Case studies - how has your electric bike changed your life?

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
I know this is an old thread but if gets one person back on a bike then it's worth the effort. I am 71 years of age this year. I retired from the fire service at the age of 46 with moderately severe spinal injuries. I kept reasonably busy as a facilities manager with a large government dept but my injuries took a turn for the worse resulting in two further major operations. Still I kept as active as I could but gradually did less and less until I had a heart attack over two years ago. My spinal degradation also progressed quite rapidly until I was only able to walk very short distances and only then with a walking frame. After the heart attack I was determined to make an effort to get on the move and my doctor suggested a bike. I laughed of course barely being able to walk but a short time later there was a cycling event in Warrington and the lass on the advice stall suggested an ebike. I thought about it but my first option was to buy a cheap ordinary bike and see how I went on. Well, surprisingly, my back pain actually receded when sat on the bike and I was actually able to pedal fairly comfortably. Balance was a problem due to difficulty starting from rest and my wobbles were positively lethal until I got some speed up. I struggled but improved daily. My only concern was overdoing it and not being physically able to get home. This is where the ebike came in. It gave me the confidence to cover greater distances knowing I had the facility in the Bosch motor to get home with greatly reduced effort. Launching from rest is improved but still not brilliant. I just wait till all the traffic had moved off before moving or use cycle lanes as much as possible. My fitness has improved greatly and I look forward to going out every day if I can. I use the motor as little as possible but it is there when I do have need of it. It has changed my life more than you can possibly imagine so if you are giving it some thought just go for it. It's the best thing I could possibly have done.
Keep it up!!

Iangee

Just Joined
Dec 15, 2018
I have already posted on here, but let me tell of the new changes. My wife is disabled. Over the last ten years she has had various mobility scooters and by trial and error we ended up with a three wheeler which had the power to the front wheel that had a quick detachable battery and tiller. I would walk with her but would soon start to flag as my fitness levels were so poor. So to overcome this I bought a cheap ebike off eBay. What FUN. This created a new problem. My range was now better than my wife's and of course my bike went much faster!
I saw a wheelchair tractor (this is like a front wheel powered cycle with a battery on the headstock and clamps to attach the same to the frame of a wheelchair so it can be used to power the wheelchair and effectively change a wheelchair into a powered trike)..
With a small engineered mod it was attached to the seat part of her scooter. As the mod was completed I had to try it out. If ebiking was fun this was a complete revelation.
So I took it home and waited for a warm day.
I suggested a trip round our local tescos and so she could get an idea of the controls I parked the car in a quiet part of the car park and she sat down on it while I locked the car door. I turned around to find that she was gone.

I looked for her and the saw her riding the now cycle powered scooter with the biggest grin I have seen on her face in years. Whether the scooter is an etrike or not the effect has been brilliant. A trip down to town was a doddle using cycle paths
A trip through local woods was accomplished and suddenly a new world of adventures beckons for us both

Whether it is legal I would not like to discuss but what I can say without any hesitation is that without my getting my ebike my wife would not be enjoying her life so much.

We will be taking both to Holland later this year and use the machines to enjoy the bulbfields. Completely new horizons now beckon. I am just about to fit a solar panel on our camper to charge both her scooter and my bike so that we will not be tied to seeking electric hook ups for that purpose.

Touring is taking on a new prospective for us both.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
My hubby and me have had our electric bikes for 2 years or so now and i have previously posted on this thread about how it changed our lives, but now we are 2 years older/wiser/creakier it does no harm to reassess the issue if only to give fellow seniors out there some incentive to get an ebike.
I suffer from a chronic back problem and to varying degrees it aches all the time. My husband has arthiritis in his knee and his hand. We live in the hilly North of Bolton in Lancashire, the Pennine foothills are on our doorstep and we live on the side of steep moorland. It is lovely, but hills are not your friend when you get older and we are both in our sixties.
We don't use the bikes every week due to the weather, especially here in Lancashire. We are definitely only fair weather riders but it matters not as we have the bikes ready to go in our garage whenever the fancy takes us. So don't worry about getting a bike and feeling obliged to use it frequently. We only ride about 12 to 15 miles because that is what suits us and we still get an injection of ardenalin and energy from that hours ride. It's just lovely to get out and experience the countryside and we still get a child like thrill out of racing each other down a deserted country lane at 30mph! We have had no accidents or disasters as we are using mainly country roads in the middle of the week and in the middle of the day when roads are not so busy. I once fell into a verge and nearly wet myself laughing but that's the nearest we have got to any kind of incident!
I have learnt how to ride with a bad back, using the battery more when it hurts more, letting my legs take the strain when i feel pain. Having a step through, dutch style bike helps me keep my back in an upright position and i am forever indebted to Juicy bikes for advising me to go in that direction, they were spot on and i feel like i have found my forever bike (it also looks pretty cool :cool:.)
More than anything else it is great fun and allows us to get into the fresh air and do a bit of exercise. So don't hesitate, go and try an ebike out. You will be amazed at how thrilling they are to ride, and you don't have to have thighs like Sir Chris Hoy to enjoy riding a bike again.

Howz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 17, 2019
I used to cycle a lot when I was in my teens (I am 55 now) easily doing 100 miles in a weekend, then of course I had a motorcycle and a car so the cycling was put on the back burner. Now I spend most of my days sitting in the car, middle aged and totally unfit. Last year I purchased a nice specialized mountain bike which I have used around three times...mainly due to riding around 2 miles each time...being knackered, knees hurting....I need to go home and have a lie down!! So around a month ago I bought a used Cyclotricity kit off ebay....what a revelation! The first time out I cycled 7 miles, came back and a few hours later went back out and did another 5 miles, last weekend I cycled 21 miles on Saturday afternoon (The only thing hurting was my backside :D) Yesterday I went for a leisurely 15 miles, really enjoying the cycling and have gone from no exercise to at least some! cant wait to get back out!

zoros

Pedelecer
May 15, 2019
Still getting to like it. Kalkhoff Performance CX 500. 70Nm.
Eco/tour/sport/turbo x 8 gears.
Eco seems a waste of time to be honest, can't work out why it's an option??
Turbo is ridiculous and I really feel like I am cheating when this is selected.
I find that the whole thing is designed to keep you "spinning" at a decent cadence and the bike/motor will assist to retain this. In this instance it is very successful and has rejuvenated me and my desire to go out for long bike rides now.
One spin off the shop never talked about, but which I have come to enjoy a lot - is the fact that because the bike is so heavy (relatively) it is very stable - no wobbles when you look behind you and maintains its trajectory better than the traditional bike which occasionally tramlined.
I like this effect.
It's growing on me.

Reactions: Eagleowl and Nev

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Still getting to like it. Kalkhoff Performance CX 500. 70Nm.
Eco/tour/sport/turbo x 8 gears.
Eco seems a waste of time to be honest, can't work out why it's an option??
Turbo is ridiculous and I really feel like I am cheating when this is selected.
I find that the whole thing is designed to keep you "spinning" at a decent cadence and the bike/motor will assist to retain this. In this instance it is very successful and has rejuvenated me and my desire to go out for long bike rides now.
One spin off the shop never talked about, but which I have come to enjoy a lot - is the fact that because the bike is so heavy (relatively) it is very stable - no wobbles when you look behind you and maintains its trajectory better than the traditional bike which occasionally tramlined.
I like this effect.
It's growing on me.
Eco mode on the Bosch Active Line motor is mainly the one I use, other than off. I find it very useful for slight head winds and very slight inclines. You can certainly tell it's on! I have been using this, Motus, my first bike for just short of six months now and my fitness levels have improved drastically. Over the same 21 mile route one bar of my battery charge used to equate to about 12 miles the way I rode. Now I do it and my battery still shows a full five bar charge on my return. That, of course, means I am not using the motor like I used to. My average speeds are !uch higher as is my endurance. I am living proof that ebikes are not cheating, provided, you are making some personal effort and not just switching to a higher mode of assistance unnecessarily. My aim is to do 100 miles (single trip) on one charge of my basic 300Wh battery. It may not come this summer but I will do it, the sooner the better as I am 71 years old today and time is flying past.

zoros

Pedelecer
May 15, 2019
My goodness - you're clearly a hard act to follow! I am very impressed that you can get enormous ranges out of your bike already, never mind the big 100 miler you're hoping to achieve.
Well done and I look fwd to following in your footsteps :cool:

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
My goodness - you're clearly a hard act to follow! I am very impressed that you can get enormous ranges out of your bike already, never mind the big 100 miler you're hoping to achieve.
Well done and I look fwd to following in your footsteps :cool:
I need to point out that I started cycling again as part of my rehab from my heart attack and chose an ebike that, specifically, I could use WITHOUT the motor easily. The Motus with its Bosch motor turned out to be a no brainer. I only wanted the motor as my 'lifeline' and as such try not to use it at all if I can. That way I can get the exercise I need and still stay confident of getting home. Cycling has now gone from essential exercise to unadulterated pleasure. My last ride was in ideal condition using gravel roads and canal towpaths. My local area has lots of flat mossland and hence my ranges may not be typical. However I find with judicious use of the motor when necessary I can expect 75 + miles in undulating countryside. I pace myself and have found that spot on cadence the Bosch motor just loves. You know you have it right when your projected range keeps increasing, not reducing. Many is the time I have returned from a ride with my estimated range higher than when I started. I don't thing my ebike is in any case a one off. You gain experience and get to know the bike better the more you use it, plus, I'm a service freak. My drive train gets thoroughly cleaned regularly, my tyres are set to the highest pressure they will take and most of all I don't rush but just keep that regular cadence that keeps me at about 17/18mph. You don't even feel the motor cut out if you keep up the momentum. The bike itself is comfortable and very well built and at £1600 (now £1700) was an absolute snip. Yes there are cheaper bikes but I doubt they will have the build quality of the Raleigh Motus/Bosch combination. It is the perfect tarmac/gravel road bike for anyone of my age and ability. I just cannot fault it.... apart from one very squeeky front brake..no matter how many times I clean the disc and pads. I've learned to live with it. As for the 'century' my wife hates the idea given my age, heart and spinal problems but it's something I really want to do and age is simply a number and purely relative. Act 71 and you will feel 71. Maybe it would best be done in some sort of organised ride which has good support, just to keep her happy.

zoros

Pedelecer
May 15, 2019
Inspirational. You should do a blog of your adventures!
I agree with you, having only owned a Kahlkoff endeavour Performance CX (500) for a week, I am already learning to love unique features of the process of owning an EBike, for instance and as you mentioned, the 'cadence'...that spinning momentum with your pedals that the Bosch is comfortable with and yes, it seems to be around 18mph. She likes going up hill in 3rd with 'sport ' selected - effortless. The weight of the bike gives me more confidence, in that it doesn't 'wobble' like a normal bike.
I live in very hilly terrain. My village is 400 ASL and all routes out and in are steep, but once on the coast, I'm away without any assistance. I even made an excuse yesterday to 'pop' to the garage 5 miles away to use the air gun to pump the tyres up properly!!

Keep blogging.......;)

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Hello

I have always had a bike commute 15 miles a day for years. Retired from teaching and bought an e bike to get me up the hills. My Kalkhoff was great when I bought it in 2011. For the last 9 months Krapkoff and 50frithty cycles have not been able to supply a worn replacement part so I have an expensive pile of scrap in the garage. I have bought a new bike and not an e bike from Krapkoff. This was a £2000 bike and sit cannot be used, this us a disgrace.
That does sound annoying but £2k for 7 years use isn't actually too bad in the scheme of things. Less than a pound a day after all...how many miles did you do on it?

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I need to point out that I started cycling again as part of my rehab from my heart attack and chose an ebike that, specifically, I could use WITHOUT the motor easily. The Motus with its Bosch motor turned out to be a no brainer. I only wanted the motor as my 'lifeline' and as such try not to use it at all if I can. That way I can get the exercise I need and still stay confident of getting home. Cycling has now gone from essential exercise to unadulterated pleasure. My last ride was in ideal condition using gravel roads and canal towpaths. My local area has lots of flat mossland and hence my ranges may not be typical. However I find with judicious use of the motor when necessary I can expect 75 + miles in undulating countryside. I pace myself and have found that spot on cadence the Bosch motor just loves. You know you have it right when your projected range keeps increasing, not reducing. Many is the time I have returned from a ride with my estimated range higher than when I started. I don't thing my ebike is in any case a one off. You gain experience and get to know the bike better the more you use it, plus, I'm a service freak. My drive train gets thoroughly cleaned regularly, my tyres are set to the highest pressure they will take and most of all I don't rush but just keep that regular cadence that keeps me at about 17/18mph. You don't even feel the motor cut out if you keep up the momentum. The bike itself is comfortable and very well built and at £1600 (now £1700) was an absolute snip. Yes there are cheaper bikes but I doubt they will have the build quality of the Raleigh Motus/Bosch combination. It is the perfect tarmac/gravel road bike for anyone of my age and ability. I just cannot fault it.... apart from one very squeeky front brake..no matter how many times I clean the disc and pads. I've learned to live with it. As for the 'century' my wife hates the idea given my age, heart and spinal problems but it's something I really want to do and age is simply a number and purely relative. Act 71 and you will feel 71. Maybe it would best be done in some sort of organised ride which has good support, just to keep her happy.
The squeaky front brake is likely oil contamination in the pads. Just replace them and you'll likely be sorted. I had that issue and my LBS fixed it for £10.

whosjack

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 16, 2019
I ended up converting my cheap and cheerful bike into an e-bike a year ago because...I'm 52 and a brittle asthmatic. So I would either not be able to use it at all for months on end (usually the whole summer) or everywhere I wanted to go to was too far away for my minimal fitness level.

I can build up my fitness level slowly with an e-bike, and what's more I'm not afraid to start out on a journey because I know I can get home! (but I have a throttle fitted that helps ;)

Reactions: Eagleowl

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
The squeaky front brake is likely oil contamination in the pads. Just replace them and you'll likely be sorted. I had that issue and my LBS fixed it for £10.
Done all that, even replaced the rotor. Tried different types of pads. Done all the 'solutions' on YouTube and the quiet lasts no more than a few hundred yards and it starts again. There is absolutely nothing nothing else I can do that hasn't already been tried. I've decided to live with as I'm spending more time trying to de-squeek it than actually riding!

Zalion

Just Joined
Jun 22, 2019
It means I can actually ride a bike in Brighton, the hills here are ridiculous but I used to manage a few years ago before I put on a lot of weight.
Now, having an electric bike means I can cycle up those hills ( done half way) get off and run along the bike while the throttle is on.
Guess I’m getting back into it and giving the car a miss for journeys less than three miles each way to start with

Adamski

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2018
Hi everyone!
Up until a couple of years ago I was running 25-30k per week, swimming, cycling, skiing, and kite surfing.
Throw in some other mountain sports and various water activities and you have a picture of an active, happy person. Then, it all went wrong, 4 years of stomach problems, heart issues, and massive joint pains and eventually a diagnosis of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, POTS, Raynauds, and a couple of other fun things that are a bit too personal to discuss.
I lost 2 inches in height, started to have difficulty with walking and even sleeping!
I had a short while sulking, sold my motorbikes, and road bikes as I couldn’t ride them anymore, and cut the running right back...I honestly thought one of the funnest activities (bikes) was gone for ever.
Then I had a try on an e bike, and CRIKEY!
This was amazing!
I had a couple of rides on hire bikes, took a Halfords trial twice, and once funds allowed I have bought myself a Voodoo Bazinga...I know that isn’t what it is really called, but it’s the only thing I can think of when I talk about it.
I have only had it a week or so, but it has allowed me to have the mobility AND fun that makes my life what it is!
I am planning on using it at home, for fitness AND nipping to the shops/friends locally At our house in France, in one of the country parks, so lots of scenery to explore and routes to try. In Italy, in the Alps, we have some fantastic trails to explore, along with a newly developed downhill course...I may not take part in that, but I will be able to continue up, and over the horse shoe summit, and see how far I can go before the terrors set in!
My electric bike has quite literally given me something back that I thought I had lost forever! I will be posting video and blogs about my adventures...as well as renting out our flat to other bikers, or skiers!
I need to update this!

I had been feeling strange(r than normal) recently, and started going blind in one eye, with very blurred vision in other!
Being a man, I ignored it and assumed it would go away, it didn’t, and a massive headache joined in too, so I went to the doctors.
Rather than give me some aspirin and sending me on my way, he made me an appointment straight away at hospital...not scary at all!
Three or four hours later and I am told I have been having TIAs, also known as mini strokes! They sent me home with a big bag of medication and NO DRIVING LICENSE FOR A MONTH!

This is quite a shock, as driving is a major element of my job... I work in sales.

My boss handled it well, I can use the train and my electric scooter for long journeys and my e bike for local ones!

The major thing is I can still get to the shops, meet with friends, and just have a normal life thanks to my lovely Bazinga.
I didn’t think this was so close, but I am very thankful I decided to go electric, bit the bullet, and spent the cash!

Crossroads

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
ARE FRIENDS ELECTRIC?

A few decades back I was a 20 mile a week runner, but twenty years of running did the cartilage in my knee and I had to stop. Then I got into walking, which was great but I got bored with walking every path within half a day of my house and being chased around by livestock and bitten by fisherman’s dogs.

“I thought you said that your dog was ok?”
“He is”
“He’s just bitten me hard in the crutch!”
“ That’s not my dog.”

Which is when I got back into biking, which I had left after The Mountain Bike craze in the 1990’s.

I very nearly came aboard the E Bike revolution in around 2011, but several resources, including this forum, convinced me it was best to wait a while and I bought a Brompton M6L in racing green with a Brooks saddle which has done me well, stood up very well and is still a pleasure.

I am a Fifties man ,have many hobbies and interests, old enough to have watched the first Moon walk, always interested in history, space exploration, real ale, science, music, books, astronomy, Bristol City FC, motorsport, maps, playing instruments and birdwatching / wildlife. my list of ‘ex hobbies’ is even longer, including playing in bands.

I bought a Cube Kathmandu Hybrid Pro 500, CX motor about 1,200 miles back, it’s been great but I upgraded the saddle to a Brooks and the tyres to Schwalbe Marathon Plus. The rear wheel is now a very strong Shimano mountain bike wheel, after a nasty moment with a hole and a rock off road. My input is much stronger after seven months, the CX was a good choice at the time but I would probably get an active line plus now, largely because riding the CX much above the cut off is hard work on the flat. Also, as predicted by many forum members, it is no longer quiet.

I mostly ride for leisure, typically doing 15-20 miles a trip around my undulating circuit of fairly traffic free villages. It’s a cyclists race track, basically and I’m frequently passed by pelotons of lycra clad club cyclists, who all seem friendly enough. Me? Sometimes I ride hard for fitness and sometimes I take it easy and take my mini Leica binoculars with me for the birds. I can be fairly certain that I will see something very interesting if I haven’t got them and and load of pigeons and crows if I have got them! Anyway, last ride I found a Reed Warbler, feeding a juvenile on a canal bank, so always a chance of something interesting.

Before I bought the E Bike I was rather unfit. Now I’m aerobically fit, according to my fitbit, resting heart rate about 64, not too bad for an old ‘un.

Anyway, it’s not so much about that, it’s getting out in the countryside, watching a pair of kingfishers for half an hour ,or going out at night and counting the Glow Worms along the canal and riding along traffic free country lanes by moonlight. I’m recently retired and life is good.

Anyway, EVs are the future, I love the bike and I’m researching my first electric car.EqK1t7ftTF+7ea%1deTAqQ.jpg

Last edited: