I could never have imagined doing that a couple of years ago.

DannyWik

Just Joined
May 25, 2017
UK
My story starts a few years ago, back in 2008 when I was cycling across London daily. I was fit, very fit but after changing job and stopping that exercise, I still believed myself to be fit but was far from the case.

My wife and I had tried "the gym" but it usually stalls, as has the most recent attempt and I wanted to start cycling again as that's something I used to enjoy and could do but it was going to be a battle to have my wife join in as she has been scarred by *scary music* "the bike ride from hell" (aka near divorce!).

A work colleague at the time mentioned how he and his 8 year old had done the Tissington Trail, a converted disused railway line in Derbyshire. Being somewhat competitive, I suggested to the family that we go and try it. Not long after starting, my wife was complaining about her saddle and I noticed it was too low which was causing extra fatigue. I addressed that but couldn't do much about the comfort. She's not a keen cycling and it was all rather uphill. After a few miles (handful), she dug in, near to tears and refused to go any further, stopping at a coffee shop with our young daughter at the time. That competitive part kicked in and I said that since my colleague and his 8 year old could do it, at least my son and I (he was about 12) could go to the top and come back. We did so but my wife still wouldn't move on our return and I had to go back to the start, drive the car to where she was and pick her up. Not really a great advert for "come cycling, it will be fun!".

On the Monday after, I recounted the experience to my colleague. His response was priceless..."Oh we only do the first mile or so."

So, to present day, I was able to get a loan e-bike from a nearby shop for the afternoon to take away and try and I got her on it and I tried to follow her on a normal bike. Off she went and raced up the hill, left me standing. I arrived at the top, wheezing and puffing and she just casually said "That was hard work!".

Next stop, bike shop to try some others, my test was whether she would come back with a smile. She did and we ended up buying two e-bikes. I had to get one as otherwise she would leave me for dust.

The real point though is that beyond age 50, we just want cycling to be enjoyable and not a chore, take away the hills, the unpleasant parts and lets try and have fun. We're not out to prove anything to anyone and even though she feels she'll hold me back, if I want a workout and to put in more effort, I can just dial back the assist on the hills while she can add more.

Everyone that i've spoken to has been pretty positive and most have expressed not dissimilar stories.

Last night, I pulled out from a junction at the bottom of a long hill and another cyclist took a more speedy attack at it. Almost immediately, I was passing him with ease and he shouted "That's cheating!", to which I shouted back that it was the only way I was going to avoid divorce, to which he responded "fair enough!". At the top, I stopped, he pulled up and we had a chat and he said it would suit his wife and I think he went away thinking.

I have been out pretty much every evening since getting it and enjoy the rides, I can look at hills with a different emotion although my emotions towards Google Maps routing me through a magical mystery tour along a bridal way through what felt like an enchanted forest tonight was a bit special. I think i'll be looking at my routes more carefully in future!

However, it was a 24 mile ride that I wouldn't have even contemplated before and that's the difference.

Reactions: Eagleowl and Gaz

philliptjohnson

Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2017
Washington
I was a keen cyclist for years but a back issue that I struggled with got progressively worse to the point where I could no longer ride. I recently had a discectomy and can now ride again but want to take it really easy to avoid my back issues returning. An electric bike enables me to cycle.

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
I might offer a few words of caution... I like you enjoy this later life freedom and the way an e-bike make you forget your age, but, last week I went on , what I can only term as, a Hard Ride. Went with my son on his unpowered bike but the sheer physicality of manhandling the heavy e-bike over 20 miles of rough terrain was great fun but left me with aching shoulders and wrists especially from the downhill bits. When he said we were only half way I sort of gulped, but the light was fading and we made our way home.
2 days recovery and I am fit for more, but not sure I can manage the 40 miles..
There is more to going off road than climbing hills...
Yes, I find the rougher stuff hard on the arms, especially Cairngorm tracks! SOOooo stony! So I tend to stick to forest trails and the likes of Glenlivet bike trails when more excitement needed!