Case studies - how has your electric bike changed your life?

Retired98

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 18, 2019
We bought e bikes about two years back, and we both try and get out at least twice a week together from spring to autumn, very rarely go out in winter, we just do just short trips and we enjoy it. Only downside is the roads around us are very busy to get to the quiet country roads. Same trips get a bit boring, but we still enjoy getting out. When we finally get transport sorted we are looking forward to taking bikes on holiday with us.

Cugel

Just Joined
Jul 30, 2019
I'm an ex-racing. ex-club cyclist of many years with a wife who was a runner but now cycles and swims instead, to avoid the damage to the body that running can do in later life. I no longer go racing or club riding because we moved to a location where there are no races and no club of a suitable kind for me.

We also decided, as part of the move, to have a change of lifestyle, to a more leisured way of doing exercise, as part of a wider enjoyment of the beautiful new area (in West Wales) we've moved to. It's made for cycling (if you're fit or want to be). Very light traffic; considerate drivers; a zillion miles of yellow roads going through the most beautiful places.

The ladywife is fit but not nearly as much as I am at cycling. It's new to her and I've been superfit for cycling for decades. Although I can (and do) avoid going out with her to have a mock race, it is more pleasant for me (and her) if we can both make an effort (for the fitness bit) yet ride together. An electric bike for her was the answer as it brings "her" power up to mine.

After much research and trying-out, she bought a racey-style model: A Focus Paralane2 with a Fazua Evation motor system. This looks and rides like a non-electric bike but allows her to go just as fast as me up the hills, which is what West Wales is made of. We have some excellent rides, side-by-side or otherwise together rather than me up the road waiting for her to catch up (which is what inevitably happens if she goes out with me on an ordinary bike).

The Paralane2 is of the e-bike type that demands the rider put in effort before it awards e-help. The harder you pedal, the more it will add to your own power, detected via strain gauges in it's BB gearbox. The less you thrust, the less help you get. For riders wanting to use an e-bike for fitness as well as just going about, this is ideal. She's already much fitter au-naturale on a bike than when she began regular cycling some 6 months ago. Perhaps I'll persuade her to leave the Paralane2's motor and battery behind, at some point in the future, to see how she goes without the help. Perhaps she'll drop me? :)

Andy52

Jul 28, 2019
Nice to see all these happy posts. I am 67 and disabled by COPD and ME/CFS and can't walk very far due to weakness in my back muscles and a total lack of stamina. As a rugby playing lumberjack in my working days, this is very frustrating. Getting a bike meant I could exercise in a sitting position. An ebike seemed to be the solution.
I ordered a Carrera Vulcan rear hub drive from Custom eBikes Online with a lot of watts as there are hundreds of miles of forestry roads around here. First trip, hopped on, pushed the pedal to go and shot forward 20 yards into a wall. The bike missed it but I didn't. There was a lot more assistance than I thought. Back in to stem the bleeding and straight back on to the bike. Possibly a bit too ambitious but my target was a cafe about 7 miles away at Benmore Gardens on a dead flat coastal road. The problem soon arose. While I was loving the ride and the help from the motor, my bum was in agony. No muscles or padding there meant my bum bones were getting pretty sore. After 3 miles, I decided to head back home but wanted to test the motor on a very steep hill on a different route back. A touch on the throttle and the bike shot up the hill no problem.
A new, wider "big bum" saddle is on order and I can't wait to get back out. This will be a game changer for me and if I get a breathing attack while I'm out, a touch of the throttle will get me home without any effort. So far, loving it!

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Strangely I get more than just physical exercise out of ebiking. I find a quiet contentment not found walking or driving. It's the one thing that a disabled person, provided you can physically ride, can do and seem no different to anyone else. I went away on holiday for only a week recently and I found myself actually missing that damned bike every day. My wife really understands as she says I'm a different person when I come back from a decent ride. I'm happy to the point of being hyper and it shows. I just wish I'd bought one years ago but it's never too late.

Crossroads

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
The feeling of euphoria on the release of endorphins during exercise is well documented.
There is a non harmful tendency to addiction and the effect may be more intense at the start of an exercise regime or after a lay off.
You may have to exercise more ,eventually, to feel the same euphoria.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Still riding, still loving so much so here's my bikes.....yes bikes, lucky to have 2 of them now.
Haibike was my original mountain bike (as was hubby's) and now we have the Canyon's....
IMG_2569.JPGHaibike-sDuro-AllMtn-RC-2016-eBike-780x468.jpgIMG_20190205_112022 - Edited.jpgskye 2017 - Edited.jpg

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
I've had my ebike for just over a year now and hadn't ridden a push bike since I was 15 years old, I'm now 58. I absolutely love it and ride at every opportunity, I've lost 10Kg in weight and my knee's that were very painful are much better now. My joint pain overall is much better and my blood pressure is lower than it's been for years. The health benefits are just a bonus to the whole cycling experience. I'd love to join a club but need to pay my new wife some attention and she doesn't want to cycle. I keep off the road as much as possible but we have a brilliant off road cycling network in South Yorkshire that I use all the time. I can ride in to the city centre if I want to, quicker than my car or on the bus. I even go out when it's wet as I have loads of cheap cycling clothing from places like Sports Direct and Amazon. I got started by our local council lending me an ebike when they came to our offices. After that I bought my Cube Cross Pro with the cycle to work scheme tax free and then went on to buy an unassisted mountain bike. I've got it all going on and even compete with my mates doing segments on Strava.

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
Nice to see all these happy posts. I am 67 and disabled by COPD and ME/CFS and can't walk very far due to weakness in my back muscles and a total lack of stamina. As a rugby playing lumberjack in my working days, this is very frustrating. Getting a bike meant I could exercise in a sitting position. An ebike seemed to be the solution.
I ordered a Carrera Vulcan rear hub drive from Custom eBikes Online with a lot of watts as there are hundreds of miles of forestry roads around here. First trip, hopped on, pushed the pedal to go and shot forward 20 yards into a wall. The bike missed it but I didn't. There was a lot more assistance than I thought. Back in to stem the bleeding and straight back on to the bike. Possibly a bit too ambitious but my target was a cafe about 7 miles away at Benmore Gardens on a dead flat coastal road. The problem soon arose. While I was loving the ride and the help from the motor, my bum was in agony. No muscles or padding there meant my bum bones were getting pretty sore. After 3 miles, I decided to head back home but wanted to test the motor on a very steep hill on a different route back. A touch on the throttle and the bike shot up the hill no problem.
A new, wider "big bum" saddle is on order and I can't wait to get back out. This will be a game changer for me and if I get a breathing attack while I'm out, a touch of the throttle will get me home without any effort. So far, loving it!
Well done, Andy. Its addictive and enjoyable. Notice you were speaking about a wide saddle. I have a back problem and found a wider saddle helped greatly. The one I went for was the Giant Connect City, cost around £20 and it has been fantastic. Its wide without looking grossly disproportionate. Best saddle I've had in years.

Reactions: Eagleowl

Andy52

Jul 28, 2019
Well done, Andy. Its addictive and enjoyable. Notice you were speaking about a wide saddle. I have a back problem and found a wider saddle helped greatly. The one I went for was the Giant Connect City, cost around £20 and it has been fantastic. Its wide without looking grossly disproportionate. Best saddle I've had in years.
I wasn't too worried about looks so just got a cheap one on Ebay (a wonderful place) to see if it solves the problem. Feels good just sitting on it but not been out yet.

Adamski

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2018
I wasn't too worried about looks so just got a cheap one on Ebay (a wonderful place) to see if it solves the problem. Feels good just sitting on it but not been out yet.
You may be surprised at the level of support you have/haven’t from the same saddle in slightly different positions
Spend time getting it positioned really well, and you will Be rewarded with pain free rides!

I too have a very bony ass, so went through the same process, it was a road biker that spent an hour with me, setting the bike to suit my (odd) body, and the difference was astounding!

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
[quote="bonerp, post: 214739, member: 11547"
With e bikes you still get the exercise and I will turn it off on the journey home from work.
Now where've I heard that before?... :)
[/QUOTE]

I do actually do this !

...well almost

I power in on pas 9 and head home on pas 2*

*Unless its windy**

**Or raining***

***Or the day ends in a y

Reactions: Croxden

bbckate

Just Joined
Aug 5, 2019
Hi all.

I hope you don't mind me posting on here but I'm a reporter from the BBC and I'm writing a feature on this very topic. I've interviewed a couple of members already but I'm looking for another case study for my piece. I'm ideally looking for someone in their 20s or 30s whose life has been improved by an e-bike. I've already spoken to people aged 40+ and I'd really like a broad range in my article.

Can anyone help?!

Thanks
Kate

harrgate

Just Joined
Oct 1, 2019
Hi everyone

I’m looking to publish a few stories on the home page ‘news’ area to give examples of the various reasons people buy one and therefore the benefits of e-bikes.

We had this great example a few months back of getting heart-patient Nick back in the saddle. I’d really like a whole host more to show all the different reasons to spur others on in similar situations to try an e-bike.

Dodgy knees, cracking on a bit (it comes to us all!), wanting to get fit, commuting, other health issues.. I’d like to publish people’s experiences in their own words. How they chose their bike, what they do with it, how it’s changed their lives. It certainly doesn’t have to be expertly written and I’d like to show ‘every day’ people with ‘every day’ problems, as well as anything more unusual that their e-bike has overcome, hopefully with a picture of you and your bike too.

I have PMd a couple of members already discussing their experiences on here, so still hoping they’re not going to be shy..

Similarly if any businesses are using e-bikes I’d like to hear about that too.

Please PM me if you'd like to share your story.

Thanks everyone :)
I have been using an e bike to get to work although my journey is only 9 miles it can take up to 2 hrs by bus across South London on most days. It's great to be out in the open and my journey is reduced to 45 mins .I have a folding MTB which I have taken to Skye and the Highlands ,very handy where transport is scarce. The bike managed a very steep set of hills with little effort.

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
I agree with the sentiments entirely but when one has acute heart failure (often misunderstood) walking just a few paces often becomes difficult, after even reasonable exertion one’s legs become unstable - what then do I do with my super beautiful Batribike Quarts?

Jimo

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I agree with the sentiments entirely but when one has acute heart failure (often misunderstood) walking just a few paces often becomes difficult, after even reasonable exertion one’s legs become unstable - what then do I do with my super beautiful Batribike Quarts?

Jimo
Hi all.

I hope you don't mind me posting on here but I'm a reporter from the BBC and I'm writing a feature on this very topic. I've interviewed a couple of members already but I'm looking for another case study for my piece. I'm ideally looking for someone in their 20s or 30s whose life has been improved by an e-bike. I've already spoken to people aged 40+ and I'd really like a broad range in my article.

Can anyone help?!

Thanks
Kate
I'm 41 and bought my first ebike at 25 which was rubbish and got stolen. Then again at 31 and built, fixed and ridden ever since. So outside your age demographic just now but experience within. Happy to help if I can

phytema

Just Joined
Nov 8, 2019
Hull, UK
Hi all.

Can anyone help?!

Thanks
Kate
You should mention in your piece that aftersales support for e-bikes is generally mediocre. There are many small online retailers who don't support their products. For instance, I have a few broken spokes in the rear wheel of my e-bike and I can't get any bike shop to fix them or replace the wheel so the bike is in storage. A bit of wasted money.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Its quite easy to learn how to maintain a wheel with broken spokes and truing it up if you are willing to apply your self, then you are non reliant on trying to find an LBS to do the work. In my years of owning bicycles since about age 10 (now 56) I have never had to take a one to a LBS for repair.
All wheel truing/repairing needs is a bit of time and patience, after 2 or 3 efforts it gets easier and can save you a ew hundred quid. A methodical application is all that is required, work one side then the other then tweak both sides as where needed once they have been adjusted once.

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
I bought my 2011 Batribike Quartz in November ‘18 and have not ridden it yet due to having Chronic Heart Failure at 82, some days I feel better than others but on bad days I can just walk a few car lengths before becoming totally exhausted.
I love that bike and its design and in Jan ‘19 had Jimmy re- cell the battery so I can get a few years use out of it.
I anticipate doing my own work on the bike so bought a best quality cycle servicing stand to mount the bike on while carrying out work on it, a tool kit and other bits, I needed a cycle pump a touch better than the old Bluemels type of yesteryear so bought an all singing and dancing high pressure type to stow in my pannier bag, having heard stories of broken spokes I bought a set of rear wheel spokes from Batribike to add to my collection of goodies, to try and protect the bike from theft I bought a large size Litelok lock.

I really, really want to use the bike and experience the joys of riding claimed by others, my only problem is that I don’t have any cycling friends in my area to share experiences with or give me added enthusiasm to ride in my area of Norfolk.

Jim

Last edited:

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
I bought my 2011 Batribike Quartz in November ‘18 and have not ridden it yet due to having Chronic Heart Failure at 82, some days I feel better than others but on bad days I can just walk a few car lengths before becoming totally exhausted.
I love that bike and its design and in Jan ‘19 had Jimmy re- cell the battery so I can get a few years use out of it.
I anticipate doing my own work on the bike so bought a best quality cycle servicing stand to mount the bike on while carrying out work on it, a tool kit and other bits, I needed a cycle pump a touch better than the old Bluemels type of yesteryear so bought an all singing and dancing high pressure type to stow in my pannier bag, having heard stories of broken spokes I bought a set of rear wheel spokes from Batribike to add to my collection of goodies, to try and protect the bike from theft I bought a large size Litelok lock.

I really, really want to use the bike and experience the joys of riding claimed by others, my only problem is that I don’t have any cycling friends in my area to share experiences with or give me added enthusiasm to ride in my area of Norfolk.

Jim
Aye up Jimo. Muddyfox here from Maxi Muppets. How are you keeping ?
Found this site after I remembered you mentioned it on MM Forum. Searching for my first eBike so have found this site educational. I've think I have found an ideal eBike but go on holiday for 3 weeks tomorrow and the auction ends Sunday. Cannot justify spending such a sum of money without seeing or riding the bike first. Still there's always the January sales the wife keeps mentioning.

Last edited:

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Good to see you MF, nice to hear you’re thinking about e-bikes, I love mine and would not change it, I bought it not knowing about regulation changes in 2015 banning direct throttles, fortunately my bike is protected by the Grandfather Clause permitting throttles on pre 2016 bikes.
Still have my collection of m/c’s and hope to get back into the garage as soon as my condition improves. You’ve chosen a very good site for knowledge about e-bikes, there are plenty of good knowledgeable guys here who are able to answer most questions and e-biker could have.
What bike do you have in mind? We will meet someday when an MM ride-out gets near Fakenham.
Look after yourself........

Jim

Last edited: